COMMUNITY - FORUMS - LUNA DOMAINS
A Campaign for Economic Prosperity

The Kingdom of Vitalis

Greetings! Welcome to the Kingdom of Vitalis! I’m Jon Warren, candidate for King. I am running because I believe that a stable kingdom supported by a strong, innovative economy is the best environment for the prosperity of the citizens.

The name "Vitalis" comes from the Latin word "Vita" or "Life". Vitalis is a vision for a new kingdom based upon growth, community, and rewarding value, rather than raw power. A kingdom with a strong military and prosperous economy will be powerful, of course. However, the focus will be economic growth and providing an environment that not only allows for every type of gameplay(whether it be combat, crafting, exploration, etc..), but also supports and encourages variations of gameplay.

While this campaign didn't begin with foreign backing from another kingdom, or community connections within any of the other servers, I am actively reaching out to the community and bringing in new backers. Our community is growing nicely!

Christmas Promotion

A number of people asked me if I was planning to bring back my EP promotion for supporters. After much thought, I have decided to offer a new Christmas promotion. I will offer 75 EP in items from the EP store for each Kingdom Token sent to "Jon_Warren" on the forums. Furthermore, SoulBound Studios has opened up gifting of EP, items, and packages, on the store, so I am willing to provided customized offers for as long as they remain giftable in the store.

This Christmas promotion is designed to provide each supporter with more value than they would receive from trading tokens or buying EP for themselves. It is an example of the type of policies I would like to introduce in the kingdom - when people provide value, they receive it in return.

Thank you for your support of the Free Kingdom and myself! You are helping to build a unified kingdom and I very much appreciate your support and advice.

Media

I have participated in several video interviews as well as a debate. I believe that it is important to connect with the community and explain my vision for Vitalis.

Get connected on our Discord and Facebook page for updates and discussions. Recently we held a limited EP promotion for supporters. I intend to hold several livestreams as soon as my streaming PC is functional again. I believe that a strong kingdom must be built from the ground up and that means talking with the people who will live in the kingdom. Our kingdom provides a unique opportunity for gamers from all genres.

Personal Background

I have personal experience in public policy and am currently working towards a law degree. Economics and innovation are two of my passions and I believe that they will aid me in leading the kingdom. One of my long-term goals is to pursue a career in business development. I can’t guarantee experience leading thousands of people, but I can guarantee that I am dedicated to this kingdom!

I have been following CoE since I happened upon it, during Day 1 of the Kickstarter. The vision that Caspian has for this world is groundbreaking and I want to participate. I have significantly backed several other games with similar design elements, including, Revival, Dual Universe, and Star Citizen. I believe that the future of gaming is in creating multiplayer sandbox games that allow the community to create their own story. In Elyria, there is a place for every person and soon there will be a person for every place. Let’s create something spectacular!

I am currently pledged as a Magistrate and am putting all of my disposable income into this campaign. Luna server is my home and I will be residing in this kingdom, regardless of the extent of my campaign’s success. We have a great opportunity here. The Kingdom of Vitalis can be a melting pot of diverse perspectives and varying backgrounds. Those differences will be our strength. Our nobility will be coming from different backgrounds, which though more chaotic, allows us a greater capacity for innovation and development if we work together.

Economy

The kingdom will be composed of thousands of players and NPCs of varying professions and personalities. I will promote an environment where they can succeed in their chosen professions and have the freedom to pursue new opportunities as they may arise.

Economic development, through innovation and entrepreneurship is my primary focus within the economy. Whenever someone offers an improvement on an old system, or the development of a new one, I want to reward them. Putting those systems in place is a big priority. I've laid out a few policies so far, to promote growth in the economy:

• A bounty system which can be used at any level of government, to pay citizens for completing tasks that the government would have had to spend taxes or resources to complete, or which provide measured value to the kingdom.

• A kingdom "Shark Tank" which can be used at any level of government, that utilizes tournaments to narrow down possible investments, which can be offered loans in exchange for a percentage of future profits.

• A foundation of self-sustaining territories, which will decrease the reliance on imports and aid in stabilizing the economy as a whole.

• Several other projects, including: a "Pony Express" to facilitate communication and transport of small items, a system of policed highways allowing protected transport of goods which will be paid for through a system of tolls, a commodity-backed currency which will retain value over time, and much more!

