COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Leverage and the mass of melee weapons

All the threads dealing with the physics so far used arrows as an example, for a very simple reason: the arrow can very easily, and without neglecting any mayor details, be viewed in a vacuum, which just doesn't work as well for melee weapons.

Melee weapons give us two problems to solve before we can estimate their kinetic energy or their momentum:

• With how much mass are we effectively striking/cutting/thrusting.

For striking and cutting this is problematic, because we are obviously not using the full weight of the whole thing. Think of a sword ... the mass of the hilt will not help you with your cut as much, as if we had that mass somewhere closer to the point of impact.

• How fast does this effective mass move.

For an arrow it is pretty easy to determine how fast it is going to move, once we know how much energy the bow will exert on it, and how heavy it is. For melee weapons this is a bit more tricky ... the point of impact is not moving at the same speed as our arms, besides, how fast do our arms even move?

• How much mass does your body add to the effective mass

This last point is also the most difficult to solve. (It's pretty simple for thrusts though.) Using a melee weapon involves your whole body, it's not just your arms, so if nothing else, we add some momentum and maybe a tiny bit of mass to the whole ordeal.

(not to scale)

Here you can see a solution for our first problem ... atleast for this specific sword. Luckily it is a bit easier to get a good estimate for axes, maces and all sorts of other top heavy weapons ... you just take the weight of the head, and add between 0.1-0.25 kg, depending on how long and heavy the shaft is. As you can see we already have to start estimating stuff, so keep in mind we will only get a rough approximation in the end.

Next up we will take this guard position (I think it's a side guard, but he is holding the sword pretty far over his shoulder) as the example on how to estimate the speed of the point of impact.

We want our point of impact to be 1 m up from the hilt in this scenario (0.8 m from the center of mass), so whatever movement the swordsman makes the point of impact is on a lever of 1 m length.

We could try to estimate how fast the swordsman can move, based on how fast the muscles used for a normal strike with a two-handed weapon can contract, but I guess that is something we can do another time, in threads dealing with specific weapons. For now lets just compare his motion to something where we know the speed of the movement ... the example I'd choose is a baseball bat.

While I as a European am not overly familiar with baseball, I could find a nice chart showing (average) swing speed in relation to bat weight.

Mimicing the motion of a cut (Edit.) my hands moved 1 m, on a circle with .65 m radius (that's the length of my arm). The bat strikes about .7m from the hands. So in the time my hands moved 1 m, the point of impact, moves ~2.08 m. Since we know how fast a baseball bat of 50 oz. Weight moves, and we know the distance it would move, we can calculate the time it takes to swing it: 0.0788 seconds.

So, now to convert all this to our example. The sword in our first graphic weighs about 50 oz., so the velocity for the baseball bat should be the same for our sword - atleast 0.7 m from my hands. We want to strike with a point 1 m from the hilt though. Thus the distance the point of impact covers in .079 seconds is close to 2.55 m. From this we can calculate the velocity of the point of impact, and combined with the apparent mass from our first chart we can calculate the kinetic energy:

0.5 x 0.6 x (32.28)² = 312.6 Joule

This might seem like a lot after seeing how much energy a bow generates, but keep in mind, a sword usually has a much larger area of impact than an arrow, so even with this much energy we won't achieve the same degree of armor penetration.

We also have to keep in mind the third point mentioned above. We merely calculated what amount of kinetic energy a sword moving that way would have at a given point of impact. What we didn't include was how much our own mass helps cutting. So the actual force generated will usually be higher.

For thrusts the whole thing is a bit easier ... we don't have a lever, our bodies involvement is clear, we can easily determine the velocity, and the area of impact is a whole lot smaller, and thus more similar to an arrow.

I hope this thread helped clear some stuff up, even though it seemed a bit convoluted, even to me while writing it, which is mostly because melee combat sadly doesn't have as many ressources to draw from as archery has, which made a lot of educated guesses a necessity.

If any of my assumptions are completely wrong, I apologize, and would ofcourse like to be shown how it is supposed to work.

Edit: we can also add a step to the whole thing. This would add another ~4 m/s to the velocity of the sword, increasing the KE to 394.9 Joule, aswell as providing more momentum.

