COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Penal System

I believe a penal system is absolutely necessary.

Here is 2 quotes before I begin. Keep these little nuggets in your head if you will as you read the rest of this post.

“It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it.”

― Aung San Suu Kyi

“Without strong watchdog institutions, impunity becomes the very foundation upon which systems of corruption are built. And if impunity is not demolished, all efforts to bring an end to corruption are in vain. "

 — Rigoberta Menchú, Nobel Prize laureate

These 2 quotes are why I feel a penal system is not only recommended, but actually, needed. Reading through several replies from topics around the forum I feel like I can present a possible solution.

Posted By Snipehunter at 7:13 PM - Tue Apr 23 2019

We talk about crime and prison a lot in the office, because it's both an unsettled question in the game, and a really interesting challenge as a designer to address.

While it's not guaranteed to be a part of our justice system at all, one idea that I found sort of attractive actually deals with the idea of spirit loss and leaving prison. I'll present it as a thought experiment for you all to consider:

You are a murderer, whether by grim dance of fortune or intentional malice, you have unjustly ended the life of another mann. While pondering your fate, you are apprehended, brought before a judge, tried, and convicted of the crime. Luckily(?) for you, rather than facing execution, you are sentenced to 25 years of incarceration and brought to the kingdom's prison dungeon. Guards march you through the a stone archway that curiously has no door or gate or bars. They remove your restraints, and turn and walk away. On the inside of the archway are etched the following:

"A sentence given is a sentence earned"

The other inmates explain your fate: You can remain in the prison, serve out your sentence, and perhaps even find early release through service. Or, you can simply walk out through the archway. If you do, every day you should have served is stripped from your spirit and your status as an exile is permanently cemented: You will be attacked on sight by any officer of the crown that sees you.

Do you walk away, or do you serve your time?

This made me really sit down and consider this question deeply. I found an answer myself which surprised me so I reached out to ask family members who are local police force and state police force. Again, they came to the conclusion I did. Walk away, take your chances.

So again, to dive deeper I reached out even further to a Judge. Her answer was surprisingly (or unsurprisingly) the same. Given the opportunity even herself would walk away and gamble the odds of exile. Though she explained why quite clearly. In a box your rewards and thus reformation are limited by the size of the box. Outside the box has no leash or bondage so the belief of rewards are greater. Thus, we seek the greater reward. We discussed and came to the conclusion that in order for a person to decide to stay the reward and reformation for remaining in the box must be something that can be advantageous when one is out of the box.

My solution:

The "Penal System":

All crimes need to be punishable to varying degrees and all would be decided by the governments of where they were committed.

For crimes specifically where the player needs to serve time in a jail. Rather then viewing as "locking the player away from the game", it should be used as an opportunity to allow the player to engage with the game in a different way. At this point a player should be immediately given 3 options.

• Option A: Permanent stripped time from your soul at a heavy cost but without being exiled.

• Option B: Time sentenced stripped from your soul and exiled.

• Option C: Serving the time.

Option C:

Player A steals from multiple citizens around the town and is finally caught and sent before the Judge. As this is Player A's 2nd or 3rd offense the Judge feels the only possible chance for reformation is to serve 3 Elyrian days in jail and a fine (This would be 8.4 real world hours). The fine would be handled by a contract. Player A is now in jail.

··As the player I think about how I'm going to manage my time in this place. I could simply log out and wait the 8.4 hours then return. (The time should be persistent even on logout.) Perhaps though a dialog box opens from an NPC/Player saying if I do Task 1 my time will reduce 15 minutes. Task 1 is to empty the latrines. (For simplicity at the start or launch this can be a player just goes to the latrine area hits the interact button and a 25 second progress bar appears. Costly animations can be added later.) Then I can move onto Task 2, Task 3, etc.. Until my time is up and I may leave. Tasks present the reward of reducing time so I can get outside the box.

While I'm completing said tasks running around I run into an NPC who says they have something to show me if I'm willing to learn. An opportunity for reward that will affect outside the box.

While running around completing tasks I decide that I no longer want these bonds and I'm simply going to leave. I take the exit and I am seen leaving then I forfeited option C and now given Option B in which my remaining time is stripped from my soul.

This would be the punishment for all non-serious crimes.

