COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Nobles Locked to Majority Tribe Question

Good Afternoon SBS,

I was wondering if it would be possible to get clarification on what is meant by Nobles have to be the majority tribe of the biome they pick as a noble. My question comes out of a concern for nobles that place in transition biomes, as well as the general mechanics behind having to be a particular tribe for the Nobles where as the Aristocracy has more ability to choose. I am wondering if this is a mechanical limitation or more of a "most likely" type limitation.

I'll bring up my own case in point, but will also point out that on the maps there are ALOT of transitional biome duchies.

Lets say for example I was a double King, and I choose Kingdom 1 and 2 on map N. As a King the majority tribe in this Kingdom configuration is Hrothi. Am I obligated in this Kingdom configuration as a King to pick a Hrothi Biome for my duchy and a Hrothi settlement as my city, IE is my choice limited to only those options or is the requirement that my King character either has to be Neran, Hrothi, or Brudvir (one of the main tribes of that Kingdom)?

Further as a King in that Kingdom if I were to, say for example, choose this Duchy, a county in this area, and a City here (see image below)

Would I, placing a settlement in this location, in what seems to be a very transitional biome, in a very transitional duchy, have the choice of choosing either Neran or Hrothi as the King of this Kingdom?

The same could be true of a number of transition biome duchies. case in point this one that is labeled as in the Taiga but seems to be more Hrothi.

In this duchy, though it is in Taiga, it looks like there is alot of mountain in this oddly shaped duchy. If the Duke were to place in the south of this duchy one would think they would be able to get a full Hrothi settlement and be able to choose Hrothi as their tribe.

Can we get some additional clairification on how this selection would work? As of yet the only way that I can think that the nobles would be more restricted than a Mayor is if they are limited on what settlements they will be able to choose at the settlement level of domain selection. Or that perhaps we are only talking about Nobility being limited to the major tribes in a Kingdom, meaning if there were a minority of say Kypiq in their settlement that they selected while a Mayor as aristocracy could choose to be a Kypiq in that settlement a Count or above would have to choose one of the major tribes of that Kingdom or area.

I feel that this is an important consideration for people to look into as they are doing their mock domain selections leading up to domain selection.

If you have additional examples like this one:

would a Duke in this duchy be able to select a Neran as their leader as this is a transitional biome from Shrublands to Grasslands and Neran are a Major tribe in Kingdom 3, Map N?

Please feel free to share your questions or clarifications on this subject as well!

"Pledged to the betterment of the Studio and CoE through realistic, open, honest communication about what players can and will do with the mechanics you give them."

Come follow me on Twitch for CoE News and general hangout stuff n things! https://www.twitch.tv/adamrhyne

11/11/2018 10:39:51 PM #1

A quote from Caspian from the Soulchamber

Caspian05/11/2017

King/Queen: Must be from the dominant tribe of the biome which is their Seat of Power.

Duke / Duchess: Must be from the dominant tribe of their biome.

Count / Countess: Must be from one of the dominant tribes of the biome their county resides in

Mayor / Baron: Can be any tribe found within the settlement they govern.

Gentry / Adventurers: Bloodline / Tribe is based solely on the family they join.

The above rule applies to Exposition, however KoE can be used by Mayors / Barons or even Counts to seed their region with different bloodlines.

End of Quote

So that seems to suggest that if you place your duchy/seat of power in the Neran biome you would be a Neran King, as technically the duchies are 3 and the one you are placing in is the Neran one.

As for the transitional questions, that is a really interesting question. It does say above the dominant tribe of the biome, so it would depend on what the game considers the most dominant, which for the most part I would assume is that tribe of that biome(which off the maps that can be found).

I am not a dev though, so this is just my thoughts on the information we currently have. I am interested to see what the devs say :)

11/11/2018 10:41:54 PM #2

Maybe they won't force it to be that way. We will see but i hope that everyone could be satisfied with how things end up

The nicest pig in the world and a little cute.

11/11/2018 10:44:57 PM #3

Woot looking forward to an answer to this question. Caspian did say this question needed to be asked on the forums as it would be more than what he could answer in the chat section of The Town Crier.

11/11/2018 10:51:23 PM #4

Does this limit nobility to being that of "pure blood"?

Unable to be a crossbred child of say a Neran and Brudvir?

11/11/2018 10:53:41 PM #5

No @TheLlama it is only for your first character. What you do with your bloodline after that is completely up to you.

"Pledged to the betterment of the Studio and CoE through realistic, open, honest communication about what players can and will do with the mechanics you give them."

Come follow me on Twitch for CoE News and general hangout stuff n things! https://www.twitch.tv/adamrhyne

11/11/2018 11:20:31 PM #6

Another good example on N Does that duchy have only Hrothi Counts? Would a duke that placed there be hrothi?

11/11/2018 11:27:59 PM #7

This is a fantastic question. I wish we had this clarity prior to selecting the maps, however I view it as a "must know" prior to Domain Selection.

To tag on to this (or further muddy the waters), is it the dominant tribe as of domain selection, the dominant tribe after KoE, or based purely on which biome is actually the largest in the duchy regardless of which tribe is the actual majority?

In other words, given the ability to immigrate tribes and play a bit with the breeding, there is the potential for certain tribes to lose "majority status", particularly in the transition biomes. I know it is touched on in Apetus' quote, but I think that with the transitional biomes (about which the information is already a bit vague) the potential for the majority tribe not necessarily matching the majority biome is possible even at the duchy level.

I look forward to the answer on this!

