17 January

State of Elyria: State of the Studio

By Caspian

Hail Elyrians,

With the beginning of a new year, and with our experiences interacting with publishers and investors in 2017, we've been evaluating our funding and staffing needs going forward.

Both we at the studio, and the community at large, have a strong desire to maintain creative control of Chronicles of Elyria, as can be seen from the posts here and here. There's also been discussion during Q&As and on Discord about ways we could attract publishers while still keeping true to our values such as the thread here.

Soulbound Studios is a community-centric development studio. We rely on player feedback to help shape the future of the game, and we've relied on crowdfunding to get us this far. In an effort to make rapid progress on the game we know will redefine the MMORPG genre, we began pitching our game to publishers and investors throughout last year. We knew with the additional funding a publisher could provide, we would be able to get to market quicker than we had previously announced. However, as we reached the end of 2017 it became clear publishers were disinclined to take the risk on an innovative game such as Chronicles of Elyria without changing our intended vision. Some publishers wanted micro-transactions, loot crates, or other features that prioritize revenue over player experience. None of these options are in the best interest of our vision or players.

From the end of 2016 to the end of 2017 we nearly doubled in staff, however that team size was never intended to be sustainable without the long-term aid of a publisher or investor. In their absence, and as a result of our change in focus back to crowdfunding, we adjusted our resources accordingly so as to be sustainable solely through sales from our online store. Unfortunately this meant parting ways with a few of our team members. This was painful for all of us as we had developed a close bond with everyone in the studio, but it was a necessary action to move forward at the velocity and cost we need to succeed.

In regards to studio finances, we are now able to sustain development at our current size without the need for a publisher or investor. We plan on continuing crowdfunding for the foreseeable future so that we can maintain creative control of the game, and ultimately deliver the promise of Chronicles of Elyria.

Pledged to the continued development of the Soulborn Engine and the Chronicles of Elyria,

Caspian

jasonthebold49 - 4 months ago

Just glad that there is good news to the bad news

Gunnlang - 5 months ago

The real question is, who in the world would take a KS date seriously? I don't know of one game, be that single player or MMO that has ever released on time from that. Also thinking an MMO would be released one year after a KS, funny one. Or even in beta for that matter when they were missing 75% of the team and had little funding.

I would rather wait and get a good game. Over some buggy ass mess cause people wanted to now. Remembering when Hello Games were sent death threats when NMS was pushed back.

Yeah there has been a few delays, but really, what game doesn't have delays. The biggest companies have delays. You really just set a goal that no one could ever match.

Rinkuji - 5 months ago

"lock certains areas" "Queues for login" are totally things that would break the game concept. The crowfunding is still doing well, for instance they got 200,000$ dollars over one month and a half (the 4,000,000$ milestone was on March 15th), so I guess the community already "is the publisher", they don't need to add ways to make money that would break the core of the game.

As for the "beta" thing, you should have to know that they had to spend time for building the foundations of the game, there is no need for them to rush the development just to release as soon as possible a "beta", they are going at their own pace and that's how CoE will be the game they wanted to make. The launch is scheduled for the end of 2019, and there are plenty of things that will happen until then.

Tideofchaos - 5 months ago
@Rinkuji:

@RinKuji

If you are making a game for yourself only I guess "The game they want to make" is fine but last I checked this was a game for those who wish to see a change in the MMO scene. Rush development? Really ...... uhhhh ok. I am not sure there is much of a rush in Beta. Usually, Beta's are used to show how far you are and work out bugs pre-release. From a company that stated 2017 release then just pushed it back a Beta would show that they are moving forward at a decent rate. Regardless I can tell by your statements that you are not even going to entertain any idea that challenges your hopes for the game. So, good luck and I hope its everything you want.

Tideofchaos - 5 months ago

It would appear that this game has been in development for some time now. A significant statement being released like this is bound to create some conversation. I think the stocks option is amazing. SBS has some really good ideas given to them to create revenue. The real question is are they actually going to be the company they claim to be? They claim to listen to the community and provide them with what they need. I think the community is asking for a chance to be the publisher. If you get enough people united on this front then you would have the funding. If needed there ways to make money without breaking the game. Lock certain areas and create a story-driven reason, Queues for login (pay to get bumped), stocks, a million other ways. I dont think you have to sell your control to get funding. Large sums of cash from small groups/people requires proving to them that they are going to get their money back. If you are collecting small sums of cash from a lot of people .... who doesn't mind not getting a candy bar this week! I think the biggest woah situation is the fact that it is behind release date and not even in Beta yet.....? I am more concerned with why there is no beta than I am with the funding situation.

Xeyska - 5 months ago
@Tideofchaos:

Posted By Tideofchaos at 5/2/2018 6:58:14 PM

>I think the biggest woah situation is the fact that it is behind release date and not even in Beta yet.....? I am more concerned with why there is no beta than I am with the funding situation.

I highly recommend reading A Year of Foundation by Caspian to have further insight on the current happenings in CoE development. He addresses much of it there, one thing to also consider is nothing is instantaneous in when it comes to making games or developing them.

Tideofchaos - 5 months ago
@Xeyska:

@xeyska

I think we are well past instantaneous with this game. Don't you? We are going on 3 years since the LLC was filed. Additionally, Caspian had spent some time before that developing the groundwork. I'm not stating that the game should be released tomorrow (release is pushed back to 2020 from what I can see). I do think if you are going to state 2017 release and you miss that mark then you should give the people something. A lot is riding on this game, it's more than just this game at stake here. So far this game is one of the first fully crowdfunded MMO's, if it fails it will be used as a certain failure of all future crowdfunded major production MMO games. I think a Beta would just put alot of indivudals at ease and show that they are close to their goals.

Galliad - 7 months ago

sorry to hear that the publisher thing did not go well. But I am glad that you keep it up. I am looking forward to the alpha 1 as my personal highlight this year. I hope everything is going according to schedule.

Poingfaust - 7 months ago

I will wait for the game I want to play. NO Pay-To-Win game will ever get a penny out of me.

I'm willing to buy stock, but not bonds.

Kihdi - 7 months ago

This is very sad news, and of course, as usual, I'm super late to the conversation!

However, when thinking of the bigger picture, keeping control of your own game is what is the most important.

HolyAvengerOne - 7 months ago

(Will reply later, but posting here to find the thread on the forums after, please ignore)

Maldorf - 7 months ago

As far as raising more revenue, cant the developer find a way to get the game onto Steam once it is ready for Alpha or Beta? Plenty of games on there that are pretty early in development and customers seems fairly willing to play the games early on. Having a good size population playing on Steam would be a great way to get testing data and for discovering bugs and fixes. Has Steam been discussed? What does it take to get on there? The problem now is that most gamers have never heard of this game. Getting on Steam will spread the news fast. Does the developer have to pay some kind of fee to get on Steam?

Heck, that guy that made Five Nights at Freddie's did really well for himself on there. I think it was just him doing the games too?

Sith - 8 months ago

I appreciate that you're sticking to your (and the community's) vision for the game. Good games are worth paying into, and loot crates are a plague.

PhilipMarsham - 8 months ago

I didn't got it. Is SpatialOS out of the project? D: I was very excited about 30k online players solution given by SpatialOS but now I am worried wheter they will be able to make this possible or not...

Oracle - 8 months ago

I'd have to agree about the micro-transactions view. Changes like those can very quickly destroy a game.

That said, I could be imagining things, but wasn't there talk of potentially making "mini servers" or single player versions available at some point?

If either are planned, you've got potential for micro transactions without breaking your main game world. The small standalone versions might have a "help fund SBS" store option enabled by default. This could take you to an SBS store, selling things that improve your starting conditions / buy extra materials. This might serve as a means for other people to experience different roles on their own, without damaging the multiplayer game world, but allow another form of revenue stream. Hopefully it might also increase appeal for the single player market / small group market too if the larger game didn't appeal so strongly to them.

I guess if the mini servers were available, it would be exclusively hosted by SBS for certain monthly fees too? Most hosted servers charge.

