COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Open Architecture and City Building Discussion

Open Architecture and City Building Discussion

Hey guys! I've had some amazing conversations with other community members about how we plan to build whether its conversation on architecture style, challenges each biome will present, modular vs. highly individualized buildings and the pros and cons of each ect. I'm curious to hear everyone's opinions and ideas on what you think about these things or what you're (tentative) plans are for the future. I'm curious not just about the actual building structures but what design/accessory features will be available to add such as shutters or decorative window boxes ect. Below I've added some visuals with what building materials and some images that might represent some of the features each tribe uses in case someone needs a handy refresher :) I know we don't have a ton of hard facts for this but half the fun is in speculating so let's hear it!

Please let me know if there is an error in the above slides or if I've overlooked a material or feature. Thank you!

8/2/2018 8:16:14 PM #1

That looks really great! The Janoa houses look interesting, would be nice if they use it. But I hope that the Kypiq houses get a rework, they look like something germans would put their garden gnomes in. I'd like more of a tree house style, kinda like in the movie Hook or really build in the tree like in Avatar.

8/2/2018 9:00:15 PM #2

Yep i'm confident the Kypiq housing will look very cool since once they're done. i think of those houses in the screenshots as the most basic version of the house they have to test scale and placement ect so not the finished product

8/2/2018 11:41:21 PM #3

I personally love housing in games. I am really looking forward to the customization we will be able to do to personalize our homes. I do wonder about how common some of the materials will be. I plan on playing a Neran and that barn looks like a ton of work to make. The amount of stone involved alone looks like it would take forever to gather.

Taking a break and don't know when I will be back.

8/2/2018 11:55:04 PM #4

Spot on. Great job :)

8/3/2018 1:35:25 AM #5

I love the endless possibilities and organic growth as the game goes that the system represents.

It keeps my mind racing at the thought of what can be done per parcel and what you can mold a city around or any particular style or flavor you want to add.

Not only that but the myriad of inventive ways you can cut down on crime or parkour in your city design.

Regardless of what resources you start with you will still have the resources to build something.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

8/3/2018 2:01:21 AM #6

This is great information! I love it!

On a random note, I imagine if you were a Dras player wanting to expand their home, you would have a boxy house rather than a dome or cone. This is simply because it's almost impossible to expand on a dome without rebuilding it (and I suspect the same of a cone), whereas it's relatively simple to add to a box. Just attach another box to the side.

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

8/3/2018 3:12:04 AM #7

Posted By Sir Zyr at 9:01 PM - Thu Aug 02 2018

On a random note, I imagine if you were a Dras player wanting to expand their home, you would have a boxy house rather than a dome or cone. This is simply because it's almost impossible to expand on a dome without rebuilding it (and I suspect the same of a cone), whereas it's relatively simple to add to a box. Just attach another box to the side.

I completely agree. I find a lot of the tribal architecture to be quite wasteful on resources which may or may not be available on domain selection.

It makes you wonder how quickly people will just abandon tribal architecture in leiu of more spacially useful functionality with their personal tastes. Or if the system forces you in some way to have to go with architectural tribal customs.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

8/3/2018 5:46:06 AM #8

I think tribal styles will be the default if you live in a very tribe-specific area. The larger your settlement and the more different tribes in it or in contact with it, the more styles that architects will be able to know about.

The assumption with any tribal style is that common buildings will efficiently use materials that are not easily obtainable. Materials that are easily available may not be used so efficiently. With greater wealth, there will be a tendency to show off through the inefficient and even conspicuously profligate use of even uncommon and rare materials.

8/3/2018 6:31:17 AM #9

Firstly, can I say Bluebelle well done for putting this post together. I think it's amazing for new players joining to see visual interpretations of the tribes architecture. This might make the difference of someone selecting a certain tribe.

8/3/2018 10:13:12 AM #10

Posted By Sir Zyr at 12:01 PM - Fri Aug 03 2018

Agreed, although I would point out that additional domes could be constructed and joint via sheltered paths, however this does limit the possibility of any vertical expension as it could be very difficult to build on top of a dome structure.

Very rarely does building take the shape of a dome in RL especially during old times as it is could be hard to build and the shape does sacrifice usable space in the inside.

There are dome-shaped architecture tho, and they tend to be on two polar extreme given the nature of the dome. Said architecture are usually free standing huts which are small and without the intention for any expansion; as such it would usually be for the purpose of a temporary shelter be it deconstructable or not. In this case the design would be mainly form by function to utilize the structural attributes of a dome.

On the other hand the dome as a geometric shape has also been used as a symbol for official buildings where a sense of authority and luxury is desirable. In this case the approach to utilizing a dome would mostly be for the visual quality and possibility to create large overarching voids. This architectural strategy could be found in historic temples and palaces.

As for the case of CoE I would imagine a division between RP architecture and utilitarian architecture...guess we will re-live the architecture history of Neoclassicism vs Mordernist architecture! Can't wait! Haha!

*edited - typo

8/3/2018 10:38:30 AM #11

Just imagine a megapolis with differentiated districts, like: Hrothi's area, Kypiq's ghetto, Janoa's End etc, having really discrepant look.. And some kind of..danger visiting not-your-neighbourhood.

8/3/2018 11:11:00 AM #12

Posted By Everliving at 11:38 AM - Fri Aug 03 2018

Just imagine a megapolis with differentiated districts, like: Hrothi's area, Kypiq's ghetto, Janoa's End etc, having really discrepant look.. And some kind of..danger visiting not-your-neighbourhood.

That would be cool Everliving. I'm hope to have districts within my Duchy's capital.

8/3/2018 12:13:18 PM #13

I will be designing buildings based on personal preferences. My designs won't necessarily follow local tribal styles, but will probably be made out of locally available resources. Also, I will take into account the biome's climate.

I am personally a big fan of a mix Baroque and the style as used by Hausmann's for the renovation of Paris. Whether or not such a mix will be possible in CoE remains to be seen of course, but I am hoping for a lot of flexibility.

8/3/2018 4:06:38 PM #14

I agree that domes aren't the best shape with expansion in mind I think a great alternative but you still want that potential to expand would be to stick with polygons like hexagons or octogenarian ect. That way you still have straight edged sides to build off of and you could do some really interested hive like structures. Also I wonder if the tribe construction will reflect temperatures of the biome like how the historic American architecture in the south has high ceilings to allow the worst of the heat to rise to the ceiling and lots of windows for airflow and

8/4/2018 12:25:57 PM #15

Posted By Bluebelle at 02:06 AM - Sat Aug 04 2018

I agree that domes aren't the best shape with expansion in mind I think a great alternative but you still want that potential to expand would be to stick with polygons like hexagons or octogenarian ect. That way you still have straight edged sides to build off of and you could do some really interested hive like structures. Also I wonder if the tribe construction will reflect temperatures of the biome like how the historic American architecture in the south has high ceilings to allow the worst of the heat to rise to the ceiling and lots of windows for airflow and

Very good point Mel! It would be interesting to see how much and to what extent would architectural elements interact with the climate system in game. For example, thick walls with smaller openings are utilized in architectural design in hot, and arid climates to retard heat from reaching the interior.

Likewise, a pitched roof system would be desirable in snowy areas as the shear weight of built up snow could compromise structural integrity. This in turn dictates the type, materiality and built form in the real world. If this would be a factor of any significance in-game, then we may see a greater influence by the climate than the cultural tradition of each tribe.

For example, players who find themselves situated in said area may need to adopt a similar design regardless of their tribe, as there may be disadvantages otherwise (perhaps the building would deteriorate a lot more rapidly?).