COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Javascript gaming with Caspian!

Hey folks,

Our illustrious leader loves games like the rest of us, and recently brought to our attention a nice little gem of a game called:

Screeps!

Screeps is an RTS game where you program your units/creeps in Javascript (or Typescript) <-- this is a requirement.

The game costs $15.00 USD on Steam. For more details, check out the game site here.

Violet Sauska was nice enough to provide a Screeps Discord here (thank you!)

Caspian has been live streaming some of these talks on his Twitch channel here

Caspian has setup a private server for our community members and SBS developers to play on. To join, after you've loaded Screeps, select change server and enter the following for your IP address: 67.205.170.69

(Screeps works on PC and Linux)

Thank you for your support, enjoy Screeps & don't forget to thank Caspian.

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

9/9/2017 3:44:23 AM #1

I'm in. :-)

For those who do not know JavaScript or another compatible language, there's a ton of resources online for learning JavaScript, and I'm sure several of us would be happy to help as well.

Here's some I see commonly:

9/9/2017 3:49:06 AM #2

This looks like something I could waste entirely too much time on but not feel too bad since it is technically practice with a tech I'm supposed to be learning anyway.

screepsPlayers++

The Esotericum

9/9/2017 3:49:33 AM #3

I'm going to name all of my Screeps "The Waerd," hopefully that doesn't cause any problems.

9/9/2017 3:51:51 AM #4

9/9/2017 3:58:06 AM #5

Could be a fun way to teach myself some Javascript, I have been planning on getting into it someday anyway.

9/9/2017 4:07:54 AM #6

If this happens, I'm in! I absolutely want to make my teeth on Javascript's best practices one way or another anyway. :)

Norhurst, County of Opportunity

9/9/2017 5:18:07 AM #7

I've been meaning to play Screeps for a while now. It sounds like something I would enjoy. I've never really worked with JavaScript specifically but I've done a fair amount with C# (And Java way back in school) so I think I should be ok to learn.

9/9/2017 5:56:50 AM #8

I'm in if there will be a private server for Elyrians.

Will it (immediately) become a battle of CoE kingdoms? I would like to keep CoE politics out of this game.

Backer #12. Friend code: 9B7EDE.

Kypiq mayor of Willowhaven - Crossstone - Whiteraven Rock - Tryggr

Join Whiteraven Rock Discord (https://discord.gg/ppTBAqs)

9/9/2017 6:24:42 AM #9

It's worth noting that the Live Demo button on the Screeps site takes you to a private sim of the game where you can mess around, figure out it it's something you will like, and get used to the scripting. No cost to try it out like that before buying.

The Esotericum

9/9/2017 6:49:29 AM #10

I'm definitely in if this happens. I'm already learning Javascript and will probably play this either way. It would be awesome to play with some of my fellow Elyrians!

9/9/2017 7:13:32 AM #11

Play a game and learn to code at the same time...sounds awesome :)

9/9/2017 7:25:56 AM #12

Will playing Screeps be good training for controlling my OPC in Chronicles of Elyria?

(I'm already sold on the game—I didn't know I wanted this so bad.)

9/9/2017 9:14:59 AM #13

Posted By Vaku at 02:25 AM - Sat Sep 09 2017

Will playing Screeps be good training for controlling my OPC in Chronicles of Elyria?

(I'm already sold on the game—I didn't know I wanted this so bad.)

To a degree, yes. Screeps uses JavaScript for programming your AI, which is a strict subset of TypeScript, the language that it's currently planned for OPC scripting to be implemented in. So, in essence, yes. The fundamentals of what you learn in Screeps should carry over to CoE. :)

9/9/2017 9:30:03 AM #14

I'll play but I'll probs get utterly destroyed as I know nothing about programming.

9/9/2017 10:26:05 AM #15

Posted By Maulvorn at 10:30 AM - Sat Sep 09 2017

I'll play but I'll probs get utterly destroyed as I know nothing about programming.

We're on the same boat :D I know enough VBA to edit my macros and that's all the "programming experience" I have.

I've looked at the links in Caspian's post and I liked the intro of the course on the second one. Seems something I could learn, and doing it in a game might actually make it fun.

Make decisions based on what you want, not what you want to avoid.