Is there scope for any sort of minigame that doesn't interfere with the Elyrian model but might involve collectibles ie pub game? Nothing weird like tiny groups of fighting insects? Lol

Terrantal - 8 months ago

Excellent idea, so would I. After reading this post, I couldnt help myself but to buy 3k EP to support the decision, but would definitely buy some stocks if I had the option.

Tolleih - 8 months ago

I'm in this thing at the Magistrate level and I have to admit I haven't followed the forums every day or pined over what is going to happen with this game every day. I periodically check back to see the progress and if I get a nudge to do so via an email I come to the website to see what's going on.

The latest get support to be a King campaign I could have cared less about because I frankly don't have the time to be on these forums all day or build a community with all my (barely existent free time) or whatever it would have taken to achieve that goal. Yes I'll free up time to play this game when it is real but it's not real yet.

I read through most of the comments regarding investors and publishers on this post and it seems those who thought it necessary to take the time to throw their two cents in the mix with respect to raising revenue all were focused on in game stuff to continue funding this game. Frankly I'm not interested in putting any more money into the game to get in game stuff. I'd rather have an actual chance at a piece of the action.

If there is truly enough support out there for this game, why not relinquish some future profits, not control, for the finances to see this to release? If everyone out there thinks this is such a hot idea then it should blow WOW out of the water, right? After all Blizzard is a publically traded company.

You guys are looking for a few investors to fund this project and I know they are only interested in $$. Well I don't have 20 million dollars but I do have $150 (actually I could invest more). I think I saw somewhere some estimate there were 150K people interested in this game. 150K x $150/person = $22,500,000.

Now if SBS went public and retained over 50% of the stock and release 22,500,000 shares of stock, I'd buy some at $1/share. Let us little guys get in on this for a change. Go talk to some attorneys and some underwriters and go public or find some other legal entity to let us reap the profits. Then you would see what kind of support you had if any.

Niv - 8 months ago

Sticking to your principles as a gaming company although hard, will certainly pay off in the end. It is moves like this that earn your respect in the gaming community and so, more people are willing to spread good news about this game through word of mouth. Especially since SBS isn't a business like Actvision, they need to play to their base; Ie. Gamers. These special investors who don't play video games at all and only think about money, ultimately ruin the vision and craftsmanship of the game. And whether they know it or not the long term profit won't be there for them.

Although its sad you had to let some of your team members go, its better to stick to your vision rather then see it corrupted in order to keep peoples jobs. Just think, SBS wouldn't be a thing without all the money raised between kickstarter, the online store, and the token competition.

Akrawec - 8 months ago

I for one am glad you turned down the big developer that did not see your vision. Look at all these big budget games that just take a bunch of money from people and quickly die within a month of release. Don't be like the guys that brought the community For Honor, Destiny 2, The Division, Battlefront 2, Middle Earth the list goes on! Do it right the first time and take the "its ready when its ready" approach. YOUR true community will support this.

V3nom - 8 months ago

The fact they haven't released any EP shop yet proves SBS is stable and they are holding fine. I am more worried about the spatialOS loss.

Zeek_Halykr - 8 months ago

Maybe hire supporters who are good Deva, heck they may help more than the Devs you laid off, since they are dedicated to getting this game soon and know the ropes of the Hype Community

Linkhewitt - 8 months ago

Oou no matter what I'm so excited for the game to come out just thinking of the scale and potential omg this will be such a good game i can hardly contain my excitement.

Vladius_Glacius - 8 months ago

If I ever win the lotto I'll Fund the game.

Dreadnoc - 8 months ago

If giving the choice between a cash shop/micro transactions Or, not having a game to play...Bring on the cash shop. Also is it true there is no prototype of this game yet?

Poldano - 8 months ago
@Dreadnoc:

Posted By Dreadnoc at 11:36 AM - Thu Jan 18 2018

I understand that there is a working prototype that is being used in "friends and family" testing. This would be, at the very best, an alpha-level back end and, at the very best, a prototype Voxel-based client. The reason you don't see it is because the developers choose to develop the skeleton -- the back end, or server-side capabilities -- before putting the flesh on, so to speak.

Demian Balgrim - 8 months ago

It's really sad to me that, with all the money and time you've had, you have so little to show for content. If investors really don't want to be part of it, there must be something weird going on with the team, the promises, the vision and a lot of stuff. Hope this wasn't just a big elaborate scam to take all that money from the people in this community.

jaspurc - 8 months ago
@Demian Balgrim:

publishers and most investors who get their hands into this game will only make it like every other online mmorpg. They only want to make money and they dont really care about the community. What this game needs is investors who have the same vision. At this point the backers of this game are its biggest investors. Probably would be a good idea to really focus on getting Alpha 1 up and running. You really need something beyond words and a few clips of the game to reach out and start to bring in more folks. I know you all are working hard on development and i hope you can find some investors that wont change things to much.

Poldano - 8 months ago
@Demian Balgrim:

Posted By Demian Balgrim at 11:16 AM - Thu Jan 18 2018

I really doubt that it's a scam. For one thing, the amount of money raised isn't that much at all, considering the number of people on staff.

Also, anyone who thinks the amount of money raised is exceptionally large has a very faulty sense of how much money is needed to get things done in this country.

Dariusacmar - 8 months ago
@Demian Balgrim:

Posted By Demian Balgrim at 12:16 PM - Thu Jan 18 2018

Sadly, you must not have read or looked into this at all. Caspian said the publishers wouldn't invest money unless he agreed to loot boxes, cash shop, that sort of thing. Not that "investors really don't want to be part of it" as you put it.

Hands down, investors and publishers bottom line is to get as much money/profit as possible as quickly as possible....that means cash shops. Caspian and the team have made it clear that the end all be all goal of SBS is not to make crazy amounts of money, their end goal is to make a revolutionary game of amazing quality and vision and scope, while at the same time making a decent profit.

Sadly, the age of games that last 1-3 years of hayday and 2-4 years of peetering out have been going on for more than a decade now and is the current trend...so going against that as Caspian and SBS are is not prime in the peoples minds that want as much money as they can get as fast as they can get. All in all, the only thing an investor/publishers money would get us that crowd funding can't is the game out faster....where as the negatives from a publisher/investor throwing their weight around because of their money being in it are staggering.

Eahlron_Storm - 8 months ago

thank you for not falling for micro transactions and other BS that those investors wanted. I feel sorry for the people that had to leave the team but for the game this was the best option. COE will show all these C*nts investors that a great profitable game dont need micro transactions and crappy loot crates.

jaspurc - 8 months ago
@Eahlron_Storm:

Yup, i am happy they did not cave either. This really shows their dedication to this game. Many other ppl would of caved in and took the bait. Thank god SS didn't. I think if they find new ways to get the word out and maybe get Alpha 1 up and running, attract more folks to the game, we might not need a publisher.

Wolfguarde - 8 months ago

Posted By Hieronymus at 05:50 AM - Thu Jan 18 2018

So folks just have to ask themselves what they want more of and let their money talk. If you like studios being beholden to publisher money, walk away and trash SBS. If you don't, support what this studio is attempting to do here.

This is one of the more important points raised here. The game is pre-alpha. Much of what we are backing is SbS's ambition, the dream that was outlined to us not so long ago. SbS has presented themselves - and continues to conduct themselves - as a company of integrity committed to producing a product of quality. These two factors compose much of SbS's worth to the community - ambition and integrity.

How far are we willing to go for those qualities in an industry otherwise mostly barren of them? So far, this game's raised nearly four million in funds. For a game with no playable content, that's a pretty large chunk of money. How much more is going to be contributed when the game begins moving through its alpha and beta phases? We can't know. But there's a near guarantee that with each major step this game takes, its available funding is going to spike upward as prospective players start to see a tangible product forming out of the early hype that first got the core of the community interested and invested.

We are early backers, folks. We started at the creation of this universe, where most kickstarters don't start until there's something to walk on and look at. Remember that. Strength before weakness, journey before destination.

Posted By Marovec at 08:07 AM - Thu Jan 18 2018

Dunno man, you might be onto something there. 150k kidneys would be worth a lot of money.

