COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What's your sign? Elyria Edition!

Houses of the Zodiac

It was an awesome reveal to finally get our hands on the Zodiac Houses that will govern the lives of Elyrians everywhere. What House you are born in will impact your destiny, but as a player you will get to chose your own time of birth meaning you can plan out some aspects of your own future. You may not know what events the Soulborn Engine will spin for you, but you can walk in aware of possible themes.

1. Otterbear - House of Domain

Personal possessions - Wealth - Fame - Renown - Character

2. Dryas Elk - House of Knowledge

Development of Knowledge - Intelligence - Information about World - Learning in General

3. Flowercup Porcupine - House of Consciousness

Home - Self - Lands - Origin - Self-Awareness

4. Canis Rabbit - House of Pursuit

Creativity - Romance - Children - Accomplishing Things

5. Ursaphant - House of Toil,

Career - Endeavor - Pursuit - Labor

6. Leffit - House of Connections

Land - Romance - Family - Obligations and Duties to Lords - Personal Connections

7. Conifer Rat - House of Family

Family - Resources - Obligation - Wealth

8. Domino Fox - House of Wisdom

Religion - Scholastic Pursuit - Personal Development

9. Pteroguin - House of Status

Financial Success - Reputation - Community - Politics - Prestige

10. Trison - House of Community

Community - Organizational Success - Belonging - Legislation - Regulation - Politics

11. Wildcat - House of Self

Personality - Identity - Image - Beginnings

12. Phoenix - House of the Arcane

Secrets - The Unknown - Self-sacrifice - Loss - Deception

Now, let's discuss!

• As my video above discusses, there are many reasons why the Houses are symbolic. What other theories do you have?

• What House do you want to be born in and how will it fit or support your character concept?

• Are you surprised by anything that overlaps or anything a house doesn't cover?

• What relationships have you noticed between the Zodiac and the celestial bodies?

Please feel free to chime in on one or all of these questions!

Sha'harizi County - Capital City of Ah'wena - Countess Aria - Kitlandria!

6/22/2018 2:56:29 PM #1

Nicely done Kit, bravo!

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

6/22/2018 3:23:20 PM #2

Currently, my plans are being a scribe/scholar, trying to become some kind of "keeper of knowledge" that runs a library with as much gathered knowledge as possible and as such, obviously, Dryas Elk - House of Knowledge would be my choice.

Friend Code: 30EF47

6/22/2018 3:26:18 PM #3
  1. Perhaps the houses are named so, due to the quadrants they make up in the night sky, perhaps some are only visible during the correct season or year as we move around the two stars? also possible that zodiacs are more or less prevalent with its counterpart or positioning...not sure if the Devs are thinking in terms of horoscopes.

2. I'm having a bit of difficulty identifying which body to zodiac I'd want... so far between [ Luna, Ao, Aiden , Selene, Pacyen, Gulain ] and { Drya Elk, Ursaphant, Domino Fox, Pterogin and Phoenix }

3. I'm not surprised by any overlapping, as similarity's are shared between body and sign...but not celestial body to body. So there are no possibilities to have 1/6th a year of positive/negative affects every year. however just looking at the Zodiac, it might be wise to figure out the seasons and house placement to identify similar destiny's to work together for a common purpose. Ie. soul bound engine generates content for otterbear, elk/domino fox then ursaphant to for a nice economy burst for researching then building something...

4. Unsure as I don't have much to go in regards to the celestial bodies.. the zoology of the animal houses as well. Maybe they are going for a sun and moon sign like we have here ?

6/22/2018 3:34:08 PM #4

I Plan on doing the house of Phoenix. It would support my character because I plan to be a guard that would learn different secrets within the city. Every so often I would like to venture into unknown places. I would also not be opposed to encountering something bazar like a mage and it turn into a quest to protect them. So being exposed to deception could prove beneficial in keeping secrets and considering I prefer a charge strait in approach self-sacrifice may be an appropriate trait.

6/22/2018 3:59:29 PM #5

Wildcat sounds like a lot of fun. Your story arcs will likely involve making a lasting impression on other players, becoming a character that they will remember forever. Leeroy Jenkins would absolutely be a Wildcat 😜

I'll be your healer. || Bordweall (NA-E)

6/22/2018 4:21:47 PM #6

Probably Ursaphant, Domino Fox or Wildcat. My first character will be a ward, so any zodiac sign relating to family, wealth or connections would be mostly wasted in the beginning. I like the idea of a commitment to hard work (and Endeavor :D), as well as personal growth. All would work under the philosophy of an orphan that aspires to greatness within his means.

Check out the Village of Astyria! We are recruiting!

NA - East : Bordweall : Bloodoak : Novigrad - Shield Wall Strong! Friend Code: 3D90E8

6/22/2018 4:30:30 PM #7

Excellent video!

I may have missed some nuances of the system, so forgive my if I'm being a dunce... but this feels like it can be sort of min/maxed, as in "if you want to be an assassin type of character, you should always pic X house" and so forth. Which seems a little counter-intuitive to the mission of CoE.

In my mind, I thought there would be more mystery to it, and we would figure things out as we go. Especially given we'll have multiple character lifetimes to do so!

