COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Political Simulators/games

Are there games/simulators that can help me understand realistic political hierarchies and political maneuvering? I am just looking for something to kill time and understand the political side of things more.

7/17/2018 10:29:59 PM #1

Have you played Crusader Kings 2? That's a very popular game that would expose you to those kinds of things. An alternative to playing games is reading books like Game of Thrones or watching shows like The Tudors. All excellent sources to draw knowledge and inspiration from.

7/17/2018 10:42:08 PM #2

Crusader Kings is actually a very educational fun game. Don't let that "educational" put you off. It's a game which is fun to do but almost impossible to win. Actually, you don't have to win like a normal game the conventional way. All you have to do is guide your dynasty through the ages as a smart king. Very easy :P

7/18/2018 2:04:59 AM #3

The others have mentioned Crusader Kings 2. While I consider it one of my personal favourites, CK2 is more inclined to the PERSONAL side of politics, focusing on intrigue and character based relations. Europa Universalis IV is more focused on the strategic side of things, having international relations based strictly between empires. Suming up, CK2 you will play the monarch, EU4 you will play the Empire. Apart from these 2 Grand Strategy games, you should look into a game called Democracy 3. It's the best government/political simulator I've found so far.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

7/18/2018 5:10:41 AM #4

Play any Paradox game, then realize the choices you make will also be subject to the whim of the unpredictable players in CoE. CK2 and EU4 can simulate 'pick the best logical decision for your realm', but CoE will have the additional burden of trying to predict the capricious crowds.

7/18/2018 9:11:59 AM #5

Problem with most political games (even Paradox games which are great) is that they lack depth when it comes to people management because the AI can't handle complex negotiations and treaties.

Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to volunteer at some events or agencies and watch the social hierarchies form among the various self-indulgent do-gooders that charity events and agencies tend to attract. Bonus points if you can manipulate them into self destruction.

Coming Soon(tm)

7/18/2018 12:05:53 PM #6

Thank you for all the advice. This was more promising than I had hoped. I will definitely try out CK2 since this seemed to be a highlight and Ill look into Democracy as well.

I do have tudors on netflix so I can watch that too.

Alas, I am not sure i have time to join any additional organization. Work, school, and Gym life consume my time so I barely have time to game in between. Sound advice though.

7/18/2018 1:31:41 PM #7

If you like singleplayer games I would definitely suggest The Council, a great game with a lot of intrigue, but a linear story :>

CK2 is a great game for the political aspects of it, but like many other have said, the game falls a bit short when it comes to managing your settlement/land, sure there's some things set in place, but it's focus lies in the political landscape, your character development etc.

For political series (besides the ones that've been mentioned):

• Versailles, interesting series, it got a few interesting political plots, not too much fluff and "young drama" like reign for example (only watch that for the clothes.

• Harlots, not really your usual "political drama" when you think intrigue etc. but it's a more lower class political series, or that's the vibe I get from it anyway.

7/18/2018 3:42:43 PM #8

"King of Dragon Pass" is said to be a great ruler simulator.

You have to make harsh decisions with their outcome unfolding much later.

7/25/2018 11:18:08 PM #9

Posted By Turlorn at 10:42 AM - Wed Jul 18 2018

"King of Dragon Pass" is said to be a great ruler simulator.

You have to make harsh decisions with their outcome unfolding much later.

I will have to check that out. That is a new title I have not heard yet. Thanks!