COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What does the new EU-GDPR mean for CoE. Will EU players still have access?

The European Union is going to update their "General Data Protection Regulation" (GDPR) at May 25th. The new data privacy act, will be the most comprehensive protection of private data world wide.

Something good, that comes at a cost!

Unlike the bigger companies, like Activision Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony etc. who have worked for month and payed quite some money, to implement all things needed to still do business in Europe, some smaller companies already waved the white flag.

That is why some smaller ones are going to terminate their service for European players due to the GDPR, like Warpportal (Ragnarok Online) and Uberent Entertainment (Super Monday Night Combat). More companies, especially small Indie Teams are going to follow. (sorce)

What does the GDPR mean for us EU players, when it comes to the future of Chronicles of Elyria?

5/10/2018 3:04:54 PM #31

Posted By Wolffje at 4:17 PM - Thu May 10 2018

Posted By Zunjin at 4:00 PM - Thu May 10 2018

Posted By Wolfje at 3:51 PM - Thu May 10 2018

>But of course the government thinks they know better than you.

The market had time enough to regulate it self, but it failed!

Why are you misquoting me?

Just a mistake. :)

5/13/2018 1:20:16 PM #32

There is still significant question whether the EU will be able to enforce the GDPR against companies with no actual presence within the EU.

They tried to solve this be adding a requirement that if a company "knowingly" intends to market within the EU, they must establish a representative within the EU, presumably to receive any legal actions including fines.

Problem is, they can't actually force anyone to do this anymore than insure any fines levied can be collected.

It seems they left the actual enforcement provisions outside of the GDPR with references basically saying according to international agreements which will be determined later.

Such agreements may never come. For example, the EU considers IP addresses to be private data, the US doesn't. Will a US judge or legal entity actually agree to enforce this, that's for a future court to decide.

Some point out generally the US and EU cooperate on reciprocal agreements. It was also noted German courts normally frown on US court punitive damages as recently happened to Blizzard and their judgement against the cheat software firm located in Germany.

I found two pretty good articles/ discussion threads on this subject, and clearly this is in the realm of something which should be dealt with under the advice of competent legal counsel.

Bottom line is, its quite possible smaller firms like Soulbound might not have to really comply, because enforcement actions will likely be centered around larger firms with an EU presence.

Might want to consider moving that German website outside of the EU, or they may end up designated as the representative.

Edit, unfortunately I lack the necessary influence to share the URLs here. I may provide them on another site if anyone is interested as this is a good topic.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

5/13/2018 7:18:55 PM #33

For me it means a bizillion e-mails updating privacy practices.

5/17/2018 3:01:16 PM #34

There's a lot of good and bad to this, but it's been necessary for a long time and it's the start of something that has to happen for the common good. After decades of being shafted on the privacy front, I'm glad to see that something non-trivial is finally happening to start balancing the scales.

I haven't read into it, so I don't know the finer points of how it might affect the rolling-out of the game in the EU. At face value, though, it doesn't seem like it would affect much in the game itself, unless cookies are somehow incorporated into the game client as an identifier (beyond the login screen).

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

5/17/2018 4:29:59 PM #35

Obviously we should just delete EU.

5/17/2018 4:32:56 PM #36

Posted By mickdude2 at 11:29 AM - Thu May 17 2018

Obviously we should just delete EU.

EUxit or Nukeit?

5/18/2018 9:09:14 AM #37

@Kyleran,

You can type the URLs, I believe. You only lack the influence to turn them into live links.

5/18/2018 9:32:21 AM #38

Posted By Poldano at 11:09 AM - Fri May 18 2018

@Kyleran,

You can type the URLs, I believe. You only lack the influence to turn them into live links.

Sharing content from an early access or 10K forum is against the rules. Don't do it. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. Even an url to these sections is wrong.

5/18/2018 10:26:52 AM #39

Posted By Kyleran at 3:20 PM - Sun May 13 2018

There is still significant question whether the EU will be able to enforce the GDPR against companies with no actual presence within the EU.

They tried to solve this be adding a requirement that if a company "knowingly" intends to market within the EU, they must establish a representative within the EU, presumably to receive any legal actions including fines.

Problem is, they can't actually force anyone to do this anymore than insure any fines levied can be collected.

It seems they left the actual enforcement provisions outside of the GDPR with references basically saying according to international agreements which will be determined later.

Such agreements may never come. For example, the EU considers IP addresses to be private data, the US doesn't. Will a US judge or legal entity actually agree to enforce this, that's for a future court to decide.

