COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Think we can use a controller to play this game?

I am god awful at combat when using a mouse and keyboard, do any of you think that upon launch it will be fairly simple to use a controller instead of or with a mouse and keyboard? I have never done this yet I know it can be done with many games.

2/23/2018 6:02:51 PM #1

Doubt it. A configurable controller like a Steam controller is probably the closest you'll get.

True controller support requires the UI and mechanics to be designed to work with them; if I remember correctly, that's not an option because it'll remove a lot of potential complexity.

But again, a good Steam controller config (you can set it up to work with non-steam games) can make pure kb/m games playable with a controller. Though very good configs take a lot of time and thought to set up.

2/23/2018 6:04:03 PM #2

There are a couple third party programs that can be used to help if it isn't integrated, Although, depending on how many keys are gonna be used for various things, you may need to swap between controller and keyboard at times.

The one's I'd recommend for using an Xbox controller would be either DirectInput or XInput.

Count Zachariah Ardent of Vigil

Founder of the Plague Doctors Without Borders
2/23/2018 6:17:29 PM #3

Maybe also look into an orbweaver or similar gaming pad device, should have enough functions while giving you a more controller like interface

2/23/2018 6:44:52 PM #4

Im hoping I can find a way to use the controller to move and fight/ride while using the keyboard for everything else. probs need to hire a programmer that's half my age lol Thanks guys.

2/23/2018 6:57:52 PM #5

I hope so, otherwise I spent some time in the combat design I maybe shouldn't have... tease ;)

Seriously though, the plan is to support gamepad play and we're designing the controls with that in mind from the ground up. That doesn't mean we're gamepad > Keyboard or anything though, just that we think about how to do everything on the gamepad, other alternate controllers, and the keyboard equally well.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
2/23/2018 7:18:47 PM #6

By Snipehunter at 12:57 PM - Fri Feb 23 2018

I hope so, otherwise I spent some time in the combat design I maybe shouldn't have...

lolol @Snipe

2/23/2018 7:30:18 PM #7

Posted By Snipehunter at 7:57 PM - Fri Feb 23 2018

I hope so, otherwise I spent some time in the combat design I maybe shouldn't have...

;)

Seriously though, the plan is to support gamepad play and we're designing the controls with that in mind from the ground up. That doesn't mean we're gamepad > Keyboard or anything though, just that we think about how to do everything on the gamepad, other alternate controllers, and the keyboard equally well.

"other alternate controllers" not including keyboard or gamepad, leaves us with, like.... "VR controllers"!? ;-)

...or am I completely missing out on some super obvious conventional controls atm?

Kernothia

2/23/2018 8:29:56 PM #8

Posted By Snipehunter at 10:57 AM - Fri Feb 23 2018

I hope so, otherwise I spent some time in the combat design I maybe shouldn't have... tease ;)

Damn Snipe....you know how to get a guy re HYPED. lol

SBS is life

2/23/2018 10:57:42 PM #9

Well, I would recommend buying csgo or pubg or a similar shooter, that is the best way to train yourself :) Trust me, keyboard is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> gamepad on pc

2/24/2018 2:32:37 PM #10

Seriously though, the plan is to support gamepad play and we're designing the controls with that in mind from the ground up. (...)

I hope you don't mind the question, but that has sparked my curiosity! How does that relate to interaction with NPCs (OPCs)? Are you designing communication as 'multiple choice' (based on the token system?), or how do you envision that without a keyboard?

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

2/24/2018 8:15:15 PM #11

Posted By Logain at 08:32 AM - Sat Feb 24 2018

Seriously though, the plan is to support gamepad play and we're designing the controls with that in mind from the ground up. (...)

I hope you don't mind the question, but that has sparked my curiosity! How does that relate to interaction with NPCs (OPCs)? Are you designing communication as 'multiple choice' (based on the token system?), or how do you envision that without a keyboard?

It almost has to be multiple choice to communicate effectively with npcs... not like they will be great conversationists.

2/24/2018 8:16:59 PM #12

Posted By Deinjl at 1:30 PM - Fri Feb 23 2018

;)

"other alternate controllers" not including keyboard or gamepad, leaves us with, like.... "VR controllers"!? ;-)

...or am I completely missing out on some super obvious conventional controls atm?

Clearly they mean racing wheels, flight pedals, and a farm-sim tractor control panel. Ooh, maybe someone can invent a controller to emulate reins, saddle and spurs...

2/24/2018 8:50:38 PM #13

Steam controller is best controller you don't have to hope the developers do it. And it is useful.

2/24/2018 8:59:05 PM #14

Posted By Dekul at 5:15 PM - Sat Feb 24 2018

Posted By Logain at 08:32 AM - Sat Feb 24 2018

It almost has to be multiple choice to communicate effectively with npcs... not like they will be great conversationists.

No idea how mutch trouble it would be to design a effective system with multiple choice for sentence formation, but it could work and be a solution that improves potential complexity of the dialogs with npcs. Something similar with the interactions in The Sims.

2/24/2018 10:25:30 PM #15

Posted By Deinjl at 11:30 AM - Fri Feb 23 2018

;)

The team is ensuring that their development is as inclusive as possible, so they are trying to ensure that players who need alternate play methods (a player with mobility issues for instance) will be able to play the game. Some people can't use a normal keyboard, some need controls that function differently than what most folks can do, so the inclusion of "other" controllers includes typical controls like keyboard, and the potential for alternate controls.

It COULD also refer to VR, since (while not reached during Kickstarter funding) the technology will be looked at poterntially for after launch.

However, for launch, it's MOSTLY the typical controls, with additions for using console controllers (as we know that some of the devs switch to these for play testing or specific task work), and potentially work arounds for okayers with disabilities.

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF