COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Tribal Armor Concept(s): Waerd Light and Medium Armor

Hail Elyrians!

Shiny time is upon us again! Why, it seems like a short while ago that we were sharing a concept sculpt of the mysterious Dras Light Armor, doesn't it? Ah well, time flies and, while the Dras armor may have been mysterious, it wasn't weird.

So, what do you say? Do you want to see something Waerd? Something really Waerd? I know I do! That's why we selected the Waerd light armor concept sculpt for today's shiny.

And in true weird Waerd form, it's not actually shiny at all:

Though, that hardly seems fair, right? An unshiny shiny just feels like bad form, so while no one was looking, a few of us conspired to bring you a second shiny for the day, the Waerd's medium armor concept sculpt. Have a look!

Facelessness is more than an intimidation tactic among the Waerd. Their beliefs create within their communities a sense of singularity - a sense that all Waerd are the Waerd - and their armor is emblematic of this concept. On the battlefield, the Waerd fight as one, and no one warrior calls themselves out above the rest. Only the need for some Waerd to wear more or less armor differentiates them at a distance. For those enemies that delight in decapitating an army by severing their connection to their leaders, the Waerd are a problematic foe, for who among the multitude is the leader?

As with all of our concept sculpts, the Waerd armor sculpts are an exploration of materials, vertex weighting, and other elements that describe how the armor lays on the body and how it looks in use.

I hope you enjoy it! :)

• Snipehunter
10/12/2018 12:50:11 PM #31

Will there be any impaired visibility effect applied when wearing the full face medium armour helm? Like a darkened hazy effect from looking through what appears to be gauze.

Friend & Conquest Code: 6B3A23

10/12/2018 5:53:08 PM #32

Now to the actual details of the armor...

The Light armor does seem to be made of some type of fabric...Is it perhaps some type of a ballistic material?...Kind of an Elyrian Kevlar?...or is it maybe some type of covering for something inside it? The Chest piece could be hiding a ceramic insert or something similar to todays tactical body armor. That would fit with The Waerd style of warfare.

The Medium armor is interesting in the fact that it uses the same wrapping around the neck and waist but a different underlayment. It could be chain, but it also could be something else. Very modular.

And as somebody pointed out, you aren't going to see mass formations of either of these on the battlefield because that's not how The Waerd fight.

The Light style is very reflective on the close quarter assassination combat style that is referred to in the lore. The more that it looks a lot like your ordinary everyday Waerd wardrobe the better for deceiving and getting close to your target.

And I see the Medium being used in more of a skirmishing/raiding type of role. I agree that the visual factor of this would be very striking on horseback. Especially silouetted against the sky and the terrain. Is it also used as a psy-op message to warn others that they have been seen and are now being watched by The Waerd? The eyes and ears of The Waerd are everywhere, and right now they are turned on you.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

10/12/2018 5:58:39 PM #33

I like the wrap hood. Easy beginner pattern for tailors too, literally just a strip of rectangular fabric. The glint in the chain mail is hnnngggggg. Noooiiiice.

Kypiq proprietor - Weaver/Tailor/Designer - Broad Leaf Forest

10/12/2018 7:56:40 PM #34

I am loving the medium set <3

10/12/2018 9:08:19 PM #35

The idea of Facelessness medium armor making a whole group as one is awesome !

It really fit well with the Waerd culture !

Good idea to get inspired from the Tuareg.

Tuareg Knight with 2 Shamshir swords. Good job !

The light armor is original !

Female character could decorate it with strass and nice colors.

It just looks more like a cloth than an armor to me. Maybe something that hides the body movement with draped cloth would have inspired me more.

Tuareg Robe that hides the body movement

The overall artwork fits in the desert. Well done !

Eolwyn Lunicorne

10/13/2018 12:17:18 AM #36

I feel like the light armor is more of a keep you alive in the elements gear than stop a hammer to the head gear. I live in arizona and last month if i walked to the grocery store in the med armor, i would seriously die. It was 118 degrees f. So its best to think of the desert and arid climate armors as protection from the elements first and then whatever you could actually move around in and not die.

10/13/2018 2:40:05 AM #37

"And as somebody pointed out, you aren't going to see mass formations of either of these on the battlefield because that's not how The Waerd fight. "

The Waerd don't do pitched battles, where the battlefield is set and agreed to beforehand. Regular warfare is fair game.

"Female character could decorate it with strass and nice colors."

The Waerd don't do that. They seek to be indistinguishable from each other, including both genders having unisex clothing. Jewelry, for females specifically, throws that out the window.

10/13/2018 4:21:45 PM #38

The medium armor looks great!!

10/14/2018 7:25:16 AM #39

Love the look ... but not seeing is rather a large disadvantage lol. And yes, you can look though chain, but it's not good ... yeah add rain and forget it.

Link to my story

10/14/2018 10:17:27 AM #40

Great work! Love both of the armor sets. Especially the light one. Gives me the feeling of sneaking around without making noises.

10/15/2018 6:44:30 AM #41

Posted By Athad at 5:54 PM - Thu Oct 11 2018

The medium armor looks great however the light armor doesn't look like armor.

Agreed about the light armor: unless the point is to conceal the fact that you're armored, it needs to look tougher.

The medium armor looks great.

10/16/2018 9:10:11 PM #42

I love this!

'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.` ~Edmund Burke

10/20/2018 3:58:45 AM #43

Things just keep getting exciting. I love it!

BF3AB9 ?

10/21/2018 9:13:58 AM #44

nice! Don't forget the detachable veil for the light armor!!! I imagine the Weard similar(maybe even inspired by) the Aiel of the Wheel of Time.

11/2/2018 12:18:45 AM #45

I really dig the Waerd aesthetic.

I imagine that the light armor is so light/seemingly unprotective because of an emphasis on stealth and the element of surprise. You don't need protection from blows if your enemy doesn't get a chance.

Builder of Roads | NA-W To'resk

Friend code: C827D6