COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Promotion Items

From seeing Snipehunter type this in the "It's Sedecim Time" thread:

Posted By Snipehunter at 03:22 AM - Sat Jun 16 2018

On the other hand, items you buy in a promotion can be redeemed after the game launches.

While I understand the reason for it, since people that may not have bloodline+ can buy these items and need time to plant them down so to speak, since they won't be in expo.

Just how long will people be able to hold onto them? Also while you can't stockpile on any EP items. Does that mean, this promotion for example, I could stockpile the seeds? Or do they just need to be used within a time frame after launch?

If people like myself that are in expo, will I be able to tell what I have brought in an promotion and be able to hold onto them till after launch as well?

Can either Snipehunter himself or someone from SBS give a clear clarification of what that means, that would be most helpful.

6/20/2018 6:58:11 AM #1

I doubt you'll get a definitive answer, at least at this time, because they probably haven't decided themselves yet.

From what we know, for at least a time, a vendor will exist where you can take these "tokens" that you have from items you bought in the store and trade them in. so you take an otterbear pup "token" to a pet vendor and trade it for the ingame otterbear pup

I believe it was said that they can run out of stock for a time. and it may even be possible to kill them.

MY guess is that items from the store will be available in expo and then at launch for one life-cycle (52 weeks) and then anything not redeemed will be turned into Story Points

6/20/2018 12:01:14 PM #2

Tokens don't magically create the item for you it just means you're entitled to the item in question from a vendor. I should hope you can hold them indefinitely since the tokens are really no different than if you simply used in-game gold coins to buy the item. I guess they act like gift cards where you hand over money, you get the gift card for something like music then you can redeem it later on for a song. If you have a token for an animal and the shop doesn't have it you'll have to go find a shop that does have it or wait for them to get it into stock, same answer goes for seeds.

EP on the other hand magically creates the item into the world immediately, a stack of wood would spawn there and then which is why it makes sense that unused EP items like a stack of wood would dissapear once exposition is finished.

6/20/2018 12:09:47 PM #3

Posted By SoulSpark at 1:01 PM - Wed Jun 20 2018

a stack of wood would spawn there

The wood would, would the wood?

6/20/2018 3:42:12 PM #4

Posted By SoulSpark at 10:01 PM - Wed Jun 20 2018

Tokens don't magically create the item for you it just means you're entitled to the item in question from a vendor. I should hope you can hold them indefinitely

Hmm that must have been me having wrong info, got a link/quote where this was said? While holding onto any tokens longer than a week seems weird as well. Or someone could very much just stockpile these tokens like crazy, even if they can only be claimed in limited supply.

Also leaves open the door of the thought that there will be some cash shop as well. Maybe that's why I thought, you could just claim them straight away without any problems. I can also see how fun this is going to be for any big groups entering in the same area.

6/20/2018 3:49:06 PM #5

Posted By SoulSpark at 04:01 AM - Wed Jun 20 2018

EP on the other hand magically creates the item into the world immediately, a stack of wood would spawn there and then which is why it makes sense that unused EP items like a stack of wood would dissapear once exposition is finished.

Do you have the source for this?

6/20/2018 3:52:00 PM #6

Posted By Gunnlang at 4:42 PM - Wed Jun 20 2018

Hmm that must have been me having wrong info, got a link/quote where this was said? While holding onto any tokens longer than a week seems weird as well.

ok lets says you have 10 token for a pet like the foxcelot, you go to the animal place to get them, the shopkeep only has 3, you gotta wait till more get brought in or the shopkeep breeds some more, that might take any unknown amount of time, would it then be fair for the player to lose the other 7 tokens because there's no foxcelots around within that week?

What if 5 players in a settlement all have foxcelot tokens and the first guy takes them all, should the other 4 players lose all their tokens cos the shopkeep can't get enough in on time for everyone else?

6/20/2018 3:56:31 PM #7

Posted By Rex_SteelFist at 4:49 PM - Wed Jun 20 2018

Posted By SoulSpark at 04:01 AM - Wed Jun 20 2018

Do you have the source for this?

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/26455/its-sedecim-time?page=3#post291192

6/20/2018 4:04:16 PM #8

Posted By SoulSpark at 01:52 AM - Thu Jun 21 2018

ok lets says you have 10 token for a pet like the foxcelot, you go to the animal place to get them, the shopkeep only has 3, you gotta wait till more get brought in or the shopkeep breeds some more, that might take any unknown amount of time, would it then be fair for the player to lose the other 7 tokens because there's no foxcelots around within that week?

Of course it wouldn't be fair, but really nothing is this game is meant to be fair. Which if that's the case, people can very much stockpile items, promotion items at least.

Yet on the same hold, if someone could hold onto tokens for months, would that really be fair for anyone else? I could already see the forums being spammed by people saying the game is pay for win. While explaining to them, it was from some store event, possibly years before the game even launched. That wouldn't be any better really.

While it also gives rich people more edge, "oh no you killed my pigs". Lucky I have another 10 tokens and can just spawn in more. Nothing like removing some of the risk. Which of course makes promotion items way more valuable than anything brought with EP.

6/20/2018 4:08:42 PM #9

Posted By Gunnlang at 5:04 PM - Wed Jun 20 2018

Of course it wouldn't be fair, but really nothing is this game is meant to be fair.

There is a big difference between purchasing something, redeeming it and then losing it fair and square and not getting the thing at all in the first place.

If someone spends $20 on an item I expect them to receive what they paid for otherwise it's theft of money. Taking money for something then saying "oh sorry there's none left, we'll keep your money but you don't get anything" is unacceptable.

If you pay for it you must get it, if you lose it then thats the persons fault, but they need to get what they paid for simple as that.

6/20/2018 5:47:10 PM #10

Just for clarity, let me reiterate that redeeming these tokens won't just spawn in the things you redeem. You'll need to go somewhere and redeem that token, then transport whatever it is you claimed back to where you want to use it. Boats will need to be redeemed at a shipwright, pets and livestock at a breeder, etc.

This means that if the vendor in question is "out" of the thing you want you will need to go elsewhere or wait for them to restock, as was mentioned previously, to redeem your tokens.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
6/20/2018 7:10:31 PM #11

@Snipehunter Questions, sir. Say I am a vendor and someone redeems a token for items in my shop. What use is a token to me as a vendor? I don't think anyone else would want to buy a token from me. What is your plan for vendors to do with the tokens? Why would a vendor want to trade their items for a token?

6/20/2018 7:54:49 PM #12

Are these vendors 100% npcs or will they PCs?

6/20/2018 9:38:19 PM #13

I would presume they are purely NPC.

A Player has a choice whether to sell something or not and even if you set up an NPC vendor in your store I presume you set the prices and what is accepted as currency.

6/20/2018 11:36:07 PM #14

Thank you Snipehunter. Do we know if you can steal them? As well as to value of the tokens themselves within the game? The tokens directly pull from inventory, this can account or diminish the economy to that point. That NPC can't spend that token to buy food for the NPC's family. Can't buy goods from others with it. In essence it makes a null income scenario. Are you afraid that with enough tokens that this might cause a micro economy to falter?

6/21/2018 2:32:30 AM #15

Posted By Snipehunter at 03:47 AM - Thu Jun 21 2018

This means that if the vendor in question is "out" of the thing you want you will need to go elsewhere or wait for them to restock, as was mentioned previously, to redeem your tokens.

While I appreciate your comment Snipehunter. I was more curious to how long the tokens would last for. So while Soulspark is indeed correct that each NPC vendor has only so many in stock.

My main question was, how long can people hang onto the tokens? Or is it simply the case that you guys at SBS have not made up your mind, on that point?