COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
NPC > PC Courting Dynamics

So, I posted this in CoE common room, and there wasn't a whole lot of interest. But I'm curious enough to attempt a broader audience. I hope that you'll share your thoughts and theories. After thinking about it more, there's obviously questions about non-romantic jealousy, as well. Such as an NPC coveting your business because maybe you're such an awesome blacksmith and you're making him look bad.

In a game with some emulation of realism, and developer and player passion for the drama of story telling, NPC initiated pursuit of a goal where the PC is the target can yield some pretty dynamic role-play opportunity, and probably some prompting for PCs to act together in response.

My questions:

1. We know that PCs can 'woo' and pursue NPCs for marriage, etc. I'm guessing due to the hierarchy behavior NPCs will be capable of wooing other NPCs. Will NPCs romantically pursue PCs at all? Will that 'break' the system that requires effort to gain marriage contract with an NPC? Will NPCs engage in deviant type sabotage of your business? Try to buy you out? Generally target you specifically, more than just generally being a 'bad guy NPC'.

2. if that's even the case, will NPCs take into consideration marriage status? could an NPC make attempts on a married PC, doing the "wrong" thing morally, and 'knowing' it?

3. since NPCs (presumably) can court NPCs and PCs can court NPCs, will PCs get to compete romantically with NPCs for the affection of their target? For contracts? for positions on government, military, or social status?

4. Can a PC wind up with a shrew NPC spouse, ala Fable? or a spouse who cheats, drinks/gambles your money away? etc down the line of awful things spouses can do. Can an NPC swindle their business partner? Downright attempt to destroy your business? your reputation?

5. The cheese of "The Sims: Elyria", is an uncomfortable trope borne of, what feels like, squirmy self consciousness. The above list of questions is just a few regarding the NPC vs PC dynamics possible with the intended AI that will allow for jealosy and strife. Bitter, petty contempt. Fierce, highly personal competition. Could your 'arch nemises' (beyond the soul mates mechanics) be an NPC?

I'm very much hoping that NPCs will also engage in dynamic and personal vendettas, romantic pursuit (whether wholesome or dastardly), and otherwise taking an interest in the PCs that are playing among them. Without the petty, ugly side, they wouldn't really live up to the 'npcs are to be indiscernible from pcs' thing, eh? :p

8/24/2018 1:11:06 AM #1

Great questions deserving detailed answers, unfortunately the lack of any mention of vampires, liches, magic or griefers will always get a good question glossed over in that wonderful chat.

8/24/2018 2:16:16 AM #2

Those would all be incredible features -- but such behaviors begin to approximate robust AI and not just personality simulation.

That said, I understand that there is some dynamic process of attraction and aversion of NPCs to settlements -- and mayors who set up a settlement with good opportunities for NPCs (jobs, low rent, affordable real estate) will attract NPCS, while harsh mayors who over-tax them will drive them away. I wonder if that process can be replicated on a business or a romantic level as well. If so, it would add a huge amount of depth to NPC/PC interaction.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

8/24/2018 2:36:49 AM #3

Posted By Beathan at 10:16 PM - Thu Aug 23 2018

Those would all be incredible features -- but such behaviors begin to approximate robust AI and not just personality simulation.

That said, I understand that there is some dynamic process of attraction and aversion of NPCs to settlements -- and mayors who set up a settlement with good opportunities for NPCs (jobs, low rent, affordable real estate) will attract NPCS, while harsh mayors who over-tax them will drive them away. I wonder if that process can be replicated on a business or a romantic level as well. If so, it would add a huge amount of depth to NPC/PC interaction.

That's what I'm thinking, too. If they're following hierarchy of needs and also have dark/light alignment there should be capability for that to be applied to relationships with PCs, given that NPCs and PCs are supposed to be 'the same' as far as the game is concerned. :) Therefore (for example) a 'dark' aligned NPC may be able to approach a goal in a way that could be considered harmful or skeevy to others. Underhanded. Another NPC may find drink or gambling or chasing women higher on his hierarchy level for 'comfort' than a happy home, and will summarily chase that goal, at the expense of his partner's happiness or well being.

8/24/2018 8:10:12 PM #4

Good questions and similar to ones that have fluttered through my mind in the past. Something from a past Q/A has me leaning towards the answer of "no" on question one but that is my own speculation on old information that I cannot fully identify atm [I saw it awhile back]. I however lean towards yes to question number 3 because of similar circumstances as my question 1 leaning.

Even if these questions have been answered previously [I do not believe any / most of them have ] they are good questions to ask to either confirm prior information as still being accurate or to notify us of changes that happened in development.

8/25/2018 4:30:27 AM #5

It sure has me wondering! Awesome set of questions!

9/13/2018 6:57:27 AM #6

I really hope that NPC's engage in personal, economic and political competition/warfare as well as the regular warfare they have said will happen. That would make the game so much more varied, especially given their gossip/communication/fame system that is going to be NPC dependent. Then an NPC spreading rumors becomes that much more impactful...because are they doing it because a PC told them that information...and do you have to worry about a PC coming after you by using that system...or is it an NPC/group of NPC's. That would also make vendetta's on their part that much cooler....haha, and can you imagine an NPC stalker?!? One of them becomes romantically fixated on you and views you as his/her ideal companion and starts working events to achieve that end. Sooo many possibilities.

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7