COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
The uther Pendragon syndrome

As i was replying to an other thread i realized that lots of us, ok, I, but i think i'm not the only one, made a mistake,

A mistake driven by our experiences in other MMOs and RPG games,a mistake that lead us to give a very limited meaning to : "Chronicles of Elyria - Epic Story MMORPG with Aging & Death".

A mistake that i will call the Uther Pendragon syndrome, where we embraced the idea to age and die and as such to play our bloodline, several characters of our family writing generations after generation the grand story of our family, but where we all decided to start with THE character,

Why would have we do otherwise ? We only been playing one character for as long as we remember, we either had or devised a background story for his past and were playing his life or part of it, the few of us that experienced the passing of time in a campaign eventually played the next generation,

So naturally, arriving to CoE we did the same thing, we thought our character, Arthur, we dreamed of plans and history for him and we envisioned the next generations, where we'd like the bloodline to go. But we all forgotten that Arthur is not the starting point of the story, the story starts with Uther. OK fine, i'll do just as always i'll make up a background story....

BUT in CoE you do not make up stories, you play them, you can not pretend your father was Uther, it has to be Uther... Argh am i doomed ? can't i play what i want ? Damn tribes, cursed domain selection that is going to force me to choose, why can't i do as i have always done and pretend what i want and do as i please ?

Because it is CoE and CoE is nothing like you ever done before. You are not doomed, the tribes do not limit you, you do not have to choose , you only have to think time differently:

Our character, the one we envisioned, the one that is our hero, that one do not need to be the first one, to play Arthur, we have to play Uther.

7/19/2017 12:05:01 PM #1

Well we really don't have to play KoE, so people could start their first character within expo/launch. Or people could just simply not want to play it. I never thought of it anything more than a mini game, not building a character. Mostly used if you want to expand your borders, set yourself up. Or take the risk and you may lose some ground as well.

7/19/2017 12:14:29 PM #2

There is skill ramping in this game. You don't have to pay KoE or ElyriaMUD but there will definitely be advantage to doing so.

7/19/2017 12:27:21 PM #3

Ah. I thought of this when making my settlement recruitment post. In KoE I'll be playing my father Ruben and at Exposition I'll be playing Balem, my protagonist.

Somehow I ended up with Hrothi\Dwaven sounding names, that part was fluke.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

7/19/2017 12:53:23 PM #4

Posted By Gunnlang at 2:05 PM - Wed Jul 19 2017

Well we really don't have to play KoE, so people could start their first character within expo/launch. Or people could just simply not want to play it. I never thought of it anything more than a mini game, not building a character. Mostly used if you want to expand your borders, set yourself up. Or take the risk and you may lose some ground as well.

See, that is exactly what i'm talking about, i mentioned KoE only to be inclusive of everything, but the subject is not KoE at all, it is from your first character whenever that character happens.

The thing is we always consider our first character as our hero, the one where all has to start, but that is not an obligation.

To use the exemple of ZeroCool, the father of his "main" character Balem will be Ruben and Ruben will exist during KoE, but it also could have been that Ruben would be ZeroCool 's first character at exposition and that his "main" character Balem would only arrive with the second generation.

Why ? i do not know, but reasons are legion, sorry if that is totally out of your story plan ZeroCool but i'm going to use Ruben and Balem.

Let say that Balem is supposed to be a Neran but ZeroCool's kingdom selected Brudvir/Hrothi, as ZeroCool want to stay with his community he goes along, rank 7 is mayor ? so his first character will have to be Hrothi, crap, that was not the plan at all, ok, never mind, his first character will be that Hrothi mayor, he'll manage to have a child with a Neran lady, that child will be Ruben, and Ruben will be the father of an even more Neran character, Balem, here enters the "main" character of ZeroCool, Balem, tailored just as he wanted and with a vivid history, just needed to think of it as one of the characters in the CoE time line, just not the first one.

Thank you and sorry for Ruben and Balem ZeroCool.

yes KoE is not mandatory, even exposition is not mandatory, lots of players will not take part in exposition, it does not change the thing, that we keep thinking our first character as our"main" character and it does not need to be that way.

7/19/2017 1:16:14 PM #5

Interesting view. However because I don't know certain things like

1. What race I will be.

2. If I want to keep my count title or if I can.

3. Unknowns about professions.

4. Unknowns I haven't even thought of yet.

I will not have a main. My main will be the house of Malais and each character I create will simply be a single part of that organism that is Malais. Which I think is your point? To me it is way to early to develop any kind of head cannon as to what I will or won't be. I think that will start to take shape during KoE when I see the actual world and start naming things that come with being a count. Even then over the course of the story my Uther may lose his title then someone else before my Arthur can even be born.

SBS and COE will determine my story best I can do is not get overly attached to any 1 character and simply enjoy the ride of my House.

