COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
First person option

So after rewatching some videos on CoE, I started thinking "man it would be great if I could get a close up on some of the detail in the models" and then I realized I haven't seen any First person footage of CoE.

So naturally I turn to you all, is there an option to go into the first person point of view?

It would be nice if in first person poorly made disguises would be made more distinguished or something of the like. Maybe having all the minute details only be visually decernable in a first person mode.

UDL

7/27/2017 5:31:23 AM #1

Not sure, but I would play in first person if it is an option.

Link to my story

7/27/2017 5:42:34 AM #2

Last I heard, which was ages back. There was meant to be a first person view. Yet the bigger problem was third person view can naturally see more, like around corners and such. No idea if that has been changed. I would rather first person view, can get into games so much easier. Love the witcher, but just from the view I'm not immersion as much as other RPGs.

7/27/2017 5:45:30 AM #3

It's been confirmed in the past, but I'm wondering if it'll be legit first person, or pointless first person like you see in a lot of MMOs, as well as GTA V. I'm referring to a first person that's basically just third person zoomed in through your model.

7/27/2017 5:58:32 AM #4

The did confirm you would be able to switch between first and third at your leisure; but to my knowledge they haven't shown any first person example yet.

and I'm to lazy to track down the quote.

7/27/2017 8:25:12 AM #5

Last I heard first person is an option, but 3rd person will have its advantages for obvious reasons. I disagree with first person being more immersive, but it's an argument I've already had and don't really feel like getting into it.

This game will never go first person only. Caspian gets motion sickness, and I doubt his dream game was one that he couldn't play :P. People who want to play first person will have to deal with some disadvantages.

Merchants Beware of Ashy Sails..

7/27/2017 11:46:29 AM #6

I loathe first person. If the option is there for people that is fine but I prefer my games in 3rd person they are more immersive for me that way. I also like to see how my avatar changes over time with experience and gear.

7/27/2017 1:08:45 PM #7

Unless it's changed first person is an option. In addition the advantages of 3rd person can be mitigated, camera won't rotate behind you without your charater actually turning around ect.

Per older Caspian post (still accurate afaik)

1st Person is an option. It's not a single link. It's different discussion on seeing behind you vs. seeing around corners.

Regarding seeing behind you, even the third person camera is close enough to make it impossible to get much warning. And currently, the camera prevents you from rotating behind you. First your head turns, and then your body if you rotate the camera.

Next, we added in a mechanic for 1st person that allows it to look around corners without being seen to counteract the benefit 3rd person generally has here.

Previous discussion on the matter.

7/27/2017 1:43:48 PM #8

In Elder scrolls online First person option is made very well. I always play the game in first person and I feel no disadvantages respect third person view.

7/27/2017 2:39:51 PM #9

I too get motion sickness when playing in first peson (same goes for my sister), mostly in older games but also a lot from the motion blurring in new ones, so I am happy CoE will be in 3:rd person.

Naturally I do not mind there being an option to go into first person, the more people enoying prefered view the better, as long as I do not need to feel i'll when moving around ingame I am happy.

7/28/2017 2:12:38 AM #10

Based on what Caspian said in the post linked by Malias, it seems like there will be certain situations that will make 1PV better than 3PV which would be amazing!

So he confirmed mechanics for looking around walls without being seen, what other possible mechanics do you think could be possible as well?

Maybe you'd get a bonus to some bardic skills for determining if someone is lying to you or if a document if faked/forged while in first person since you're "taking a close look" at the problem.

UDL

7/28/2017 3:02:13 AM #11

As far as looking around walls without being seen, I still think CoE should copy a system that War Thunder uses, so things your character shouldn't be able to see from their perspective don't render at all for you.

7/28/2017 5:26:40 AM #12

If the game were first person only it would make COE The best MMO ever !

1/11/2018 8:27:27 PM #13

Posted By Grapefruitkush at 12:26 AM - Fri Jul 28 2017

If the game were first person only it would make COE The best MMO ever !

If they could get it right and let you see your own body (hands, arms, legs, feet) then, ya.

1/11/2018 8:32:23 PM #14

Posted By karat76 at 07:46 AM - Thu Jul 27 2017

I loathe first person. If the option is there for people that is fine but I prefer my games in 3rd person they are more immersive for me that way. I also like to see how my avatar changes over time with experience and gear.

What he said. I may use first person to see some detail now and then, but I play in 3rd person almost exclusively.

1/12/2018 7:11:51 AM #15

Im a massive fan of fire person - but only in games that I feel are right for it! - I never expected to enjoy 3rd person, but the hours I put into SWG and LOTRO would say different. Im more then happy with 3rd person for this game.

Aiming to play on the EU server.

If you live by the sword you will die by the sword.

If you are a UK player based in the Southwest be good to hear from you - we need to form friends now.