KipFoE - 8 months ago

Glad to see that SBS didn’t cave to the micro transactions. I struggled with the pledge package P2W options in their current state. I backed the game, in part, because I understood the packages to end at launch and there would not be a cash shop. Those who suggest having would, understand it would turn a lot of people off the game and cause many pledgers to try to get their money back since such a core concept changed (not saying they would get anything back). I wouldn’t be opposed to cosmetic items being sold, but the moment any kind of advantage can be purchased, beyond what can already be purchased, many in the gaming community will turn their backs on CoE.

Once we have a playable version of the game with a decient combat system, a lot of people will pay more attention. I’ve heard a lot of people say they aren’t even going to bother checking the game out until there is some form of playable game. The combat that has been shown, while a demo version, has many scared the combat system will be underwhelming. I’m looking forward to getting my hands on something real later this year.

mommabear - 8 months ago

Sticking to your values and sight of the game is always a good thing:) Thanks for standing strong and not caving in, I truly believe this will pay off in the end far far more than if you caved to what the investors think will work or be successful:) Keep up the great work!!

Sleep - 8 months ago

i've now read a great number of comments(on-site and off-site) about the lay-offs, the crowdfunding angle, and parting with spatialOS. i see that soulbound studios, and jeremy personally, get a lot of strong criticisms for the great many things they are doing with the game and development process that are very different from the norm or unproven.

i've seen this company bend very little in their vision. it appears we have a brave and determined captain steering this ship, often through unknown waters. i do have criticisms of this company, but i also admire it very much; and while the recent news gives me much pause for concern(in my limited understanding of gaming tech and industry,) overall i am very pleased by it, because so far they haven't given up or given in, and thus i still have faith we can reach the shores that us passengers have long been hoping for.

i believe the vision can be realized, so long as captain and crew are smart enough and skilled enough to get us there. and of course, community action matters too.

Jongatown - 8 months ago

So, cut through the fluff here. I am very much wanting to see you maintain creative control and deliver the game as it has been presented the last, well, forever now, but how does this change your time table? When are we going to see release, realistically?

Sarmat - 8 months ago

Sometimes I think I am more supportive to this game than many people here.

Because I am thinking about increasing my pledge DESPITE knowing and accepting all facts.

And you just keep DENYING the reality. Will you be supportive when you face it in some time?

I had minuses about couple of years ago for saying this game won't be released in 2017 :)

That's my last post in this thread on the topic (at least I hope so).

Sarmat - 8 months ago

in half a year there will be 2 years from the Kickstarter.

it would be really a high time to show smth real, not just paper concepts.

and showing real things - sure CAN generate additional revenue and attract publisher's interest.

Gunnlang - 8 months ago
@Sarmat:

Posted By Memento Mori at 9:48 PM - Thu Jan 18 2018

All those things you propose here to increase money income will generate 25-50-100-200 or 300 thousand at the most.

Gotta love your assuming there. Just releasing the EP store fully would increase their money massively. The amount of people waiting to see what they can really get with it, is enough to make a dent. Myself included in there.

in half a year there will be 2 years from the Kickstarter.

it would be really a high time to show smth real, not just paper concepts.

Everything takes time. But we will either have alpha 1 or be very close to it within 6 months. But we also have no real idea why publishers weren't interested or more what really happened between SBS and them. While showing them what the game is really like may help. This game is still aimed to be different. It's breaking the mould on what MMOs have been like. No publisher is really going to like that, something different. More so when even sub MMOs are looking to milk people looking at WoW store

@Gunnlang:

Posted By Gunnlang at 1:36 PM - Thu Jan 18 2018

Didn't see mentioning releasing EP store in this thread earlier. If it really was mentioned - I sure agree that this will generate good income - 500 k? even a million? well, perhaps.

That's the problem I see with yr guys perception of the game. You keep talking about yr faith, game's being different, publishers being bad but keep avoiding dealing with the problem itself - in this particular case - lack of money.

You can give me 100 more minuses, you can say about yr faith one hundred times more but that doesnt change the reality - the developers must give real content to have the money for further development of the game. Perhaps they also have to change their business model.

There is no other way.

Gunnlang - 8 months ago
@Sarmat:

Posted By Memento Mori at 10:54 PM - Thu Jan 18 2018

Well Caspian said they have enough money. If that is really the case is something else. But you throwing out numbers like 5-10 mil. I doubt they were ever after that amount from publishers. Or surely Caspian would be making a whole new thread about what he needed to change, in order to bring on a publisher to help with funding to finish the game.

I have backed way more than I thought I would. Mostly cause I have faith and I believe in their idea. Love MMOs. Can't really stand most of them for a few different reasons, but the main one is they are all the same. Having toxic communities really doesn't help them either.

You keep saying what I'm doing or people like me. Here you are assuming everything. How do you know how much money SBS needs to finish off the game? What are you really basing that off? Yeah they may need more money, 10 million? Very doubtful or they would have folded to some publisher.

No idea if you have backed this or waiting for the right time to back. But I keep supporting them with money. Mostly cause I want to see real change within MMOs. If this means without a publisher the game takes longer to come out, whatever. I never really thought it would come out before 2020 anyway. I be willing to wait for a good MMO over the line of "oh yay another WoW clone"

Sarmat - 8 months ago

If all community members try to understand that their "faith" means nothing and cant be used to pay the employees, if a large part of them really try to promote the game.. well, perhaps it could generate even a 500-1000 thousand of additional revenue within a year or two - and it's a good result actually!

but it is still far from being enough.

XAnibalX - 8 months ago

We must continue with the crownfunding, I recommend taking out articles such as models of houses, stores for players, different types of wagons, even special wagons to protect VIPs, buying horses.

An important point that can be of great help are the boats, make boat designs and put them on sale, design different types of boats, for combat, transport, exploration, trade ... This can be a very interesting source of income ...

Put a contest in the community for fans to make designs of wagons and transport systems, boats and use those designs to put them on sale, they still have time to include those mechanics in the game.

Boot boxes can be of many things, clothes, family badges, character customization packages ..

And the community we have to continue spreading the game ... I am in the process of creating a small community in my language, I am going to generate videos and distribute information by pages dedicated to videogames.

My CoE is very interesting for me, I participate in this development because I believe it is a new concept of immersion and I want to see how this project becomes real, encourage SBS and do not lose heart!

Rakar - 8 months ago

Just a suggestion, but maybe consider releasing VoX Elyria as a stand alone mobile app separate from KoE of course. Maybe call it something differn't. You could even sell loot boxes in that. Since it won't effect the real game., but it would give fans something to play in the meantime and draw in more fans to join CoE. Maybe we could earn EP by playing it to add some incentive.

RedDoggybone - 8 months ago
@Rakar:

Posted By Rakar at 11:20 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

You know, EQNext did something similar. They released a very intricate and detailed version of Mindcraft called Landmark before the never released EqNext. Landmark

Finished works Basically brick by brick. I.E. everything was self made and not bought.

They first released it in Alpha and while it did get better and somewhat easier to use over time, the tools were often clunky, not user friendly with a steep learning curve and very hard to make them do exactly what you wanted. Still, even I, a very non artistic person could make some impressive if not refined structures. Some artistic people made some truly impressive and gorgeous structures that rivaled and surpassed anything you saw in any game. They had three different price levels that allowed you to play the Alpha starting at $100 I think.

Later, which I really hated, they added an in "ALPHA" cash store which pissed off many of the customers. But to be fair, it didn't seem to really drive any of them away either. The idea behind the Landmark, though never said, was clearly to help fund EQNext. The only two things they really had in common were the art style and the claims some of the building designs made in Landmark would be actually used in Eqnext. Oh and you could sell your designs in the store to other players.

But eventually they stopped developing Landmark and switched all their resources to EQNext until one day out of nowhere they shut down EqNext and proclaimed Landmark complete and sold it as a finished project. What a clusterf......

Now what if COE did something similar with Vox Elyria? Hmmmm. Is there enough game there? Landmark struggled with this and eventually they added a very bad combat system to it that seemed a afterthought rush job my 14 year old nephew could of come up with. If they were very upfront could they get away with a cash store in it? Or a different version of what Landmark attempted to do? You know be upfront and tell us that the purchases in the game were being made to help develop COE and not line their pockets. Like show a running total of what every purchase amounted to towards COE like they did in the KS. .Less.....shady and underhanded for example. Boy, what a tricky slope that would be to navigate. I mean MAYBE it could work but thats a Huge maybe and to me it's a HUGE gamble. If it flops then you can say goodbye to COE for good.

All this guessing on how much money they need to finish the game is just that guessing. We will never know what they think they need. The people that say "oh, we will make this much more and that much more if we only do this, this and this" are guessing equally as much and frankly to me being a little unrealistic because if that were the case they would have already done these things suggested. Not to mention there is no way no how they will receive the vast amounts of money guessed at being needed to complete the game from selling t-shirts or any other thing to their "existing" customers. As someone else here said the money from existing customers has pretty much been tapped dry. They made 3.6 million from us in a year and a half. I don't see that miraculously jumping to 10 million(just a random number thrown out there) in the next few months. Even the last Royalty give away, which was a great idea, was a drop in the ocean for what the "experts" here suggest is needed to finish the game.

They NEED a new cash resource. Plain and simple. Maybe thats new customers joining as we have something to play or maybe thats a investor/developer down the road that becomes interested as the game develops more or they are going to have to make compromises.

I don't think the game is doomed but I do think it's future has become somewhat more cloudy. I think they just lost their saftey net.(N0 developer) I do feel that unless they are fairly close to having the money needed to finish the game or get it to a phase the developers would be more inclined to invest in, who knows, they might be. They will have to make some sort of compromise down the road to get a developer in here. Would I want that? Hell no. But I would rather have that than no game at all. This is just a guess but knowing Caspian, family and friends have put up a million of their own money I truly suspect that the situation is not that dire at this point. Why you ask? Well for one I know I dam well would not be turning down investors and putting my million dollars at stake if that were my only choice. I believe they still have time to wait and see how things shake out before they absolutely have to commit to an investor. It could be they are close enough monetarily wise to get the game done. Maybe there is other options for money Caspian is not telling us about at this point. I know long ago he said that once the game is in a playable form it will become more attractive to investors and they will demand less. It could be he just needs to get the game to a viable Alpha to attract some in?

But this is just my way of saying that if people want to see the game made they should mentally prepare themselves that they MAY have to accept an investor in here at some point and all that comes with it. They don't have to like it but at least understand why it happened. IF it does.

Aeryn Suun - 8 months ago

Well unfortunate, maybe SbS will release modules. Put something in their investor's hands.

Cavalorn - 8 months ago

I just got the thought, what about the little Games publishers?

Aerosoft Astragon Bitcomposer Crytek Daedalic Deep Silver dtp entertainment Gameforge Kalypso Media rondomedia TopWare Interactive

Costanius - 8 months ago
@Cavalorn:

Posted By Cavalorn at 01:29 AM - Thu Jan 18 2018

I just got the thought, what about the little Games publishers?

Those do mainly singleplayer/small multiplayer games and have no experience in making MMOs. And some of them are not that big.

Count_Emiya - 8 months ago
@Costanius:

Posted By Costanius at 02:38 AM - Thu Jan 18 2018

Posted By Cavalorn at 01:29 AM - Thu Jan 18 2018

I just got the thought, what about the little Games publishers?

Kalypso, ew.

Kaynadin - 8 months ago

If a shift in revenue source needs to happen to secure a publisher I'd rather see them do something like: access to the game is 4.95 a month, sparks are now only $5 for the first spark per year, but scale up in price as you burn them faster (or something that retains the current goal of using spark price and deaths to deter super anti social behavior). A hybrid model of sorts.

Lizybeth_Eros - 8 months ago

Everyone buy a lottery ticket! One of us has to win and then we can fund the game however we like!

Seriously though, this is just a hiccup. It's not a setback, delay, or downgrade. It just means things won't go as fast as we would like. I have confidence in Caspian and SBS. GO TEAM!

Hieronymus - 8 months ago

Posted By Memento Mori at 1:53 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Ok. No publishers (I also hate them).

Be constructive. Where to get the remaining 10-20 mln?

That's the seminal question.

I'm not in the best position to know how SBS can monetize their assets, but some ideas:

1) As discussed elsewhere, make the Silver Run and Jousting mini-games playable modules on the Soulborn platform for a fee. They can generate revenues and start getting data on the performance of their platform.

2) Try to adapt to successful crowdfunding models (in terms of revenue generation), most notably Star Citizen - so selling concepts via the store to fund the creation of assets: structures, furniture, clothing, mounts (current store selection is super limited), etc. Very little of this exists because it's locked up in larger packages. So start breaking it down and let more people make smaller purchases.

3) Marketing aimed deliberately at driving traffic to grow the community and increase the size of the crowdfunding pool. This wasn't so important while pursuing a publisher, but it's essential for crowdfunding. How many members are there in the community right now? Maybe 10K? Grow that to 50K, get enough stuff in the store that's purchasable so that the average pledge per member gets to around $200.

That's my cocktail napkin plan for the day.

Marovec - 8 months ago
@Hieronymus:

Posted By Hieronymus at 4:45 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Posted By Memento Mori at 1:53 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Ok. No publishers (I also hate them).

Be constructive. Where to get the remaining 10-20 mln?

That's the seminal question.

That's my cocktail napkin plan for the day.

Most of the things you mentioned are already going to be available for EP, which most pledges already have a fair amount of.

What people seem to be missing is that it isn't like SBS has made X amount of money and that is it.

When we get to a playable Alpha, more people will pledge because there is finally a game. When it gets to Beta, same thing. When it gets to EA with a release date, there it is again.

The issue is, how much money they need by each phase?

I HIGHLY doubt what they have now is enough to get them to launch, but I am confident it is enough to get them to the next influx of cash - that being the first "real" testing phase (Alpha with the UE4 engine).

I assume (granted, I know what they say about assuming), that they will continue having packages for each testing phase. In other words:

• As "real" Alpha testing approaches, we will see new, "specially designed" Alpha packages.

Same with beta, and so on.

There is still a LOT of money out there. Last I saw, community membership is around 150k? What percentage of them are waiting to pledge until they can see an actual game take shape?

Bottom line, I don' think this is anything to cry "sky is falling", start neighborhood bake-sales, or sell organs over. They don't need to re-evaluate their entire monetization strategy, add more cosmetics to the shop, or start a merchandise line (seriously, where are they going to get the time/additional staff for that?).

They just need to get something playable out on UE4 - whether that is something as simple as the jousting game or Silver Mine, or something more elaborate.

They also have the Adventure Kit they talked about earlier that they can market.

This seems more like a hiccup, and less like any indication of pending financial struggles.

Deftly - 8 months ago

I'm somewhat shocked that they would still want loot boxes in the game at the whole EA thing..I was hoping it was scare businesses away from them.

FASHION - 8 months ago

Has anyone looked through the studio's Linkin profiles yet? I wish the past employees the best on their new job placements.

Morbis - 8 months ago
@FASHION:

Posted By FASHION at 8:00 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Yes. The information for who the layoffs probably were is publicly available. Possibly. Not going to say who they are because that isn't appropriate.

Stabby - 8 months ago
@Morbis:

wow morbis ur so cool

Sarmat - 8 months ago

Ok. No publishers (I also hate them).

Be constructive. Where to get additional 10-20 mln?

Hieronymus - 8 months ago

This is what people seem to forget about publishers. They are completely bottom line driven. I was always secretly concerned about that as a primary funding vehicle and what compromises this studio would have to make. Now we know. No compromise.

Is there risk? Of course there is risk. The publishers typically bear that. In lieu of a publisher, individual backers bear it.

Malais - 8 months ago
@Hieronymus:

Posted By Hieronymus at 1:50 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Something you are missing. This isn’t a triumph of the little guy or indi developer over the corporate shills. This is a net loss for SBS and Coe.

A quote from the Kickstarter campaign.

A. We won't be running another Kickstarter for this game. While we hope to surpass our goal with this Kickstarter campaign, and anything above $900K would certainly aid development, another Kickstarter isn't a viable solution. Beyond this funding we have contributed $500K of our own funds and have $500K committed from friends & family. After that we'll look at other options for funding, including private investors, but we would sure love for our only requirements be to please the fans.

From the very start the plan had been to find investors or a publisher. In the OP Caspian says they can sustain on their current finances but he didn’t say to what extent features would be curtailed.

That doesn’t mean the game won’t launch but it does mean the features mentioned as being in at launch and the overall scope of the game was all based on having further investment from a publisher or some other source.

Since that funding was planned for and is now missing something from the games design will have to change.

That is the problem.

This isn’t the plucky rebellion finding a way to beat the empire. This is a startup company who may and I emphasize the word may not be able to actualize their vision. By not compromising for a publisher they may have to compromise the vision to get it out the door.

That is my one and only concern. The game will launch but will it be what we all want?

Hieronymus - 8 months ago
@Malais:

Posted By Malais at 3:05 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

It's not at all something I'm missing. You're arguing with yourself. The only triumph is that there won't be any compromises to land a publisher.

Posted By Hieronymous at 1:50 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

You were facing this dilemma one way or the other, whether you realized it or not. Did you actually believe that they would land a publisher that would not hold them to any deadlines (which always results in scope and/or quality cuts) and insist on maximizing their ROI via microtransactions?

In the real world, plans often don't work out. Turns out, this studio exists in the real world and not in Elyria. So they make new plans. That's business. That's life. Can they adjust and still succeed? It's certainly possible and I certainly hope so, but I don't have a crystal ball.

Malais - 8 months ago
@Hieronymus:

Posted By Hieronymus at 3:52 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Posted By Malais at 3:05 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

I’m well aware there would be compromises either way but given your quote of yourself I’m not sure you are...

Posted By Hieronymous at 1:50 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

> I was always secretly concerned about that as a primary funding vehicle and what compromises this studio would have to make. Now we know. No compromise.

Either they have to give in and make changes to bring a publisher on board or they have to compromise to they can produce the game.

To me makes more sense to make some compromise that Caspian can live with now rather than having to leave content on the studio floor a year down the road because they cannot afford to produce and distribute the game.

Hieronymus - 8 months ago
@Malais:

Posted By Malais at 4:43 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Well sometimes that's just not possible. Microtransactions and loot crates violate some core values they've been pushing for a year now. Like no P2W. Personally, I'd only go there if there was no other way to build and launch the game. But another way does exist which keeps them in full control: crowd funding.

If they still can't raise enough revenue that way, then they can still knock on the same doors but with a more further developed, less risky venture. I dunno but to me, it seems worth trying before selling out.

WarlanderLichbane - 8 months ago

First I would like to say thanks to those who have been sacked. Your hard work has been greatly appreciated and your sacrifice will not be in vain.

When I finished reading the post I thought about how many times I have been waiting or pledged to the early access games just like this before in which they were canceled during their dev cycles unler similar, more intense, or lesser circumstances that failed much further then this.

I do not believe that lessening that ballast here is going to be the beginning of the end for SbS. I am sure the rumormill is going wild over this and the nay sayers will surely say nay. But unless there are any more staff cuts or more team members start to bail on their own that this will be ok. But it does concern me somewhat and plant a seed of doubt.

I don't blame SbS for not budging since the industry for the last 10+ years has not been sustainable other than the quick cash grab games that copy/paste what is currently profitable while conditioning people through skinner box methods and grindy outdated games designed as paywalls to play a game when really the game itself is secondary in order to develop the new shiny cash shop items.

Likewise players have been conditioned to accept this type of game style of going F2P / P2W with no seemingly option in the middle for a long time. Most players don't expect much other than nearly unplayable bug ridden games that require you to dump money into the game while only requiring most players to play 15-30 mins to get your dailies done to keep you logging in.

The kickstarter campaigns are essentially a cash shop in itself where you pay money in order to help the company and get a head start in the game. That is the very definition of a cash shop. Not to mention a really steep buy in for a game which still may or may not make it to launch.

The biggest concern I had while reading the post was that they want to stick to their guns while shooting themselves in the foot. Unwilling to budge or compromise. Which might actually hurt the studio if they hit any snags which might require them to let more staff go if the R&D takes too long to figure out. Or that SbS might need to find a publisher / investor quickly in order to keep things going.

I find 2 fundamental issues going on with CoE

1: The first is the cash shop buy in which helps fund CoE as well as give those who pledge a starting advantage. This option is both necessary but it also alienates those who cannot afford the hundreds if not thousands to buy into the game at this point with packages gone that you cant get any more.

While necessary it scares away non whales which account for probably half or more of the paying population who cant afford to get a settlement or higher to start with anything resembling an advantage that those who have tens of thousands to shell out for the game. Those who are lurking probably want to get into the game but are waiting for launch. Not to mention current packs getting more expensive and dissapearing as development progresses.

And even if you spent hundreds or thousands of dollars for an area of land the EP required to turn it into something is also a secondary pay wall that drives a great many people away.

So basically at this point for the most part those who are going to buy in have already done so or they took the bait with the Free Kingdom event. Thats it, thats all they will get save for the extra EP needed for Expo and the gold rush that will bring when people realize how ill equipped they are for launch.

Or: 2: Relying on Sparks, Souls, and IP. After launch these three things will pretty much all you can buy.

Sparks lasting 3-12 months will last 1-4 souls per year @ $25-100 per person. Having landed a FK count pack I wont need to even think about sparks for 2.5-10 years depending on how fail or popular I am. Which means that I would only pay $0-750 my whole experience. Someone who bought an Elyrian pack will spend $25-100 per year or $250-1000 max dollars total throughout their whole experience.

Not to mention after launch they will also need to wait at least 3 months before their first round of 3 month life spans to a year before players need to pay again.

As noble as their non cash shop stance is that is an abysmal amount of money to not only make a game but also to keep it going.

Something is going to have to give if investors wont touch CoE. Some form of a compromise or some creative solution that is not cash shop oriented.

Orisoll - 8 months ago

This post makes me hopeful for the future, because I've seen what publishers do to ambitious indie MMOs.

There was a game called Eternal Crusade that had big dreams of being a huge Planetside-esque territorial war game set in the Warhammer 40k universe. It was crowdfunded much like CoE is, and had a similarly open development process. It even banked it's success on a new server architecture that would allow the sort of scale they wanted, similar to CoE and SpacialOS.

All was going well until it came out that the devs didn't have the funding they needed to achieve their original goal, and the server tech they were relying on turned out to be snake oil. With no other options, they decided to sign with a publisher.

The game went from alpha to release within a few months, and instead of a sprawling open world war game, we got a buggy, half-assed lobby shooter with microtransactions and not even a quarter of the promised launch features,

Mandos - 8 months ago
@Orisoll:

Posted By Orisoll at 7:19 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Ah the glory days when Miguel was in charge. :(

Augustus_Aquila - 8 months ago

Only 3 were let go.

SumGhai - 8 months ago

Cannot wait to hear the discussion on the Town Crier about this. :)

LordBronn - 8 months ago

How many were let go? Who was let go? Did you learn anything about how to make sure your game is viable? what is the timeline on the money gauge? How do you increase dollars without compromising? How will you continue to ensure the existing community stays invested? Whats the plan? Should we ignore past games that have had similar situations that either missed the mark or failed to launch? With so much competition in this genre isn't this just one big red flag for potential backers? Whether we are completely dedicated to this game or not, why should existing community members spend more money when you haven't secured the financial future of this game?

Augustus_Aquila - 8 months ago

I got full trust in Caspian. We will get the game we dream without any producers interferences. For this reason i decided to fully paid my Duke pledge layaway and to suppory SBS i paid the remaining 2800 pounds . And now i am Rank 11 and 100% Arkadian Duke.

Lets all support This game.

Marovec - 8 months ago

Everyone seems to be trying to predict the future of CoE based off of how things are RIGHT NOW. However, historically, MMO's always see another big surge of money when actual, playable testing starts.

You have the "initial funding" when the game is launched, then a jump when it enters testing, then another when it launches.

Everyone seems to forget that CoE has raised $3.6 million, and doesn't have anything to play yet. How much will that number go up when the real alpha starts? How much will it go up again when it is in "pre-order" status with a release date?

