COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Thoughts on the recent Conquest event

Recently I posted a thread that pointed out a few negative perceptions regarding one of the announcements by SbS. This thread is not going to do that. Instead, it’ll be focused more on pointing out a bit of everything (and how negative aspects turned into the positive).

Day 1

It seemed like everyone joined the same county/duchy and there was absolutely no competition on the map. This was obviously an exploitable system and the player-base (that’s us) found a way to provide victory to the most amount of people possible. Caspian did respond in an emotional manner initially and some fighting + some of the blame game was a result of this. However, Caspian later came on voice and addressed the situation. It did seem like he was a little disappointed in the community but that he was also proud that we came together and found a way to win. Due to all of this: the community received a discord Q/A session and all participants of the event received an award.

Although Day 1 had negatives, Caspian found a way to look at the positive side of things and rewarded the community for their teamwork.

Day 2

True to their word, SbS fixed the exploit of the prior model. The fix was to prevent players from joining the most popular county/duchy. It also promoted the growth of the smaller teams and prevented the community from simply joining one team. From my perspective, the willingness of SbS to continue the conquest event despite the Day 1 issues showed a high level of perseverance. It also showed that the Dev team, although they may get emotional, does look for the best possible solution.

Day 3

Initially everything was going well, much like day 2. However, according to Vye “Conquest has become self aware and is using manipulative and superior tactics to control its human operators”. As a result, all participants were awarded a prize.

I found this whole situation to be mildly amusing and the solution to the mistake to be a positive one. Although the error was due to SbS, giving out the prize to everyone demonstrates that the community involvement was the end goal.

What are some of your thoughts?

10/29/2017 6:14:31 PM #1

A good summary Stories. I wasn't around as much for Day 3 sadly being busy but something I would like to point out that you mention here,

From my perspective, the willingness of SbS to continue the conquest event despite the Day 1 issues showed a high level of perseverance. It also showed that the Dev team, although they may get emotional, does look for the best possible solution.

Not only were the devs willing to persevere in running Conquest, they put in multiple extra man hours the night of Day 1 (Caspian left to work on fixing Conquest, then came back and did the Q&A, then went to sleep) and on Day 2 prior to releasing Conquest when they very easily as you said could have scrapped and re-grouped for next time.

Overall I think Conquest was a good chance to see in micro both the weaknesses of Soulbound as a small studio that didn't have the resources to spare in looking at Conquest prior to launching it during PAX AUS, but also their strengths in that they saw an opportunity to promote engagement for their players and they went for it, they saw that things could be improved and they were on the ground with their CEO speaking with players directly almost immediately once problems were seen, they were willing to put in the hours on something that doesn't see them much return (the time spent on Conquest isn't time they can translate into Elyria) because it was causing consternation for the community and they wanted to alleviate that.

When it comes to would I rather a studio rich in resources and poor in passion work on something like Chronicles of Elyria or vice versa, I know which I would pick and which I'm glad that we have.

10/29/2017 6:15:24 PM #2

My main issue with the Conquest thing is that it's fairly uninteresting with no great meta aside from input codes and click attack. The weapons are all worth the same and there's no real strategic element to combat though this is really a result of this being a quick little thing for events rather than an actual game. I don't really have any quick easy ideas to change this (aside from maybe doing a rock paper scissors mechanic with the weapons meaning weapon choice becomes a meta) which wouldn't take up time better devoted to actual CoE development.

Aside from that the event seemed to go pretty well until the last day IMO

Coming Soon(tm)

10/29/2017 6:20:27 PM #3

Posted By chipla at 11:15 AM - Sun Oct 29 2017

My main issue with the Conquest thing is that it's fairly uninteresting with no great meta aside from input codes and click attack. The weapons are all worth the same and there's no real strategic element to combat though this is really a result of this being a quick little thing for events rather than an actual game. I don't really have any quick easy ideas to change this (aside from maybe doing a rock paper scissors mechanic with the weapons meaning weapon choice becomes a meta) which wouldn't take up time better devoted to actual CoE development.

