COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Thoughts regarding the free kingdom of elyria

The Free Kingdom of Elyria

The above link is an official SBS post regarding the giving away of a kingdom slot, some ducal, and county slots on the NA-E server. The system is through the purchase, gifting, and collection of tokens.

I Have a few immediate concerns regarding this type of implementation.

First, this announcement doesn't mention the Oceanic Server and they are supposed to have 2 Kingdom slots available. So why no event for APAC as well?

Second, this neglects players from all other servers. Sure EU, Oceanic, and NA-W can buy tokens and gift them towards people. The EP side of those tokens is fine and dandy (but not the topic of this post). Instead of allowing players from these servers to potentially win a county/duchy/kingdom it is limited to a particular server.

Third, it is another popularity contest with the added bonus of having a wallet attached to it.

I have a series of questions and they are directed towards the Oceanic server:

What are your thoughts on this announcement? Do you feel cheated? Neglected? Like this is a pattern that has gone to far?

Do you feel that this announcement will bring fun and joy to the majority of the COE community?

How about within your own Oceanic community?

10/27/2017 8:22:16 PM #1

I think the idea is good, my concern is that they may not make $10k from it, in which case they may as well have just left it as it was. Hopefully they make more, and it's a win-win.

But the idea is good, if some random person wins it then perhaps SBS could make some lore up along with the winner to write in how their house wins the throne from fallen Xeilas.

10/27/2017 8:22:47 PM #2

I see this as a cash grab and also the chance for Adam to quite literally, get a 3rd Kingdom for next to nothing.

Sad to see this, done this way.

10/27/2017 8:27:16 PM #3

Perhaps they are only trying it on the one server rn to see how it fairs? If doing it for one slot is successful then they might try it on the servers with more then one open.

Kingdom of Vornair~~~~ Count Bladehawk of the County Sildoria and the City of Rukia Friend code: 16A8A6

A Legend in its own right.

10/27/2017 8:27:38 PM #4

Posted By Aleran at 9:22 PM - Fri Oct 27 2017

I see this as a cash grab and also the chance for Adam to quite literally, get a 3rd Kingdom for next to nothing.

"Existing monarchs or dukes (on any server) are ineligible to become rulers of the Free Kingdom, and tokens they receive will not be counted"

Rule 1 of the competition.

10/27/2017 8:30:52 PM #5

I agree it's a cash grab but rule one does prevent existing monarchs and dukes from winning the kingdom. So Adam isn't getting a third one.

Also while it's a cash grab, it's a fairly interesting one and will provide some fun forum drama for the foreseeable future I hope that SbS makes a mint off of it.

Coming Soon(tm)

10/27/2017 8:35:14 PM #6

Posted By Mandos at 1:27 PM - Fri Oct 27 2017

"Existing monarchs or dukes (on any server) are ineligible to become rulers of the Free Kingdom, and tokens they receive will not be counted"

It only eliminates Adam himself (and dukes) from taking control. It does not limit a friend of his that happens to be a count from winning.

I personally do not view this part as a major issue behind the free kingdom. I view unequal treatment of other servers (particularly APAC) as the primary issue myself.

Not to mention that I find it humerus in a sad way that an event for NA-E got announced in the middle of the PAX Aus. There is no way in hell an event for the oceanic community would have been announced during a US based PAX event.

10/27/2017 8:36:39 PM #7

Posted By Mandos at 4:27 PM - Fri Oct 27 2017

Yes on his current Monarches account, what is stopping him from making a new account, getting all of Vornair to give this new account all their tokens and calling it some random name? You are allowed ults, that ult would not be a current monarch. Thus it is possible to swindle your way around rule #1.

Or having some random Count within Vornair the "collector" of these tokens to secure Vornair a 3rd Kingdom by not breaking to rules, but giving Vornair a 3rd foothold in NA-E.

I would of held this event for members of Xeilia only. Or any Duke without a current Kingdom the chance to move up.

10/27/2017 8:51:05 PM #8

Adam can't get a third kingdom Monarchs are excluded from the competition.

This gives SBS a opportunity to have a kingdom built through a single community push. I am running for example

here

10/27/2017 8:51:40 PM #9

@DevelopingStories It's unfortunate that you'd take this opportunity when we're focused on community building and - through a shared narrative and event - bringing people together, to attempt to derail the conversation and make it about neither the empty kingdom on the NA-E server, nor the people who are trying to claim that spot.

10/27/2017 8:55:32 PM #10

I merely hope for NA-E's sake, this Free Kingdom is built of non allegiance to Vornair so there is some swift competition on NA-E. It is sad to see a Kingdom fall apart, but as Caspian has said, it will build the community on NA-E.

10/27/2017 8:58:33 PM #11

Posted By Caspian at 1:51 PM - Fri Oct 27 2017

@DevelopingStories It's unfortunate that you'd take this opportunity when we're focused on community building and - through a shared narrative and event - bringing people together, to attempt to derail the conversation and make it about neither the empty kingdom on the NA-E server, nor the people who are trying to claim that spot.

You are allowed to interpret this as an opportunistic attempt to derail the conversation. However, it is not. What it really is, is an attempt to utilize the desire that yall have for the community building aspect to promote community equality (between the servers).

I am fine with giving away roles/ranks etc. What I am not fine with is doing it based on the wallet/popularity or when it does not involve all servers equally.

10/27/2017 8:59:24 PM #12

Posted By Aleran at 9:55 PM - Fri Oct 27 2017

I merely hope for NA-E's sake, this Free Kingdom is built of non allegiance to Vornair so there is some swift competition on NA-E. It is sad to see a Kingdom fall apart, but as Caspian has said, it will build the community on NA-E.

Fear not, as soon as a kingdom begins to get a hegemony over a server it'll collapse - look at games like Eve Online. As soon as an alliance gains too much territory and power the leaders split up Roman-style, as they all want more power for themselves, or feel the leadership is going in the wrong direction. :)

10/27/2017 9:03:11 PM #13

lol everyone on NA-E is in Vorniar's pocket, whether they admit it or not. Adam already asked if you can buy multiple tokens, so now this is only a bid war against someone who put in...what, 20k already? Oh yeah and his zerglings as well

10/27/2017 9:21:51 PM #14

Posted By Moltres at 10:03 PM - Fri Oct 27 2017

lol everyone on NA-E is in Vorniar's pocket, whether they admit it or not. Adam already asked if you can buy multiple tokens, so now this is only a bid war against someone who put in...what, 20k already? Oh yeah and his zerglings as well

I don't pretend to know the power dynamics inside Luna, but since this vote is open to anyone, it will probably not be so clear cut. Also the fact that the tokens come with EP will encourage people from other servers to buy. It's more than just Luna politics.

Make decisions based on what you want, not what you want to avoid.

10/27/2017 9:27:31 PM #15

Posted By HeadUpHigh at 2:21 PM - Fri Oct 27 2017

Posted By Moltres at 10:03 PM - Fri Oct 27 2017

I don't pretend to know the power dynamics inside Luna, but since this vote is open to anyone, it will probably not be so clear cut. Also the fact that the tokens come with EP will encourage people from other servers to buy. It's more than just Luna politics.

I think the EP part of the tokens is great actually. It allows people to support others while also supporting themselves. However the EP part of the tokens is unrelated to the kingdom/title giveaway itself. If it was just the EP part of the tokens I wouldn't have bothered to write this post. However since there is also another bonus that only impacts one server, the level of community equality across the servers drops. In addition, this give away is wallet/popularity driven.