COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Tribal Armor Concept: Hrothic Heavy Armor (Coat of Plates)

Hail Elyrians!

And thank you for joining us for another shiny moment! Since we shared light and medium versions of some Hrothic armor last week, we figured we would round out the set with the heavy incarnation of the same armor style. Have a look:

I noticed in some of the feedback last week that there were concerns about the fact that these armor styles are using what appear to be linked, but not overlapping plates. I just wanted to say: That's a great concern to voice. One of you noticed that you can't actually see through the spaces between the plates in those images, and supposed that this meant they weren't actually free standing at all but were backed by some other material such as leather. I wanted to confirm that that was the case.

Those plates actually were split and free moving in the concept art, but the problems with that were quickly noticed and so before the concept moved to the sculpt phase, the design was changed to make this armor style more like a coat of plates or brigandine than a curtain of tiles. This is, perhaps, more obvious in the heavy incarnation where most of the leather has been replaced by metal.

Of all of the starting tribes of Elyria, the Hrothi have the most experience working with metal. While this armor style is a style of heavy armor, it is not the only style you'll see the Hrothi wearing. Likewise, while this version shows steel, most Hrothi armor is actually made from Hrothic Alloy, an alloy of iron and metals only they, to date, have any reliable access to thanks to their experience with mining and delving. Hrothic Alloy performs very similarly to steel, but is lighter weight and has a reflective golden, or yellowish, appearance that is the source of most of the descriptions of Hrothic armies as "shining defenders."

Enjoy!

• Snipehunter
11/15/2018 8:55:01 PM #1

Very nice, keep it up!!! :D

Kernothia

11/15/2018 8:55:05 PM #2

Nice!!

11/15/2018 8:55:14 PM #3

A truly shiny shiny

11/15/2018 8:55:28 PM #4

Looking good :D

Kernothia

11/15/2018 8:55:50 PM #5

Love it. Excellent

Alt text - can be left blank

11/15/2018 8:56:15 PM #6

Looks amazing. Thanks to the design team.

11/15/2018 8:56:23 PM #7

Suhweet!

11/15/2018 8:56:36 PM #8

This is shiny indeed!

11/15/2018 8:56:54 PM #9

Nice!

Zaldara Blackstan, Count of Stíelanheorte Mayor of Blaecstanbury

11/15/2018 8:57:02 PM #10

I wonder what else you could make out of those little segments...

Alt text

11/15/2018 8:57:45 PM #11

Not bad not bad, but as future hrothi armorsmith I will definitely take a very different aproach when its about hrothi heavy armor - I hope I will have the room for that. I mean its cool in many ways, but really not my style at all.

11/15/2018 8:58:04 PM #12

very cool

11/15/2018 9:04:50 PM #13

Posted By Ectorr at 12:57 PM - Thu Nov 15 2018

Not bad not bad, but as future hrothi armorsmith I will definitely take a very different aproach when its about hrothi heavy armor - I hope I will have the room for that. I mean its cool in many ways, but really not my style at all.

This is definitely an example of a single style of armor. The Hrothi definitely make other types as well. And of course, nothing but knowing how stops your character from making armor from other culture styles and adding Hrothic flare in the crafting and embellishment processes!

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
11/15/2018 9:06:47 PM #14

Very shiny indeed!

I just got word that the Master of Coin of Anor, the Hrothi Master S. Olgwein, placed an order for their Treasury Guard.

11/15/2018 9:09:12 PM #15

Posted By Snipehunter at 10:04 PM - Thu Nov 15 2018

Posted By Ectorr at 12:57 PM - Thu Nov 15 2018

This is definitely an example of a single style of armor. The Hrothi definitely make other types as well. And of course, nothing but knowing how stops your character from making armor from other culture styles and adding Hrothic flare in the crafting and embellishment processes!

Hope that helps! :)

It does help a lot, thanks! And proves to me again, you guys are the real deal! Hail SBS!