COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
On a more positive note with CoE Management and Developers

Greetings everyone,

Had some time on my hands to kill and was going through recent posts on the forum. It dawned on me the similarity between a particular past real world event and what goes on here on the forum with CoE community.

I will skip the story because I don't think would be appropriate to mention real life political situations in here so will just say to the CoE team, remember you are working hard for your base support; that “Silent Majority” who is demoralized by the negativity being spread, yet still believing in CoE, supporting the developers, and hoping the outcome will be a positive one.

Two wrongs, don’t make it right. Just because the Negative ones are more active and louder. It does not mean the Majority is with them or that the loud active ones are the last word in where this CoE community stands.

The fact is, those who are knowingly or unknowingly demoralizing the community, simply don’t have all the facts. That they base everything they say, on mostly guess work. And that is not the best way to make an intelligent argument. Also, allowing emotions take over is the worst thing that the Silent Majority can do, when facts are not clear cut as they seem. Mistakes been made? Yes. But questioning the honor of CoE management and developers based on guess work, and judging them as harshly is extreme and unjust.

So am hoping the CoE management and developers to not lose sight of the “Silent Majority”, and not let those few who are louder, demoralize the CoE team... Remember, you still have a silent majority who believes this will happen and that you will overcome the short comings. A silent majority who is still very much supportive of the CoE team regardless of human mistakes made in the past. And that’s the community you need to focus on... nothing else.

Cheers, keep your cool, stay well, and get this ball rolling, as the majority still have faith that you will.

"I'd rather die standing than live on my knees."

1/25/2020 11:35:38 PM #16

I could care less about the downvotes. i think it's funny they think it bothers me. I only mention them so they continue to think it bothers me.

However, I do believe that COE is very tolerant letting us say things that are not positive for the game. I feel those that don't have the time to actually use their words and say what they disagree with should have an option to quickly downvote something for any reason at all and it is up to us to understand what that reason is.

I sure hope this dosn't get down-voted. it might confuse people and make them think the down-vote is for the last paragraph or not.

1/26/2020 12:12:46 AM #17

It seems every game in development with a forum, demonstrates this phenomena at some point. Saw it with The Secret World (the original, prelaunch), seen it with City of Titans, Revival and a few others.

Without the game itself to focus on, the forum community inevitably falls into the white knighting/black knighting that was mentioned earlier by @Mickdude2. A point well made btw.

I also think it is inevitable. Game development for a game that requires public funding (and even many that dont) will never be "fast enough" for those waiting, and the games community is not a hivemind that anyone can attempt to pursuade enmasse that "all will be ok".

There are after all, legitimate examples of games projects that have categorically not delivered on their promise because of trouble in paradise (Dogma and Revival are just two that come to mind). Kudos to Revival for at least being able to refund my pledge. That DOES count for a lot.

I dont blame anyone for being sceptical, or optimistic though. Good reasons exist for both.

I guess what i'm trying to say in my usual long winded way is that this is a game forum working exactly as intended, given that the industry has not always covered itself in glory, but it doesn't lack for people demanding more and trying to deliver it either.

1/26/2020 6:14:24 AM #18

Posted By Noslim at 1:44 PM - Sat Jan 25 2020

I just agreed with Mickdude and it doesn't feel right.. what is even happening...

You are part of the problem.

If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization. -Robert Noyce

1/26/2020 6:58:25 AM #19

Posted By Lord_Greystoke at 12:14 AM - Sun Jan 26 2020

Posted By Noslim at 1:44 PM - Sat Jan 25 2020

I just agreed with Mickdude and it doesn't feel right.. what is even happening...

You are part of the problem.

Ohh no, let me reanalyze all my life decisions until this point.

1/27/2020 1:18:50 AM #20

restored

1/27/2020 2:05:31 AM #21

I'm very aware some believe you are not allowed to have casual conversation and light-hearted humor on these forums and I'm also aware that your opinion is just that. If the powers that be determine I've broken CoC they can perm ban me IDGAF anymore ;)

1/27/2020 3:52:04 AM #22

restored

1/27/2020 3:59:59 AM #23

A couple issues with your arguments:

• If there is not enough information to be negative, there isn't enough information to be supportive without just a blind faith. It's a 2-way deal there. If you modify your information argument to include that, I would actually agree. With how much they seem to leapfrog on progress updates and always seems to say they are so close and yet seem to be so far from X Y Z, there is no where near enough public information to objectively jump ship or say everything is good other than your own personal outlook. Honestly, at this point they could either release pre-alpha next week or delay it to next year and I wouldn't be surprised either way...

• The silent majority argument is so bad and flawed unless you actually have data to suggest this is the case in this scenario. The tendency that people who are negative are more active isn't evidence in itself that there is a massive positive majority that is happy with the state of the game. The silent majority argument is a last ditch effort to make things seem better when everything else seems negative but without any kind of evidence it's just not a valid argument. From what pool are you gathering the majority of people not engaging on social media forms are happy rn? Are you also including all the silent people who have already jumped ship and cut off involvement with the game because of the affairs? and if so, how? Note that I am not saying their isn't a silent majority positive, however you cant just make that claim with literally nothing and act like it's fact.

