COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Tribal Relationships

Hi, everyone! I'm sure all of you are following the new Tribe info dumps closely, and some of you may have noticed that I've been working on creating graphics to help visualize the friendships and rivalries that exist between the twelve Tribes. I've been posting them in the past few Tribe threads, but I decided that it's worth having a dedicated thread to discuss how the tribes view each other, since it will presumably play a considerable role in in-game diplomacy.

Tribal Relationships

Tribal Relationships (EDIT: Updated to v4)

Observations

• Of the eight starting tribes, all eight are either friends or enemies with their closest neighbors.
  • The Polar and Temperate regions tend to get along well with their neighbors, and, with the exception of the Kypiq, actually get along great in general.
  • On the other hand, the Tropical and Equatorial regions seem to be made up of two discrete alliances pitted against each other; the Two-fold Queen tribes (The Waerd and the Dras) vs. the To'resk and Janoa. All four of these tribes are enemies with the two from the opposite alliance.
  • The two Virtori Tribes (Hrothi and Neran) are allies, as are the two TFQ tribes (The Waerd and Dras,) but surprisingly the Faedin don't get along well. The Kypiq are rivals with both other Faedin Tribes (Brudvir and Janoa,) and the Brudvir and Janoa have no relationship with each other at all.

Awards

• The Homecoming King award goes to the Neran, who are actively liked by a stunning five out of the other seven tribes.
  • The Most Loathed award, on the other hand, is a three-way tie! The Kypiq, Janoa, and Dras are all disliked by three of the other seven tribes, while only being liked by one.
  • The Just Leave Me Alone award goes to the Hrothi, who have three unreciprocated rivalries (with the Kypiq, Dras, and The Waerd). Two out of these three tribes actually like them in return!
  • If you have any ideas for other awards, let me know :P

So what do you guys think about how the politics of Elyria are shaping up? I'm interested to hear what you all think! :D

6/19/2017 9:53:03 AM #1

Amazing work, thank you so much. I can see this becoming an absolutely essential, go-to graphic :)

All of your observations seem to be spot on. Have you considered adding some sort of overlay or additional indicator for religion? The relationships between tribes of the same religion so far seem to be quite interesting!

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

6/19/2017 10:02:22 AM #2

Seriously. You're amazing. :D

kypiq

6/19/2017 10:05:10 AM #3

Great work, can't wait to see graph slowly filled.

6/19/2017 10:16:48 AM #4

great job. can't wait to see what develops next

6/19/2017 10:34:21 AM #5

Posted By Caelestius at 04:53 AM - Mon Jun 19 2017

Have you considered adding some sort of overlay or additional indicator for religion? The relationships between tribes of the same religion so far seem to be quite interesting!

I've actually wanted to do that since the beginning, but I haven't quite come up with a good way to represent it. I thought about adding little icons next to each circle, but I don't really know what imagery would be recognizable, especially at such a tiny scale. Color-coding isn't really a great option since I'm already using color-coding for the climate regions... I'll give it some more thought and see what I come up with.

6/19/2017 10:50:31 AM #6

Posted By Imshada at 11:34 AM - Mon Jun 19 2017

Posted By Caelestius at 04:53 AM - Mon Jun 19 2017

Have you considered adding some sort of overlay or additional indicator for religion? The relationships between tribes of the same religion so far seem to be quite interesting!

I've actually wanted to do that since the beginning, but I haven't quite come up with a good way to represent it. I thought about adding little icons next to each circle, but I don't really know what imagery would be recognizable, especially at such a tiny scale. Color-coding isn't really a great option since I'm already using color-coding for the climate regions... I'll give it some more thought and see what I come up with.

I don't think colour-coding is such a bad idea! How about a border around the edge of each icon, colour coded per religion? That would make it very easy to see to which religion each tribe belongs, while not being obstructive or distracting.

6/19/2017 11:03:40 AM #7

Looks great Imshada. For the religion, a couple ideas would be to use a border, or to layer a recognizable shape behind, leaving space if you wanted to add text. Assume neither would be distracting.

6/19/2017 11:43:13 AM #8

I decided to go with tiny symbols next to the Tribes' names, hopefully they're intuitive and not too hard to see at that size.

6/19/2017 2:23:27 PM #9

Posted By Imshada at 6/19/2017 11:43:13 AM

I decided to go with tiny symbols next to the Tribes' names, hopefully they're intuitive and not too hard to see at that size.

Very intuitive, not too hard to see, and unobtrusive. Great addition.

6/19/2017 3:37:24 PM #10

I really like v3 keep up the good work!

6/19/2017 3:40:05 PM #11

Amazing work, thank you for spending the time...

6/19/2017 6:10:03 PM #12

This really helps me understand the intertribal relationships way better than reading every one of those lengthy write-ups.

6/19/2017 6:32:41 PM #13

Is it possible to put legend in a corner for the religion icon?

Great work though.

Really looking forward to the complete picture beside a map to see what is only theory and long term to what is possible border tensions at least between NPCs

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

6/19/2017 6:46:14 PM #14

Awesome Job Imshada!

6/19/2017 6:50:53 PM #15

Excellent work, I look forward to improved versions. I suspect in the long run that a circular format isn't going to be ideal though as the known contacts between tribes are very geography limited. The full set of relationships will be needed before this can be figured out.

Seneschal for the Hrothi County of Iskar, Recruiter for the Duchy of Aritaur

https://discord.gg/qRQ3Zj6