COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SELENE GENERAL
Tournament and Entertainment in Latium

I would like to share with you all a list of Entertainments that we will organize in my Duchy of Latium. The list as been put together from all members. This sports will be organize under the form of Tournaments or Medieval Olympics . The idea is to have an Arena and/or a field where different teams can play and compete against each other doing war games. We took ideas from the European Medieval Tournaments very popular from the 12th to 18th century.

The Origins : Medieval equestrian warfare, and equestrian practice, did hark back to Roman antiquity, just as the notion of chivalry harked back to the rank of equites in Roman times. There may be an element of continuity connecting the medieval tournament to the hippika gymnasia of the Roman cavalry, but due to the scarcity of written records during the 5th to 8th centuries this is difficult to establish. It is known that such cavalry games were central to military training in the Carolingian Empire, with records of Louis and Charles' military games at Worms in 843. At this event, recorded by Nithard, the initial chasing and fleeing was followed by a general mêlée of all combatants.

List of discipline :

Jousting; Jousting is a martial game or hastilude between two horsemen wielding lances with blunted tips, often as part of a tournament. The primary aim was to replicate a clash of heavy cavalry, with each participant trying hard to strike the opponent while riding towards him at high speed, if possible breaking the lance on the opponent's shield or jousting armour, or unhorsing him.

" Triathlon Duel ". The category consists of three rounds with the use of different weapons. The first round lasts one and a half minutes, longswords are used, the second round is held with the use of usual swords and buckler shields, three bouts up to three hits, and the third round lasts a minute and a half with the use of the standard shield and sword. Points are awarded for effective (a clear, stout) blow delivered with the weapon edge to the allowed zone.

Mounted Melee: The "melee" is the "mass tournament" where two teams of horsemen clashed in formation. The aim is to smash into the enemy in massed formation, with the aim of throwing them back or breaking their ranks. Most tournaments continue till both sides are exhausted, or till the light fade. A few could end earlier. Prizes will be offer to the best knight on either side, and award during the meals from the Duke.

Foot Melee (All vs all): The same rules applies to the Foot Melee where two teams of warrior on foot fight each other till only one remains. "All vs all" are the largest mass battles. All fighters of all participating Kingdoms come to the lists. The participants are divided into equal groups, but in such a way that the representatives of one Kingdom are in the same group. A fighter is out of battle if he falls down. Points are awarded to the Kingdom ( Duchy or County) teams that are members of the winning side.

5/5/2018 6:57:07 AM #1

This sounds wonderful I hope that it turns out amazing for you and the participants ^.^

5/5/2018 8:19:29 AM #2

Great idea, Gaius. Something to lift people's spirits and allow the most formidable warriors of the realm to show off their skills. I'll have a front row seat, to enjoy the splinters of clashing lances and clangor of steel.

5/5/2018 9:41:59 AM #3

Nice writeup i like it, definitely will watch it at some point.

5/5/2018 10:07:55 AM #4

Who will be the most famous among all the Knights ? Glory, Fame, Money and Immortality awaits You. Fight for honour? Fight for Love? Fight for your Kingdom? or just for Your own Pride? any reason is good . Only one will be crown Champion, only will be remember for ever..... That one could be You.......

5/5/2018 11:32:06 AM #5

Just make sure there's enough stalls with food and count me in :P, can't watch on empty stomach

5/5/2018 11:54:13 AM #6

Yes man I will participate as well my Partner (IRL) the Duchess of Latium will do the Patron. I will not miss it for nothing in this World....

Everyone bring your Flags... and your team, I will host everyone in Rome. Future Enemies and future allies , during the Tournament all wars will stop and safe passage will be given to anyone in and out Latium.

5/10/2018 1:26:18 PM #7

Sounds like a whole lot of fun :)

Will there be gambling involved for those who are less gifted in the art of combat?

5/12/2018 8:32:52 AM #8

I would love it yes, gambling would make it more realistic. I need to find someone to organise the bet cash in and cash out. Yes great idea thanks a lot.

5/12/2018 12:20:34 PM #9

Sounds exiting. I would surely participate. We nobles have to get our fat bellies out off our chairs and exercise.

5/12/2018 12:24:26 PM #10

“I don't fight in tournaments because when I fight a man for real, I don't want him to know what I can do.”– Lord Eddard Stark

Alt text - can be left blank

5/12/2018 6:57:06 PM #11

Winning a Tournament give you glory, winning a battle gives you immortality. ( Duke Gaivs)

10/19/2019 12:36:40 PM #12

Aeterna Stronghold will have 2 Arena fully functional to host one gladiators fight and the other, with the adding of a nice big statue in the middle, Charriot Race like in the Circus Maximus in Rome. The idea is to build ( if possible ) a Justing ground in front of the 2 Arena with a nice festive ground to eat and drink. This will turn the whole area into a amazing place to have fun. The Zafari Zoo will be as close as possible as well.

United we will have Fun..... 😂

Your Best/Worst Duke Gaius Augustus Aquila.

10/21/2019 2:59:46 PM #13

+1