COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
OPCs and scripting

Just as a little reassurance for those concerned about lack of scripting knowledge and having to contend with people who do have programming experience...

I've recently heard it'll likely use Typescript. Not something I've used before but it looks similar to Java and several other languages I've dabbled in, so have no concerns about picking it up once we have a list of properties and methods we can play around with etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this regard, but once prologue pops up and we're able to, I will be dabbling in scripts and when I'm happy with them I'll be publishing for general use.

In short, rest assured you shouldn't find yourself at a disadvantage ;)

5/4/2017 4:12:11 PM #1

Typescript has to be compiled (into javascript)... and then it is still a script that has to be interpreted by an engine (v8 I assume).

I wonder if they considered using a language like Lua, it would be easier to test and debug on client-side without needing a development environment. Just need the Lua engine built into the game client. Let the users run their character scripts locally, which will control the character as expected. but for the script to work while they are offline they need to upload it.

Either that or have an interface in game for writing the Lua, such that the script is being saved on the server in real time, then they can test run it while watching their characters actions.

Typescript 'does' give access to more powerful OOP techniques though, where as Lua is a little more linear. So this might be why Typescript instead of Lua?

Lua would be easier for beginner programmers though.

5/5/2017 4:06:03 AM #2

My thinking is that it will be something​ like Java/Script or C#. I know some folks really dig Lua, which I'm not that familiar with, but I'm not sure Lua would work well with all the complexities of CoE.

TypeScript seems a reasonable choice. What I'm curious about though is what we'll have access to script, function wise, and what we will use to write the script? Will CoE have an internal IDE of some sort or will we have to BYO it and then Copy/Paste ala Space Engineer?

The Township of Bris, County Delgora. Friend Code B2CF9C Friend Code B2CF9C

5/5/2017 6:47:29 AM #3

Good guy Oracle

5/5/2017 6:53:05 AM #4

For people who will play the game for extended amounts of time, having to learn how to script even the slightest bit will prove to be fatal to them. Nobody should be required to learn scripting in order to play a game for what it is, it doesnt make sense. I strongly believe that the dev's are shooting themselves in the foot on this one.

5/5/2017 7:16:54 AM #5

Posted By Angryshooter at 07:53 AM - Fri May 05 2017

For people who will play the game for extended amounts of time, having to learn how to script even the slightest bit will prove to be fatal to them. Nobody should be required to learn scripting in order to play a game for what it is, it doesnt make sense. I strongly believe that the dev's are shooting themselves in the foot on this one.

Not really. I'm sure basic scripts will be provided. As I've said though, players like myself will take those scripts and build upon them, supplying the player base.

5/5/2017 7:25:05 AM #6

Posted By Oracle at 03:16 AM - Fri May 05 2017

Not really. I'm sure basic scripts will be provided. As I've said though, players like myself will take those scripts and build upon them, supplying the player base.

i personally, do not like having to rely on an outside source for things as important as this. Forgive me, but i do not think we will ever see eye to eye.

5/5/2017 8:14:56 AM #7

Posted By Angryshooter at 08:25 AM - Fri May 05 2017

Posted By Oracle at 03:16 AM - Fri May 05 2017

i personally, do not like having to rely on an outside source for things as important as this. Forgive me, but i do not think we will ever see eye to eye.

Are dev-supplied scripts outside sources too? If so, you're going to have a bit of difficulty when all the game code you're playing on is outside-sourced too.

You're not reliant on outside sourced code even if you pointedly refuse to look at code. You can just stick with dev supplied or dev approved scripts. Who knows - if players do a decent job with them in prologue, the devs may even adapt them for NPC and general use, then you'll be using generic well tested scripts that were outside sourced when they started out ;)

I'm not so convinced about not seeing eye to eye. I think sometimes people don't realise they are looking in the wrong direction :D

5/5/2017 8:54:34 AM #8

Maybe we should put together a group for scripting? Im learning typescript myself (coming from C, Python, R, and Julia) for this game.

5/5/2017 11:17:50 AM #9

Please excuse my (likely dumb) question, but hasn't Caspian announced that they would work on a 'node based scripting language' instead of their originally planned JS/C#, or later .NET OPC custom scripts?

That would be what is normally refereed to as [visual programming language] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visualprogramminglanguage) (an example is UE 4's own 'Blueprint'). Or am I missing something here?

(Edit: Keeping the bugged link for the reference to report it as forum bug)

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

5/5/2017 11:21:55 AM #10

Posted By Logain at 07:17 AM - Fri May 05 2017

Please excuse my (likely dumb) question, but hasn't Caspian announced that they would work on a 'node based scripting language' instead of their originally planned JS/C#, or later .NET OPC custom scripts?

