COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Historical European Combat Resource

Hello! I wanted to create a database for good examples of Historical European Combat, thing's that could be used as a reference for Animation or a knowledge bank of how thing's were handled in the past.

I'll update the following links below into embedded videos once the forums have been updated.

A SUPER long video for those who want a lil something to play in the background.

Back to the Source

Sources:

Wiktenauer: "Wiktenauer is an ongoing collaboration among researchers and practitioners from across the Western martial arts community, seeking to collect all of the primary and secondary source literature that makes up the text of historical European martial arts research and to organize and present it in a scholarly but accessible format."

HEMA: All my personal experience comes from my participation in HEMA. I'm relatively new so my own personal input should be taken with a grain of salt, but if you have the time, click on this link and get a data overload on what HEMA is.

Individuals:

Axel Pettersson: One of the world's best longsword fencer. Has won numerous competitions (and the fencing jacket that was named after him is super swanky). A good reference for Longswords

Krist Martens: Also an excellent longsword fencer who makes a lot of good videos. Another example

Ikka Hartikainen: An excellent single hand swordsman. Has a lot of videos you can reference for animations.

James Clark: One of the leading figures on the use of a Montante.

Pursuing The Knightly Arts: a group of folks that go over knightly armed combat in harness.

Scholagladiatoria: Pretty sure you guys have seen this guy around.

Skallagrim: This guy too.

Jessica Finley: Sometimes referred to as the Queen of Ringen. An excellent fencer as well as medieval wrestler.

Images and Diagrams

Even though the style is very Anime inspired, the message this artist gets across is amazing. Drawing Armory

Excellent Sword and Buckler charts from byzantineoplomachia

Shameless plug for my post on Historical Diagrams of European Weapons and Armor post

2/23/2016 1:36:04 AM #1

I love that people keep posting these because I want realistic combat

2/29/2016 6:37:23 AM #2

From another game, but these guys seem to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4xgxaQqulU

3/15/2016 10:13:15 PM #3

A great video on Historical European Martial Arts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmTi-NGQNh8&t=1256s

3/16/2016 8:50:19 AM #4

https://www.youtube.com/user/lindybeige/ has some good videos as well

3/16/2016 1:13:37 PM #5

Yerp! I liked his video on what a bastard sword was since some folks were convinced that's what some of the HEMA folks use wasn't a "longsword".

3/16/2016 1:37:30 PM #6

I don't like Longswords as much as I like Warhammers. Although, I do love Warhammers.

If you want to be my lover, you gotta get with my friend code: 926EE6

4/12/2016 12:13:48 AM #7

Example of a treatise in practice.

Video Shortpoint 2016 Norwood vs Mayott Control Point

Treatise: MS Ludwig XV 13, Folio 33v

(can not WAIT for the new forums to auto-fix image sizing >.<)

5/18/2016 8:26:59 PM #8

5/18/2016 8:49:25 PM #9

I've just started HEMA myself, I'm a member of York Freefencer's Guild in York, England, studying the works of Joachim Meyer. :D

5/18/2016 9:00:32 PM #10

Aw snap son, Atlanta Freifechter here, also studying under Meyer! WAAAZZUUUP!!

5/18/2016 9:16:32 PM #11

What're the chances xD Lets hope we can sneak some of Meyer's teachings into the game via posts like this. :P Just ordered a sweet custom feder from Peter Regenyei who's a Hungarian swordmaker...can't wait to try it out when it comes. :D

5/18/2016 9:23:57 PM #12

Realistic combat is not that fun IMO for this game. Play games like War of the Roses and Chivalry and see for yourself. I play those type of games when i want to, but I would hate only that style in this game.

I also play Gloria Victis that is realistic MMORPG already, I don't see the need to make another MMORPG with that same realistic combat.

I would like faster paced combat here with crazy combos and more fun to it. Semi-realistic!!

See you in 2018 beta of COE!!! Should be fun my friends!! -- I wrote this in 2015

See you in 2019 beta of COE!!! Should be fun my friends!! -- I wrote this in 2017

5/18/2016 9:32:05 PM #13

'Chivalry' and 'realistic combat' don't belong in the same sentence. :P That's quite the juxtaposition.

5/18/2016 9:33:13 PM #14

@Pharticus Eh I'm not telling them to make it super realistic, I'm just showing them that there's diversity in the styles of European swordsmanship and that they're all not just up/down/left/right strikes (like how War of the Roses and those directional games show it). So I'm in agreement with ya in that those types of gameplay wouldn't be fun. I was hoping that they'd look at this and think, hey, I had no idea that swords swung this way or that way, or there are guards like this that we can add to the game as just a pose, or how a large sword like a montante starts from it being pointed down to the ground and kicked or how the body mechanics work for the animators on how a sword like that thrusts. Also real sword fights ARE fast. A long bout is about 10 seconds.

Also Lord Couper, I also ordered a sword from him!! A modified Custom Type IX Feder (but I ordered that thing since January and still don't have it! >.<)

5/18/2016 9:33:32 PM #15

Considering how realistic they're making everything else I would expect this game to have really realistic combat, don't expect final fantasy type stuff with c-c-c-combo breakers! and stuff like that. It'll be all about parrying, slashing, stabbing, riposting all at the right time.