Back to the collection thread

The truth is born in argument

8/20/2017 6:10:17 PM #1

A little bit of more historical presidence, the guard the individual is using is known as the Zornhut, or the Wrathful Guard. The depiction is specifically from a woodcutout from Joachim Meyers Art of Combat, specifically longsword plate E.

The Wrathful Guard is known as such since the stance has a wrathful bearing, as will be shown. Stand with your left foot forward, hold your sword out from your right shoulder, so that the blade hangs behind you to threaten forward strikes, and mark this well, that all strikes out from the Guard of the Ox can be intercepted from the Wrathful stance, indeed leading from this stance shows unequal bearing from which One can entice onward, whereupon one can move quickly against the other as needed, as is shown by the Figure in illustration E (on the left).

It's a guard that's specifically supposed to mess with an opponents sense of measure.

Here's a video that goes over the mechanics of the strike:

Physics of the wrath - The Zornhau

Note: Zornhut is the guard. Zornhau is the strike

Another note when cutting, unlike the batter playing baseball, you don't have time to wind your hips to attack to give a powerful blow. When fighting another individual, the sword moves first before the rest of the body and when you do cut you'll always want the blade to be between you and opponent before moving.

Here's an example of a move that is meant to draw your opponent out by giving a build up known as a Schleudern or Sling. Remember, this is meant to bait the person into attacking by pretending to do something bad, that being winding up for an attack

8/20/2017 6:45:54 PM #2

Nice post. I like how you leveraged a relatable topic that has a lot of analysis (baseball) to discuss something that fewer people have experienced (swordplay)

8/20/2017 7:23:56 PM #3

Posted By Jouten at 8:10 PM - Sun Aug 20 2017

Another note when cutting, unlike the batter playing baseball, you don't have time to wind your hips to attack to give a powerful blow. When fighting another individual, the sword moves first before the rest of the body and when you do cut you'll always want the blade to be between you and opponent before moving.

The wind-up etc. is not part of the calculations. The time it took to strike is reverse engineered from the velocity a baseball bat has when batting the ball, and the distance my hands moved while mimicing a cut (messed that one up during writing the post ... I did not imitate the baseball guy).

The baseball example just serves to show how fast a humans arms can stretch in a striking motion, while wielding something of swordlike weight. The velocity is the only thing taken, not the movement, and not the time.

I am sorry for the confusion my litte writing mistake caused.

8/20/2017 9:00:22 PM #4

The research is cool but in game combat realism is second to balance. Meaning we can't really speculate what can be what because ultimately balancing will override realism mechanics because it's a video game. If the balancing needs a long sword to move as fast as a dagger irl than it is. Once we figure out what is balanced than we speculate about what level of realism we can have to maintain that balance.

I don't know anymore.

8/20/2017 9:56:10 PM #5

So which weapon would you say is so op, if we make the game realistic, that it has to be nerfed?

Besides, balance has many possible ways in CoE. Just as a Kypiq and Janoa aren't straight up balanced in combat, I don't see daggers and longswords having to be ... A dagger can be easily hidden, a quality that you can't really weigh up in attackspeed, damage or similar things. In the same way, when we compare a sword with a pollaxe - the sword can easily be carried all day, everyday, while the pollaxe is very much a battlefield weapon.

All the weapons that existed historically did so for a reason, so I wouldn't worry about realism being imbalanced.

8/20/2017 11:03:37 PM #6

I agree that physics of weapons should play some major roles in the combat system, but also agree that some things will need to be dictated by gameplay balance. As a physics based combat system has been quoted I can tell you certain weapons have major advantage in a physics based game that make them a bit more effective than they logical should be in reality.

A great example is spears. Incredibly simple to make, great range of striking, typically light and fast, and utilizes a stabbing motion that is quick and typically hard to parry compared to a swinging attacks. In addition unlike most weapons the spear's stab does not have an ineffective range, where a small weapon user can get close in on a large weapon user usually to prevent them from being hit by anything but the haft/hilt of the weapon a spear does not suffer from that disadvantage. If weight and force are derived to determine the damage of a spear thrust it will be pretty significant considering many spear tactics allow for the person to put their full weight behind a thrust, and many spear designs include a pretty hefty and weighted spear head. Ultimately the limits of a games combat system makes the spear a much better weapon than it should be, with rather little disadvantage, so for the balance of gameplay it likely would have artificial limits instilled upon it, such as having less damage or a lower attack speed.