Some point out generally the US and EU cooperate on reciprocal agreements. It was also noted German courts normally frown on US court punitive damages as recently happened to Blizzard and their judgement against the cheat software firm located in Germany.

I found two pretty good articles/ discussion threads on this subject, and clearly this is in the realm of something which should be dealt with under the advice of competent legal counsel.

Bottom line is, its quite possible smaller firms like Soulbound might not have to really comply, because enforcement actions will likely be centered around larger firms with an EU presence.

Might want to consider moving that German website outside of the EU, or they may end up designated as the representative.

Edit, unfortunately I lack the necessary influence to share the URLs here. I may provide them on another site if anyone is interested as this is a good topic.

Actually there is the EU-US Privacy Shield. US based companies can apply for certification with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission). Once certified these companies will be bound to the GDPR and the FTC will enforce the GDPR on them or rather the framework of the Privacy Shield. So an American court will need to take the GDPR into account if companies are certified.

What I am seeing now is that many EU based Data Controllers will simply refuse to work with any US based company unless they have a Privacy Shield certification. One of my clients is a reseller for various US based online services and we are getting non-stop questions about whether my client's US based suppliers are certified for Privacy Shield.

Its an easy solution for the EU. Just fine anyone based in the EU who is working with uncertified US based companies into bankruptcy.

I can also envision the EU adopting more rules to force all US based companies operating in the EU to certify for Privacy Shield or face fines, commercial exclusion and/or other barriers to doing business in the EU. This is just the beginning. The GDPR can and will be tweaked further as time goes on.

5/18/2018 11:04:00 AM #40

Posted By Ilyria at 03:32 AM - Fri May 18 2018

Posted By Poldano at 11:09 AM - Fri May 18 2018

@Kyleran,

Sharing content from an early access or 10K forum is against the rules. Don't do it. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. Even an url to these sections is wrong.

He lacks the influence to post a hyperlink unless it is to a link that is from the CoE website. It requires 250 influence to post a hyperlink to a link that is outside CoE's website. It's not a 10k or early access link. Also, you're allowed to share those links as long as it doesn't have anything NDA in the title, however it may be best to just not share them at all as you stated.

In other news, this topic is actually pretty interesting to see how things are changing and evolving in different parts of the world and I hope this doesn't stop them from having an EU server and promoting in EU. I look forward and am hopeful to the success that there will continue to be promotion in EU with an EU server

5/19/2018 11:43:35 AM #41

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 1:04 PM - Fri May 18 2018

In other news, this topic is actually pretty interesting to see how things are changing and evolving in different parts of the world and I hope this doesn't stop them from having an EU server and promoting in EU. I look forward and am hopeful to the success that there will continue to be promotion in EU with an EU server

It shouldn't stop them from having an EU server, but there are some hurdles they will need to take. It's a bit of a headache now but once everything is in place there should be no further complications.

In Europe most companies and even governments are in a frenzy about the GDPR. Basically nobody is ready and nobody will make the May 25th deadline. Everyone has been putting it off for the past 1,5 year and now in the last month they have realized the hour is late and they still need to start implementing. I am having the craziest few weeks in my work I have had for a long, long time.

5/25/2018 5:18:32 PM #42

We have updated our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

For more details, see Caspian's post.

Thank you.

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

5/28/2018 12:30:18 PM #43

Posted By Wolffje at 12:43 PM - Sat May 19 2018

It shouldn't stop them from having an EU server, but there are some hurdles they will need to take. It's a bit of a headache now but once everything is in place there should be no further complications.

In Europe most companies and even governments are in a frenzy about the GDPR. Basically nobody is ready and nobody will make the May 25th deadline. Everyone has been putting it off for the past 1,5 year and now in the last month they have realized the hour is late and they still need to start implementing. I am having the craziest few weeks in my work I have had for a long, long time.

So there is both of us mate. Just like I mentioned this in original post about GDPR, as long as SBS can prove that they are implementing systems to protect data they will be fine. BUT from what I see they are not even ready to implement such a thing. And also I have noticed that www.chroniclesofelyria.com is not secured either which means personal data might be mishandled.

EU - Server >Friend Code: 72983B

5/28/2018 4:12:39 PM #44

Posted By Heartagram at 08:30 AM - Mon May 28 2018

Posted By Wolffje at 12:43 PM - Sat May 19 2018

So there is both of us mate. Just like I mentioned this in original post about GDPR, as long as SBS can prove that they are implementing systems to protect data they will be fine. BUT from what I see they are not even ready to implement such a thing. And also I have noticed that www.chroniclesofelyria.com is not secured either which means personal data might be mishandled.

SbS is GDPR compliant.