COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What would you listen to?

I just thought of how people can choose whether they follow rules or not, so this got me thinking as to when people stop bothering to if they do have a threshold.

Personally, I ain't following any kind of curfews or trade bans. I am not turning in my arms either if I have them on me. I will probably conveniently forget to pay taxes and not put my name on the county register. Every time the tax collector comes I will say I have a different name, which should be good fun. I'm never joining a draft if it is orchestrated, but I may steal some stuff......

Anyways, this is just off the top of my head and I see that I'm not gonna be very good citizen apparently as I will probably barely listen.

EDIT: A lot of the responses right now are from the deviant side of things: an individual opposing laws and their resulting effects. I am also curious as to where those in power (or who plan to be hehe) would draw the line as I am interested in what people would define as tyrannical.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

11/30/2018 1:45:46 PM #1

You could possibly have a bad time of things. I am sure plenty of folks will have anarchistic leanings in game, after all, its just a game. You might find your actions starting to fall more in line once you start to build up some value for yourself. Breaking laws in such willy nilly fashion might land yourself in a position where you very quickly start seeing that value slipping out of your grasp as it is taken from you.

11/30/2018 1:48:29 PM #2

I'm the type of person and character player who would side with the law. My gameplay objectives are also best served when doing so. So that makes for a nice fit to me.

So, LukeSpyro, I guess your gameplay objectives are best served by you acting the way you describe above? Likely that will make your character have a life in Elyria filled with continuous exitement of some kind and periods of extreme distress and discomfort while being on the run, imprisoned or punished in more severe, psychologically tormenting ways. Hope you will get to enjoy it.

11/30/2018 2:07:46 PM #3

You want people to tell you if the will follow the law or not? My boss reads this too. I'll be good, oh yes, I'll be a good law abiding count :)

11/30/2018 2:23:41 PM #4

Posted By Ilyria at 09:07 AM - Fri Nov 30 2018

You want people to tell you if the will follow the law or not? My boss reads this too. I'll be good, oh yes, I'll be a good law abiding count :)

OOOOOOOF

I was seen through. Watch this one for he/she can see between lines.

11/30/2018 2:26:49 PM #5

It depends how severe people act when not following the rules, if you don't cause too much troubles by doing so, and just ignore rules - expect to be limited in your choices as well:

You don't want to give up weapons when entering city or tavern? then you don't get an entry.

You don't want to pay tax - don't complain when you lose your property.

You don't listen to anyone - don't expect to have many friends or people helping you.

If you go further and start causing trouble by stealing stuff, trying to force your way in, assault people - expect heavier punishment to come your way, because your acts and your preferred playstyle comes at the cost of others people enjoying the game.

That said, there is nothing wrong if you want to steal, act like a rebel and such, just manage your expectations as you're going into more "higher risk. higher reward" playstyle and people should not be offended when they get jailed, denied access or being mistrusted. Play your cards right and negative impact of your behavior may be minimized.

11/30/2018 2:43:09 PM #6

Posted By AlteOgre at 08:48 AM - Fri Nov 30 2018

I'm the type of person and character player who would side with the law. My gameplay objectives are also best served when doing so. So that makes for a nice fit to me.

So, LukeSpyro, I guess your game-play objectives are best served by you acting the way you describe above? Likely that will make your character have a life in Elyria filled with continuous excitement of some kind and periods of extreme distress and discomfort while being on the run, imprisoned or punished in more severe, psychologically tormenting ways. Hope you will get to enjoy it.

Not much in the means of punishment though... Outside of the time loss, I guess? I might get banned from areas at worst depending on what happens.

Hypothetically speaking of course

11/30/2018 2:45:47 PM #7

Posted By Abigor at 09:26 AM - Fri Nov 30 2018

It depends how severe people act when not following the rules, if you don't cause too much troubles by doing so, and just ignore rules - expect to be limited in your choices as well:

You don't want to give up weapons when entering city or tavern? then you don't get an entry.

You don't want to pay tax - don't complain when you lose your property.

You don't listen to anyone - don't expect to have many friends or people helping you.

If you go further and start causing trouble by stealing stuff, trying to force your way in, assault people - expect heavier punishment to come your way, because your acts and your preferred play style comes at the cost of others people enjoying the game.

That said, there is nothing wrong if you want to steal, act like a rebel and such, just manage your expectations as you're going into more "higher risk. higher reward" play style and people should not be offended when they get jailed, denied access or being mistrusted. Play your cards right and negative impact of your behavior may be minimized.

Perfectly logical. You are totally right in that I am not/ won't be taking this stuff personally or whatever as you would be justified in whatever you decide as it would be your "territory."

That doesn't I won't try to work around it, so we just compete to see who will be more successful in their endeavors.