Sure, having a published/investor now would probably make everyone breathe much easier, but we aren't in the inner circle - we don't know their budget.

Caspian said they still had enough money to develop without a publisher, I choose to believe him. Did he make the announcement due to a leak?

Maybe.

I don't blame him, you have to control perception. If all we saw was some random article that said SBS is laying off staff, everyone would assume the worst. Now, at least, we have the "facts" from the horses mouth.

Bottom line, nothing to get in a tizzy over. you either choose to continue to have faith in their vision, or you don't. If you have already pledged, well, they have your money - wait to decide to give more until you see more, just like an investor, and just like the majority of the community that hasn't pledged yet.

Personally, this announcement actually increased my hope/hype for the game. If they are willing to commit to their vision, and not allow microtransactions, they have taken a big step in redeeming the genre.

Now they just have to back it up. No pressure or anything. ;)

Best of luck SBS, keep up the good work.

HighwayMan - 8 months ago

In the short term how about a community organized "buy something" day next month? Even if half the community bought a $10 token it would raise a nice little chunk of money, right?

Deftly - 8 months ago
@HighwayMan:

Posted By HighwayMan at 1:03 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

SBS having to drop employees and a tool that was important to their backend may not inspire most people to donate..If they do push for money or if we do, I think it should be after they given us proof/gameplay of a mechanic people are wanting. Crafting, improvement on combat, etc..I'm sure some people gave a lot more to CoE than they would have any other game.

Juris Primus - 8 months ago

As I understood the post, ditching Improbable means reduced operating costs, and more control over the operation of the network. While they assisted development work early on, the team did seem to develop something that will work as well or better, especially since Improbable was the one to stop support of the JS. I view that as an overall plus, even if unexpected. The team had a backup plan, and executed it well. Great planning like this gives me even more confidence in the team going forward!

Nobody likes to let someone go, and I feel for the folks that lost their jobs. Caspian did say they were not essential to finish production, but rather he hoped they would accelerate the timetable. I hope they can be brought back, but knowing the current staff is sufficient to get'er done, I'm ok with that.

Dariusacmar - 8 months ago

So, CoE will need 10-15 million pre-launch to make it work with a minimal profit margin. CoE can easily do this if they expand into merchandise productions that double as advertising. CoE needs to utilize the community in creating hosted opportunities around their areas, in order to create word of mouth advertising. Because honestly, when it all comes down to it...what is the biggest resource CoE has going for it. US!!! This community is one of the friendliest and loyal communities I have ever seen...and if we can use that to expand the word of CoE as it continues to grow...if we can spread our passion and love and loyalty of it with word of it, it will absolutely succeed. Now...while I despise Mementomori's view on what he believes will be needed to succeed, I do agree with one point. WE NEED MORE ACTIONABLE CONTENT!!! If we have game play, or game play videos we can share while we are sharing the game with others, not just the jousting mini game type stuff, it will help us sell it sooooo much more. I really hope SBS is reading this and takes this to heart.

Dariusacmar - 8 months ago
@Dariusacmar:

Posted By Dariusacmar at 10:29 AM - Wed Jan 17 2018

As a side note....I would also really love business cards for CoE I could hand out with my friend code I could write in a nice box made for it....MORE INFLUENCE FOR ME!!! muahahahaha!!!

HighwayMan - 8 months ago

Well good on SBS for attempting to stay the course. The day I see loot crates, micro-transactions, and other p2w nonsense is the day that I jump ship. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels that way. So, like I said, good for them for staying true (or close to true) to their vision.

With that said they obviously have a funding issue. Some of the ideas I've read here aren't horrible. The merchandise store seems like a good one. Won't generate a lot of income, but there is a demand for CoE swag and goodies. Perhaps more raffles and contests to bring in a trickle of funding as well wouldn't hurt. Maybe have semi-unique things available that won't be in anyway game breaking for the community to chase after? The idea of bringing back the count package to some degree wouldn't hurt either if there is still room for counts. Even altering the payment model for the first 6-12 months to generate income isn't the worst idea ever. Plenty of good suggestions and ideas floating around that I'm sure they are considering.

Wraith - 8 months ago

Feeling for the people that lost their jobs, sad times.

Hieronymus

You didnt actually beat any of my arguments/ponts of view.

1) There is no successful crowdfunded games now

2) You can't pay yr employees with "faith"

3) The world is unfair - we not always get what we want or what is right - and its ok.

I will repeat: if there is no real downsides of this choice which I dont know (perhaps market is not big enough for that for example) monthly payment 10-12 dollars seem to me to be the best option.

After creating some real stuff, after making some changes to financial model, in 6-9 months Caspian could try make another attempt with the publishers.

I think the biggest problem for them is not CoE being unique and innovative game.

The biggest problem for them is CoE being (at the moment) a game on paper.

Juris Primus - 8 months ago

Note he did not say there was going to be a slowdown or delay of schedule. He just said they were not going to be able to accelerate the plans faster than currently announced. I'm fine with the current schedule if it means the feature list remains the same.

Personally, I would like to see some physical merchandise (Calendar, T-Shirts, Mugs, etc.) even if it was licensed to a third party to produce and sell. Maybe someone wants to start an art studio supporting game companies?

I do expect to see more cash being raised by SBS in the near future. Obviously as soon as concrete, play-testable content begins to come out, there will be more people willing to get off the fence and pledge. This increases game awareness, and more opportunities for people to choose to pledge.

Things are going as originally planned, we just didn't get the speed boost we were hoping for...yet.

@Juris Primus:

Posted By Juris Primus at 5:32 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Sorry but you confuse two things: words about doing smth and result.

If things were the same it would mean that those laid off team members and Improbable meant nothing to the game development.

As for selling physical items I sure agree but it wont generate much money unfortunately.

Kaynadin

Sparks are not what I mean.

They really look like subscription but they generate MUCH less money than subscription 12-15 dollars a month.

Sarmat - 8 months ago

Unfortunately you are wrong, Hieronymus.

Star Citizen IS an shining example but to the opposite. It is THE ONLY MMO which received a crowdfunding which is enough for development. And - it is not released yet (so there is no any result).

All successful MMOs were made with the help of investors/publishers.

I really would be happy if we could finance CoE with crowdfunding, I just don't see a way to do it.

Are you ready to give them 10-20 mln?

And that is the money they need to make this game like we expect it to be.

Hieronymus - 8 months ago
@Sarmat:

Posted By Memento Mori at 08:57 AM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Unfortunately you are wrong, Hieronymus.

The jury is not out yet. :)

Because they figured out how to do it really well, not because it isn't possible. The proof is in the capital they've raised, reportedly nearing $200M. And the only reason the game has not launched is because they're exceeding their financing by such gargantuan amounts, so they've elected to massively expand the scope of the game. In short, we're going to get much much much much more game now than we were before. Alpha 3.0 was released recently, so you can still play a game. In fact, this version is probably pretty close to the game that was originally envisioned.

All successful MMOs were made with the help of investors/publishers.

And how happy are you with the choices you have? If you're here, probably not very happy, amirite?

Channel your inner George Michael and have some faith. All investment requires a degree of faith. It certainly can't happen if we cut and run. That there's really not much of anything to run back to works to SBS's favor right now. A lot of people are hungry/desperate for something new.

Are you ready to give them 10-20 mln?

And that is the money they need to make this game like we expect it to be.

Agree with you on that.

Hieronymus - 8 months ago

I know it's the exception and not the rule, but Star Citizen is a shining example of how crowd funding CAN WORK to break the much maligned publisher model.

I think folks need to give this a chance before criticizing the decision to not bend core values. The focus on crowd funding is the right move if it means they can run promos on a quasi regular basis that offers players a chance to buy content and help advance development.

Star Citizen has largely done this with ship concept sales and newsletter subs. They're expanding into other areas as well now as their scope has grown. SBS should really really look at what they're doing (if they aren't already) because they're doing a hell of a job with it. Model after success. Granted, CoE may have a significant awareness disadvantage but addressing that is part of focusing on crowd funding.