Still, physics should play a big role in a physics based combat system. We know in the game character's will have stats, I imagine one major limiting factor on keeping tiny characters from wielding larger weapons is limits on effectiveness based on a strength to weight of the weapon. Whatmore, the damage and attack speed of many weapons will likely relate back to their weight. Sure that kypiq may only be able to utilize a 2 lb shortsword while the Brudvir can wield a 30 lb maul into battle, but chances are that Kypiq will be able to stab with that shortsword way faster than that Brudvir can swing his maul. The shortsword will deal way less damage them the maul, which it very logically should.

I also imagine we will see weapons with more ineffective area doing more damage to compensate for the disadvantage. For example, a Broad axe that weight 10 lb is likely to deal more damage than a sword that weighs 10 lb. This is both a logical and realistic factor as well as a balance feature. That broad axe has a very large ineffective area in the haft, meaning the user must very carefully aim to keep his target directly within the deadly zone his axe head is moving in rather than hitting with the haft. The sword is deadly almost no matter where it impacts the enemy, unless the target is very close and you smack them with the hilt. For physics, the axe has a heavy weighted head that channels all of the weight directly into the target when it hits. The sword has the weight balanced throughout, and when striking the entire weight of the weapon is less likely to channel into the enemy.

All of these assumptions apply to striking attacks, that's the only style of attack I've seen for melee weapons in physics based games. If a cutting style attack is added in CoE that allows blades to utilize their lengths to pull back from an effective strike and slice the opponent that will add a lot of value to full length bladed weapons, and I think it would be very cool. Still, not holding out hope for that.

Right now I think that weapons speed and damage will largely be based off of a relation to its weight with modifiers for factors such as its amount of ineffective area. I hope they add more factors like you have mentioned to take into account more damage based on the area of the weapon you make contact with, but it will be a lot of calculations to see that all happening with every swing. Avoiding lag in large PVP encounters will be a big factor, While its nice to have a rich and complex combat system its also important to be able to use it effectively.

8/20/2017 11:45:57 PM #7

Posted By Luminios at 5:56 PM - Sun Aug 20 2017

So which weapon would you say is so op, if we make the game realistic, that it has to be nerfed?

Besides, balance has many possible ways in CoE. Just as a Kypiq and Janoa aren't straight up balanced in combat, I don't see daggers and longswords having to be ... A dagger can be easily hidden, a quality that you can't really weigh up in attackspeed, damage or similar things. In the same way, when we compare a sword with a pollaxe - the sword can easily be carried all day, everyday, while the pollaxe is very much a battlefield weapon.

All the weapons that existed historically did so for a reason, so I wouldn't worry about realism being imbalanced.

Can't say what is without the game in hand. Not about the weapon, the game implementation. Saying based on irl this weapon could be OP is useless imo.

That next point you make is called pros/cons which is inherently balanced. Not sure how that is revelant. Unbalanced and different strengths are not connected. Using pro/cons and situational performance is the most common forms of balancing.

Lastly, irl has a meta game as well. A shit ton of weapons may have been developed but look at the issued weapons in the military and I think you'll find your weapon pool becomes much smaller.

I don't know anymore.

8/21/2017 8:18:05 AM #8

@Takeda Shinukage:

If it is about the implementation, and not how a realistic implementation would be, then why are you telling me that what I do is useless again?

Look, if you just wanted to say that you want a balanced game, you don't have to invent imbalances that do not even exist yet, and most likely would not exist if we were to use reality as a guide of sorts.

And last but not least, actually for a big part of the middle ages soldiers had to supply their own weapons and armor, besides you have to differentiate between battefield weapons, sidearms and civilian weapons. You wouldn't compare a rifle to a pistol and cry when the pistol is less dangerous.

We can continue to discuss this if you have any particular weapons in mind as most likely becoming imbalanced IF we were to stick relatively close to RL, but otherwise I'd ask you to stop trying to tell me off any balance issues.

