COMMUNITY - FORUMS - OCEANUS GENERAL
Waerd Promo

Why the Waerd?

The Waerd are by far the most internationally underestimated tribe across all of CoE.

My name is Prometheus. I’ve been a supporter of CoE for many years now in the Oceanus region. Having thoroughly researched and participated in many, many discussions with the community, I’ve found an interest in the Waerd tribe more than any other. I’ve also found a great injustice towards the perceptions of the Waerd tribe that I hope to somewhat improve upon in this forum post.

The Waerd of Oceanus are a small group, mostly lacking in growth due to a lack of interest in the finer details of the tribe, and the biomes the Waerd inhabit. I believe the Waerd to be a great tribe, who will contribute to their respective kingdoms, while also being extremely fun to play due to the depth of their culture.

Community:

The strongest focus for the Waerd is their sense of community, and their unique ability to directly contribute to every member of a settlement. While the Waerd are still able to accrue some personal wealth, they are instead focused more on helping the tribe and their region as a whole, building a strength that is far above that of the individual. Even settlements not comprised entirely of Waerd can benefit from Waerd allies and the strengths they bring. A Waerd is never alone, no matter what the circumstances. A Waerd is never without food or shelter, or water.

Military:

The Waerd military is uniquely conniving in their operation. The Waerd fight dirty. Instead of monotonous battles with exposed and obvious standing armies, the Waerd are setting ambushes and targeting supply lines to starve the soldiers out. While everyone else focuses on standing armies, and glorious battles, the Waerd aim for crucial targets, with an army comprised of skirmishers and assassins, they move behind enemy lines wreaking havoc. We also bring our communal behavior into battle, we fight as equals with the same goal. With no leader to kill, the morale of a skirmish force can’t be broken. The Waerd ability to broker information and instantly share it among family members, makes them excellent scouts, explorers, traders, spies and assassins, who can immediately relay critical new information back to their home settlement. In a game with thousands of players with tens of thousands of things happening at once, the ability to transfer information immediately will have a major influence towards how war is conducted

Culture:

The Waerd desert lands are reminiscent of the Australian Outback and their way of life almost completely unique and adapted to their arid lands. Yet they also have underneath them a culture more familiar, that of Arabia. For role-players wanting a taste of the Arabian Nights, or even a harsher desert survival feel, the Waerd are the perfect tribe. Even when located outside of their arid biomes, the Waerd are soft spoken, gentle, fluid and graceful in their own way. A society dedicated to balance in the world. Maintained through oral storytelling and song.

Environment:

The Semi-Arid desert and shrublands provide a hostile environment the tribe is perfectly suited for. This provides some measure of safety from hostile invasions. The rugged terrain of the Arid regions also provides further difficulty for those with hostile intentions toward the Waerd. Yet the region is full of exotic good to produce and trade. The Waerd have learned to craft items other lands lack access too. This makes the Waerd excellent traders and craftsmen that are difficult to steal from. The environment itself also presents a challenge for extreme survivalists, wanting to test their ability to live off the land.

The strength of the wolf is the Pack. Fight with honour.

4/10/2019 3:00:18 AM #1

I am personally interested in the Waerd for their strong sense of community and dedication to one another. It might take a generation or two, but I hope to get the Waerd to majority tribe in my area.

Great post Kalmerus!

4/10/2019 3:15:13 AM #2

Much love from a waerd fan who hopes to spread the waerd community from the NA-W

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

4/10/2019 6:09:33 AM #3

Great to see some Waerd

"If we wait until we are ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives..." code: CD83B4

4/10/2019 6:25:08 AM #4

the only thing with the waerd that makes me not like them is their weird killing fetish and their annoying need to impose their religious idea of how the world should work on other tribes.

If they werent soooo in love with killing, I would consider playing them.

I like desert environments and I wanted to play a dark skinned tribe originally but the waerd are just too crazy for me. I have a problem with violent religious extremist.

4/10/2019 6:33:57 AM #5

Posted By MusaKn at 4:25 PM - Wed Apr 10 2019

the only thing with the waerd that makes me not like them is their weird killing fetish and their annoying need to impose their religious idea of how the world should work on other tribes.

