COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
perma death in deep sea

i was wondering once ships have been research and another continent is found and travel between the two becomes common will the perma death still apply because if so that means that a ship full of farmers going to the new continent is going to risk perma death and they aren't doing anything brave

Edit: i posted this to start a discussion i for one am in favor of perma death in the ocean

2/27/2017 7:51:15 PM #1

Yeah, it will. And the farmers are still doing something brave by crossing the ocean.

2/27/2017 7:58:51 PM #2

They are brave pioneers, on the forefront of Mann's exploration of the world! Its a great risk for great rewards!

2/27/2017 8:04:37 PM #3

i was talking about when it becomes a common thing like after a year of the place being known and it already being explored

but i see where your coming from by saying its brave crossing i was just wondering if people think it should have to be

2/27/2017 9:14:36 PM #4

Posted By D_Ramx at 2:04 PM - Mon Feb 27 2017

i was talking about when it becomes a common thing like after a year of the place being known and it already being explored

but i see where your coming from by saying its brave crossing i was just wondering if people think it should have to be

Yes.

The point of CoE is risk versus reward.

You move to a new land you could find lots more opportunity like cheap land or exotic foodstuffs that can be sold at a premium back home. Wouldn't fit with the ideal of CoE to allow someone to profit without some risk.

To be honest I hope the expand the instant perma-death to include other harsh environments like deep desert, high mountains (like Everest and dying from lack of oxygen) or frozen tundra and slipping beneath the ice.

Being a pioneer should be dangerous and exciting.

Make MMOs great again and bring back actual death penalties!!

2/27/2017 10:24:12 PM #5

I agree with the OP even though I think you're analogy is poor.

Lets take fishing instead. Fishing is a simple gathering profession. It should not reach the height of risk as someone who is trying to discover new land. In real life you need to go deeper into the ocean to get different fish. Want Salmon? You don't need to go far. Need Tuna? That's gonna be much farther out to sea.

I don't see why any fisherman is going to risk perma death in order to get a good catch of Tuna. And lets really unpack how big this penalty could be.

You're out on the ocean a storm hits, and sinks your ship. So now you're telling me I lose my ship, my spark, my fish i just caught.

Every time this subject is brought up people say "high risk, high reward" but how much is a boat full of tuna really worth? Is that really worth the risk? Is Tuna worth the same as gold? A bandit could get caught murdering a family of 4 and robbing them clean, and that would be nothing compared to being a fisherman whose ship sinks.

Then on top of that what about pirates? If you sink a merchant ship and get caught does that mean you should too receive a perma death? If there isn't a greater penalty for the person committing the crime then the person who's doing their job is at a huge disadvantage. Which will make the sea a total shit show.

I understand going out into unknown water being a huge risk, or being on a boat with full steel plate. But I think there are other ways to make sure that being on the sea includes a higher risk without it being completely game breaking.

Merchants Beware of Ashy Sails..

2/27/2017 10:48:07 PM #6

@AshleyLarry

IF tuna fishing is a thing and requires you to go into the deep see in CoE (different world maybe tuna like fresh shallow water in CoE) then you need to price your catch accordingly. If you cannot sell your catch at a price that will cover your perceived risk then why fish for tuna?

If the risk is disproportionate to the reward people will not pursue that activity and at that point SBS will need to revisit the risk associated with it.

If tuna is risky to catch I would assume the recipe that uses it would be proportionately more valuable allowing crafters to pay more for the raw ingredients.

2/27/2017 10:54:50 PM #7

I don't support expanding perma death to various other areas, because I love to explore. I don't however have a bunch of cash (to waste on nothing).

If exploring the mountains perma kills me one time, I maybe go to second soul, but if it kills me second time, I will say good bye to the game.

Wasting 30$ each time your character has misfortune to perma die is no idea of fun to me and I simply could not afford it.

Now if devs want to slaughter their game population by perma killing them often, they can be my guests, but in that case I will not be playing.

This is the reason I haven't bought a package yet. I want to see how far this perma death idea develops. When it's closer to exposition release hopefully it will be more clear and then I can decide.

Game should be fun and challenging, however it should NEVER be (a real cash) money drain caused by mistakes in game play.

When I put money into a game I want to see this money go to something that I gain. When game starts to take my money simply for mistakes I make (or unfortunate accidents happening to character) then I'm out.

2/28/2017 12:01:11 AM #8

So SBS is actually toying with the idea of permadeath? That, in my opinion is extremely counter-intuitive. I can understand permadeath in a subscription-based game, but implementing any sort of permadeath in a game where you literally have to purchase each life is ridiculous. I might be able to understand it implemented upon griefers/criminals with an outstanding level of infamy, but even then, that's still pretty messed up.

2/28/2017 12:23:28 AM #9

It would make sense to put in some form of "washed ashore" mechanic so that fishermen and the like don't risk $30 for some trout.

@Onegunholiday They are not "toying with the idea" of perma-death, It's been a core component of the game's design since day one.

2/28/2017 12:28:12 AM #10

Posted By Malkraz at 7:23 PM - Mon Feb 27 2017

It would make sense to put in some form of "washed ashore" mechanic so that fishermen and the like don't risk $30 for some trout.

@Onegunholiday They are not "toying with the idea" of perma-death, It's been a core component of the game's design since day one.

I know that. Characters eventually age and perma-die. I'm talking about the idea of permadeath for trekking into deep sea and such.

2/28/2017 12:41:28 AM #11

As others have said, it creates a situation of risk-reward that other games don't really have. You're putting something tangible on the line and only the bravest (or dumbest) will attempt to achieve something that could produce great reward.

2/28/2017 12:42:17 AM #12

Posted By onegunholiday at 6:28 PM - Mon Feb 27 2017

Posted By Malkraz at 7:23 PM - Mon Feb 27 2017

I know that. Characters eventually age and perma-die. I'm talking about the idea of permadeath for trekking into deep sea and such.

Deep sea perma death has been around since day 1 as well. It's not new.

2/28/2017 12:49:51 AM #13

If you are a sushi lover then you know that tuna is worth the risk :)

Seriously though, I think that most actions will have some form of risk to them - being at sea is just a large risk overall. I believe perma-death was from deep water, so maybe fishing will be just in the shallower regions? I cannot see some poor fisherman losing a spark because their boat was lost.

I can see the boat being lost in a storm though, if you weren't smart enough to come in before it hit you.

2/28/2017 12:53:38 AM #14

The thing is, most players who actively post in this forum are higher tier players. Players who payed up to 10,000$ for their character and to them 30$ probably doesn't mean much and they will support perma death idea (even will support expanding it).

But what about huge amount of players (that will play base packages because they can not afford more expensive ones) that even complained about standard reducing soul time upon deaths, and was relieved to hear its time limit how often you can get this reduction.

I'm sure they are not thrilled by perma death idea. Specially if it would be more common then just in the ocean.

You may put minus on my post, but be sure, perma death mechanic (costing you 30$ each time) IS pushing a LOT of players away from the game. How many people you think are willing to spend 30$ each time they die?

It's a fact that if this perma death idea is not constrained, developers will be significantly reducing game population, and for this all players will suffer (even those willing to throw away 30$ many times over) for the simple fact of game having much lower population than it could of have had.

2/28/2017 12:58:15 AM #15

@Gothix Don't do things that will kill you permanently, then. Reward isn't really reward if there's no risk and everybody can achieve it.