COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Plant Hardiness Zones

With numerous plants already offered by SBS and DS&S coming up, many of us who have purchased plant seeds wonder if we will even get to use them depending on the biome, or try and barter with someone else to get something useful out of the money we put in.

With the recent Tree Packet Promotion, you guys divided the four packs into "Mild, Arid, Temperate, and Tropical" divisions then followed up that:

• K1 and K2 are Mild
  • K3 is Temperate
  • K4 is Arid
  • K5 and K6 is Tropical

OCE:

• K1: Mild
  • K2: Temperate/Arid
  • K3: Arid/Temperate/Tropical
  • K4: Tropical
  • K2 Shrublands is Temperate/Arid hybrid
  • K3 Semi-Arid Desert: Arid
  • K3 Bog: Temperate
  • K3 Grasslands: Temperate
  • K3 Marsh: Temperate/Tropical

We Currently have 31 different types of plants that have been offered to us through promotions and only half have had any indication of where they could be planted, the tree packages and the Lowland River Farm.

Can we get some info about where these plants could be farmed on each of the maps? A hardiness rating and map could aid us in land selection.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.gurneys.com/images/Zone_map4.gif

For those of you that are curious about every plant that has been offered so far (including fungi)

Fruit-Bearing Trees:

• Pomegranate Tree (16 Packets / Parcel (1 Packet))

• Apricot Tree (16 Packets / Parcel)

• Almond Tree (16 Packets / Parcel)

• Apple Tree (16 Packets / Parcel)

• Whitehart Cherry Tree (16 Packets / Parcel)

• Plum Tree (16 Packets / Parcel)

• Peach Tree (16 Packets / Parcel)

• Pear Tree (16 Packets / Parcel)

• Orange Tree (16 Packets / Parcel)

• Date Palm (16 Packets / Parcel)

• Durian Tree (16 Packets / Parcel)

• Breadfruit Tree (16 Packets / Parcel)

Flowers:

• Cardinal Poppy (1 bag?)

• Nightsight Flower

Fungus:

• Psilocybin Mushroom

Cereals:

• Maize (200 Seeds / Parcel)

• Lowland Rice (200 Seeds / Pouch)

• Barley

Fibers:

• Flax (200 Seeds / Parcel)

• Cotton (200 Seeds / Parcel)

• Papyrus ( 100 Seeds / Pouch)

Vines:

• Red Grape Vine

• Ghost Ivy

Cactus:

• Agave Cactus

Tubers:

• Glowing Potato

• Potato (100 Seeds / Parcel)

Roots:

• Carrots (300 Seeds / Parcel)

• Lotus ( 100 Seeds / Pouch)

Berries:

• Starberry

4/6/2019 11:45:59 PM #1

Excellent questions and suggestions, Especially the hardiness rating map

4/7/2019 12:38:11 AM #2

Liking the OP because I’m wondering the same. I’ve purchased several of each tree bundle partly because I don’t know what grows where and partly because I don’t know yet where I want to settle.

4/7/2019 4:09:34 AM #3

i have attempted to make some maps for EU and NA-E, the accuracy may be debatable, but it's the best I could do with current info available.

Here for EU

and here for NA-E

Elyrians plants are more "hardy" than earth plants btw.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

4/7/2019 5:42:03 AM #4

While that may be accurate to a degree. Some of the kingdoms are rated as Mild/Cold, Tropical/Hot.

The current ratings don't account for the differences in soil properties, moisture, and seasonal changes.

For instance it is stated somewhere that K1 is Cold or Mild, but doesn't state which duchies are which. Permafrost exists in K1, so it also wouldn't be able to be cultivated.

Same with the Marshlands in the south. Per the "Wetland Farm Kit" promo item, some of the seeds could be planted in other types of biomes but they need to have marshy soil. Even with marshy soil, it may not work in other biomes due to temperature fluctuation.

4/7/2019 6:35:33 AM #5

Posted By Lodestone at 12:42 AM - Sun Apr 07 2019

While that may be accurate to a degree. Some of the kingdoms are rated as Mild/Cold, Tropical/Hot.

The current ratings don't account for the differences in soil properties, moisture, and seasonal changes.

For instance it is stated somewhere that K1 is Cold or Mild, but doesn't state which duchies are which. Permafrost exists in K1, so it also wouldn't be able to be cultivated.

Same with the Marshlands in the south. Per the "Wetland Farm Kit" promo item, some of the seeds could be planted in other types of biomes but they need to have marshy soil. Even with marshy soil, it may not work in other biomes due to temperature fluctuation.

I know, but it's the best info we currently have.

The truth will be somewhere in between. It won't be as extreme as the map you posted (which in itself is only part of the story, because the world is bigger than just the USA), but it's not as simple as the maps I made either.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

4/7/2019 9:39:54 AM #6

We'll probably need a map with more latitude range than the U.S. contiguous 48 states. There are no real tropical, taiga, or tundra areas in it.

4/7/2019 6:40:30 PM #7

Posted By zimmah at 11:35 PM - Sat Apr 06 2019

I know, but it's the best info we currently have.

The truth will be somewhere in between. It won't be as extreme as the map you posted (which in itself is only part of the story, because the world is bigger than just the USA), but it's not as simple as the maps I made either.

The world is not bigger than the USA. Not even close- the USA has around half a dozen national parks that are bigger than the land area of the starting continent. That’s not to say that the world isn’t big- it’s absolutely bigger than any game out there right now, but on a geographical scale it’s about the size of Hawaii Island. Hawaii is a great example, too, as it contains biomes that run from Tundra to Tropical to Semi-Arid Desert!

4/7/2019 9:17:44 PM #8

Love this topic, from my interpretation of the map it’s best to look at each duchy instead of a kingdom. Ecotones play a big role in what you could expect to grow

4/9/2019 11:56:33 AM #9

There is also the issue that during different years, the winters are much longer or shorter, like in Westeros.

4/9/2019 2:34:43 PM #10

So Snipehunter did a write-up (of sorts) on grapes but I think it pertains to this as well. Starting here and continuing to the next page. Based on what has been stated in the past: the intention for farming and gardening is that nearly every plant can grow anywhere but will have different properties or take more care to grow.

There may be more to the orchard packs from the last promo which is why I didn't pick one up lol! (One of only 2 farming/gardening promos I didn't pick up over the years!)

Hope it helps...