I like desert environments and I wanted to play a dark skinned tribe originally but the waerd are just too crazy for me. I have a problem with violent religious extremist.

The Waerd do not have a "killing fetish". They are merely prepared to kill in order to maintain the balance and to defend their communities, preemptively if required.

A Waerd murder-hobo character would bring imbalance, and so would be frowned upon by all other Waerd.

4/10/2019 7:54:28 AM #6

All Waerd need to be prepared to kill, but taking life for the sake of taking life goes against the order of the Two Fold Queen.

4/10/2019 8:05:40 AM #7

I agreePosted By Pendulum at 11:09 PM - Tue Apr 09 2019

Great to see some Waerd

I agree

4/10/2019 1:11:53 PM #8

Posted By MusaKn at 3:55 PM - Wed Apr 10 2019

I feel, based on the tribal write-up and the lore piece we got a little while back, that the religious focus of the Waerd is going to be mostly directed at the greater powers out there (the ‘unbalancing forces’), not simply on individual players and other tribes.

Waerd are misunderstood by design and I guess those of us who choose them need to accept that burden to some degree. It will take a special type of people to want to take up that burden and follow a unique story path.

You might even be wishing for a few Waerd zealots to be nearby at some point!

4/10/2019 3:14:21 PM #9

The only thing that concerns me about going waerd is the fact that without a group I feel as though they won't be as fun or do as well. If CoE doesn't pull good numbers, ending up with npc waerd tribe or just a small tribe doesn't sound fun. I already know people who are going waerd and leaving the settlement after creation. I see a lot of people doing that especially when they run out of room for other tribes and newcomers have to be waerd. If you couple all the reasons people will leave waerd with a low population, waerd tribes could be in tribe.

4/10/2019 3:28:40 PM #10

That is a valid concern, and it is part of the reason why I made this post, I want to bring the Waerd to the attention of more players and try alleviate many of the misconceptions about the tribe that have worried people.

This thread also shows some players with titles who want to play as, or include the Waerd, which hopefully will help other players find groups to join.

4/11/2019 5:30:07 AM #11

The Waerd are a really interesting tribe. I absolutely love their lore, but in this particular case I'm definitely talking about how they work mechanically. Waerd settlements have a lot to offer new characters, their communal benefits and family-like settlements basically mean that Waerd newbies have an advantage as they learn new skills, and have access to the tools and crafting structures they need without having to search for them, make them, or buy them.

Given the same pool of information, and the same number of skilled characters in a Waerd settlement vs. a Neran settlement, and a new Waerd will very likely learn their skills faster than the Neran, despite Nerans being quick learners.

And when a Waerd does decide to leave the settlement? They remain connected, and can share their knowledge. Each Waerd that leaves, assuming they don't waste the connection, becomes a conduit of information from afar; a pair of eyes that benefits everyone.

But that works best when everyone agrees to work together; if you "roll Waerd and walk away" intent on never looking back, you're kind of buying a supercar to commute to work in. You might enjoy the drive, but you'll never realize how amazing that ride really is, that way.

• Snipehunter
4/11/2019 11:25:58 AM #12

Waerd certainly give me a bit of an identity crisis when choosing Dras. Thank goodness Dras and Waerd are allies so I dont have to feel like I am being unfaithful between my 2 loves

4/11/2019 11:41:55 AM #13

Absolutely amazing write up for the waerd! I look forward to seeing plenty of waerd players once launch happens.

4/11/2019 12:55:33 PM #14

But if they don't value material possessions how can I have the peasants stare in jealousy of my riches... literally unplayable tribe xD

I don't know anymore.

4/11/2019 1:21:24 PM #15

Posted By Taymuraz at 12:33 AM - Wed Apr 10 2019

Posted By MusaKn at 4:25 PM - Wed Apr 10 2019

A Waerd murder-hobo character would bring imbalance, and so would be frowned upon by all other Waerd.

Now I kind of want to make a Waerd hitman... death for hire disrupting the balance of all in the search of more difficult prey.

Friend Code: B1DD85 NA-W Neran, beyond that not sure what I'm going to be when I grow up.