11/30/2018 3:10:34 PM #8

I AM THE LAW

11/30/2018 6:02:53 PM #9

Posted By LukeSpyro at

I will probably conveniently forget to pay taxes and not put my name on the county register. Every time the tax collector comes I will say I have a different name, which should be good fun.

You're probably assuming a more modern-like tax system then. Medieval taxes is not something you can really hide from so easily.

If you are required to pay tax you most likely have land, if you don't have the money and claim you're not the owner the tax collector can just collect stuff from your property instead using his "bounty token".

And not paying tolls along roads means you might not be able to use tunnels, bridges and other convenient crossings.

Either way, since I'll be a lawmaker I would at least follow my own laws. If the higher domain holders make really restrictive laws that I don't agree with then I'll send my complaints, beyond that I dunno.

I generally play a chaotic good character in D&D-like games though where I see laws as guidelines, and not absolutes. As such I probably want my local court of law to go easier on crimes that was done as a result of a perceived necessity vs something done out of selfishness or carelessness. That doesn't mean there won't be any consequences though.

11/30/2018 7:21:36 PM #10

Posted By LukeSpyro at 07:43 AM - Fri Nov 30 2018

Posted By AlteOgre at 08:48 AM - Fri Nov 30 2018

So, LukeSpyro, I guess your game-play objectives are best served by you acting the way you describe above? Likely that will make your character have a life in Elyria filled with continuous excitement of some kind and periods of extreme distress and discomfort while being on the run, imprisoned or punished in more severe, psychologically tormenting ways. Hope you will get to enjoy it.

Not much in the means of punishment though... Outside of the time loss, I guess? I might get banned from areas at worst depending on what happens.

Keep in mind that loss of game play time off of a spark means you won't be able to level your skills as much or as high. Say you only cut off a quarter of your life getting punished for deviant/law breaking things, that's a quarter of your skill training/ramp you don't get to add to and take with you to your next life through skill ramps. Some people won't mind that, so I guess you'd have to determine how valuable that is to you.

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

11/30/2018 7:22:06 PM #11

Posted By TheCoz at 01:10 AM - Sat Dec 01 2018

I AM THE LAW

...that was not a vocal line I needed to remember... XD

Posted By LukeSpyro at 12:43 AM - Sat Dec 01 2018

...well, this depends, really. I mean, skill loss is a thing. And people might be neglecting to consider just what skill loss affects. It doesn't sound like much, at face value. But when you consider that things like your combat techniques, your stances, your ability to wear armour (and use certain weapons at all), your crafting proficiency (and therefore ability to craft certain things at all), possibly even your base stats might be affected by getting sentenced, depending on the severity of your crimes and the length of your rap sheet...

How do you think it would feel, after months of play building up your skill ramps, to suddenly, effectively, be a fresh soul again - with only half a life remaining to recover your progress? Or to be caught ignoring the law so often that you never actually make any progress on your skills at all, because it keeps getting deleted?

And that's not factoring in the confiscation of your wealth and assets to pay for all those neglected taxes ;P

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

11/30/2018 11:57:51 PM #12

I believe I keep the skill ramps though, even if they "rust" due to incarceration?

I don't mind starting over as that's just the game. You will do it sooner or later.

12/1/2018 12:00:10 AM #13

Eh. Do u boo. There's probably others out there that respect your choices.

12/1/2018 12:16:58 AM #14

Posted By LukeSpyro at 4:57 PM - Fri Nov 30 2018

I believe I keep the skill ramps though, even if they "rust" due to incarceration?

I don't mind starting over as that's just the game. You will do it sooner or later.

You get a skill ramp % due to your skill level at the time of your death in your next life. Your skills increase or degrade according to your use. Meaning if you use them only occasionally and you only get to novice, you don't get a skill ramp in the next life. Or if you get to say master, but then don't use it and it degrades back to apprentice before you die, you don't get the skill ramp of master in your next life.

Also, if you had say 10 months of playtime as a hard working, law abiding citizen who took a few risks but worked on the same set of skills, your skills would be much higher than your proposed deviant who only lived 6 months of play time and spent some of that time not even developing their skills but just on the run.

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

12/1/2018 12:48:21 AM #15

Posted By Dariusacmar at 7:16 PM - Fri Nov 30 2018

Posted By LukeSpyro at 4:57 PM - Fri Nov 30 2018

You get a skill ramp % due to your skill level at the time of your death in your next life. Your skills increase or degrade according to your use. Meaning if you use them only occasionally and you only get to novice, you don't get a skill ramp in the next life. Or if you get to say master, but then don't use it and it degrades back to apprentice before you die, you don't get the skill ramp of master in your next life.

Also, if you had say 10 months of playtime as a hard working, law abiding citizen who took a few risks but worked on the same set of skills, your skills would be much higher than your proposed deviant who only lived 6 months of play time and spent some of that time not even developing their skills but just on the run.

Ah I see, thank you for clarification.