A major goal for Vitalis is to shift the kingdom’s revenue from taxes to passive income from investments. This will allow us more freedom in spending and the opportunity to alleviate taxation on the citizenry. The ideal result would be the elimination of taxes via the creation of new revenue sources. However, that will take a lot of effort. I can only promise that I will keep this goal in mind and continue to work towards it.

Trade with other nations would be encouraged and secure trade routes with key trade partners will be established as soon as they are possible. Development of technological and educational facilities will be encouraged and sponsored in the most effective ways we can find.

Military

The Royal Army of Vitalis will be the kingdom’s official military force. They will be outfitted and trained professionally using kingdom revenue and each duchy, including the Royal Duchy, will be required to maintain and field specific quotas of men, horses, and equipment, to be used in times of war. The quotas will be based on population, wealth, and location of the duchy. The Royal Army will be the official kingdom response to invasions or threats to the kingdom.

Template systems will be provided to barons in my duchy and hopefully the others as well, offering logistical and strategic advice, to offer faster response times and a wider range of protection to nearby settlements.

Duchies will be expected to build and maintain defenses along borders, important infrastructure, and areas of strategic value. The kingdom will coordinate efforts and be supported with such help from the duchies, as may be necessary. The ultimate goal of our military will be to secure our borders and neutralize threats to the kingdom. I do not have plans for aggressive conquering of neighboring lands. Stability and strength will be important to a growing kingdom.

Government

For the kingdom to run efficiently, there will have to be specific, outlined governmental procedures. The Kingdom of Vitalis will have a cabinet of nobles, who will oversee many areas of the kingdom’s operations. These cabinet positions will primarily be filled with dukes and such other nobles as present themselves to be qualified. However, a “Voice of the People” will be elected by community representatives from each of the kingdom’s counties.

The current cabinet positions I’m considering are:

• Commander of the Royal Army

• Kingdom Treasurer

• Kingdom Ambassador

• Master of Industry

• Master of Law

• Voice of the People

• Religious Advisor

I’ve messaged almost all of the major candidates about being part of my cabinet. Of those I’ve contacted so far, most of them seemed open to it. After the election, I would like to discuss the details further and design the positions in such a way that the kingdom benefits from their experience and knowledge.

The Ducal Council will be composed of the dukes and each duke will receive 1 vote. The king will decide in the case of a tie and retain veto power for extreme cases. A veto can be overridden by a two-thirds majority of the dukes.

The Assembly of Nobles will be composed of the Ducal Council and all the counts/countesses from across the kingdom. They will be able to propose legislation, though the Ducal Council will have the final say on putting forward certain types of legislation, such as confirmations of cabinet members, foreign treaties, and a number of others. The goal is to create an efficient system that provides autonomy for the nobility as well as oversight for the crown.

Legal System

A series of core kingdom-wide laws will be enacted by the king, to create a framework that protects the citizens, funds the kingdom, and ensures stability and economic opportunity. The dukes will have freedom to pass laws as they see fit, within the scope of those mandates.

Until we have further details on the mechanics of the legal system and I have an opportunity to discuss the policies with the dukes, I will refrain from setting any mandates in stone. The objectives of any law passed will fall under defense of the nation, protection of the citizens’ lives, liberty, and property, and the overall welfare of the citizenry. Each piece of legislation will be carefully examined for unintended consequences. The ultimate goal is to effectively follow these policy directives, without causing harm to the kingdom in some way.

If a court system is needed, then I have a detailed common law system designed. However, it may not be necessary within the mechanics.

Community

Interaction within the community will drive our government, our culture, and our economy. I believe it is important to remember that the kingdom isn’t just 12 duchies with 288 counties. The kingdom is all of us working together to achieve our individual and community goals. While I am taking the position of king very seriously, most people play games for the joy they get from the experience. I want to make sure that we make being a part of Vitalis a fun experience. With that goal in mind, I have made plans for a number of community events and will make plans for many more, as suggestions come in.

Tournaments hosted by the kingdom can provide a place for merchants to congregate and sell their wares, the opportunity for citizens to try their hand at various crafts and make some money, and ultimately create a fun environment for players. Fairs designed as venues for craftsmen to hawk their products and expand their customer base, will allow us to give citizens access to goods and services from their region, that they may not have been aware of. Hunts, exploratory charters, and a variety of other activities can be turned into contests with prizes, to make the experiences more fun for the citizens in Vitalis. The reason that I want to make the kingdom less reliant on taxation is so that we can fund exciting projects for the kingdom, without using funds we draw from the citizens for their protection and safety.

