COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Concerning Release vs Monies

So I am very excited about what I have been seeing with the development of this game. My hope is that it won't be much longer and the game will be released. With that said, I can not see paying money for something that isn't out yet. I understand that games need money for development and that monies are needed for productions, but with no actual date set for a release, I can not see spending even thirty to sixty bucks on a starter must less over a grand on something that may or may not happen. EverQuest Next had a ton of supporters and a ton of money invested into it and then all of a sudden the C.E.O. posts that it is cancelled!

I am all for this game but very reluctant on spending money on it at this time. When is the game going to be released?

5/2/2017 3:29:21 AM #1

Hi Aniise,

Welcome to the community. I'm the Owner / CEO of the studio. Thanks for showing an interest in the game, and thanks for joining us on the forums.

Crowdfunding is awkward and uncomfortable for a lot of people, and it's perfectly understandable you'd want to wait until the game is done or in a later stage of development - such as beta - before deciding to make a purchase.

We completely understand. Just hang out in the community, engage in conversation, learn about the game, track our progress, and if/when you feel comfortable buying a copy of the game through a pledge package, feel free to do so. We certainly never want someone to put money toward something they're either not comfortable with, or don't believe in.

All that said, Chronicles of Elyria is being ran quite a bit differently. While the game won't be out for some time now, the community is actively engaged in the Dance of Dynasties, and when ElyriaMUD and Kingdoms of Elyria release, people will effectively be playing the game ahead of launch, just in a different format.

They'll be playing a Kingdom Management sim, and a graphical MUD version of the game that, while not the game itself, helps set players up for success later during launch as they play through the past lives of their ancestors.

So, for the sake of your ability to jump in and participate in those Pre-Alpha experiences, I hope you reach a point where you feel comfortable sooner, rather than later.

In either case, thanks for checking us out, and we'll see you around the community!

Cheers!
Caspian

5/2/2017 4:37:57 AM #2

I sort of said this before but one reason I pledged was because I love watching all sorts of things being made from scratch. Whether it's a building going up or cake being baked I love the process of watching something being created. It dosn't matter if I know how to do the thing or not I am watching either. A few years ago, almost a decade now, I was taking monthly trips to the Bronx to watch the new Yankee Stadium being built. I would buy a subway token and stand on the "El" train track right next to the right field wall and take pictures each month.

I payed my $100 to get early access to EQ Landmark and yes that whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth basically because it became more and more apparent the game was becoming just a huge cash grab. First by Sony then even more by the company "Daybreak" that took it over.. Another reason because they really didn't tell you much about the whole process of making the game like they do here. They pretended to involve the fan base with the development by ONCE letting us vote on which of the three very similar designs for a mining tool we preferred. They did have regular video updates but after awhile all they were doing was talking about features we would never see or were broken when we got them. I felt so bad for the developers because you could see they actually cared but it was beyond their control.

My experience here so far has been far different. The developers have tried very hard to keep all their promises and keep us fairly well informed as to what is going on. This greatly helps in making me feel I have gotten my money's worth. If the game should fail now somehow, God forbid, I would feel disappointed and sad but I wouldn't have the same bad taste in my mouth that Sony and Daybreak left me with.

You should never donate for something you are uncomfortable donating for but I have to say as of now I have no regrets that I did for this game even if it were to fail tomorrow.

5/2/2017 4:48:25 AM #3

Aniise,

This post last year Looking Back & Charging Forward told me there was something different here..

And this post Pre-Alpha Experiences ,as Caspian mentioned, details the exciting things we have to look forward to in the near future.

The amount of player involvement you see in the development of CoE is not something we see very often if at all.

And judging by the personal response you just got.. the team behind all this is pretty good too =D

5/2/2017 5:54:06 AM #4

While many eople have a similar response of getting burned before, or have been suckkered into buying an ealy access game only to find out it wasnt really their thing. People grow wearry of promises made by big companies or fear that there are not enough resources available to finish a project. The people of the community respect that, and still welcome with open arms those who feel this way. I know many members of our smaller sub communities who stick around and contribute just by being a member of the community. I myself started that way before the kickstarter released, and am now on my way at pledging as a count.

I believe however that the devs have been very clear and straightforward with the community about what their goal is and how they plan to get there.

1) they are not reinventing the wheel. To keep it short and simple, they have a front end graphics system, and a backend system with components designed by SpacialOS. The devs are the builders who tie these two systems together like lego blocks.

2) there are A number of smaller development studios who havemade amazing and fun games. We are at a shift of gaming where a studio doesnt need over a hundred people working on a game in order for it to be succesful.

3) because the game is crowdfunded for the most part it allows them to focus on a game that is more inline with the community wants, instead of a third party investor who puts on the pressure for a realesed product rather than a finished product.

4) the devs have setup the game so that people can play the core mechanics at release and focus their development on other game aspects depending on the desires of the community through things like research.

5) coe is more of a social mmo, its about the stories and experiences generated through player interaction. Its not meant to be a game you buy and play for a week only to come back to it six months later.

Those have been my reasons for supporting the game. But if your not willing to support it financially, then join it socially, you just posting here already shows a desire to be part of this community. The rest ill come when you feel comfortable to do so :)

5/2/2017 6:02:34 AM #5

OP welcome to the community :-)

You should not back if you have doubts. However you should also respect the people of the community that have put up significant pledges. Saying your super interested but making arguments on why we should not have pledged seems very disingenuous to me.