• Your are judged by what you deliver in this world. That is not harsh or unjust. That's the way the world works. We aren't telepathic deities that can scan your intentions, character or potential. Therefore, the way you show your insides in this world is by what you show and produce on the outside. Your actions. If you don't like what people are saying about you, you should change your actions. "Questioning the honor" is also a super vague term so I would like a clarification on that. Because if by that you mean serious harassment and attacks than of course that isn't ok but if your saying that questioning their development based on their deliverables so far is unjust, that's how the entire world works.

I don't know anymore.

1/27/2020 4:30:35 PM #24

Posted By Count_Anatar at 01:38 AM - Sat Jan 25 2020

Posted By Barswain at 02:27 AM - Sat Jan 25 2020

I’d be curious to know when this “silent majority” elected you to speak for them and how you know which side they fall on.

This ^^^

And also this:

Posted By twitch_AdamRhyne at 01:35 AM - Sat Jan 25 2020

All this being said. It is perfectly reasonable for people to be skeptical of the studio's ability to deliver on this game ultimately. It is also perfectly reasonable for people to still have faith in the studio's ability to deliver. Both sides will have their reasoning for believing what they will but ultimately its all just that... belief.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

1/28/2020 12:28:58 AM #25

Posted By twitch_AdamRhyne at 12:35 PM - Sat Jan 25 2020

Keep your sanity, go focus on other things, let the studio do their work and judge once you actually have something to judge.

This is key. People are getting way too caught up in the day to day drama and seem to be genuinely losing the plot. Instead of pulling your hair out, do as Adam has suggested. You might find it helpful.

Posted By mickdude2 at 04:55 AM - Sun Jan 26 2020

I'm not surprised that the community has moved into a phase where it attacks itself, drawing lines between supporter and detractor, between white and black knight.

I've had the exact same thoughts. And not to try and sound obnoxious, but you can really get a sense of who has and hasn't modded, or who has had real long time experiences with large communities, by the very fact that you're cerebral enough to notice this pattern in a haze of chaos. So mad props to Mickdude. This is a significant issue in this snapshot in time.

I won't name drop, but I could. There are a handful of people who are boxing with shadows and their own imaginary adversaries lately. I'm seeing a lot of bull shit arguments against purely hypothetical "white knights". It's truly a signal that your mind is racing, and you need some time in your life where you're not following the manufactured drama literally day after day. Take a damn break already, lol.

As for my personal opinion and focus on this subject...

Skepticism is an extremely important tool that people don't use regularly enough, or often misuse in order to craft their own reality and facts. If you are truly exercising skepticism, all you could honestly say at this point is that very little has been demonstrated by the studio. The stuff we have seen is, in the grand scheme of things, so far just baby steps. And because of the many complications, we might very well still be near the start of this whole development process.

I can personally find peace of mind from my ability to remain skeptical. I'm not here to play on anyone's side, not the overhyping studio, nor the shadow-boxing edgelords. I'm just sitting back and absorbing what they do manage to put out. It helps keep you relaxed, people. I'm enjoying the positive signs, and the bad signs reinforce my decision to ease off. Additionally, as a few people have spoken about here, I don't spend my money like a lunatic. When the studio does something I want to support, I'll throw them a bone, but it's been a long time since I've done that. When they mess up or are busy building, I don't spend my money. Seems simple right? Makes life a lot easier. With this approach I can avoid pulling my hair out, I can laugh at fake drama, I can still join in on chat and have some fun discussing mechanics we have info on, and I can retain the ability to genuinely enjoy the good work they display (when appropriate).

And you've gotta learn to have a bit of fun, everyone. This shit is starting to feel like a second job, or a second family. Even the truth tellers in this very discussion could learn something from the OP's message behind the message, and try to appreciate what we have for now. In the entire timeline of the development of Chronicles of Elyria, it's never been as close to a reality as it is today. There are truths to celebrate, just as there are truths to be cautious of. Unless your brains have been broken by this long and uniquely weird process, I know you can see that and allow yourself to truly take stock of all things negative AND positive.

"If we wait until we are ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives..." code: CD83B4

1/28/2020 12:29:40 AM #26

I'm old enough to remember when "The Silent Majority" phrase first came into being...

It was Nixon who used it btw...

Take that at whatever it's worth...

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

1/28/2020 1:19:48 AM #27

Posted By kajoreh at 7:29 PM - Mon Jan 27 2020

I'm old enough to remember when "The Silent Majority" phrase first came into being...

It was Nixon who used it btw...

Take that at whatever it's worth...

Given the OP's grasp of history, he may see this as a good thing.

1/28/2020 2:01:03 AM #28

I think the OP is being ironic. His political references directly contradict his arguments.