COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Analysing map voting from different perspectives

These analyses are the combined effort of multiple citizens of Lighthalzen. We do not aim at persuading anyone how they should vote. Instead, we hope to spark more discussion, and intorduce more angles for us to look at the maps.

We are going to present our analysis from 3 perspectives : Exploration, Economic and Military. And since this will be lengthy, we plan to roll them out as we write it in the coming days. This is only our opinions, so feel free to ciriticise and respond, just do not take things personal.

This thread will summarise our analysis in and if you want to look into the details of our analysis, you can visit their respective threads:

EXPLORATION

ECONOMIES

MILITARY

EXPLORATION

I have come up with 3 criteria to evaluate the maps from the exploration perspectives:

1) Accessibility to harsh extreme biomes (definition down below);
2) The size of these extreme biomes;
3) Coastline / bays implying readiness for exploration by sea in the future.
Extreme biomes:

Taiga, Semi-Arid Desert, Bog, Swamp and Tropical Rainforest;

Diffcult biomes:

Alpine Forest, Rocky Mountain Steppe, Marsh, Salt Marsh, Tropical Wetland;

Moderate :

Lower Montane, Broad Leaf Forest, Mixed Leaf Forest, Shrublands, Shrub Steppe, Grasslands, Woodland Savanna

1) Accessibility to harsh extreme biomes :

I) Extreme biomes are rather easy to access, because moderate biome is closed and can serve as depots for restock and repairs. It implies rewards for exploration may not be as high: Map G, R, T

II) In these maps, the extreme biomes maybe far from the major South North trade route, or a great portion of its territories still await us to explore: Map F (Tropical wetland), Map M, O, (Tropical rainforest)

III) Maps with hard route to enter the toughest biome. The first adventurer who investigate every corner of these extreme biomes can be confident that he is entitled to treasures : Map A, C, E, H, I, J, K, N, P, Q, S (Taiga); Map B, D, E, I, J, K, L, N (Tropical rainforest), L (Semi-Arid desert)

2)Size of Extreme biomes:

I am not going to discuss size in the absolute sense (i.e. measuring in KM square). Instead comparative size is used: comparing sizes of extreme biomes, to other biomes. I am using Zylas's data, Count Zimmah's google doc's “Area data” as the basis of this analysis. Great thanks to both of them. I basically award points to each extreme biome base on their size, the higher the score, size is considered larger.

I)Maps scoring 9 or 10 points:

Map A, F, G, H, J, S and T

II)The following maps score 11 or 12 points:

Map B, C, D, E, L, M, N and O

III)The following maps score 13 or 14 points:

Map I, K, L, P and Q

Before moving to the 3rd portion, I would like to summarise the results of the 2 previous analysis as both of them focus on exploration before sea-faring technology is possible:

Map L has a large area in extreme biomes, at the same time, its biomes are among the hardest to access. Therefore, it provides the most content for exploration players. This map also has the biggest Bog biome out of all the maps. The top choice if you want the most exploration.

The second place is tied between Map K, and Map N for me.

The third place : Map I

My 4th map would actually be Map C.

3)Coastline / bays implying readiness for exploration by sea in the future.

The longer the coastlines for a biome, and the more bays. the higher chance, the more wood there is, the better the biome is equipped for ship building.

These biomes are the Best for abundant supplies of woods: Alpine Forest, Taiga, Mixed Leaf Forest, Broad Leaf Forest, Salt Marsh, Woodland Savannah

I have measured coastlines of every map by using a mouse tracking software and by hovering the mouse along the coastline of each map. The map is enlarge to 200% of original size to reduce error. Only the top 6 maps with the best biome having the highest total coastline length will be further analysed.

Results:

Map B offers the best landscape for Neran coastal settlements. If all kingdoms are co-operative in prioritising ship building in the world. Map B should allow them to pool it their resources quickly and be the first server to found new continents. You can't ask for a better map for that.

Map E may lead to a split of naval competition of the North and the South. The Brudvir may come out on top in the North, while the South is anyone's guess.