@Abool:

I think the limits CoE seems to be capable of imposing on spears, through lower durability due to the wooden shaft, or even just realistic interaction with armor. IMO you'd also have to compare the spear to other battlefield weapons, like pollaxes, halberds, pikes and greatswords, which suddenly doesn't make the spear seem very powerful.

Some other small things I want to note:

• Your weapon weights are way off ... most onehanded weapons for normal sized persons weight between 2 and 3 pounds, while two-handed weapons would be between 3 and 8 pounds.

• The thing with the axe and the sword is exactly what this thread is about :) It was supposed to give you the knowledge necessary to judge how you can expect weapons to work. Though the thing with the effective and ineffective zones isn't quite correct. A sword doesn't have a lot of cutting power close to the hilt, besides the axe already has the advantage of having more apparent mass ... If it were an axe I had made this calculations with, you could have expected less leverage but substantially more apparent mass.

• Another thing you mention that this thread is about is "attack speed", though I might write something about that a bit more indepth in the future. In reality the limiting factor for attack speed is mostly how fast your arm can extend, not the weight of your weapon. As you can see in the chart above the difference is negligble, especially considering that heavier weapons will have more leverage, than lighter weapons, most of the time.

8/21/2017 10:18:27 AM #9

@Luminios

I could see the controlling factors you mentioned being a reasonable way to keep spears balanced. The difference between the spear and your other examples though (Aside from the pike, which is a very long variant of a spear) is that they rely extensively off off swinging attacks, which come with the large ineffective area of the shaft and are much easier to parry than a spear thrust. Ultimately I think it would just need to be tested IG to see whether its OP.

Its true I was off on the weights, but also consider that this is a fantasy game with fantasy races that are stronger than a basic modern person. They are likely to by default use bigger heavier weapons because they are bigger and heavier, add on top of that the fact that many players clamor for unrealistic two handed swinging weapons that would have rarely seen actual combat use in history and you're going to have some pretty heavy weapons. It will be interesting to see if and how SBS deals with things like the two handed weapons, and whether we see more cases of floating back weapons or if we will get a realistic depiction of how they are mounted to the character/drawn for combat.

While I agree physically a strike that lands closer to the hilt on a blade is less likely to carry very much chopping force, the realistic danger of a hit landing in that area is the cutting and shearing force to come with the pull back. Realistically most warriors in most battles did not have armor, and an unarmored opponent who is struck by the base of a bladed weapon is likely going to have the small wound the strike generated sheared open when the striker takes a step back and pulls the blade along his opponents body. Now currently I don't know of any good combat system that really utilizes this feature in anything but cinematic kills, so a certain amount of realism is lost there, and in effect part of the effectiveness of full bladed weapons. Whether SBS does manage to integrate that sort of attack and damage into their combat system is yet to be seen, but to a certain extent we have to accept this is a game and limited by the confines of its programming. Sure a strike closer to the hilt of a sword is going to do less damage in reality, but in the game it may be reasonable to just say the entire length is equally deadly just to account for factors the system can't handle.

On attack speed, I think this is a factor that will boil down more to a game mechanic and balance side then a realistic side. The reality of real combat is that short weapons were phased out over time in favor of larger and more importantly longer weapons that let you hit your opponent before they hit you. In real combat usually the first hit was the deciding one, an injured opponent was much less battle capable. In a game that's not the case, injury may weaken or slow a character, but more or less the opponent is still going to be battle capable. This is because a battle where you charge in as part of the front line and instantly die to a pike to the face is a pretty boring PVP. Very realistic yes, but also very boring for that player who got to be part of the first wave. Adding to this, if we go for realism and make shorter smaller weapons obsolete we're going to have pretty boring PVP, as everyone will utilize the longer reach weapons and battles will be a lot of dancing back and forth with people waiting and hoping their opponent accidentally enter their threat range. The easy way to balance that out is giving smaller weapons an improve attack rate, letting that guy with a one handed sword charge in against that broad axe user and cut him up while he's in close. Now if the guy with the one handed sword attacks just as fast as the guy with the axe but deals much less damage the guy with the axe is just going to take a step back and lop that fast bastards head off. In contrary, if the sword user was able to unload a short combo on the axe user while in close, enough to match the damage his opponents axe might do, that makes it an actual valid strategy, and worth the risk of dodging through that axe users kill zone to get in close.