Great don't pledge but if everyone were to follow your flawed logic we would not even be here today because their kickstarter would have failed.

I find people that say they love the game but then write a paragraph on why they won't pledge very much being a debbie downer. It is a crowdfunded game if that model doesn't appeal sit back watch for the development milestones and when ready buy a pledge but please save me the doom and gloom on why I am stupid for pledging myself.

5/2/2017 6:32:13 AM #6

Posted By Ortherion at 08:02 AM - Tue May 02 2017

However you should also respect the people of the community that have put up significant pledges. Saying your super interested but making arguments on why we should not have pledged seems very disingenuous to me.

I wouldn't say respect, because respect has to be earned. I mean im not gonna respect someone who bought a Porsche just because they bought a Porsche. I think what your trying to say is admire those who have taken the leap of faith to support the game and what it stands for.

Besides that i think people have the right to say why they do not feel ready to support a game provided they have a reason. A reason the OP has clearly gone through the effort and has given. It keeps everyone on their toes as well and allows us to strive forward to find ways to work on getting rid of this sense of skepticism instead of chasing off those who are willing to support a game but not ready enough to take part in it financially.

That brings me to #6 which i forgot in my OP. 6) The community is upbeat and patient, and very supportive of the game. In a way it is a philosophy instilled on to the community as a whole and that continues to take root. It has the ability to convert skeptics into to die hard supporters of the game :)

5/2/2017 6:38:59 AM #7

Primus Dedumo +1 you said it much better than I did in my post.

I was trying to say indeed that without people willing to take such a leap of faith we would not even be here today. We have a welcoming diverse community and my post was not meant to scare her off but I can see it could be read that way, which was not my intent.

5/2/2017 11:31:56 AM #8

Just me but the OP didn't sound like a Debbie Downer to me. She more sounded like someone that wanted to donate to the game but her sensibilities and practicality wouldn't let her and she actually felt bad about it.

If that is the case I greatly look forward to seeing you Anise in the community further down the road. :)

5/2/2017 1:41:54 PM #9

My wife and I both pledged at the old Ursaphant tier and purchased villager tokens. I have an ideal in my head of how I think the game will play out if not I can just walk away. If it turns into something like a Darkfall or Shadowbane then we leave otherwise it might be something epic.

5/2/2017 3:57:30 PM #10

Posted By karat76 at 3:41 PM - Tue May 02 2017

My wife and I both pledged at the old Ursaphant tier and purchased villager tokens. I have an ideal in my head of how I think the game will play out if not I can just walk away. If it turns into something like a Darkfall or Shadowbane then we leave otherwise it might be something epic.

Can only agree. Those who want shadowbane/Darkfall, please go play Crowfall or any other game thats especially about PvP. CoE has the ability to do PvP, but is not a game thats main target is PvP or even fighting.

Friend Code: 30EF47

5/2/2017 5:01:27 PM #11

I really can't see the point in someone posting to complain about spending money on a game that's not made yet or released yet.

If a person doesn't want to spend the money then they wont spend any, those who are willing to do so will do so. Everyone who has pledged is fully aware of the current state of the game and knows the risks.

Making a statement about not understanding why anybody would spend the money doesn't really change anything and doesn't help anybody.

5/3/2017 9:36:16 AM #12

Welcome Aniise to CoE, only been here a little over a month, but wife and I were looking for something to play together. I told her it had a UO/SWG feel to the game. We discussed if it would be a good fit for us and after about three days we bought into a mayor tier. She is really excited as we look to join this awesome community. Already meeting players from our kingdom and waiting for alpha to start.

So welcome again and hope to see you around.

5/9/2017 7:11:11 PM #13

Posted By RedDoggybone at 07:31 AM - Tue May 02 2017

Just me but the OP didn't sound like a Debbie Downer to me. She more sounded like someone that wanted to donate to the game but her sensibilities and practicality wouldn't let her and she actually felt bad about it.

If that is the case I greatly look forward to seeing you Anise in the community further down the road. :)

And this was exactly what I meant, I have, like I said before, very high hopes for the game, and I meant absolutely no disrespect to those who have contributed to the game's financials already. I clearly see that there are tons of supporters. I also made no implication that I wouldn't support the game in the future, only not at this time.
As for the gentleman who commented about wasting time, time is wasted only if you do absolutely nothing.

Thanks for the warm welcomes and I truly do look forward to playing the game.

5/9/2017 7:36:02 PM #14

Posted By Aniise at 8:11 PM - Tue May 09 2017

I meant absolutely no disrespect to those who have contributed to the game's financials already.

Fair enough, but what then is the point to this thread? What was your particular aim in producing it? Please do not think me rude, I honestly just want to know the threads purpose and what kinds of responses were you hoping for?

5/10/2017 2:47:04 AM #15

It appears his concern, as well as mine, is just simply how far the game is currently and how much longer until release, or alpha/beta. I by no means wish to pressure or even insinuate that something as delicate as creating a game should be rushed, but it's hard to pledge without seeing, or feeling it out a little first. No one can dispute that this isn't true, even for those of you who have put in the money early understood the risk involved but had the faith to leap in feet first. I commend you for that, however money can be tight at times and some people can't always put in the risk without atleast being 75% sure that this game is a fit for them. So to wrap it all around full circle, it appears they wanted to know the state of the game and was hoping for a rough estimate into how much longer before we can hope to experience the game :D