COMMUNITY - FORUMS - ANGELICA GENERAL
Lurker Interested in Exploration

Hi All,

After following the game for some time, I finally pledged (bloodline package) and decided to get more involved in this awesome community. I'll be playing on the Angelica server and I'm most interested in trying my hand as an explorer/cartographer. I think there will be demand from several sources like governments and trade groups looking for roads and trade routes, producers looking for resources, etc. Infrastructure planning really appeals to me. I may also think about a side business of capturing/taming animals for sale and preservation as I go about my travels.

I'm curious what you all think the market for maps and geographic information will be like. Who would employ a scout/explorer and for what kinds of contracts?

Thanks!

8/1/2018 1:59:21 AM #1

Hey Randulf22!!

Well first, congrats on stepping out of the shadows to join us in open excitement for CoE!

Second, to answer your question, I think explorations and cartography early on will be a golden trade because traders will not know routes until you route them, adventurers will not know dungeons or POIs until you discover and map them, and all of the world outside the domains will be undiscovered and uncharted as well. Also, if you discover POI that seem super interesting or promising, you could probably draft a map and sell that to a high bidder. It sounds all fun and exciting.

POI = Point of interest.(just in case)

8/1/2018 2:17:52 AM #2

Heya, randulf22

Cartography is a thing, maps cannot be created without it, and they're all player made. (except, presumably, the starter maps sold with packages).

Find yourself a good explorers' guild (there's one in Atravia and others in other kingdoms' duchies. There is a civil service order, The order of the blue rook who will be focusing on, among other things, logistics such as roads and highways, trade routes, etc. Offer your services as a scribe and cartographer for mapping out resources, planning roads, wayfinding and more.

8/1/2018 7:42:28 AM #3

Welcome to Elyria. I keep my mind clear on how the map will look like. There is not much we know that that it's procedural.

8/1/2018 8:20:06 PM #4

To me the number one player are those that want to take quests. I will design some nice quests for adventurers to partake in. Right now my posts for county and settlements aren't available publicly. But, one of my main focuses are on those that don't want to craft or take part in organized warfare or bounties. I will figure out ways to keep people involved with PvE, It might even be the easiest way to gain access to hunting permits within my domain. I hope to be able to accomplish a good solo game for the solo players.

8/1/2018 8:26:37 PM #5

Threw me off with your new avatar, Gunghoe.

8/1/2018 8:56:27 PM #6

Information is key and the way of the Maps will help all of Elyria in gaining access to that information. I'm sure if your Cartography skill are good, people will hire you to map out certain areas so a trade route can be formed or resources discovered.

[

8/2/2018 4:31:04 AM #7

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Posted By Sylvae at 7:17 PM - Tue Jul 31 2018

Heya, randulf22

Cartography is a thing, maps cannot be created without it, and they're all player made. (except, presumably, the starter maps sold with packages).

Find yourself a good explorers' guild (there's one in Atravia and others in other kingdoms' duchies. There is a civil service order, The order of the blue rook who will be focusing on, among other things, logistics such as roads and highways, trade routes, etc. Offer your services as a scribe and cartographer for mapping out resources, planning roads, wayfinding and more.

Thanks Sylvae! I'll definitely check out Atravia and The Order of the Blue Rook. Looks pretty cool. The starter package maps were something I wondered about. They're advertised as "detailed" but I'm sure the devs wouldn't provide something that would eliminate the need for player-created maps. And there will be relatively few of them out there in the world anyway.