At the end of the day this is a game, and while I would love as much realism in that game as possible I also want it to be a fun game. The reality of real life combat is that it really got more boring as time passed with people inventing newer better ways to kill people without getting close enough for them to risk death in the process. He who could kill from farther away then the other guy had the advantage. Fun for the commander of the war maybe, but for the soldiers who die without ever being allowed to swing their weapon, very boring. And lets face it, there will be more soldiers in a battle then commanders.

Edit: Also worth noting, a historically famous sword, the Zweihander of Pier Gerlofs Donia, weighs in at a wopping 14.5 lbs, and Pier was famous for having used it with deadly efficiency in battle. The weapon was also a staggering 7 feet long. If that was a possibility in reality for a normal human I'm sure that we will see even bigger more impressive weapons in our partial fantasy video game that literally has giant races.

8/21/2017 12:18:38 PM #10

Too much math and theory in this thread. Just stick them with the pointy end.

8/21/2017 1:14:05 PM #11

@Abool tbh. CoE doesn't strike me as a game where will run around with impossibly large weapons. Velocity is way more important for KE than mass, this is even more true for weapons, where we also want to minimize the impact area (if have to pierce armor). Even the strongest Yoru might benefit from not using such heavy weapons.

I'd also disagree on your statement about shorter weapons requiring higher attackspeed to remain competetive choices.

Using a weapon in one hand gives you the possibility to carry a shield, which if you aren't wearing a lot of armor might be a good idea. Even if your hand is free you could use it to grab your opponents weapon, or his arm, and get a slight advantage that way. Ultimately though I think equipment choices should matter. If you know you are going to fight in a staged battle you should maybe try to get some armor and either a shield or a polearm.

The thing is, making all weapons equal in all situations is also no fun, and in some cases invalidates other playstyles in the process. If you could just run around unarmored, do we need to nerf archers, so you don't have to die to random arrows? Do we have to nerf armor, to not protect against anything so archers AND unarmored persons can happily coexist? You see, there is the right equipment for each situation, and having the wrong equipment just because it is stylish/edgy isn't something I would support with mechanics.

With making every choice viable to compete at the highest level in every situation you also take importance away from even having the choice.

A last note on Pier Gerlofs Donia ... they aren't sure it is actually his sword and not just a parade sword, afaik.

8/21/2017 1:24:21 PM #12

I hope that weight plays a large roll in combat with strength and agility combined with your skill level.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

8/21/2017 2:26:04 PM #13

I don't think we will see any oversized fantasy weapons being used in game. SBS has mentioned that characters will be unable to use any items that are too large/long/heavy for them to handle. So you won't see any kypiq using a buster sword or similar fantasy weapons.

8/21/2017 2:44:12 PM #14

@Luminos, Again likely to become imbalanced is useless. It's based on something that will not be captured in a game. Realistic vs real. It's an imitation and will always be an imitation. Meaning that you can't say "boom, spear OP in real life, spear OP in CoE. That's not how that works. Especially considering the elements of this game that make it not earth like. Different races, different resources, different tech, different biology, different physics.

If the game were PURELY a human earth copy paste from the middle ages with historical accuracy than yes, it would be much more likely to follow irl weapon balances but it's not.

It's a huge leap to automatically assume a world that doesn't follow the same rules as ours will follow the same weapon patterns as ours. Combined with again, gameplay > realism. Being realistic for the sake of being realistic isn't good. Not saying it can't be improved with player feedback but instead of an essay journal explaining the science behind real life combat that this game won't be able to copy, condense it into things the studio can/will realistically do.

I don't know anymore.

8/21/2017 2:51:08 PM #15

Even though this game has fantasy elements I do not want cloud buster swords either as this game is balanced around the notion of real weapons with each of them justified by strengths and weaknesses of reach. Adding such things would destroy the balance.

But there are exceptions of anti-calvary weapons designed to take down the legs of horses that were rare, but they are the closest thing you can get to a buster sword in rl examples.

But the thing is do you want new player characters to just pick up any weapon and have mad quick skills and movements without the build up of skills and stats playing into it.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.