What do you think of SbS deciding to provide the necklace to all participants of the last day?

10/29/2017 6:58:09 PM #4

I'm generally happy with the response of the devs, they were quick and decisive.

10/29/2017 6:58:23 PM #5

Posted By DevelopingStories at 6:20 PM - Sun Oct 29 2017

What do you think of SbS deciding to provide the necklace to all participants of the last day?

When everyone owns something it becomes worthless, so it doesn't bother me. Better than giving out nothing I suppose.

10/29/2017 7:20:47 PM #6

It should be kept in mind that those who didn't participate and those who will join later will not have the necklace still. Only participants received it. I purrsonally think it creates an interesting asymmetry in the amount of each of the items that were given overall. There are less full sets in existence than there are necklaces. It might actually drive up the value of the bracelet once we get into game, for example, or maybe the extras will just be pretty jewelry. We shall see.

Also known as AvA in Discord.

10/29/2017 7:22:44 PM #7

Posted By Mandos at 11:58 AM - Sun Oct 29 2017

When everyone owns something it becomes worthless, so it doesn't bother me. Better than giving out nothing I suppose.

I originally viewed the decision from a similar perspective. However, not everyone within the current COE community participated in the event and we have not reached the full population of the game yet (we are still in pre alpha stages afterall). This has allowed me to alter my perspective and really view the participants of the event as a more exclusive group that will receive this reward for being active in these early stages.

AvA types faster than me apparently =]

10/29/2017 8:09:49 PM #8

Good post. I am happy with the devs response to this whole situation.

Xuerou Wyvernwood Mayoress of Imbrium Ridge Kingdom of Ashland Duchy of Fioralba

10/29/2017 8:25:26 PM #9

Considering I get a free necklace I'm not opposed to it and it's a fairly good way of saying sorry. Still a pretty boring game though.

Coming Soon(tm)

10/29/2017 8:37:25 PM #10

Posted By Mandos at 2:58 PM - Sun Oct 29 2017

I don't see it as being worthless. Not everyone got the necklace, only the people that participated. I'd say less than half of the active community participated. It was a very narrow window after all. And time will make it more valuable. I know they're going to open Conquest again for the future PAX events, but I doubt they'll continue it after launch. True, it doesn't quite have the same satisfaction it would give if it had been exclusive to the winning team, but it's still a mark that you're an OG supporter of the game, and there will be a lot of people at launch that don't have that mark.

10/29/2017 11:31:35 PM #11

I just wanted to let everyone know that I appreciate their replies and thoughts.

Scuttle - I like the way your phrased that comment of yours =]

10/30/2017 12:20:58 AM #12

i actually agree with you. SBS could be using their time to further develop COE than this using their time and energy on this conquest. 😕

Yours Sincerely, Verde the Zealous Kypiq

10/30/2017 12:41:54 AM #13

Posted By Verdecus at 5:20 PM - Sun Oct 29 2017

i actually agree with you. SBS could be using their time to further develop COE than this using their time and energy on this conquest. 😕

I have an alternative perspective for you:

An event like conquest kind of stirs the pot allowing those little particles that built up at the bottom to disperse throughout the entire pot bringing some excitement and community activity back into play. This small amount of excitement may push veteran members to bring in their friends and help promote the growth of the game.

What do you think about this perspective?

10/30/2017 1:58:27 AM #14

I liked conquest and will play it again. It was a good reason to interact with others in the community. All positives straight across the board especially for how much I paid for it, Free! At the end of the day I got something for it and I'm grateful. If the items have any ingame price tag or not does not matter. It holds value to me showing that I participated in this event long before the launch of CoE. I believe SBS is on the right track and I have full confidence that they know best on how to promote and develop CoE. Just keep doing what your doing SBS and thank you.