7/19/2017 1:29:10 PM #6

i think at least regarding title pledges the issues of tribe are a little more complicated then this.

me wanting to be naren has nothing to do with my personal chr and every thing to do with the way that tribe farms. so me going a brudvir then breeding into naren will do jack all for my countys abilty to farm.

1 naren dose not make a farming comunity... and if i am a kypiq comunity then i cant realy do meat based food production which is also my aim.

with just breeding cattle and useing them for food i cam make milk, beef, glue and leather. but as a kypiq i would be wasteing the meat as they dont eat it and unless i get realy good at drying or salting the meat i cant even export it.

so you see each ruler has not just a goal for his chr but for his realm and when those goals are limited based on the tribe he is "Stuck with" then realy u are ruining his game play.

the whole statement of "well then dont join that kingdom go where the tribe gose" dose not fly with me or nearly any other long term kingdom player.

so yes why for the indervidual like gentry and below your race ur stuck with in kingdom level is anoying and u can breed into the one you want eventualy unless we at tittle pledges level do forced interbreeding programs we are pretty much screwed.

all comes down to 1 mans account... the king. and as they say Shit flows down hill...

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

7/19/2017 2:50:30 PM #7

My main character in every game I play has been "Deftly" lately and will remain the same in CoE. The thing I'm doing differently is that I will make it a persona. Each of my characters will have the persona of Deftly. It will be a look or armor passed down the family line. Deftly will just improve as the story continues on.

7/19/2017 5:21:11 PM #8

Posted By mandrake1980 at 06:29 AM - Wed Jul 19 2017

the whole statement of "well then dont join that kingdom go where the tribe gose" dose not fly with me or nearly any other long term kingdom player.

You think pledging yourself to a leader is better for the longterm?

By joining a kingdom before launch, resolving to follow them no-mater what tribe/land they get, you have made a very clear statement. You fully intend to follow your leader to the very end.

What happens during a power struggle, and you sided with the old monarch? Because of the fact you joined before domain/land selection, you have a very hard case to prove that you wouldn't try to place the old king back in power.

If you joined the kingdom based on the tribes within, you can make the argument that you protected the king as a mater of principle and duty. Claim you would defend the new leader with the same loyalty, as is their new divine right the rule the land. Granted, that really doesn't help if your case if you're a duke/duchess, as they have likely promised such titles to their followers.

A leader wouldn't (shouldn't) be seeking to replace little town that opposed him, Just those the leader thinks would be a problem. Problem people who turned on the old king for very little, or patriot states like you.

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

7/19/2017 6:55:27 PM #9

Posted By Corin at 03:21 AM - Thu Jul 20 2017

Posted By mandrake1980 at 06:29 AM - Wed Jul 19 2017

You think pledging yourself to a leader is better for the longterm?

By joining a kingdom before launch, resolving to follow them no-mater what tribe/land they get, you have made a very clear statement. You fully intend to follow your leader to the very end.

What happens during a power struggle, and you sided with the old monarch? Because of the fact you joined before domain/land selection, you have a very hard case to prove that you wouldn't try to place the old king back in power.

If you joined the kingdom based on the tribes within, you can make the argument that you protected the king as a mater of principle and duty. Claim you would defend the new leader with the same loyalty, as is their new divine right the rule the land. Granted, that really doesn't help if your case if you're a duke/duchess, as they have likely promised such titles to their followers.

A leader wouldn't (shouldn't) be seeking to replace little town that opposed him, Just those the leader thinks would be a problem. Problem people who turned on the old king for very little, or patriot states like you.

arh i think you are missing what i talking about there.

kingdoms are not just a king and his cronys which is the picture you create, a kingdom is a group of people who find they enjoy playing with each other. hell you dont even need to like your king to want to join a kingdom it is the people generaly that make the kingdom not any 1 man.

that being said if you cant find some form of common ground with the king then u will find a hard time.

plus i rather be in a kingdom where they know me to a extent then join a random kingdom and always have a cloud over my head. because i would be a wild card in there eyes and the chances of me retaining my title in that situation is much less likly.

try not to sugar coat the situation as it is a very big concern for alot of people. we all know the chances of us holding our titles for 10 rl years is near on inpossable but dose not mean we should risk out tittle within the first week..

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

7/19/2017 7:29:40 PM #10

Posted By mandrake1980 at 11:55 AM - Wed Jul 19 2017

arh i think you are missing what i talking about there.

kingdoms are not just a king and his cronys which is the picture you create, a kingdom is a group of people who find they enjoy playing with each other. hell you dont even need to like your king to want to join a kingdom it is the people generaly that make the kingdom not any 1 man.

that being said if you cant find some form of common ground with the king then u will find a hard time.

plus i rather be in a kingdom where they know me to a extent then join a random kingdom and always have a cloud over my head. because i would be a wild card in there eyes and the chances of me retaining my title in that situation is much less likly.

try not to sugar coat the situation as it is a very big concern for alot of people. we all know the chances of us holding our titles for 10 rl years is near on inpossable but dose not mean we should risk out tittle within the first week..

Seems like we have a completely different view on how a kingdom will look from the inside. Take a look to how many backers there are in this game, and note how many people are on the forums pledging themselves to a kingdom. People who joined a kingdom before domain selection are a huge minority. Most people won't know each other, and you probably won't even know your neighbor at launch.

If I was a leader, i wouldn't be concerned with people joining for the tribe. In my eyes, those who desire the tribe I own are not some wildcard, but a staple. They, at least, have a concrete basis for their dire to join. Not to mention a tribe is the hardest resource to lose.

Everyone else who is joining my kingdom for no particular reason? Whimsical in nature, fickle in loyalty. What if you don't get the Neran, and some monarch offers you extra farming land in the plains if you pledge yourself to him/her?

Why did you join Ashland?

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

7/19/2017 11:41:06 PM #11

Posted By Deftly at 09:50 AM - Wed Jul 19 2017

My main character in every game I play has been "Deftly" lately and will remain the same in CoE. The thing I'm doing differently is that I will make it a persona. Each of my characters will have the persona of Deftly. It will be a look or armor passed down the family line. Deftly will just improve as the story continues on.

I kindof like this. Assuming you want to make each generation have the same skillset and goal... it is pretty easy to justify a consistent identity within mechanical limitations. A cat burglar and vagabond named Joe takes on the the pseudonym "Deftly." He sires a son, James, who inherits his father's worldly possessions upon his death. In James' case, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and now we have two generations... Joe "Deftly" and James "Deftly."

Not like you couldn't alter the skills, even, but inherit not just the possessions but even the reputation of the "Deftly" moniker. So Johnny "Deftly" is actually a county renowned 'fence' and his son Joe "Deftly" II, who's Mayor friend becomes the new Count and installs him as a shady back alley Mayor. Then Joe "Deftly" III backstabs his friend and finds himself the new Count!

The point is that the "Deftly" name carries with it some implication of shady dealings and a similar skillset through multiple generations.

Obviously, I'm just spitballing... I'm sure you're a regular stand up guy, Deftly.

I do agree with the OP a little bit, though. We have pretty much all been programmed from game number one to make a main character that doesn't ever die and who is only burdened by their level, skills, item level, race or class. Their story starts with them but their world is entirely static. Sure, they are the chosen one, the dragonborn, the scion of the ancients or whateverthe... but their actions don't really change a damn thing. Their story is literally entirely made up by us and they will live forever.

In CoE, we can make a long and exciting character backstory, but it might not fully fit the actual life of the character. I think this is the moment that RPers the gaming world over have waited for... where the story of the character is actually just their life. The story is us playing the character. The storied lineage. The brave adventure. The dramatic death.

Some RPer who has always played some intrepid explorer can actually sail into the fiery sunset in search of new lands... and never be seen again. Metagame-wise, oh so sad the player needs to get a new spark but in-game it is amazing! His heir could then say "my father was the bravest man the world has ever known! I will find the lands he swore must be out there!" Or they might say "my father was foolhardy and arrogant! I won't throw my life away pursuing a speck of rock surrounded by endless angry seas!"

The story above could be started at launch with the first generation being some random fisherman. Then the second might be a shipwright. The third a ship's captain in service to the Duke, charged with exploring the high seas! Maybe the first generation starts with some EP and is the shipwright. Maybe they have a rl friend who is a Duke and they start as a captain of a ship right on launch day...

7/20/2017 12:52:59 AM #12

Posted By markof at 10:53 PM - Wed Jul 19 2017

yes KoE is not mandatory, even exposition is not mandatory, lots of players will not take part in exposition, it does not change the thing, that we keep thinking our first character as our"main" character and it does not need to be that way.

Well it seems I'm different in that way. My main character in games, well MMOs, has always been tied to achievements. Without them, I never had a main character or it was whatever I was playing the most, which was always changing anyway.

I'm personally thinking of making characters as how I would play The Sims. My story was never about one character. It was about my family line, seeing where I could end up before I got bored with it. To get that attached to one character, probably lead to thinking about quitting over wanting to start all over again. Probably be one reason I'm not fussed what I call myself in game, also don't want to get attached to some wicked name and calling myself that over and over feels silly.

Posted By mandrake1980 at 04:55 AM - Thu Jul 20 2017

There is no way near you be a wild card. So you change kingdoms in domain selection. You would have at least a year, if not longer. To get to know the new king/kingdom.

The only time people talk about wild cards, it's when someone random joins in domain selection/whenever in launch. Then they make zero effort to reach out. Most kingdoms I have seen posting on some random joining, mostly have zero problems working with them. Just don't like the silent ones, since who would.

7/20/2017 12:59:16 AM #13

Or, play as a vampire/lich and circumvent the system entirely! Woo!