Map A seems to be the map where the Northern tribes will have a strong hear start to everyone else.

Map S have most of naval action on the Western Coast, while the Easten coast is calm. It is also the map most likely to give birth to an early Janoa naval force.

Map Gis the map where all the naval powerhouses are rather even. This is the map you want to vote for if you want to see all styles of naval technology development blossom.

Map H is the wild card, where no one knows which tribe will have a lead in the naval race. Add in the inland sea, nothing is certain. Except the Woodland Savanna To'resk is out.

Economics

1)Trading Power

When looking at maps that can do multiple land trading with other Kingdoms but with Kingdom 3 and 4 hold the power of south and north trading, the following maps are similar: Map A, B, D, E, F, I, O, Q, R and S

The following maps have kingdom 3 blocking the south and north land trading, which give them the most land trade bargaining power: Map J, L, N

The following maps have kingdom 4 blocking the south and north land trading, which give them the most land trade bargaining power: Map K, M, P

The following maps have kingdoms stacking on each other which give each of them the similar bargaining power for land trading: map C, G, H, T

Results: Only on map T, kingdom 1 has the control power on top of kingdom 2 trading route. Map T will be the most favorable to Kingdom 1.

Kingdom 2 has the most bargaining power in Map M and P, where it also borders Kingdom 4. In Map T, Kingdom 2 has the weakest bargaining power.

Map L and N favor kingdom 3 in terms of trading the most.

In map P, gets the Grassland in exchange of the Shrub Steppe, is the most favorable map for kingdom 4 trades.

Kingdom 5 touches kingdom 3 on maps B, J, L, and N. But it seldom becomes a trading power house.

Kingdom 6 is not strong on trade on any of the maps, its best option are maps which borders more than 1 kingdom.

In maps C, G, H and T, the kingdoms stack on each other. These four maps let each kingdom control each other, where their bargaining power will be similar.

MILITARY

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

10/28/2018 7:30:17 AM #1

Being involved in technical map assessment for Demalion, I deliberately chose to not put much effort in assessing possible accessibility/explorability aspects of the biomes in this stage. Major geographical features (like lakes, rivers, dense forests and mountain ridges) of the maps can have a massive impact on potential travel and trade routes. Maps that seemed to possibly provide a major obstacle or attractive corridor can then turn out to be quite the opposite. So when these geographical features become known in round 2 the technicalities of the accessibility/explorability aspects can change dramatically when going from round 1 to round 2. Consequently, chances are high that the efforts you put in analyzing those aspects for round 1 maps and the subsequent scores you may assign to them, turn out to be meaningless for your overall map comparison. This may be a bit different when performing the assessment from the perspective of a kingdom instead of doing it for smaller groups of players, but overall the reasoning is the same. We did use 'biome accessibility' and some path lengths to assess several mititary and trade aspects of the maps, but quite roughly and for relatively short range, for the same reason.

10/28/2018 4:32:07 PM #2

Thanks for the comment, Alteogre. I have thought about something similar during my analysis. I would agree, if we are discussing the optimal route getting from point A to point B, we definitely do not have the information to draw useful conclusions.

However, since we are expected to get through a biome with multiple Elyrian days (unless we are lucky enough to find a boat sailing along the river). The impact from the biome itself will definitely be significant. When CoE eventually comes out, I do expect we should also consider the predators we may come across, the seasons, the weather, and the details of the terrain etc.

I know I am making some assumptions here. But hey, I believe information available to us now are reasonable enough to classifying maps into 3 broad tiers. By the way, the scoring system is only used for the analysis on the size of the biome, which is calculated by counting the pixels on the maps shown. It is not related to the accessibility : )

Thanks for the respond!

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

10/30/2018 6:26:57 AM #3

Updated the military section, summary of it will come later

10/31/2018 5:05:16 PM #4

Updated part 3) Coastliones and Bays for Exploration and added a sumamry for it.

10/31/2018 5:38:41 PM #5

Posted By Roarer at 10:05 AM - Wed Oct 31 2018

Updated part 3) Coastliones and Bays for Exploration and added a sumamry for it.

Interesting, but can you explain why I didn't make your list of good shipbuilding maps? It seems preferable, from that perspective, to several of the maps you listed.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

11/1/2018 6:34:54 AM #6

Thanks for the question, Beathan. Sorry for replying late.

I am not sure if you have read the detail analysis linked in the post. I gave an explanation how I narrow down the maps.

With that said, Map I did not make the list because of the coastal length of the biomes that best support ship building being too short.

I expect ship-building will need

1) Coastal settlements and 2) Healthy supply of lumber

Having a bay will greatly help the development of the technology, but is not essential.

We don't have information on settlements yet, so I use the coastal length as the basis of an estimatation of # of coastal settlements or potential locations for setting it up.

Now, pulling data from my detailed analysis, Map I has a total coastline of 232units, which is the longest among all the maps. However, for the biomes that best support ship building, their total coastline length is only 66 units, which rank #5 the shortest. This means, a lot of its coastal settlements may not have a healthy supply of lumber. This implies that the naval technology development for the continent as a whole may be slower than the maps I listed.

I did not delve deep into the implication for biomes having an average amount of wood supply (e.g. grassland, Lower montane etc) because of time constraint. I gotta finish the analysis before the round 1 voting deadline. Adding in those factors will take much more time I can afford. XD

I hope my explanation answers your question.

11/1/2018 7:35:56 AM #7

I have to disagree with one of the parameters that you used.

You said that Taiga, because of its abundant wood is a good biome for ship building. Several facts make that assertion wrong.

First the tribe living in the Taiga, the Brudvir. The Brudvir are skillful carpenters, but they are slow workers and have small settlements and scattered population, both points make them suboptimal for both large size ship building and large size ship research.

Second is the wood itself. To make a boat you use two kind of wood, hardwood and softwood, coniferous are softwoods and as such are not used for the stronger parts of ship, those which are used for the load bearing regions. The Taiga and its coniferous only trees is a terrible wood supplier for large ocean faring vessels.

So i suggest you apply a diminished coefficient to the Taiga value or you completely strip it from your list of biomes that best support ship building.

Now that i dive a bit more into it, same should be done with the Broad Leaf Forest, it has perfect wood, but it is inhabited by the Kypiq which are not going to lumber or let anyone lumber their forest, so the Broad Leaf Forest is probably one of the worst biome for shipbuilding.

And on a side note, reducing ship building to wood and coast is a terrible lack of understanding of what a ship is and needs.

To make a ship you need deep water port, not any kind of shore, you need wood, both hardwood and softwood, but if you could do without softwood, you can not do without hardwood, you need fabric for sails and you need ropes, but that's not all you'll need tar and food/water preserved for them to last long enough.

With the maps we have it is impossible to tell which coast has deep waters or dont, so i'll leave that criteria away. Wood we already touched that matter so lets go on to the next.

Sails, sails need fabric which means flax, cotton or silk. The Broad Leaf Forest that was disqualified for wood due to Kypiqs is rehabilitated thanks to them for the sails and ropes, as they are master silk weavers and producers. It also give an attractiveness to biomes that can produce hemp, cotton and/or flax without hurting food production and being close enough to sea.

Food is a general subject, but maps with the larger farming friendly biomes are going to get a boost.

And finally tar, tar is either produced from coniferous or harvested, but in CoE we also might add alchemy, so the Waerd get a big push into ship building effort and the Brudvir can redeem themself a little that way.

11/1/2018 10:16:19 AM #8

While I mostly agree with what Markof has said I just want to point out two things.

Posted By markof at 07:35 AM - Thu Nov 01 2018

Second is the wood itself. To make a boat you use two kind of wood, hardwood and softwood, coniferous are softwoods and as such are not used for the stronger parts of ship, those which are used for the load bearing regions. The Taiga and its coniferous only trees is a terrible wood supplier for large ocean faring vessels.