Imgur

11/11/2018 11:36:52 PM #8

I honestly think nobility should be able to pick any of the dominant tribes within their domain, not be restricted by the biome the town is specifically sitting in. Reasonably speaking, in most cases each domain is going to be homogeneous enough, or closely knit enough, that the majority of it's denizens should have little problem following a leader of one of the tribes within that domain. This gives more freedom for folks in both the transitional biomes, and those of us with merged domains that will cover more area, so they don't have to worry as much about specifically where in their domain their seat is so they don't get stuck with one tribe or the other. If the tribe is a significant presence in the domain as a whole, why should the noble not be able to be one?

11/11/2018 11:49:17 PM #9

Posted By Arisilde at 11:36 PM - Sun Nov 11 2018

I honestly think nobility should be able to pick any of the dominant tribes within their domain, not be restricted by the biome the town is specifically sitting in. Reasonably speaking, in most cases each domain is going to be homogeneous enough, or closely knit enough, that the majority of it's denizens should have little problem following a leader of one of the tribes within that domain. This gives more freedom for folks in both the transitional biomes, and those of us with merged domains that will cover more area, so they don't have to worry as much about specifically where in their domain their seat is so they don't get stuck with one tribe or the other. If the tribe is a significant presence in the domain as a whole, why should the noble not be able to be one?

I get what you are saying. Imagine im Duke and in my Duchy the majority of the citizens are nerans I dont think i should be able to pick Hrothi even if there are some trasition biomes with alot of Hrothi in there! The same should happen to the count level e.t.c

Either way this intrigues me! I wanna know call the devs :)

2lazy41

11/12/2018 1:24:19 AM #10

Posted By Mykonn at 5:49 PM - Sun Nov 11 2018

Posted By Arisilde at 11:36 PM - Sun Nov 11 2018

I get what you are saying. Imagine im Duke and in my Duchy the majority of the citizens are nerans I dont think i should be able to pick Hrothi even if there are some trasition biomes with alot of Hrothi in there! The same should happen to the count level e.t.c

Either way this intrigues me! I wanna know call the devs :)

I disagree honestly. They should let folks pick those things and then have to deal with the repercussions imo.

11/12/2018 1:36:04 AM #11

I don't think the point is to limit players in their choices, but that at launch certain things are flexible and certain things are not.

Kings, Dukes, and Counts have Incomparably long family histories compared to Mayors and Village elders which can literally pop up overnight.

It makes no sense from a Lore standpoint to allow the King of any one area to be of a tribe that doesn't exist in that area.
How did he get there?
Where are the rest of his tribe?
They can't have this huge gap at start, or attempt to patch all those holes.

After launch though, we will be writing the story ourselves.
How did that King get there? Oh well the previous king, crazy bastard, made a ward of the state his heir! Drama ensues, etc.

I am not arguing against this post!

Some things like transition biomes and etc. make sense and are valid questions.

This is just a general "In some cases it doesn't make sense" position I am explaining for those that ask.

11/12/2018 5:30:34 AM #12

In my opinion almost anything can make sense. In RL history, ruling classes -- nobles and aristocracy -- were often composed primarily of minorities descended from prior invaders. So, while it's probably not reasonable to expect a Brudvir nobility in a tropical jungle, it is reasonable to expect that a transition biome could have a lord from any of the significantly populous tribes in the domain or even in the liege's domain or the kingdom.

Seacoasts present another challenge to orthodoxy. Historically, coastal domains can quickly change hands to a group that possesses superior naval power. It's not unreasonable for coastal counties and duchies, then, to have a ruling class from heavily seagoing tribes.

Because all these can be considered potential historical facts, it would in turn not be unreasonable for royal houses and nobility in general to be of mixed blood from the start of gameplay. Of course, each specific instance would have to be judge by the definite history of the region in order to determine exactly how reasonable it is. Perhaps KoE could involve setting the stage for such determinations.

A serious counterargument, of course, is that players often make up the most preposterous lore to justify their preferences. I can definitely appreciate the benefit of rules that seek to mitigate this tendency.

11/12/2018 5:46:18 AM #13

Well I guess if SBS wanted to make some money off this they could always do race tokens. Maybe make them by kingdom since each one has already established races.

Did you get stuck in that awful kypiq area? Now you can be their Waerd or Neran overlord as god intended!

"Life...is strength. This is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world." - Jon Irenicus

11/12/2018 5:59:39 AM #14

Store-bought race tokens are a fairly bad idea. They could be a good way of adding some stochastic variability to noble bloodlines, however, if they are based on historical events that are either part of lore or that players participate in through KoE.

11/12/2018 12:10:24 PM #15

Posted By Poldano at 1:30 PM - Mon Nov 12 2018

In my opinion almost anything can make sense. In RL history, ruling classes -- nobles and aristocracy -- were often composed primarily of minorities descended from prior invaders. So, while it's probably not reasonable to expect a Brudvir nobility in a tropical jungle, it is reasonable to expect that a transition biome could have a lord from any of the significantly populous tribes in the domain or even in the liege's domain or the kingdom.

Seacoasts present another challenge to orthodoxy. Historically, coastal domains can quickly change hands to a group that possesses superior naval power. It's not unreasonable for coastal counties and duchies, then, to have a ruling class from heavily seagoing tribes.

Because all these can be considered potential historical facts, it would in turn not be unreasonable for royal houses and nobility in general to be of mixed blood from the start of gameplay. Of course, each specific instance would have to be judge by the definite history of the region in order to determine exactly how reasonable it is. Perhaps KoE could involve setting the stage for such determinations.

A serious counterargument, of course, is that players often make up the most preposterous lore to justify their preferences. I can definitely appreciate the benefit of rules that seek to mitigate this tendency.

Hmmm... I wonder how weard it would be for yoru king to be speaking in French while the peasants speak in English. I mean imagine the confusion with mutton and lamb initially. Hrothible trying to understand each other.

BTW, I like the idea of importing new blood into the nobility during KoE.

"See- I have taken England with Brudvir hands!"