Nobility

Over the past couple weeks, I have spoken with a number of nobles about joining my campaign. I have already gained the support of 3 counts/countesses and 1 potential duke(he hasn't pledged for a duchy yet, but he plans to shortly). I am in discussions with several more. As I receive permission to publicize their support, I will include their names here.

Counts/Countesses:

• Awenita Whitetail

• Finn MacCoul

• Zeiger

• Donut310

• Will Werven

• Elek

• Rovert

My goal is to build my duchy as an example to the others, by building a network of diverse, like-minded, and creative individuals that will take local positions within my duchy. With my support, they will develop their counties into hotspots of innovation, creativity, and freedom. Experimentation is part of growth and progress. We can utilize successful models and improve the efficiency of our duchy and the kingdom over time.

Game Mechanics

While we will be limited in the scope of what we can do, by the game mechanics put in place, we can still influence the development of those mechanics. As players we can help to suggest solutions to improve certain mechanics and provide feedback on how they affect gameplay. Our community has a diverse variety of backgrounds and experience. We are part of a 10-year story and I encourage everyone to take part in improving that story. If we work together, we can create a narrative that echoes through Elyria!

By purchasing and sending me 1 Kingdom Token you are laying the foundation for the Kingdom of Vitalis, both by supporting me as King and by providing EP to be used towards the kingdom. I appreciate your efforts!

Q&A

When we consistently create value for others, we will be rewarded for it. My motto is, “Every problem is an opportunity in disguise”. I wish to create an environment where we can find those opportunities, to bolster growth and economic success for all residents. Everyone should be able to enjoy their time playing the game.

What makes you personally, different from any other candidate?

I am dedicated, always learning, and I’m not one to rush in blindly. I will be taking this responsibility very seriously. I will apply my core principles to each of my policies. I welcome negotiation and compromise, but I understand that there are certain boundaries we don't negotiate.

How will you go about phasing out taxes?

Through equity agreements based on loans, value savings from citizens, and any and all value propositions that will grow sustainably over time. Businesses are a better source of income, than taxes on land, because businesses have a much higher growth rate over time. They would also decrease the amount of bureaucracy needed to acquire the same amount of money.

The goal is to allow even the lowliest of people to develop a business venture and create value for themselves and others. A percentage of their business’ profits will replace their taxes. Thus, successful business will be rewarded and encouraged. I will hold regular competitions where residents can submit their business propositions to be reviewed. They will progress through this process based on the merit of their idea and the subsequent work they put into it.

How will the kingdom select the projects in which to invest funds? Clearly every citizen in the nation can't receive a loan for their business ideas.

Every citizen won't be guaranteed a loan from the kingdom. We will endeavor to select the best business plans or value propositions. Submissions will be vetted and narrowed down through a series of rounds, ending with a "Shark Tank" of sorts that decides on the final picks. The nobles will be instrumental in that process, and will be able to participate or appoint representatives to participate - they can also borrow the template to use within their own duchies and counties.

What is your position on relations with the existing kingdoms?

My first duty is the prosperity of the residents in my kingdom, but I will try to initiate collaborative projects with other kingdoms as well. If we are successful, we should help our neighbors after all. Especially if it promotes further growth.

Will you support PvP roles in the kingdom?

I understand that PvP is a necessary and important aspect of the game. We will need a strong military in order to defend from external threats. If threatened by military force, we will take the steps necessary to neutralize the threat. I would like to pursue avenues for those interested in PvP, whether it be bounty hunting, mercenary ventures, or adventuring to help solve problems for our kingdom. I welcome any ideas you may have for this as well.

Border skirmishes and conflicts with neighboring territories would probably be allowed to a certain extent. However, allied kingdoms and kingdoms with which we have a treaty would have to be excluded from any conflicts. Action against another kingdom's seat would have to be discussed with the council first.

My focus will be primarily PvE and my goal is to create an environment where those who wish to pursue careers outside of combat may do so. However, I don’t want to do this at the expense of our defense capabilities or security.

Will you support religious movements within your kingdom?

I welcome all organizations, political movements, and religions. However, any group that intends harm to residents of our kingdom will be dealt with in appropriate force. I will not force any belief system upon my residents, nor will I allow others to do so.