Serious and/or Heinous Crimes:

Serious crimes though will lack Option B and C. Straight execution should not exist in the game as a viable punishment and instead crimes that would warrant execution should be handled differently. I'll explain:

Player B commits a serious crime, Murders an individual (NPC or Player). As time on souls is traceable then a percentage of that time should be added to the murderers "crime sheet" and if/when the player is caught and sentenced then they get option A but with a twist. All the time they've accumulated is then stripped from their soul. If you have murdered enough and gained enough then yes, in a sense, it will be an execution as all your time will be used up. This way time loss is "equal" time served. I overall, after deep thought, think this is a viable solution to the execution problem. If you are arbitrarily murdering individuals then once caught your soul will feel the wrath of all the souls you've killed. But, if you get into a very heated dispute which accidentally/intentionally turns into a physical confrontation resulting in the death of the other party you will not immediately be executed and will simply serve a punishment equal to the loss of life.

Speaking of equal to the loss of life the percentage I spoke about earlier would be also increase according to the individual you killed. This would integrate CoE multiplier system for more famous and/or impactful characters. Rough explanation:

Kill the following and get the following amount removed from your soul:

• Normal Player: 10% of the player's who was killed remaining life.

• Elder or Village Council: 15% of the player's who was killed remaining life.

• Mayor/Town Council: 25% of the player's who was killed remaining life.

• Magistrate/City Council or Baron: 35% of the player's who was killed remaining life.

• Count/Countess or Sheriff: 45% of the player's who was killed remaining life.

• Duke/Duchess: 65% of the player's who was killed remaining life.

• King: 100% of the player's who was killed remaining life.

I do have a much more deeper explanations on several mechanics but this post is already long winded and I'd like to read the opinions of what the community and developers have to say.

6/9/2019 5:24:40 PM #1

I like how you are really trying to think about this in depth. Regardless if execution should or should not happen. I just believe the government should decide. Say your government wanted to do this exact system you laid out. Great. Then your government does that. If a different government disagrees with a part or this, or the entire thing. They should be able to have the same ability to make their own system. I don't think there will be or should be one way or looking at something such as crime, punishment, etc.

Say for example you do implement this system. Then overtime you notice trends or what not of where the system needs tinkered with. I'm sure you will want to tinker with it to make it better in your opinion. I just want you or whatever person is in power at the King, Duke, Count, etc. Level to have these abilities to customize their land way of doing things.

6/9/2019 10:36:07 PM #2

I do agree with you completely. There should be variations and the system is very capable of modifications. Though for structural support,the backbone, of the system which would be server side coded needs to be in place. As far as what crimes fall into which category I believe that is what can be handled at the kingdom level on down.

For Example:

What are Kingdom laws?

• Heinous Crimes
  • Taxation
  • Civil Rights
  • Patent and Copyright
These laws would apply to all governments from kingdom to settlement. The laws enacted by the kingdom should be broad enough that dukedom laws can encompass them. Think as them as guidelines for all the governments below. Enforcement and punishment would be handled by duchies.

What are Dukedom Laws?

• Family Matters
  • Real Estate
  • Welfare
  • Business

These laws would be more specific compared to kingdom laws with sentencing for violation. Dukedom laws will also have specific versions of the kingdom laws while following the kingdom laws for a guideline.

What are County Laws?

• Local Safety
  • Public Works

These would be even more specific laws that are made to suit each specific counties needs.

Kingdom Supremacy Law

*The Kingdom Laws will take precedence over all other laws created within it's borders. This law prohibits Duchies from interfering with Kingdom Laws and from assuming any power that are exclusively entrusted to the Kingdom, King and/or Queen.

*This Law does not allow the Kingdom to review or veto Dukedom Laws before they take affect.

However, this does not relinquished the Kingdom's right to challenge any law created within it's territory.*

6/10/2019 4:55:45 AM #3

The only aspect of these discussions that involve game engine mechanics are the prisons, which need to be able to automatically reduce lifespan for any convict that leaves before his time is up. All the other aspects seem to me to be decisions that can be left to the domain lords responsible for the laws of their domains.

Their is no real reason for a prison to have no walls or doors. Those are convenient separators that will function to inform inmates exactly where the boundaries of confinement are. Without them, it might be a little too easy to unintentionally walk away. Of course, the doors should not be locked, or if they are, every convict should have a key.

6/10/2019 11:51:29 AM #4

Posted By Poldano at 12:55 AM - Mon Jun 10 2019

The only aspect of these discussions that involve game engine mechanics are the prisons, which need to be able to automatically reduce lifespan for any convict that leaves before his time is up. All the other aspects seem to me to be decisions that can be left to the domain lords responsible for the laws of their domains.

Their is no real reason for a prison to have no walls or doors. Those are convenient separators that will function to inform inmates exactly where the boundaries of confinement are. Without them, it might be a little too easy to unintentionally walk away. Of course, the doors should not be locked, or if they are, every convict should have a key.

