COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Tribal Armor Concept Sculpt: Neran Medium Armor

Hail my fellow Elyrians! How goes your Thursday? My Thursday, thanks for asking, is shiny! And this is one of those times when I mean that literally, since we're talking Neran armor and those Nerans love their steel plate. I mean, even their medium armor shines!

Check it out:

Now personally, I'm not a big fan of the way the gorget lays on this particular sculpt, though I'm also not a fan of that particular neck plate gorget style in general, so I have admit I've got a bit of a bias here. That is my only real complaint though; as usual the team does good work!

But the beauty of the concept sculpt process (I mean, beyond the actual beauty of the sculpts themselves!) is that I get a chance to make my case here - When we bring the concepts into 3D, we can start to see the problems that weren't readily apparent in the original 2D concept drawing. (This is often due to the angle presented, or because the concept drawing can only show so much detail in so much space.) So at this stage I can call out the gorget as mildly problematic and explain the gameplay implications of leaving your throat open like that.

And when we call out problems like this, we analyze the sculpt from every angle, figure out what about the look we want to preserve and then work out a plan to address the issue while keeping the aesthetic and style intact. It's a relatively rare occurrence at this point in our project, but the process we use was built specifically to address things like this.

As famed strategist Hannibal is oft quoted as saying, "I love it when a plan comes together." ;)

But you know, my extremely personal opinion about the gorget aside? I really love this sculpt. The metal work in particular. I've got a lot of friends in the SCA, and a few more who are into HEMA - the metal of their armor, when it's not covered in sweaty grime, looks pretty much exactly like this. I even know one SCA heavy fighter in particular who wore a coat of plates with a similar design as part of his standard kit, though made of differing materials, of course.

So what do you think? Are we cough Neran 'nuff cough to the real thing for your taste here?

Let us know your thoughts!

• Snipehunter
1/24/2019 9:49:49 PM #1

Very nice!

Kernothia

1/24/2019 9:50:03 PM #2

nice

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

1/24/2019 9:50:10 PM #3

nice indeed yeah

1/24/2019 9:50:23 PM #4

Fantastic!

1/24/2019 9:50:26 PM #5

Love it! Keep up the good work!!

FEAR NO DARKNESS

1/24/2019 9:51:24 PM #6

Is there any way we could get some hint as to whether all Neran create armor looking like this or if there are differences between the various Neran groups in the different biomes? It seems like the Neran perhaps have the widest variance in biomes, thus why I ask this question for this particular armor.

1/24/2019 9:53:39 PM #7

Posted By 1mmaculateDeception at 1:51 PM - Thu Jan 24 2019

Is there any way we could get some hint as to whether all Neran create armor looking like this or if there are differences between the various Neran groups in the different biomes? It seems like the Neran perhaps have the widest variance in biomes, thus why I ask this question for this particular armor.

In terms of the design of the Neran as a tribe, we're focusing on the commonalities between most Nerans first. However, if it helps, let me share a tidbit from behind the scenes: When we discuss the Neran, we often talk about the cultural differences between the "southern" and "northern" Neran.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
1/24/2019 9:53:44 PM #8

Looking good! :thumbsup: :D

1/24/2019 9:54:26 PM #9

Nice peace of armour u got there.

1/24/2019 9:54:51 PM #10

Posted By Snipehunter at 2:53 PM - Thu Jan 24 2019

In terms of the design of the Neran as a tribe, we're focusing on the commonalities between most Nerans first. However, if it helps, let me share a tidbit from behind the scenes: When we discuss the Neran, we often talk about the cultural differences between the "southern" and "northern" Neran.

Very much so, thank you Snipe!

1/24/2019 9:55:09 PM #11

Looks Neran enough for me. ;)

But I thought the plates of a coat of plates were on the inside and would overlap.

1/24/2019 9:55:13 PM #12

Awesome! I am really stoked to hear that you have friends in the SCA and HEMA. That makes me feel even better about the direction combat, weapons, and armor are going!

Magnus Erikson

1/24/2019 9:55:44 PM #13

Lovely, you could just wear a chainmail hood and wear a helmet, that solves the neck problem

1/24/2019 9:57:20 PM #14

Posted By 1mmaculateDeception at 3:54 PM - Thu Jan 24 2019

Posted By Snipehunter at 2:53 PM - Thu Jan 24 2019

Very much so, thank you Snipe!

I was wondering that same thing myself. I'm glad to know there will be regional differences and not just one type of race gear throughout the continent.

1/24/2019 9:59:25 PM #15

I like it.