COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Elyrian names and words!

Greetings, elyrians!

Caspian has blessed us with some Elyrian names in our Official Discord. In order to avoid misleading information and allow you guys to enjoy them, I've decided to gather them here.

If you see anyone from SbS giving more and they're not in this list, please, write a message together with a screenshot of the source so I can add it here.

Elyrian names:

• Kypiq: Awbeoe, Awrownd, Ownelaret, Bawroe, Bownahpiq, Rit, Sawjayiq, Jayejayawks, Kadeiq, Hawpers, Hedeh, Laht, Hehtiqertawne, Bawethloe, Leysdawleh, Sohsawiq, Kawiq, Tihkqi, Hahat, Lownkri, Rawsertz, Lownkri, Rawsertz, Eith, Wehls, Hawdbown.

• Hrothi: Chànd, Mehnn, Rhus, Ser, Schnedehrz, Schpahns, Ternehrz, Whæhrrhehrz, Whìrsch

• Dras: Laazesapho, Piazan Te, Gajepi, Nuet, Thayasiyo, Saajevu, Kroááóm, Usat tepiajesi, Mÿeul, Zeÿnatsi te, Lauzanazeáusat, Saopisa te.

• To'resk: Rajovwe, Rajevous, Linss, Shewe, Chotsî, Vrajosh, Torelle, Quisînmeau, Tzajosî, Awatzewe, Shinsrarajos, Eskajotssî, Nmaçaty, Trawashaça, Chawarois, Tajes, Tzeaunt, Tzasdrawej, Shaistawarer.

• Janoa: Olanózt, Panóúmba tak, Ya niésau, Ztásu nkáumá, áya nisarré, Wúmbá, Koyonya, Ses, Siare

• Waerd: W'etwanna, Os'sosh, Osshetch'et, Bushhis, Waji, Losdet, Shashshis, Shi, Domyush, D`etjiah, Chetma, Ji'etsh, Woshh, Nashwis, Mishm, Doswush, Shumhisn.

• Neran: Actan, Andes, Archjard, Baun, Banlaw, Baxtin, Beck, Bannin, Blest, Cewtharne, Ingle, Janran, Flork, GageGladan, Handy, Hant, Hewk, Leytan, Landan, Lyan, Blest, Walbir, Actan, Jey, Spank, Maddand.

• Brudvir: Auhä, Ainsvärd, Haußiat, Hauldea, Hesthø, Chärraitt, Zödä, Schärraihiern, Triasent, Yrtevärd, Eresdä, Kestre, Kugrkdä, Köestr, Svägrkl, Veahstregh.

How do we say...

• Thank you: Ztápbi (Janoa culture)

"It's not a literal translation of thank you. It has a different meaning, but it's equivalent to thank you in their culture." Caspian.

Renamed

• Wetlander: Croçais
  • Deserter: Isshek
  • Northener: Denhørt

2/28/2018 5:28:22 PM #1

Surnames or first names?

2/28/2018 5:34:40 PM #2

Very interesting....I wonder how many people will be changing their reserved name idea because of this....

2/28/2018 5:37:16 PM #3

Posted By Johan Housel at 6:28 PM - Wed Feb 28 2018

Surnames or first names?

Surnames

2/28/2018 5:41:37 PM #4

Well...at least I know now that I won't wait for land selection to chose my surname because no matter what tribe I'm gonna end up with, I won't be using things likge "Whæhrrhehrz" as a Hrothi for example :D

2/28/2018 5:50:35 PM #5

The Hrothi do have a bit of a gnome'ish'ness to them :P

2/28/2018 6:26:02 PM #6

The latest edition of Names Nobody Can Pronounce. Sorry to be a Negative Nancy, but I just don't like this sort of thing. :(

We're all writing in English. I really really hope we won't be expected to learn fictional languages just so we can understand and pronounce words.

Naming conventions like this drift the game even further away from low fantasy.

2/28/2018 7:00:49 PM #7

Was hoping to be able to tell what tribe the names where from, but I just see a lot of X,Z in most of them.

Might just be me who is bad at seeing patterns, but mjeh.. Choosing a surname did not get easier.

Well.. guess they do look slightly different when looking at them a bit longer, might get used to it over time.

2/28/2018 7:32:22 PM #8

Yeah a few of them will seem more similar to each other than others, too. Since they stem from proto-neran, those languages all share a common root.

• Snipehunter
2/28/2018 8:00:30 PM #9

I'd like to start by saying that despite my mostly "negative" posts, I greatly appreciate all of the effort the Devs are putting into detail. Now, with regards to these names ... WTF? I retract my previous complaint regarding surname reservation before domain/tribal lockdown - with names like this i don't think even hardcore RP folk are gonna bother.

2/28/2018 8:09:51 PM #10

I like most of the names honestly, though some are perhaps a little too extra.

Could you add a pronunciation guide? How does one pronounce 'Whæhrrhehrz', for example?

Mayor of Oar's Rest, in the Kingdom of Al-Khezam

Friend Code: C413EC

2/28/2018 8:15:52 PM #11

To be fair, I think these are shown as phonetic spellings. For the Dras they are, at the least, pleasing sounds:

"Laazesapho, Piazan Te, Gajepi, Nuet, Thayasiyo, Saajevu"

Lazy-Sapho / Pia-Zan-te / Gey-Jeppy / New-ette ~ almost Frenchified Italianish really!

I could live with those, Neran and Brudvir work to me as well.

Imgur

2/28/2018 8:21:57 PM #12

Oooo, I like them. Particularly Tzajosî and Awatzewe, that gives me a better idea of what sort of sounds are in Toresk names.

Not sure how to interpret the apostrophe in some of the Waerd names. I usually associate that with a stop, like in Hawai'i, but that doesn't particularly make sense with W'etwanna or Os'sosh. I'd definitely have to hear that to understand why it's there. Unless it's a contraction... Hmm.

I dig seeing these bits of language coming out!

Builder of Roads | NA-W To'resk

Friend code: C827D6

2/28/2018 8:46:45 PM #13

Posted By Sanguinesh Eviscerator at 3:00 PM - Wed Feb 28 2018

with names like this i don't think even hardcore RP folk are gonna bother.

Never underestimate the lengths to which the RPers will go.

Kip from Fist of the Empire

Friend code: 72EC67

2/28/2018 9:35:49 PM #14

I wasn't sure what I was expecting but hopefully we can wrap our heads around why the names are the way they are. I mean it's interesting lore wise but we still need utility.

Its does appear the Dras surnames are actual words some changed slightly

Laazesapho is Zulu for family

Piazan Te bears a resemblance to Italian paisan meaning brother, compatriot etc

Gajepi is a Dimasa word for encircle

Nuet is Swedish for the present

Saajevu is Hindi for Decorum

Thayasiyo is the only one I can find any link too

2/28/2018 9:39:46 PM #15

Posted By Hieronymus at 10:26 AM - Wed Feb 28 2018

>

We're all writing in English. I really really hope we won't be expected to learn fictional languages just so we can understand and pronounce words.

Maybe you won't have to but your character will need to learn other languages if they plan to travel around much.