COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What happened to the biweekly updates?

So forgive me if I have just missed them, but didn't we use to get biweekly updates on the games progress?

After the July report, it has been really quiet. Sure, there was a small update about stuff they worked on for PAX, we saw some screenshots from the MUD and there has been a ton of stuff about how people are waiting for the game. Sure, community building is a nice thing, but I want to read about the game, not about people that are waiting for it.

Brash

9/14/2017 12:29:28 PM #1

I thought in September they were starting weekly updates. Probably has to do with PAX though. Last time they were slow with the updates.

9/14/2017 12:51:13 PM #2

Soooo, we haven't gotten updates since they announced they were doing bi-weekly updates, except for the updates they gave us about Jousting and Pax? Which is content that will be in-game?

Don't get me wrong, I am as hungry for info as the next guy, but you seem to be answering your own question.

We got updates, it was about jousting, assets, mechanics, and Pax. Jousting, and the mechanics and assets behind it, will be in-game. Thus, I believe we received our bi-weekly updates.

Imgur

9/14/2017 1:30:56 PM #3

Not exactly

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/21445/production-journal-going-full-tilt#post237489

This was the latest update we got about the game and was posted almost a month ago.

Brash

9/14/2017 3:58:57 PM #4

I want daily updates! DAILY!

9/14/2017 5:04:09 PM #5

We've been getting weekly updates. There was a community journal on the 24th and a pax update on the 1st.

I personally forgive them for not having an update the week after a major convention. We may see a new post today, if not next week.

9/14/2017 5:54:29 PM #6

Terrantal I think they didn't mean an update HAD to be a dev journal. They have been actively engaging with the community. We had multiple videos released covering what happened at PaX and showing us the finished jousting product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8DHaWUcgT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-4PLbj_60I

Not to mention they also did a stream in the studio recently showing us the jousting.

They updated us on community engagement with Noslim being promoted to super Mod.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/21685/a-new- supermod-is-born

There was also an interview with Vye by one of the community members The Glass Spider

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/21675/powerful-women-lady-gamers-of-elyria-vye#post241044

So you are correct they have no posted a Dev Blog but in their attempt to be more active in the community I think they have had several updates. While the Dev Blogs are fantastic I think with the Dev team starting to engage in the community more the updates we will see might not be as formal, but seance PaX to me it seems that they have been giving out information as much as they can. It is also great to see the effect of PaX already on the forums. If you haven't noticed there are quite a few new faces around getting interested in the game, and that to me is much more valuable than getting a Dev Blog every Wednesday at exactly 5pm PST.

9/14/2017 6:01:12 PM #7

The community journal is more of a distraction if anything imo so they can "We DID give you an "update"". Don't get me wrong, community spotlights can be a great thing to have but there simply isn't enough goin on with the game for the community to do anything worth reading about. Nothing against mythos but getting to know a mod isn't general thing on a communities checklists. Especially when it will all be forgotten and/or lost over time.

If I were thinking of different ways to provide updates away from CoE as caspian or another member, I would do a general design post NOT on CoE.

One topic example: What makes good story in MMO's?

Now whoever is doing the journal can just free-write in their experience in the industry and playing games, what elements of story telling and world building are important to an MMO. This gives us a general feel to the thought process and decision making of CoE which when new game info does come out also makes it easier to understand. Instead of guessing why the studio did something, we have the thought process of the studio already posted. It's also likely to be related enough to CoE to fill the constant CoE info crave people have while not releasing any mechanics or binding statements about the game because you kept the topic on general mmos and left any specifics out. It should be a foreshadow to CoE but not enough for people to say "you said x y and z about CoE's design on -insert journal here- . For example, if a story writer for CoE says that a b and c elements are important to a story and he explains how those elements influence a story, players can then get a general nudge in the direction CoE might be going but don't have enough specific info to over-speculate and bind the devs.

To me these journals shouldn't take to long to develop because it's literally a free-write on what you value in the topic. There's no need for fact checking, checking what can and can't be public, green lighting or anything else. It's your opinion on design that they give all the time when asked verbally. Just write it in words.

I don't know anymore.

9/14/2017 6:28:11 PM #8

Just a totally uninformed guess, but I think there will probably be something once the community ambassador voting is finished on the 19th. If nothing more than just that.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

9/14/2017 6:45:50 PM #9

Keep in mind the return to "Story time with Caspain" in discord as well.

Personally haven't read up on it since I'm not in discord much but he literally drops by for impromptu QAs with folks online. Been a couple of these afaik.

9/15/2017 12:40:47 AM #10

Hi all - wanted to provide some clarity on our content cadence. Caspian mentioned it in the State of Elyria post, but to reiterate: we're publishing our developer journals alongside our production milestones. Meaning: as we start working towards the next goal in CoE's development, you'll see content released in this order:

Step 1: Kaizen posts a public-facing version of our functional spec or design document. This would provide you with insight into our ambitions for a specific mechanic, and details about the upcoming features the party would be working on. It would identify the name of the party, as well as its members.

Step 2: We do a live Q&A about the party. This'll give you an opportunity to ask clarifying questions about the work the party will be doing, as well as any details you might have about the feature work.

Step 3: We provide one or more production updates, depending on the time it takes for the party to complete their work. This would likely include concept art, screenshots, animations & videos, or anything else that helps show off the progress we've been making.

Step 4: We release a final or close-to-final feature video showing off the completed work.

Step 5: We film a retrospective where we discussed the challenges we encountered as a party while working on the feature sets.

So the next piece of content you should expect from us is the jousting retrospective...which will be dropping very soon.

Lastly - to be clear - we're not publishing dev journals on a weekly basis. We're publishing dev journals when we hit any of the steps listed above.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me directly! DMs are always open.

Until next time...

9/15/2017 12:46:46 AM #11

That was a solid explanation. Thank you Kaizen.

9/15/2017 1:42:35 AM #12

Its been a while but they did tell us to expect some delays regarding the fact that they needed to get something ready for Pax and it would take most of the questers time. AS well as Kaizen said cause he knows whats up.

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

9/15/2017 12:30:19 PM #13

I believe the OP is referring to this update Vye posted, which has an section near the top of the post called ... "The End of Updates As We Know Them"

in it she says, >Starting in August, we're going to return to a weekly blog schedule. You'll see at least the same amount of information that the existing updates have given - probably more - only now it will be categorized better and have different authors. In the end, it means more information, more transparency, and more involvement with the overall development of the game!

Which is basically saying they are doing a weekly blog update, not bi-weekly, which can be anything from....

>Blog posts may be one of a few types: > >* Design Journal: Describing Caspian's vision of Chronicles of Elyria in detail >* Production Journal: Reporting on the progress of Quests being undertaken by the team and any updates about the team >* Community Journal: Highlighting what's going on in the community and any events to get involved in >* Soulbound Studios Broadcast: Documenting our journey by recapping on what we've achieved and looking ahead on what's to come

Though some aren't as detailed as others, personally I'd say that they have kept to that weekly blog schedule. The website as it currently is, probably isn't the best at categorizing these updates or making them easily searchable, but on the #updates channel on Discord you can see these is at least one update a week that falls into one of the stated categories.