That would be what is normally refereed to as [visual programming language] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visualprogramminglanguage) (an example is UE 4's own 'Blueprint'). Or am I missing something here?

That information is not quite current. Their intent with the system is to have it still be approachable for the uninitiated, but still robust. Its confirmed that the language is typescript. Its because of some changes in the backend they made recently.

5/5/2017 11:47:51 AM #11

Posted By Kyxsune at 1:21 PM - Fri May 05 2017

(...)Its confirmed that the language is typescript.

Any chance that you'd have a link or something? I'm very interested in that topic!

(...)Its because of some changes in the backend they made recently.

Damn, they're changing design on that fast! That Q&A is less then a month old!

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

5/5/2017 11:59:12 AM #12

Posted By Kyxsune at 09:54 AM - Fri May 05 2017

Maybe we should put together a group for scripting? Im learning typescript myself (coming from C, Python, R, and Julia) for this game.

Once prologues been out for a short time, I was planning on starting a thread, then if needbe asking about a seperate forum page for OPC scripting.

5/5/2017 12:00:43 PM #13

Posted By Logain at 07:47 AM - Fri May 05 2017

(...)Its confirmed that the language is typescript.

Any chance that you'd have a link or something? I'm very interested in that topic!

(...)Its because of some changes in the backend they made recently.

Damn, they're changing design on that fast! That Q&A is less then a month old!

https://unsee.cc/bugisade/

5/5/2017 3:07:41 PM #14

Posted By Kyxsune at 07:21 AM - Fri May 05 2017

That information is not quite current. Their intent with the system is to have it still be approachable for the uninitiated, but still robust. Its confirmed that the language is typescript. Its because of some changes in the backend they made recently.

Did they confirm that visual programming is fully out? I find this debate quite interesting because you have two distinct sides of the coin,

On one hand you have people with an interest or knack for programming. To them the idea of something like Typescript being the implementation is close to a dream come true and opens the door to incredible possibilities for OPC scripts, which is great. To these people if OPC scripting was limited to something like a plug-n-play GUI it would be quite disappointing for what the game could possibly have done and how far it could have gone with OPC scripting.

On the other hand you have people who have never looked into programming, are familiar with using computer systems but know little on how they function or the underlying logic (What is a function, what do you mean it passes information, etc.). to them something like Typescript is an incredibly taxing chore to learn, especially for something which is an INTEGRAL part of the game everyone will NEED to use OPC scripts they are not optional.

I see where you say dev provided scripts will be available for these people but that's honestly a bit of a cop-out answer in my opinion. Consider any metagame where there's the base developer provided strategies/loadouts/etc. The player refined method is always superior, or if it isn't the system is boring and quite simple (which is surely not what programmer inclined players want for OPC scripting right?).

I personally think a visual programming, as simple as possible to script, interface is a must or at least a very big eye towards an implementation of OPC scripting which allows people who have literally no background in code to jump into making scripts immediately. On the other hand I wholly think advanced scripting should be completely possible too, OPCs as a concept is just so cool it'd be a shame if we could only interact with them in simplistic ways.

5/5/2017 3:20:59 PM #15

Posted By Polite at 11:07 AM - Fri May 05 2017

Posted By Kyxsune at 07:21 AM - Fri May 05 2017

Did they confirm that visual programming is fully out? I find this debate quite interesting because you have two distinct sides of the coin,

On one hand you have people with an interest or knack for programming. To them the idea of something like Typescript being the implementation is close to a dream come true and opens the door to incredible possibilities for OPC scripts, which is great. To these people if OPC scripting was limited to something like a plug-n-play GUI it would be quite disappointing for what the game could possibly have done and how far it could have gone with OPC scripting.

On the other hand you have people who have never looked into programming, are familiar with using computer systems but know little on how they function or the underlying logic (What is a function, what do you mean it passes information, etc.). to them something like Typescript is an incredibly taxing chore to learn, especially for something which is an INTEGRAL part of the game everyone will NEED to use OPC scripts they are not optional.

I see where you say dev provided scripts will be available for these people but that's honestly a bit of a cop-out answer in my opinion. Consider any metagame where there's the base developer provided strategies/loadouts/etc. The player refined method is always superior, or if it isn't the system is boring and quite simple (which is surely not what programmer inclined players want for OPC scripting right?).

I personally think a visual programming, as simple as possible to script, interface is a must or at least a very big eye towards an implementation of OPC scripting which allows people who have literally no background in code to jump into making scripts immediately. On the other hand I wholly think advanced scripting should be completely possible too, OPCs as a concept is just so cool it'd be a shame if we could only interact with them in simplistic ways.

If we are really going to discuss this, we may have to move this topic to the Exclusive Access forum, as a lot of the information is under NDA. I do think SBS has a solution though and that they discussed it briefly before.