COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Funding Chronicles of Elyria

Greetings! I came across CoE rather recently and have been on the fence about whether to buy into it or not. The concept seems amazing, however, like all crowd funded games there is a significant uncertainty factor.

I appreciate that many people funded it because the concept sounds cool, etc. However, I am specifically interested in what convinced you to fund it. Was it the experience of the developers, for example?

Assuming I am aware and understand the normal risks of a crowd funded game and think the concept of CoE is intriguing, I am looking for a final push in the form of your examples of what convinced you to pull the trigger.

Thanks!

5/30/2017 4:33:51 AM #1

I personally funded it because the developers are very active and interacts with the community often. Over the past 1+ year they've released a some what constant flow of information on what their working on and even show pictures/ videos of their progress.

Another reason I funded was because it is a very unique concept and I would love to see it developed.

5/30/2017 4:35:13 AM #2

For me, it was the promise of certain mechanics that haven't been used in the way they are in CoE: (like no levels, no set classes, as I loved Ultima Online), OPCs, and more.

I didn't and haven't put more into it than I could afford to lose should it tank, but enough that I will be well satisfied come launch if everything works out.

The team has been pretty open to criticism, when it's in a productive manner, and has been releasing updates in a consistent manner.

We won't know until launch, of course, and I won't speak for others, but for me it's the hope of an MMO that will succeed that isn't just another clone of EQ (because it came before WoW).

5/30/2017 4:47:42 AM #3
  • Persistent world with technological development
  • A strong biology component ( Genetics Aging, and Death)
  • Low Fantasy
  • OPCs (never knew I wanted this so much)
  • Rich Storytelling for 10 years

Basically, the pitch sold me on this game. I had my doubts. I saw it when it went in Kickstarter, and thought it was definitely a hoax.

Watching the development cycle and the resolve of the team eased my doubts though. Now my wallet is empty.

5/30/2017 4:51:55 AM #4

I wanted to support their ideas as I believe they are pushing ideas that are sorely needed within this genre and market. What convinced me to invest however is their three-step economical plan which I as an economist found very impressive in a market where majority of game developers only have one half-assed plan (especially steam early access games!). In addition the team consist of market veterans that know what they are doing. Finally they show real progress on a consistent basis. All of this made me consider the game to be a low-risk investment.

5/30/2017 4:55:06 AM #5

Posted By ShadowTani at 11:51 PM - Mon May 29 2017

What convinced me to invest however is their three-step economical plan

Where might one find this plan?

5/30/2017 5:14:10 AM #6

For me it was easy. I love my RPGs. But very few does the story change depending what you do or the world itself change. For any game to even try break that mould. More so an MMO, then one that doesn't look like it be nothing more than a pvp gankfest.

SBS being very open and even just talking with us is something you don't see much. Most seem to hide from their communities.

5/30/2017 5:28:10 AM #7

It was my birthday and I couldn't think what else I wanted. Plus my wife had seen me reading the forums and watching YouTube nigh on religiously for weeks.

It was through researching games based on SpatialOS that I found CoE, I'm a huge geek and work in IT, this seemed the closest to an Oasis v0.1 (Ready Player One reference) plus the low fantasy setting. Plus the slew of ground breaking ideas the team have.

It was a no brainer for me.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

5/30/2017 5:36:56 AM #8

Posted By Bandus at 9:55 PM - Mon May 29 2017

Not really sure what they're referring to either, but SBS seems to have a very unique approach to the game development. Since they're designing Elyria as a server side simulation, they're able to give us several development levels.
The most interesting is the pregame beginning this year. MUD and KoE are going to allow us to "paint" the details of our realms before launch by giving us actual gameplay to build structures, research and identities in the game. This will never be wiped unlike the alphas and betas that let us try out the game mechanics in the Unreal Engine. The main motivations to buy now instead of later are threefold.. Actively providing feedback while playing in some form of the game... not only in forums and QnAs. Secondly, community involvement. We've never had a game that encouraged cooperation between thousands of people on a single "team". And lastly, it's on sale. DO IT!! JUST DO IT!!

5/30/2017 5:51:10 AM #9

Posted By Bandus at 06:55 AM - Tue May 30 2017

I don't remember where I read it the first time as that goes back to last years summer time, but they've mentioned it on several occasions. They also discussed it briefly in their kickstarter under the "Why kickstarter?" part (but not in entirety).

1. Personal Investments: Initial investment put down by Caspian (and co-founders?) This was half a million dollars in itself. Plus apparently another half a million from other investors (family and friends?).

2. Community Found Raising: This is the current phase and includes both the kickstarter and current package sales.

3. Investor and Publisher contracts: Caspian stated they got several offers already and repeated that statement again quite recently in the EA forum (this have been explained to the public before, so is not NDA). They are currently holding back as long as possible though to ensure the best possible deal. Best case scenario is if they won't need to "sell their soul", but remain independent. However, they are keeping the option open to give themselves a necessary life-line.

5/30/2017 5:57:30 AM #10

I funded for all the reasons previously stated in this thread, plus one more.

The Owner, Caspian has his money and families invested. He invested $500K of his own money and another $500K of friends and family money. Nothing can say more on his belief that he can deliver than investing all his savings and bringing family and friends into his dream.

I think their is a pretty damn big incentive to finish the project and release the game ;-)

They also have investors and publishers banging on their door trying to give them money so the publishers also see the potential of this game.

When we pledge we keep them independent of that control so that they can make the game we all want. However, I see the fact the publishers are interested as a fail safe that the game will get made one way or another.

5/30/2017 8:13:15 AM #11

Posted By Ortherion at 3:57 PM - Tue May 30 2017

The Owner, Caspian has his money and families invested. He invested $500K of his own money and another $500K of friends and family money. Nothing can say more on his belief that he can deliver than investing all his savings and bringing family and friends into his dream.

That was one of the big ones for me, too. It's not a guarantee of the game being made, or being to your satisfaction, or anything like that. But it IS a guarantee that the owner is pony-ing up far more than any of us, as individuals, and he won't be aiming to fail.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

5/30/2017 8:48:23 AM #12

For me it was quite easy: I want to play this game. Only way to make sure that I can play a game like this is to help fund it. No major publisher is going to take a risk like this.

Moreover, I figured I usually pay a monthly subscription for two or three consecutive years before I give up on a given game. If I would instead invest this money upfront, I don't "lose" any money I otherwise wouldn't have spend anyway.

Brash

5/30/2017 9:12:14 AM #13

For me it was 2 main reasons.

1. I like the idea that the games is based upon
  2. The regular informations that comes from owner / developer, mainly so I am able to see progress in development.

Born in sin come on in Born in lust turn to dust

5/30/2017 9:13:18 AM #14

I suppose I was ultimately pulled in by the aging and death mechanic and that we aussies will have a proper server that should be based in the country, that and the way some of my friends spoke about it.

Maybe im just being hopeful but so what, fingers crossed we get more than 50% of what they promised even if they have to delay the actual release date.

P.s. their keeping in touch with the community is also a neat thing.

5/30/2017 9:13:37 AM #15

I personally think a more accurate term is "Investing". To me, "Funding" makes it sound more charitable than it really is.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