Logain - 8 months ago

I am sorry, but I'm slightly puzzled here and hope you could help me understand. When you state that '(...) with the additional funding a publisher could provide, we would be able to get to market quicker than we had previously announced', does 'previously announced' refer to the original (first) release date of 2017, or to the 'new 2020' one? Or, in other terms, is the 'July 2017-State of Elyria' predicted timeline/schedule still accurate? Thank you in advance!

@Logain:

Posted By Logain at 4:26 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Personally I dont blame Caspian for that. It was evident from the very beginning (for me at least) that 2017 release date was ridiculous.

He had to lie to get the money. But that's ok in this case (thats how kickstarter works, nobody would give the money if he has to wait for ages).

What I DON'T like is that he told us about decreasing his team's size only after there was a leak to some popular MMO news site and there were no word about it in his last developer journal.

but again that is not a real problem for me personally (as I understand his motivation)

but what I find really important is seeing some real stuff instead of words (although those developer journals are amazing).

and no, those last videos are not real stuff

Gunnlang - 8 months ago
@Sarmat:

Posted By Memento Mori at 01:40 AM - Thu Jan 18 2018

Pretty much every game I have seen on KS has some soonish date, that can never be met. Someone said that they could only make it so many years in the future, if that's true is something else.

I would wonder how any MMO site could be leaked info like this, if that really was the case. How would they even know that far ahead of time anyway.

Onto the topic. I wanted to add it in my first comment. Though I doubt we would ever know. But I wonder how much money SBS really needs all up to feel safe about completing the game and having enough for launch. Maybe they don't plan to give up on publishers all together, but wanted to until alpha 1-2 has started. Basically so they could show them more, over just paper ideas.

So now I feel slightly concerned. I really can't see how the money they have got so far is enough for wages, making the game etc. While as Malais pointed out. So many of us early backers have sparks for years to come. Which sure people say how many have backed now is nothing compared to how many play at launch. But that was assuming they could put ads everywhere about this game from a publisher funding all that. Maybe I am just overthinking this whole thing and it's really not as bad as it seems.

Apathetic_Supporter - 8 months ago

Remember the good old days of music when Cyndi Lauper was singing songs like "Girls just want to have fun" and "Money changes everything"? Then the record execs got involved and the rest is history.

My brother and I were talking and he was telling me how much money cell phone users pay (to win) on the game apps they play. I would suggest you guys find MC Hammer and maybe make a pay to win cell phone game instead of direct CoE investors.

Sarmat - 8 months ago

Caspian really have to change smth. or it will be the beginning of the end.

and it's 100% clear that this game definitely won't look like you all expect it to be.

in short:

without publisher/investor there won't be any game

with publisher/investor - there WILL be changes in business model and I am almost certain you won't like them (but that's the price games have to pay in order to be born).

Malais - 8 months ago
@Sarmat:

Posted By Memento Mori at 07:35 AM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Caspian really have to change smth. or it will be the beginning of the end.

in short:

without publisher/investor there won't be any game

with publisher/investor - there will be changes in business model and I am almost certain you won't like them.

I’ve been thinking about this development since it was made and haven’t commented yet trying to word my response in a constructive way that helps rather than tearing the team down like the quote above does.

While I’m 100% certain the game will launch the loss of the partnership with improbable due to the costs associated with it and now the loss of staff it is clear changes are coming if funding cannot be found.

While selling packages may keep the lights on in the short term without a publisher there won’t be much of any funding for advertising. Without new blood coming in even post launch I do not see how the game can last for its full 10 year story as planned.

What I mean is the increase in technology, the addition of the missing tribes, sea travel and new continents. All of these things require programmers, artists and testers to create and help balance. Which of the budget is only a maintainance level to keep the servers up (post launch) I’m not sure how the new content can be added.

Consider historically the player base shrinks considerably after the first month in sub based games, given the number of free sparks in the packs and how long they currently last there won’t be much if any growth in funding post launch to help fund content patches.

While I truely believe in the vision of Caspian and SBS it might be time to consider a compromise in order to bring a big money investor or publisher on board. I know it’s a dirty word but most mmos use a cash shop.

Given how touchy the subject I expect tons of downvotes but Caspian has shown in the past how cognizant he and the team are of how easy it is to turn a game into P2W I have faith they would be able to cobble something together to satisfy a publisher AND keep the game fun and fair.

Bottom line I fully believe the game WILL launch but without a compromise will it launch and run its course in the form we WANT?

@Malais:

Nope, it's not right time to search for investor again (as they already tried it)

the best thing they can do is to create smth worth showing because for now almost everything we have are just nice concepts, just words on paper

I think they have to try hard to provide some real things in 6-9 months and after that approach investors again

and sure they (and we) have to be ready to accept some investor's visions of game's business model

personally I don't mind monthly payment (for a great game) but I think there was a reason why Caspian refused from this model

Kaynadin - 8 months ago
@Sarmat:

Posted By Memento Mori at 08:26 AM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Buying sparks is a version of a subscription. I can't think of another game that has had a similar payment model though, which is probably part of what potential publishers are scared of. Publishers are very risk averse. They would always rather make grind fest 27, or Avengers Super Infinity War 12 and get a small guaranteed return so the person green lighting the project won't get fired. It's why most management just goes with the most popular option instead of the best option. Nobody gets fired for going with the most popular choice.

Kurko - 8 months ago

Thanks, Capian, and all at SBS, for staying true to your vision. That exactly is why we all are here, supporting and following the birth of CoE, instead of grinding away in some standard mmorpg.

Daynen - 8 months ago

Ouch. It NEVER feels good for ANYONE involved to let people go, but there's a stoic respect in me for those who refuse to bend to the whims of the AAA cancer to keep the lights on.

Mandos - 8 months ago

How does this affect the scope of the game? Does the game's planned release features remain the same, and development time take longer; or will some features be cut with the lower staff count in order to release close to the originally planned schedule?

Thanks for your continued transparency Caspian and team. :)

Tonchek - 8 months ago

I am Both sad and happy. Sad to hear the people go but happy that You Caspian are the man of the word. If given chance i will invest some more money into game just to help you guys out.

Kaynadin - 8 months ago

Such a bummer that publishers are so focused on short term gains over game quality. But that is the state of the world, do whatever it takes to make money now and long term profits be damned.

That being said, if you must play the game of adding in extra transactions to secure publishing may I suggest: special dyes for cosmetic impacts, as well as a special 'desperate plea' scroll. One purchased/use per character only, and it extends your time to finish your soulwalking and avoid permanent death. For those times where you are about to permanently die in a really bad place.

Daynen - 8 months ago
@Kaynadin:

You know, as far as microtransactions go, that's actually one of the better ones I've heard...

MyrmexNamykos - 8 months ago

Thank you Caspian, for speaking in the name of Soulbound Studios, in being so honest with us, I am really glad I invested into this project to support you guys and the game, its a risky though awesome Trip and it is and will be worth it to march with. Stay true to your beginnings and we will help you on your Way.

Wish you guys good luck, Your Community here if will stay beside you!

LeBron - 8 months ago

Not the best of news but I still have faith in what you're doing. Just keep up the great work and involve the community. We'll support you in any way we're able to.

HajimeSaito - 8 months ago

Never fear, I plan on winning lotto tonight, so I shall just write you a big fat cheque!!

Gaiyamato - 8 months ago

This is a good decision I think. Slightly longer development time in exchange for holding true to the vision of the game and not bowing to cheap marketing and financial tactics. Sad to let good team members go though.

I do like the suggestion of Tshirts and other odds and ends to help you raise a bit more money.

XanderBlackwell - 8 months ago

Its good that we are having honest and reasonable conversations about this. I accept the facts and that this is the best option for a none ideal situation. I will happily commit more to COE in the future. Ideally via a subscription model.

(If not i am waiting till after settlement selection so i can tailor my purchases appropriately... horses in a swamp.... bad idea)

Zeek_Halykr - 8 months ago

JUH JUH

Nakhum - 8 months ago

While this seems worrying at first, financial struggle surely is part of the road to a finished game. A friend of mine is working in the industry and before the approach of the release of their most recent game he sometimes went months without pay, just living off of saves. I guess you could say the "dream of a finished game" kept him going.