As I pointed out in my original post this suggestion would be the backbone of the system. The exact laws would be decided by the kingdom themselves. But, the system needs to be in place to support such laws else the laws serve no purpose. To leave everything to the players without a supporting system would inevitably end in chaos. There needs to be foundation for the system to be built upon.

Simply making a prison with nothing in it provides nothing to those that are in said prison. There has to be something there for them to learn and/or reform. Else, the punishment is nil, which means the crime is nil, and which infers the laws are nil. Everything must have a value.

6/10/2019 5:01:42 PM #5

So, for starters the two quotes don't really align with the points you're trying to make.

Secondly, the idea of jails as an in-game mechanic is a dangerous precedent to set. It's a powerful tool that can basically be used to temp-ban someone from the game. That can't be overstated- for playing the game the way it was intended to be played, players can temp-ban other players.

Your solution might solve the issue of players wreaking havoc with a ban system, but then it becomes the worst of both worlds. For players playing the game, we as nobles have the option to lock them up for hours at a time. For actual trolls, they can spend thirty seconds before clicking 'accept exile' and continuing on their merry way, since there's nothing to mechanically force a player off a kingdom's land.

And then the suggestion to 'work off' the prison time might be the worst one of the bunch- unlike the others, which are mechanically exclusive the the goals they are trying to accomplish, creating a system of 'jail slavery' is antithetical to the game itself. The developers have already said they don't want systems like 'press x to craft a dagger' in the game, why would it be any different for 'press y to clean latrines'. For another, the idea of forcing a player to do anything should be absolutely abhorrent for anyone interested in an open-world MMORPG where your choices matter.

6/10/2019 7:39:43 PM #6

Also, to add to whats already been said, people doing prison time are going to be connected to other people doing prison time that they wouldnt have otherwise come into contact with. Prison becomes Deviant University. It's a terrible idea and it will destroy this game.

You lose spirit when you get judgement put upon you and you lose skills based upon the amount of time you would have spent in prison. These are things that are not lost lightly. You give out the punishment side of your argument without all the unintended consequence side of it that you dont seem to understand.

6/11/2019 8:21:22 AM #7

OP, I'm going to reframe the quotes you've used here to outline the other side of the debate.

Posted By Nuzi at

“It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it.”

― Aung San Suu Kyi

At what point do we look at the fact that fear of the scourge of power is directly responsible for people wanting prisons in CoE? People are afraid the existing mechanics for punishment are insufficient to slow or stop active griefing. This fear is based in turn on how griefing is handled (poorly) in other MMOs and survival games. Yet the systems present in CoE's schematic aren't cookie-cutter copies of those failed measures; they more closely resemble what would happen in a real world scenario, sans the passage of time.

So why are those advocating prisons afraid that the currently slated measures won't be enough? The fear seems less to do with the scourge of power and more to do with the acquisition of power over the players that grief in other games. They fear the potential loss of that opportunity - the opportunity to have total control over what a person can and can't do if they decide to grief. And in a game which is intended to have a functional criminal element, and balanced crime and punishment systems, that kind of imbalance would screw the affected content for both parties. Griefers would eventually game the system, using it as a tool from which to grief innocents with impunity. Players who have done nothing wrong could be effectively framed into life sentences, destroying their game experience while the griefers running the system abuse others without the potential for punishment.

“Without strong watchdog institutions, impunity becomes the very foundation upon which systems of corruption are built. And if impunity is not demolished, all efforts to bring an end to corruption are in vain. "

 — Rigoberta Menchú, Nobel Prize laureate

The fear those of us who advocate the existing mechanics hold is that prisons can - and will - enable griefing, on a scale that is unprecedented in other multiplayer games. If you think existing MMOs are bad, try playing on a competitive official Ark server and getting yourself cuffed with an inventory full of stone as a fresh player. Then try to put your situation into the context of a player with hundreds of hours, a building, and a tribe dependent on your stat/skill build and contributions to continue functioning. Griefers wouldn't just be wrecking individuals; they'd be destroying entire families, trade guilds, and noble structures. The entire civil structure of the game could collapse if prisons are implemented.

I could (and have, in other threads) wax on endlessly on this topic, but I feel it's necessary to restate this: Every argument to be made for or against it prior to actual practical testing has already been covered and rehashed multiple times. The debate sits firmly grounded in speculation and useless agitation between sides until the game reaches alpha, and the existing mechanics can be tested for integrity and viability. Nothing is accomplished by resurrecting this topic except for giving it visibility. It's already firmly established as a bone of contention in the community, and it serves no purpose to continue arguing about it prior to alpha.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.