It is perfectly viable to build an ocean-going vessel entirely out of softwoods. In fact several times during the 17th, 18th and early 19th Centuries the Royal Navy built non-line vessels (sloops, brigs and the like) out of softwoods due to the need to reserve hardwood stocks for the creation of ships-of-the-line. It is, in fact, cheaper to build ships out of softwood since softwoods grow faster.

Building a vessel out of softwoods has its drawbacks, softwoods degrade faster than hardwoods and are less able to resist weather and/or battle damage. Softwoods are also less able to take strain, meaning that you're limited in length and broadside (90ft and 10 guns is about the maximum).

To make a ship you need deep water port, not any kind of shore, you need wood, both hardwood and softwood, but if you could do without softwood, you can not do without hardwood, you need fabric for sails and you need ropes, but that's not all you'll need tar and food/water preserved for them to last long enough.

While you are right about needing sails (unless the vessel is purely muscle powered) and ropes. Taring is optional (though personally, I'd recommend it since it helps preserve the wood but if you're building on the cheap and don't mind a rapid degradation in ship utility (or can afford to constantly replace rotted parts of the ship) you can get away without taring.

Also, deep-water ports are optional - if we are talking about the only criteria being that the vessel is capable of traversing oceans flat-bottomed vessels are perfectly capable of doing so - as the vikings and pacific islanders can well attest. However, the ocean-going vessels used by the vikings and pacific islanders are hardly paragons of comfort, nor will they support a fledgeling colony or long-term expedition except in large numbers.

Coming Soon(tm)

11/1/2018 4:19:44 PM #9

Posted By markof at 3:35 PM - Thu Nov 01 2018

I have to disagree with one of the parameters that you used.

You said that Taiga, because of its abundant wood is a good biome for ship building. Several facts make that assertion wrong.

First the tribe living in the Taiga, the Brudvir. The Brudvir are skillful carpenters, but they are slow workers and have small settlements and scattered population, both points make them sub-optimal for both large size ship building and large size ship research.

So i suggest you apply a diminished coefficient to the Taiga value or you completely strip it from your list of biomes that best support ship building.

Now that i dive a bit more into it, same should be done with the Broad Leaf Forest, it has perfect wood, but it is inhabited by the Kypiq which are not going to lumber or let anyone lumber their forest, so the Broad Leaf Forest is probably one of the worst biome for shipbuilding.

And on a side note, reducing ship building to wood and coast is a terrible lack of understanding of what a ship is and needs.

Thanks Markof, for your great reply. CoE forum do generate higher quality of p[ost, I guess.

In regards to the Kypig's religion holding them back from taking down trees for shipbuilding, of course I agree with you. After all, I suggested it in my analysis. However, I believe a lot of the Kypigs pushing for ship building will be players, not NPC. This implies, their religion might not hold them back as much. Despite that, they would still need to break the cultural dogma to become a naval power.

I see this as an obstacle to be overcomed by the players, not a hinderance that tied down the kypig in the long run. I recall Caspian saying the culture and the religion are just the opening setting of the world, and is expected to be changed by the players. Since we are talking long term here, it is not going to hold down the development of naval technology as much as having less woods. I do have to admit, this is merely a difference of extent, and this is just my opinion, not being supported by any official information.

Secondly, what a great point you have for the resources needed for ship-building. Now, I wonder how knowledgeable are the Subject Matter expert for ship building :) I expect the shiup building technology to be developed over a period of time. Instead of building intercontinental vessels right away, I believe many techniques in carpentry has to be developed first. A lot of those can be practised by making coastal vessels which the excels at, and the Taiga can support.

I admitted that I am not as knowledgeable on ship building as Markof. Except hardwood, I have no clue what other resources will go into ship building and I have no clue how SBS will implement the ship building blueprint. And since we have no information on where all these potential other resources can be collected from on the map, I can't draw any conclusions for map voting by considering this factor.

One last thing to add, it is reasonable to expect that any factions having an early advantage will leverage it. If the Brudvir has an early coastal advantage, we have no clue if it can leverage it to get those needed resources for ocean vessels. So.. I don't see the Taiga is inherently less supportive to the ship-building technology in the long run.

By the way, please keep up the great comments. We need more good replies!