What is your view on roleplay in the kingdom?

Roleplay is a long-standing tradition in gaming and I understand that CoE provides a unique opportunity for participating in roleplay. I will not be limiting roleplay and may even participate at times, but will not force players into one set playstyle.

What are your criteria for developing new policies?

1. Do the benefits of the policy outweigh the costs?

2. Will the policy have negative repercussions for citizens?

3. Is the policy feasible with the systems provided?

What systems will you have in place to counterbalance monopolies and a surplus of foreign imports?

I fully support free trade between borders, I believe it is essential to our growth. Incentivizing competition in the industries which our kingdom lacks will be a priority, as replacing imports provides greater value to the kingdom.

Monopolies create a stagnant environment not conducive to innovation and economic growth. In order to maximize our kingdom's advantage, I will be pursuing avenues of incentivized competition and freedom of access. Small shops and businesses should have the opportunity to compete with better prices, a better quality product/service, or a better business model.

If you want the freedom to pursue your own economic interests, while helping to build a better kingdom, please consider me for King. I am dedicated to creating a kingdom where we can all prosper and pursue our goals together. Please feel free to pose any questions and suggestions you might have.

Thank you for taking the time to read this campaign summary! Many thanks to those who have extended their support already! I deeply appreciate your votes and advice! I am constantly improving my policies, so please let me know any thoughts you might have.

Jon Warren ~ Kingdom of Vitalis

11/3/2017 4:34:27 AM #1

I wish you luck dear!~♥

11/3/2017 4:35:30 AM #2

Thanks Violet, I appreciate it!

EDIT: Due to advice from several people on my campaign team, my former policy for rewarding voters with in-game gold will be replaced by the EP-doubling promotion! Those who sent support previous to this point will still be rewarded.

11/4/2017 12:00:57 AM #3

[Reserved]

11/6/2017 7:43:42 PM #4

It's honorable that you try to be people's person, but do you remember what happenned when last time someone tried to do that in RL? Shot dead in the head.

What I imply is that by conquering hearts of commoners, you sow dissent among your vassals. You can't have enough time and money to actually focus on all aspects. There will be always someone discontent, and your Kingdom will soon be considered a valuable prey if you focus on personal wealth of every citizen.

Also,

>We do not have full information on taxes, so a fleshed out tax policy is not entirely possible right now. However, my intent as king is to tax my duchy at 200% the rate of the other duchies(based on gold per parcel per month). It provides an incentive for me to keep taxes manageable and low.

That's not how taxation works, even in medieval times ;) It will just cause people to leave for vassal Duchies to evade tax. Even when roleplaying, people still tend to their money.

11/7/2017 1:28:46 AM #5

Posted By Aardvark at 2:43 PM - Mon Nov 06 2017

It's honorable that you try to be people's person, but do you remember what happenned when last time someone tried to do that in RL? Shot dead in the head.

What I imply is that by conquering hearts of commoners, you sow dissent among your vassals. You can't have enough time and money to actually focus on all aspects. There will be always someone discontent, and your Kingdom will soon be considered a valuable prey if you focus on personal wealth of every citizen.

Also,

>We do not have full information on taxes, so a fleshed out tax policy is not entirely possible right now. However, my intent as king is to tax my duchy at 200% the rate of the other duchies(based on gold per parcel per month). It provides an incentive for me to keep taxes manageable and low.

That's not how taxation works, even in medieval times ;) It will just cause people to leave for vassal Duchies to evade tax. Even when roleplaying, people still tend to their money.

I'm curious as to what you're referencing when you say someone tried to be the "people's person" and got shot in the head.

I won't be personally focusing on all aspects. I plan to delegate. However, I can put a system in place that guarantees my vassals receive value as well. The system is designed so that the profits the vassals receive will not decrease. By promoting wealth creation all the way up the chain, my vassals incomes should if anything, increase significantly.

You are correct, that would be a ridiculous method. It was poorly phrased. I didn't realize the mistake, until I saw your comment. I meant to say that I would personally, from my profits, aim to pay another 100% of the value of the taxes. So that it would be my personal funds affected, not my duchy's tax rate. Thanks for pointing that out!

11/13/2017 5:55:20 AM #6

The best King's in history are ones who have shown to be able to handle conflict and solve them when the situation arises. This leads to my hypothetical question to test your problem solving skills if such problems were to occur.

