COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
Idea for To'resk Mansion

For a bigger picture, click here

Hello everyone, it's me again. xD With a "newish design"

So I decided to make a house for the To'resk, I have still to see how the architecture of the rest of the tribes (besides Neran, Janoa) will look, but seeing as I might very well end up in To'resk "lands" I might as well post a very subjective wish for how I would like a To'resk mansion to look, now I'll run through the different things:

We'll start from bottom up:

• The Pillars in the ground hits bedrock (which makes it possible to build tall) and are under the "sand layer" and therefore will harden over time, as there are no new oxygen coming in contact. (aka. won't ever rot)

• The stone foundation is pretty simple, I made it arches as To'resk's landscape will raise and fall with water, and having arches requires less stone than filling the whole foundation (and wetlands aren't known for stone, so importing this would be reserved for "wealthier families" which makes building tall, a thing wealthier families can afford to do.

• There's a docking area and on the other side a bridge that gives access to carriages etc. since carriages is going to be the go to for traveling traders, so we might as well increase the chance of them being able to transport their wares. The walkways are covered in arches with no railings.

• Coming the main part of the house you'll most likely notice the big windows, it's important to note that most of the glass is cut up into small squares, as "buying" and "transporting" bigger pieces of glass (aka. most likely from places that have sand like the desert) is going to be a costly affair, not to mention the not-so-good relationship the To'resk have with the Waerd. Others will most likely notice a bit of the asien-influenced roofing, merged with a more Gothic-styled architecture. Since it's been said that Dras use gothic-inspired architecture I found it suiting that they would get it from the To'resk.

• There's a few spires, as the taller you can build your house shows how solid your foundation is, and the wider you can build your house shows how much stone (and money you therefore have) to be able to import that much.

• White Roof, I've painted the roof white (with some gold here and there) as white reflects up to 90% of the sunlight, instead of absorbing it, (was done back in ancient times as well, so it's nothing new) It also prevents "cracking" as the temperature won't rise and fall drastically, like it might with black roofs, and it also works as an isolation against the weather (since the whole top part is build out of wood.) so when rain falls it won't damage the building as much.

Finishing notes: The building can just as well be covered in different types of paint, that I don't think it'll be out of place for To'resk to paint their buildings in fancy styles or with beautiful depictions. Just a note, I haven't done it in this example, but just a thought.

What do you think? too much? too little? pretty? ugly? or do you see the To'resk going for an entirely different style?

10/18/2018 1:24:43 PM #1

Beautiful! I'd love to own a manor like that. The intricate Gothic-styled towers and windows are perfect for To'resk. Great job!

10/18/2018 3:49:22 PM #2

simply gorgeous, i think you really captured the essence of the to'resk.

After all it's said "the to'resk are a people of manners and ceremony, and appreciate fine things and ornamentation over physical appearance."

that comes across in your art. you can really see the refined and beautiful culture in the architecture. Can't wait to see what the devs decided for the to'resk, hopefully it's something like this.

10/18/2018 4:00:14 PM #3

Wow. That looks absolutely incredible.

Alt text - can be left blank

10/18/2018 6:26:49 PM #4

I can just imagine how the rooftops will be view-able from afar, as they are raised above the treetops, could be quite the sight, but I do hope for something very fancy for the To'resk architecture, would hate it if it was just a stilted shack x)

10/18/2018 7:28:54 PM #5

we did get a peak at some to'resk building aesthetics in those vox elyria pics. the one with the stilted building in the middle of a pond.

It looked a bit like neran architecture but on stilts. but vox elyria doesnt leave room for the best detail so I take those with a grain of salt.

The to'resk like pretty things so I think it would be very lore breaking if they dared to build ugly rough homes.

10/18/2018 7:33:35 PM #6

and i like the look of that covered barge in the picture. it would be nice to use take a boat ride around the wetlands every now and then and not get beaten by sunlight.

10/18/2018 8:00:42 PM #7

I did notice it now that you say it, I wasn't really sure if it was To'resk, mostly because I thought it somewhat "crumbly" in the appearance, and as you say, that wouldn't quite add up to how To'resk would like to see themselves :P

10/18/2018 8:05:29 PM #8

First of all, that art is spectacular. The detail is wonderful, and I can readily imagine seeing mansions like that along certain areas within the tropical marshes.

My sole "gripe", really just an observation, is that I don't think they'll really use much stone at all in the construction of their houses, even the wealthier castes. I feel like sturdy wood being used as most if not all of the foundation makes more sense. That said, your explanation of stone being used does make sense, and I could see it being done in certain cases, especially as time goes on and the architecture starts branching out a bit.

All in all, that is really some excellent work there. I look forward to seeing something like it in game!

"Would you like my hat?"

10/18/2018 8:35:39 PM #9

@Epicface Thank you very much :>

The reason I picked stone was because wood often exposed to water (with the raising and falling water-levels a wetland etc. have to offer) they'll most likely rot in not that many years, where stone could last for several generations. (Also the reason why the buried wood works is because it's not exposed to the oxygen etc. that wood will need to decompose, and therefor harden to the point of stone almost, over time.

Hope that makes somewhat sense xD So if the To'resk are going to build a house for their entire family that'll last several generations, investing in stone might be a good idea :>

10/18/2018 8:51:47 PM #10

It's beautiful, quite advanced architecturally, maybe we will need some research before reaching such nice looking buildings, but I'll definitely try to get there ^^

10/19/2018 12:06:15 AM #11

Lovely work Liva! I love the bridge going down to the water :-)

10/19/2018 4:26:13 AM #12

Love this Venice vibe with the bridge, canals and boats around, and the art is beautiful!

I imagined lots of different styles for their architecture, there are so many possibilities, but I can totally imagine To'resk aristocrats walking around and living in that mansion.

10/19/2018 5:14:31 PM #13

The funny thing is that I was more inspired by the Château de Chenonceau, and didn't really look up venetian architecture, though I would be lieing if I said that the way the stone is build isn't resembling that of Venice :>