COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
State of Elyria: State of the Studio

Hail Elyrians,

With the beginning of a new year, and with our experiences interacting with publishers and investors in 2017, we've been evaluating our funding and staffing needs going forward.

Both we at the studio, and the community at large, have a strong desire to maintain creative control of Chronicles of Elyria, as can be seen from the posts here and here. There's also been discussion during Q&As and on Discord about ways we could attract publishers while still keeping true to our values such as the thread here.

Soulbound Studios is a community-centric development studio. We rely on player feedback to help shape the future of the game, and we've relied on crowdfunding to get us this far. In an effort to make rapid progress on the game we know will redefine the MMORPG genre, we began pitching our game to publishers and investors throughout last year. We knew with the additional funding a publisher could provide, we would be able to get to market quicker than we had previously announced. However, as we reached the end of 2017 it became clear publishers were disinclined to take the risk on an innovative game such as Chronicles of Elyria without changing our intended vision. Some publishers wanted micro-transactions, loot crates, or other features that prioritize revenue over player experience. None of these options are in the best interest of our vision or players.

From the end of 2016 to the end of 2017 we nearly doubled in staff, however that team size was never intended to be sustainable without the long-term aid of a publisher or investor. In their absence, and as a result of our change in focus back to crowdfunding, we adjusted our resources accordingly so as to be sustainable solely through sales from our online store. Unfortunately this meant parting ways with a few of our team members. This was painful for all of us as we had developed a close bond with everyone in the studio, but it was a necessary action to move forward at the velocity and cost we need to succeed.

In regards to studio finances, we are now able to sustain development at our current size without the need for a publisher or investor. We plan on continuing crowdfunding for the foreseeable future so that we can maintain creative control of the game, and ultimately deliver the promise of Chronicles of Elyria.

Pledged to the continued development of the Soulborn Engine and the Chronicles of Elyria,

Caspian

1/17/2018 6:46:34 AM #31

I feel for those who were let go, and for the studio for needing to do it. This cannot have been an easy decision to make for anyone involved.

But this choice also reaffirms to me that the studio is fully committed to keeping the game as untainted as possible by the rot that's largely destroyed the MMO/online multiplayer genre. Hard as this decision was, I feel it was the right one to make. You've proven both your quality of character and your commitment to the dream you set out to realise.

This more than anything says to me that the game will make it to launch. Honestly, even if the studio can finish the game with its current resources without needing a publisher, I hope that potential private investors will take note of the integrity and transparency of this company and invest in their vision. Of all the MMOs that have hit the market with potentially innovative ideas, this is the one that will most deserve a good return if things continue on their current track.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

1/17/2018 6:54:08 AM #32

It's a shame that there is no fucking publisher who want to take a risk to probaly get the gaming industrie to a new standard. I hope that there will be enough ressources to finish CoE.

(Unfortunally, I have not won a big jackpot yet, otherwise I probaly would take that risk to make this awesome game)

1/17/2018 7:20:09 AM #33

Sucks that you had to let people go, but it was obviously better than compromising your vision for the game to appease some greedy publisher. Today's industry is really in a sad state, but that's all the more reason to support this game. Hopefully the funding we got together will keep you guys afloat until better arrangements can be made. Good luck Soulbound, we're rooting for you!

1/17/2018 7:20:55 AM #34

Is there an option for us to help out SBS, with buying stock in the company, that could earn us bragging rights as maybe the chance at some return on our investment later?

This is my circus, those are my lions, so says the flying monkey. Count in the Kingdom of Riftwood NA-W. Friend code A188BA

1/17/2018 7:38:16 AM #35

Posted By Swordwalker at 07:20 AM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Is there an option for us to help out SBS, with buying stock in the company, that could earn us bragging rights as maybe the chance at some return on our investment later?

There is, its called buying titles. lol

Upvoting and downvoting indiscriminately

1/17/2018 7:48:29 AM #36

Buying into the game is a fun option with returns being in the game only,

Buying into the company has long term benefits, for both SBS and others as investors.

This is my circus, those are my lions, so says the flying monkey. Count in the Kingdom of Riftwood NA-W. Friend code A188BA

1/17/2018 7:59:53 AM #37

How much additional money are we talking about?

Here's my thought: If specifically themed RL merchandise were available from the store, at relatively outrageous prices, how many of us would be willing to buy it?

The specific theme I'm currently thinking about is T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc., with coats of arms and family names imprinted on them, together with the CoE name, with prices around double that typical of sports-team merchandise. Realize that these would be personalized, hence a bit more expensive to produce than sports-team merchandise, but I think reasonably affordable to make with current graphics technology.

1/17/2018 8:01:26 AM #38

Publishers never look at the big picture they just want a quick return on their investment. They need to realize those cookie cutter games quickly die and there would be more money for them in the long run by making games that last for years. Thank you for your integrity Caspian and not selling out to greedy publishers. even though it hurts to lose some of the team I'm sure they understand and want you to succeed in creating your dream. Perhaps when the games is finished and the money starts rolling in you can bring some of them back.

1/17/2018 9:13:54 AM #39

While this seems worrying at first, financial struggle surely is part of the road to a finished game. A friend of mine is working in the industry and before the approach of the release of their most recent game he sometimes went months without pay, just living off of saves. I guess you could say the "dream of a finished game" kept him going.

I wish you guys all the best in the road ahead. Its going to be rough, people are going to moan about changes like this, but in the end - having a MMO (or actually, any game) release without lootboxes and microtransactions is what I would consider revolutionary at this time.

1/17/2018 9:18:59 AM #40

JUH JUH

• Proprietor • Programmer • Gamer • PsalmFirewall • NA-W • Friend Code: 62E37D •

1/17/2018 9:47:38 AM #41

Its good that we are having honest and reasonable conversations about this. I accept the facts and that this is the best option for a none ideal situation. I will happily commit more to COE in the future. Ideally via a subscription model.

(If not i am waiting till after settlement selection so i can tailor my purchases appropriately... horses in a swamp.... bad idea)

1/17/2018 9:48:12 AM #42

Posted By Swordwalker at 07:48 AM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Buying into the game is a fun option with returns being in the game only,

Buying into the company has long term benefits, for both SBS and others as investors.

selling public stock in the company is not really something that would benefit them right now. imagine in the insane hypothetical that they did do that and any large investor or substantial amount of stock was sold due to a "hitch in development". SBS would be ruined if they were at the immediate mercy of knee jerk reaction of stock holders.

The ideas of some sort of merch shop is a much better idea. I know I would buy lots of merch if they started doing that.

I think SBS will do just fine without having to sell their company to raise money. Crowd funding and merch store seem to be the best ideas at this time. On top of influential community members bringing in more people.

Upvoting and downvoting indiscriminately

1/17/2018 10:24:17 AM #43

This is a good decision I think. Slightly longer development time in exchange for holding true to the vision of the game and not bowing to cheap marketing and financial tactics. Sad to let good team members go though.

I do like the suggestion of Tshirts and other odds and ends to help you raise a bit more money.

1/17/2018 10:27:03 AM #44

Never fear, I plan on winning lotto tonight, so I shall just write you a big fat cheque!!

1/17/2018 11:32:06 AM #45

Not the best of news but I still have faith in what you're doing. Just keep up the great work and involve the community. We'll support you in any way we're able to.