COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Interesting Guild Idea

The Conundrum

So, I'm not going to be doing this but it is an interesting approach to gameplay and I'm sure there will be people who will find it enjoyable to do.

But within CoE, we'll see countless unique experiences happen both on small and large scales. Now think about this, will we remember all the cool, suspenseful, or interesting events that go on months after they've happened? The answer is obvious, no.

The Solution

This is where perhaps a book keeper or History Keeper sort of order or guild could come in handy. They keep eyes out and learn about the world though joining group's discord and hearing stories to seeing things in game and watch / record events going on.

This would help world building extremely and I think add a sense of history to what we've done in the past, or at least give our past accomplishments, failures, or feats some well deserved spotlight in the form of stories or historical documents made by the members of the guild.

How would one go about doing this?

The Process

1. It will be important to have a small group within each kingdom though the server the group chooses is up to them as each server would kind of just been seen as perhaps an alternate Elyria timeline so to speak.

2. Have social connections to the kingdoms through discord and in game so that they can be up to date with events that are going on within each Kingdom as well as be available if someone feels that an event that is about to happen (for example a war) should be documented and a scribe can be there to catch it all.

3. Make use of either an in game library of sorts as well as perhaps have a website where people can look up all the different events by chronological order. Mostly will just be graphics and text so anyone can do it.

4. Have people in game spreading the news of events going on in the world sort of like Heralds.

Is this Necessary?

That's up to the community but frankly I feel like most of the community has a lot interest in and gets a lot of enjoyment out of immersion and what better way to get it than this?

This is just an idea, I already have an important guild to take care of but I hope perhaps I've inspired someone to do it and take up the mantle if it seems enjoyable and worthy to them.

How do you guys feel about such a thing?

Alt text - can be left blank

3/24/2017 9:58:40 AM #1

Something like the Elyria Herald ? ;)

Brash

3/24/2017 2:10:50 PM #2

^ I was just about to suggest a gossip rag or newspaper since those tend to keep archives of their stories.

3/24/2017 2:25:57 PM #3

I know that Nirath already has a newspaper in place, so it's just a case of having that be up kept.

But in terms of a Elyria wide newspaper, i would see that happen just because like IRL different people report stories in different ways. And i think depending what kingdom you hale from would determine the spin you put on a story.

3/24/2017 4:36:36 PM #4

I'm hoping there will be those who focus more on novelizing the events of the game for future players to read, much like the Elder Scrolls series has short narratives in books found throughout the world. I may do a bit of it myself to chronicle my own journeys.

Imagine, ten years from now, someone finding a dusty tome in a cave and sharing it online...and you realize, upon their reciting of the volume, that it's actually a first generation Elyrian's journal...

maybe even YOUR journal.

That's something to look forward to.

"It's not the scales, the wings, the teeth, or even the breath that set a dragon at the pinnacle of creation. It's not the strength or senses, nor the size of his hoard. It's something that a dragon knows that only comes with age and experience. It's a skill mortals never truly master."

"A dragon...knows how to wait."

3/25/2017 12:32:57 AM #5

Posted By Terrantal at 05:58 AM - Fri Mar 24 2017

Ok, that was awesome.

3/25/2017 12:55:31 AM #6

The only issue is that the Elyria Herald hasn't been posting for a very long time.

It'd be nice to see something pop up that would at least provide a sort of consistent material (even though it'd be fiction ) until launch just to demonstrate themselves to us and get some hype and attention.

3/25/2017 1:17:40 AM #7

I hope a decent amount of people play to make a story

3/25/2017 1:31:49 AM #8

Historians rejoice!

3/25/2017 1:36:54 AM #9

It does not sound like easy work and doing so take dedications.

The first question that comes to mind: why would players do that? What benefits could they get out of it?

Kingdoms/guilds may see this as an opportunity for advertising / promotion. Kingdoms may also see this as a way to affect the morale/thoughts of the players.

This means kingdoms have the biggest incentive to maintain such records. Unfortunately, due to their own interest, they are very likely to distort the truth.

Moreover, kingdoms have the power to drive other players away from these activities. Just think about it, a big part of these events will take place within the top management of kingdoms, and if they choose not to give this info out, people outside their circle can hardly know the details. So record keepers support by the political power will always have more info than the independent ones. The insiders will always be able to sugar coat / distort any events before publicizing.

Seems like we can hardly have the truth be recorded unless supported by game mechanics. Or all players are smart enough to know when truth are distorted and are willing to force the political power to give out the true stories, which is very very unlikely.

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

3/25/2017 1:57:56 AM #10

I think this is an absolutely wonderful idea.

3/26/2017 12:53:18 AM #11

Posted By Roarer at 9:36 PM - Fri Mar 24 2017

It does not sound like easy work and doing so take dedications.

The first question that comes to mind: why would players do that? What benefits could they get out of it?

Kingdoms/guilds may see this as an opportunity for advertising / promotion. Kingdoms may also see this as a way to affect the morale/thoughts of the players.

This means kingdoms have the biggest incentive to maintain such records. Unfortunately, due to their own interest, they are very likely to distort the truth.

Moreover, kingdoms have the power to drive other players away from these activities. Just think about it, a big part of these events will take place within the top management of kingdoms, and if they choose not to give this info out, people outside their circle can hardly know the details. So record keepers support by the political power will always have more info than the independent ones. The insiders will always be able to sugar coat / distort any events before publicizing.

Seems like we can hardly have the truth be recorded unless supported by game mechanics. Or all players are smart enough to know when truth are distorted and are willing to force the political power to give out the true stories, which is very very unlikely.

The fact that kingdoms would indeed have a bias would mean that either there would have to be multiple sides to tell the same story (different branches from different kingdoms) or one big faction that is not affiliated with any of the kingdoms or at least hasn't pledged any sort of allegiance to one.

Its a really tricky concept but I'm sure there are people who are very adamant about writing and love doing it thus could find enjoyment out of both the game and a passion for writing. Is it perfect, not at all and it would be extremely tricky, but with the right group of people it could seriously turn out to be something highly enjoyed by everyone in the community. Not to mention with the help of the in game Akashic Records if they give a little bit of detail. Who knows. The game is quite far away from release but its all just fun speculation at this point.

Still, the idea thrills me.

3/26/2017 3:08:10 AM #12

The ones that are adamant are probably the ones hoping for some kind of income from streaming or blogging. Probably wont stay unbias though as they would want to promote themselves

3/26/2017 3:18:20 AM #13

Posted By Melbell at 08:53 AM - Sun Mar 26 2017

The fact that kingdoms would indeed have a bias would mean that either there would have to be multiple sides to tell the same story (different branches from different kingdoms) or one big faction that is not affiliated with any of the kingdoms or at least hasn't pledged any sort of allegiance to one.

Its a really tricky concept but I'm sure there are people who are very adamant about writing and love doing it thus could find enjoyment out of both the game and a passion for writing. Is it perfect, not at all and it would be extremely tricky, but with the right group of people it could seriously turn out to be something highly enjoyed by everyone in the community. Not to mention with the help of the in game Akashic Records if they give a little bit of detail. Who knows. The game is quite far away from release but its all just fun speculation at this point.

Still, the idea thrills me.

Not trying to shoot down your idea at all. Just predicting what will happen with the given information at hand, which may not be what the players are expecting. I do not believe any independent guild can survive without affiliating to a kingdom because of reasons listed in my previous post. Still, it may not be a bad thing.

As the ultimate truth can never be fully laid out, what we can do best, is piecing information from multiple contradicting sources . Adding our own imagination, every player may have a slightly different picture on what had happened.

The lack of a consent on what happened may not match the OP's vision for the record keeping guild, but I personally think it is good for the game in the grand scheme of thing.

Under this circumstance, more players are required to maintain records. Different kingdoms are more likely to hire their own record keepers when they see the benefit it brings to the table. The more perspectives we have on the same event, the clearer the picture would be (though some of them omitted/ change important details, and some made up details).

The lack of consent also allows players to take different stances after an event. Believing in their own version of story, provide opportunities for more future conflicts / players generated contents.

All of this only stands when there are multiple kingdoms engaging in such activities. Therefore, I believe it is important to keep multiple kingdoms alive throughout the game for better players generated contents XD

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

3/26/2017 3:58:00 AM #14

"This is where perhaps a book keeper or History Keeper sort of order or guild could come in handy."

I'm not saying that a guild couldn't take this on themselves. But personally I would assume that in most cities the rulers would commission a library, and will have a staff of scribes to scout and transcribe texts from all over. Amongst these texts would be pieces of history written by either those that have lived through it (such as in biography form), or have researched it via interviewing those that have and referencing those other texts already on the subject.

Posted By Terrantal at 7:58 PM - Fri Mar 24 2017

When was the last time the Herald was even updated? As far as I can see the last post was nine months ago. There have been plenty of goings on in the community since then to write upon. I was under the impression it was abandoned.

Imgur Imgur