But again there's probably something I'm missing :)

World Class Indoorsman

6/22/2018 4:37:43 PM #8

Posted By Lethality at 09:30 AM - Fri Jun 22 2018

Excellent video!

I may have missed some nuances of the system, so forgive my if I'm being a dunce... but this feels like it can be sort of min/maxed, as in "if you want to be an assassin type of character, you should always pic X house" and so forth. Which seems a little counter-intuitive to the mission of CoE.

In my mind, I thought there would be more mystery to it, and we would figure things out as we go. Especially given we'll have multiple character lifetimes to do so!

But again there's probably something I'm missing :)

a good point - the video was part of our BBC livestream last night

after the video aired we discussed it in the twitch stream channel and Caspian confirmed that was intended so that a player could choose a theme for their destiny ie. if somebody wants to be a merchant, there is little enjoyment in that player being saddled with the destiny that is focused on the military

for those interested in seeing the BBC livestream, we have it archived on YouTube HERE

6/22/2018 6:21:23 PM #9

We often talk about producing a product for our CoE community and you are THE example of that time and time again. Thank you for putting this together on such short notice!

6/22/2018 6:30:10 PM #10

Posted By Noslim at 2:21 PM - Fri Jun 22 2018

We often talk about producing a product for our CoE community and you are THE example of that time and time again. Thank you for putting this together on such short notice!

Thanks so much, Noslim! Blush!!! I am so sorry I got sick and had to bail out on being live, but thankfully I had my thoughts all written out so this was a quick fix! I do rather enjoy making videos like this though! <3

Sha'harizi County - Capital City of Ah'wena - Countess Aria - Kitlandria!

6/22/2018 6:38:08 PM #11

For me is Pteroguin e Aiden/Trison

6/23/2018 6:36:38 AM #12

One thing I noticed is that there are no signs, but there are houses. The houses seem to take the place of the zodiacal signs in real-life western astrology, but also function as houses being associated with specific topics of life. In RL astrology, houses transition quite rapidly, because they are associated with the diurnal cycle and are framed relative to fixed earth-centric events: ascendant, descendant, medium coeli (AKA midheaven), and imum coeli (opposite the midheaven).

One thing that is seems to be lacking in Elyrian astrology is any way to fix the boundaries of the houses. In RL astrology the signs are nominally fixed by their corresponding constellations (although in practice by earth's solar-determined seasons), while the houses are fixed by the time of day relative to sunrise (or sunset, etc.). So far as I can tell, there is no such empirical astronomical object or event to ground the Elyrian scheme. There has to be something, and it has to be something other than the astronomical objects so far identified, that is fixed relative to the boundaries of the houses. (We know that all the planets transition through the houses.) It might be the astronomical event that marks an Elyrian year, but so far we don't know exactly what that is. If Elyria has a noticeable axial tilt, it might be astronomical seasons; if so, it should be noted that those do not correspond to climatic seasons, which seem to be irregular in their timing and occurrence.

6/23/2018 12:45:54 PM #13

Trison/Pteroguin and Aiden/Pacyen for me.

It looks to me like a mix of Chinese and Western cosmology - the twelve houses match with the twelve earthly branches of the Chinese zodiac (which incidentally match with the 12 double hours of the Chinese day) and with the 12 lunar months of Chinese year which are based on degrees of solar longitude while the fourteen celestial bodies match the Western concept of matching the movement of the heavens with destiny, for instance, googling my horoscope for this week gives:

You start the week with a lighthearted and playful spirit as upbeat Mercury angles toward jovial Jupiter. And with lovely Venus opposing Mars and chatty Mercury linking to fervent Pluto, there should be plenty of options for discussing, conducting business, and making new and lucrative connections. Mars in your social sector could encourage you out and about, which will lift your spirits.

Whatever that means.

I think the combination of the two different cosmologies will be an interesting and unique way of determining fates and can play into all sorts of other concepts within the world's mythology (which I have an idea for that I might post later on)

Coming Soon(tm)

6/23/2018 1:49:45 PM #14

Great work. I have studied Astrology long time ago, and this post brings back memories, and the birth-sign will surely make me feel more attached to my character.

6/24/2018 6:02:22 AM #15

I have one character idea, Alastrina, whose a fiery explorer who wants to be a hero, so I'd probably place her under Canis Rabbit. Pursuit and accomplishing things seems the closest thing to an adventurers house on the list and I would like her to also have a chance at romance.

Then I have another, Martin, whose curious and scholarly who I'd probably make either a dyras elk or a domino fox. Though I also imagine him as suffering from loss and would like to be magical, so he might also be a phoenix to increase the chances of him having a talent.

I am most surprised that there isn't an all out house of adventure or even a house that has adventure, inventing, or exploration as an aspect. There is definitely a group in the community who plan on adventuring around Elyria and would love to stumble upon an epic quest and become heroes or simply discover something no one else has discovered before. Canis Rabbit does seem the closest since one could be in pursuit of adventure or discovery, yet the aspect of accomplishing things could apply to practically anything from fighting bandits to getting a paper signed to finishing polishing silver. Phoenix would technically also work, but it definitely is more tailored made for tragic tales with shadowy figures and magic, which can be good elements of an adventure but are not necessary for adventures. Why was adventuring kept out?