COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Court of Appeals

I don’t suppose we’ll offer a way to appeal a decision made by a governing body concerning punishment? Or perhaps legal courses of action for ambiguous contracts?

Since contracts will be important to the game, I feel like we should have something to prevent abuse.

Contract Law of Elyria?

7/31/2018 11:29:56 AM #1

It'll depend on the Kingdom in question and the laws they've set out but I imagine it'll be like any Feudal Kingdom throughout history, the Lord's word is law.

7/31/2018 12:45:29 PM #2

You can always try. If you have an issue with your mayor/baron, go to your count. An issue with your count, go to your duke.

7/31/2018 1:26:00 PM #3

You gather an army and wage war.

That's how you appeal.

Burn it all down.

7/31/2018 1:50:30 PM #4

I have no problem with an appeal. If an other noble/lawyer wants to represent a perpetrator , that okay by me. But there will be no stalling. There is no point in dragging it out with a big chance on escape.

I assume sentenced criminals would want an appeal to a death penalty, but that might be a problem. There are no means to hold you very long. An appeal in that direction has little chance that the perpetrator will actually uphold a gentleman's agreement to patiently wait for it.

7/31/2018 3:40:51 PM #5

Posted By Marshal at 06:29 AM - Tue Jul 31 2018

It'll depend on the Kingdom in question and the laws they've set out but I imagine it'll be like any Feudal Kingdom throughout history, the Lord's word is law.

I agree with this, plus it depends on the terms of the contract. Depending on how the contract is written there may not be room for an appeal. Though again depends on the local laws and how the contract is framed.

7/31/2018 4:25:08 PM #6

I see, so the local authority would interpret an ambiguous contract and if someone doesn’t like the decision they could go 1 step higher?

I’m currently cramming Business Law over the summer. Only reason I’m curious lol.

Since I mentioned it, how far are you government officials willing to go? For example, let’s say there’s allegedly a contract formed under duress. A griefer cornered someone and threatened to kill unless they signed.

Will it be a “tough luck” response from those in power?

7/31/2018 5:03:14 PM #7

Me personally it would depend on if they could prove they had been coerced. If they couldn't it would come down to who I believed more.

If I believed they had been coerced thru threat of violence in to the contract I would probably call it void.

but it would depend on the circumstances.

If for instance they caught a known thief stealing from them (and weren't able to get the goods back). and they said sign this contract to work off your debt to us or pay that debt with your life.

i'd probably side with the store owner and make the thief work off their debt.

however if some known road side bandits that said sign this contract to be our slave or we kill you. I'd call that null and void personally.

and they can always take it up the chain to the count if they disagree with my ruling.

7/31/2018 5:11:19 PM #8

Posted By Hieronymus at 08:26 AM - Tue Jul 31 2018

You gather an army and wage war.

That's how you appeal.

Burn it all down.

Lol. This approach. :)

7/31/2018 6:00:57 PM #9

Makes sense.

My concern is that there’ll be cases that aren’t so black and white. Where neither party is entirely innocent or guilty. But I suppose we’ll be at the mercy of a local authority either way. I’m just predicting an abundant conflict of interest and nepotism.

Granted, there will always be that “in or out” group mentality, but I don’t know how confident people will be about conducting business that relies on contracts. Especially if said contracts can be discarded on a whim by the local authorities.

8/2/2018 7:16:18 AM #10

Take a look at this first.

As someone with potential player knowledge of business law, you may wish to have a character skilled in contract writing, negotiation, mediation, arbitration, or adjudication. Chances are, honest player authorities won't want to be bothered with such things if it does not interest them personally, and will want to delegate as much as possible. Corrupt governments will no doubt exist, but will probably not be attractive to any but deviant players. Such domains will probably not prosper as much as those with honest governments.

There will be different levels of courts to decide different kinds of contract disagreements and violations, corresponding at least roughly to civil and criminal courts in the RL USA.

8/2/2018 8:26:33 AM #11

I wonder if it's possible for a noble to nullify a contract signed by an other noble. I see nothing that gives someone that power. Normally contracts can be nullified by law:

The term conditions are illegal.
The terms violate public policy.
The contract includes parties that are not of legal capacity.
The actions in the contract are not possible to complete.

Let's say the contract asks you to mine gold in a certain area, but when you get there there is no gold source even close by. That doesn't make a contract voidable yet. There should me more in stake:

The contract involved coercion or threatening actions.
One party was influenced into signing the contract.
One party is not of a sound mind.
The specific terms of the contract were not fulfilled.
Both parties made mistakes when creating the contract.
The contract contains fraudulent information or intentions.
The contract includes misrepresentation.

If one of these arguments is true, the contract will be voidable, but who enforces it? All the nobles are friends of each other and the judge is always on the payroll of one of them.

What if the contract is stolen, will it be voidable or can it still be completed by the original signer? It's complicated.

8/2/2018 12:44:45 PM #12

Whether a contract is fulfilled or not isn't really up for debate as I understand it. You set specific terms, the system knows when those terms were met and when they were broken and grants tokens automatically so there's no room for appeal. Those terms are not open ended either. It's more of a pick your language blocks from this pre set group kind of a deal not a freeform text document you type into and sign. If it were freeform the system would have no way to enforce contracts or interpret what they said unless they trained some kind of natural language contract AI.

8/3/2018 3:13:38 AM #13

Aranor will have lower courts with the ability to appeal to higher courts. Most likely cases would be taken if there was an issue with a violation of rights or accusation of a miscarriage of justice. These things get messy when people try to pull politics into it.

8/3/2018 3:20:01 AM #14

They do get messy, but that is a reality this game will employ heavily yeah? I know im going to have to consult with someone with much better legal finesse than I can muster or the contracts will have to be simple lol. Otherwise, i'm afraid ill be duped easily,

8/25/2018 2:47:52 PM #15

The thought of having to sit and listen to players describe their version of events in game is nauseating. The game will know if a criminal action has occurred.

Bottom line: Life isn't fair, and neither are games.