COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
PC Generated Religions

I know from past conversations, that PC Generated Religions will exist in Elyria. But how would one go about creating one? And can NPCs become followers?

11/30/2017 7:51:04 AM #1

Posted By DanielBlack at

I know from past conversations, that PC Generated Religions will exist in Elyria. But how would one go about creating one? And can NPCs become followers?

You can't create a new religion as far as we know, you can however create a cult and only slightly doctrines the religion.

11/30/2017 10:15:40 AM #2

From what they videos say, I thought you could make a new religion but the only problem was that you had to convince other people of why they should follow that religion. Also whether they even like you talking about converting to a new religion, they might just kill you for even saying such heresy.

11/30/2017 10:42:53 AM #3

Converting people to a religion is certainly part of the game. However, you are converting people to one of the existing religions. There are five main religions in game and while players might make cults that have slightly different approaches to those five, as Violet said, you will not be able to create any new religions.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

11/30/2017 6:11:23 PM #4

That's correct. The closest you can get to forming an entirely new religion is to form a cult that imposes particular practices (e.g. through a contract) on top of existing beliefs. Depending on how things play out, I suppose it's possible that your cult could become dominant in a region and become something more like the legitimate form of the religion there, but that's still not the same thing as forming an entirely unique religion, I'm afraid.

It's just an aspect of the way the engine handles character knowledge: there's a limit to how much you can make an NPC synthesize new beliefs based on discrete, newly created, information. Modifying existing information (e.g. "religion x now includes practice y") is way easier to make the NPC AI act on than entirely new concepts (e.g. "Formulate a new set of beliefs based on the idea that the sun is now the bull of the sky").

That could change, of course, we're not done working on this stuff, but I wouldn't expect it.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
11/30/2017 6:39:08 PM #5

SPOILER: Constantine I did it in the Council of Nicea in 325 AD :)

Condado de Tarsis Solicia Gran Logia de Oliva

11/30/2017 7:50:33 PM #6

Posted By Snipehunter at 1:11 PM - Thu Nov 30 2017

That's correct. The closest you can get to forming an entirely new religion is to form a cult that imposes particular practices (e.g. through a contract) on top of existing beliefs. Depending on how things play out, I suppose it's possible that your cult could become dominant in a region and become something more like the legitimate form of the religion there, but that's still not the same thing as forming an entirely unique religion, I'm afraid.

It's just an aspect of the way the engine handles character knowledge: there's a limit to how much you can make an NPC synthesize new beliefs based on discrete, newly created, information. Modifying existing information (e.g. "religion x now includes practice y") is way easier to make the NPC AI act on than entirely new concepts (e.g. "Formulate a new set of beliefs based on the idea that the sun is now the bull of the sky").

That could change, of course, we're not done working on this stuff, but I wouldn't expect it.

This is about how i hoped it would work.

I see our splinter or cult in the Church of Virtori as a portion of believers who have seen all the vice of the past Mad King.

This has made certain things change within Virtori for that area or group and sparked the new branch.

I want to be able to include all the lore that the Devs make and the game knows. and use that to construct something that involves the poeple being a part of that.

So i'm glad to hear more info on these things. Keep the Religion info coming Snipehunter!

For those that haven't read the Presentation: Church of Virtori. As to how i hope to manufacture just such a group.

11/30/2017 10:34:37 PM #7

Posted By Snipehunter at 10:11 AM - Thu Nov 30 2017

So could a cult recognize the Two Fold Queen as the one true god [possibly being the fused form of Angelica and Luna], the Qin as archangels, the virtues and vices as archangel factions in a civil war, and spirits as either lesser angels or souls?

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

12/1/2017 12:26:01 AM #8

Posted By FenixFireSage at 2:34 PM - Thu Nov 30 2017

So could a cult recognize the Two Fold Queen as the one true god [possibly being the fused form of Angelica and Luna], the Qin as archangels, the virtues and vices as archangel factions in a civil war, and spirits as either lesser angels or souls?

I think that would constitute a new religion. It's about beliefs, basically: You'd be fundamentally altering core beliefs that are, for lack of a better term "hard coded." But, to be fair, we're not done tackling this problem, so that could change.

Overall though, it's generally easier to "bolt on" a new behavior than it is to alter an existing core belief, or formulate an entirely new one, with things like religion in our current approach.

• Snipehunter
12/1/2017 5:11:45 AM #9

can you evolve and reform a religion? like christan protestants did? pretty much every religion there is evolved from some other religion. can you create a cult of a cult? say a religion has 100 tenets. and I create a cult, changing 1. and then the cult becomes popular and some member changes another of the 100 tenets. then slowly but surly a new religion would form.

please, Snipehunter, tell me that will be possible. :'(

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

12/1/2017 10:50:31 AM #10

In the beginning, all that was, was a raging fire. This we call the Eternal Blaze, wherefrom all things come and into which all things will return. From this Fire was formed a divine being, His essence being that of the Fire. It is Him we call Daemon,

~ From "Creation of the world according to the Daemonites"

Count Lofi of Skaaney, friend code 8766AA

12/3/2017 1:32:40 AM #11

How much can we change a religion? I’d think we’d be able to change traditions, but what about making a major change? Ie adding Talos to the eight in the Elder Scrolls?

Baron Zachariah Evrouin

The Barony of Septenstatio

Town Discord - discord.gg/e2kMTuZ

12/3/2017 6:41:13 AM #12

The fae-melonists will rise!!! We hold that all life is equally sacred- animal, plant, Mann, but the melon is the most equally sacred of all lives!

kypiq