You begin to notice a problem with your Dukes. They want to continue taxing the populace and increase taxes. Even though they promised in the beginning to follow your economic ideology. They continually veto all your proposals to lower taxes and phase them out. Eventually, you realize that they are hurting the kingdoms economy with their own greed. They continually pressure you to change a lot of your original kingdom designs. What are your plans to solve this?

11/13/2017 3:43:32 PM #7

Posted By Indivation at 12:55 AM - Mon Nov 13 2017

The best King's in history are ones who have shown to be able to handle conflict and solve them when the situation arises. This leads to my hypothetical question to test your problem solving skills if such problems were to occur.

You begin to notice a problem with your Dukes. They want to continue taxing the populace and increase taxes. Even though they promised in the beginning to follow your economic ideology. They continually veto all your proposals to lower taxes and phase them out. Eventually, you realize that they are hurting the kingdoms economy with their own greed. They continually pressure you to change a lot of your original kingdom designs. What are your plans to solve this?

Well, not lowering taxes may hurt the economy, but unless they were enacting policies causing great financial harm, I would not interfere. Leading by example is best.

However, if they were causing financial harm to the kingdom through any policies, then I would take several steps. First, I would analyze the economic impact they were having and how their duchies compared to mine, or any others who were doing alright, economically. Then, I would approach them one-on-one to discuss solutions.

If an agreement could not be reached one-on-one, then I would take the issue to the council, presenting the toll their policies were taking on the kingdom.

If all negotiation at every level failed and the kingdom was suffering as a result, I would take steps to minimize the damage to the kingdom, at all costs, whether that be through new policies to minimize the drain on the kingdom's resources, or through military force.

However, if we ever end up with a council of dukes who will not negotiate or compromise and are harming the kingdom through their actions, we have lost the kingdom already.

If my policies are as good as I believe, then I should be able to present the benefits to the dukes in such a way that they would agree. If they can't agree to my policies, then a compromise somewhere in the middle, that benefits the kingdom, as well as the dukes, should be found.

11/26/2017 8:10:03 PM #8

As king, what would be your response to nobles who want to do things differently, whether in separate counties and duchies or in your duchy specifically? If their views are very different and harm the economy will you still let them try their ideas?

11/26/2017 8:58:27 PM #9

Hey Elek, my policy is to encourage nobles to pursue unique and different models for success, so long as those models produce results.

If a noble's model for leading their county/duchy is resulting in a failure to fulfill their duties to the kingdom, then I will step in. However, if a noble's model is not particularly successful, but is not inhibiting their ability to fulfill their duties, I may discuss it with them, but will allow them the freedom to pursue that method, whether in my duchy or without.

Those in my duchy will receive support from me in their endeavors. If I see value in a model and it is not doing so well, I may pitch in to help it succeed. I want each county to be an experiment in ideas. We can borrow those ideas that succeed and avoid those that fail, allowing us to continually move towards a more efficient duchy over time.

Any ideas that bring harm to the citizens or the kingdom will be strictly shunned. We want to grow and bond with our community, not squeeze it for profit or gain.

11/30/2017 3:42:15 PM #10

Posted By Jon_Warren at 3:58 PM - Sun Nov 26 2017

Hey Elek, my policy is to encourage nobles to pursue unique and different models for success, so long as those models produce results.

If a noble's model for leading their county/duchy is resulting in a failure to fulfill their duties to the kingdom, then I will step in. However, if a noble's model is not particularly successful, but is not inhibiting their ability to fulfill their duties, I may discuss it with them, but will allow them the freedom to pursue that method, whether in my duchy or without.

Those in my duchy will receive support from me in their endeavors. If I see value in a model and it is not doing so well, I may pitch in to help it succeed. I want each county to be an experiment in ideas. We can borrow those ideas that succeed and avoid those that fail, allowing us to continually move towards a more efficient duchy over time.

Any ideas that bring harm to the citizens or the kingdom will be strictly shunned. We want to grow and bond with our community, not squeeze it for profit or gain.

Ok, good answer. Thanks!

12/3/2017 12:33:02 AM #11

Happy to help!

I will be appearing on Gorawyn and Jaxiel's new show, the "Free Kingdom Chronicler" in 30 minutes! Please tune in as we discuss my campaign and the Free Kingdom! Link here