I wish you guys all the best in the road ahead. Its going to be rough, people are going to moan about changes like this, but in the end - having a MMO (or actually, any game) release without lootboxes and microtransactions is what I would consider revolutionary at this time.

Rakar - 9 months ago

Publishers never look at the big picture they just want a quick return on their investment. They need to realize those cookie cutter games quickly die and there would be more money for them in the long run by making games that last for years. Thank you for your integrity Caspian and not selling out to greedy publishers. even though it hurts to lose some of the team I'm sure they understand and want you to succeed in creating your dream. Perhaps when the games is finished and the money starts rolling in you can bring some of them back.

Poldano - 9 months ago

How much additional money are we talking about?

Here's my thought: If specifically themed RL merchandise were available from the store, at relatively outrageous prices, how many of us would be willing to buy it?

The specific theme I'm currently thinking about is T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc., with coats of arms and family names imprinted on them, together with the CoE name, with prices around double that typical of sports-team merchandise. Realize that these would be personalized, hence a bit more expensive to produce than sports-team merchandise, but I think reasonably affordable to make with current graphics technology.

Kerlem - 8 months ago
@Poldano:

Golf shirts. Definitely need golf shirts.

Swordwalker - 9 months ago

Is there an option for us to help out SBS, with buying stock in the company, that could earn us bragging rights as maybe the chance at some return on our investment later?

Count_Anatar - 9 months ago
@Swordwalker:

Posted By Swordwalker at 07:20 AM - Wed Jan 17 2018

There is, its called buying titles. lol

Swordwalker - 9 months ago
@Count_Anatar:

Buying into the game is a fun option with returns being in the game only,

Buying into the company has long term benefits, for both SBS and others as investors.

Count_Anatar - 8 months ago
@Swordwalker:

Posted By Swordwalker at 07:48 AM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Buying into the game is a fun option with returns being in the game only,

selling public stock in the company is not really something that would benefit them right now. imagine in the insane hypothetical that they did do that and any large investor or substantial amount of stock was sold due to a "hitch in development". SBS would be ruined if they were at the immediate mercy of knee jerk reaction of stock holders.

The ideas of some sort of merch shop is a much better idea. I know I would buy lots of merch if they started doing that.

I think SBS will do just fine without having to sell their company to raise money. Crowd funding and merch store seem to be the best ideas at this time. On top of influential community members bringing in more people.

StaalBurgher - 8 months ago
@Count_Anatar:

Posted By Sicarius at 09:48 AM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Posted By Swordwalker at 07:48 AM - Wed Jan 17 2018

Buying into the game is a fun option with returns being in the game only,

That is not how share investments works. Once they have issued the shares for cash the price of the shares makes no difference to their cash flow.

TheEvilBassist - 9 months ago

Sucks that you had to let people go, but it was obviously better than compromising your vision for the game to appease some greedy publisher. Today's industry is really in a sad state, but that's all the more reason to support this game. Hopefully the funding we got together will keep you guys afloat until better arrangements can be made. Good luck Soulbound, we're rooting for you!

Arebs - 9 months ago

It's a shame that there is no fucking publisher who want to take a risk to probaly get the gaming industrie to a new standard. I hope that there will be enough ressources to finish CoE.

(Unfortunally, I have not won a big jackpot yet, otherwise I probaly would take that risk to make this awesome game)

Wolfguarde - 9 months ago

I feel for those who were let go, and for the studio for needing to do it. This cannot have been an easy decision to make for anyone involved.

But this choice also reaffirms to me that the studio is fully committed to keeping the game as untainted as possible by the rot that's largely destroyed the MMO/online multiplayer genre. Hard as this decision was, I feel it was the right one to make. You've proven both your quality of character and your commitment to the dream you set out to realise.

This more than anything says to me that the game will make it to launch. Honestly, even if the studio can finish the game with its current resources without needing a publisher, I hope that potential private investors will take note of the integrity and transparency of this company and invest in their vision. Of all the MMOs that have hit the market with potentially innovative ideas, this is the one that will most deserve a good return if things continue on their current track.

john lionheart - 9 months ago

Good to hear your willing to stick to your design principles, where an industry is making it hard to do so. Sad to hear you have to let people go. Will be an interesting year for CoE and the studio. Looking forward to the next design journal!

mandrake1980 - 9 months ago

Proud & Sad.

Proud because you read my post and took it as intended which was support of SBS dream not to be destroyed by investors only interested in quick returns.

Sad Because the investors cant see the value and now we have had to shed staff to maintain the vision.

But there are 2 things we can do to make this work.

1. Merchandising as i said in the thread there is alot of interest in those chronicle of elyria shirts we see the staff wear... to be blunt WE WANT THEM TOO... there alot more options as well.

2. bring back a cut down version of a Count package no game experiences stuff just the County some ep and manor with all preseeding benfits of-cause

sell it for same or little more then old count package and if they need limitation on server choice then put that info into package sale.

Zakarus - 9 months ago

Its hard to get your baby some TLC when they only wantyou to add this or add that when they can not see the changes this game will bring when it's released. Most if not all they want is greed and fast cash and not really care about people who will enjoy playing this game.

Sad that with the leaving but it happens just keep on trucking I know I be still reaching in my pocket and grabbing my spare change every little bit helps.

Ravenlute - 9 months ago

Since you're working off of crowdfunding does that mean you'll be opening Counts up for purchase again? There seems to be quite a bit of space for them still.

Hieronymus - 9 months ago

Posted By Caspian at

Good on you for saying no to that Caspian and staying true to your vision. Many (most?) simply wouldn't turn away the money (whoresons!!).

You pledge to build it, and I'll pledge to add to my tally.

AyeJay - 9 months ago

Time to go on to Shark Tank

Augustus_Aquila - 9 months ago

One of of the best stand alone i have seen so far from a Gaming Company. I really wish a bright future for SBS . I am sure the game will be out in time . Those publishers will come back running . Caspian remember you are not alone We are all with You. God Bless you.

EsbonOwleye - 9 months ago

I am beyond proud of the team behind this game for not giving into easy money and ownership of vision that would come along from a publisher. If this game achieves what it intends to then those publishers that denied CoE's promise will likely regret not being more forward thinking. This will help pave the way for games to be made that don't purely focus on making money and instead have games that offer an actually immersive and in-depth experience.

Count_Anatar - 9 months ago

As sad as I am to see that it came to letting someone go, I can feel the community stirring. I am sure many are either working on or already have plans to bring more attention and pledges to CoE. We are all in this together and this is our world to help build. Off to the drawing board!

Lodrig - 9 months ago

Sounds good, hope some of the let go staff can return when revenue allows.

Gunnlang - 9 months ago

Well this isn't what I was expecting. I was assuming you would find a publisher within time, without having to sacrifice your core ideas. While it's good you didn't cave to them, letting people go isn't what anyone wanted to hear.

I can now only hope you have/get the money needed to complete the game.

Wynd - 9 months ago

Sadness to hear people leave but good to know the game integrity is not being compromised.

Vexian Graves - 9 months ago

What you have here feels very promising and I am optimistic that things will turn out well in the end. You have my support! Keep it up Soulbound.

Drednir - 9 months ago

Thanks for the update, let us know what we can do to help.

Your vision, Our game, the Gaming Industry's future.

Ironside - 9 months ago

This is both tremendously sad/ bad news in relation to seeing an SBS employee go. But very good news to see you sticking it out and not adding loot crates, etc, etc.

Why not add development subscriptions for an $X per month? Get EP and maybe some low end carrots here and there.

LordBronn - 9 months ago

This is a pretty large blow. Considering the number of games that have fallen into development hell due to lack of resources. I wonder if they were making these suggestions because they don't see this game as being sustainable without other ways to make money off of it. Say what you will but publishers don't exist because they aren't successful. They know their shit when it comes to profitability. But good on you for sticking to your guns, time will tell if compromising was the better way to go.

ShadowTani - 9 months ago

In regards to risks this is unfortunate, though if the game becomes successful it'll be very beneficial. I can only wish you the best of luck, and any condolences to those who have to go. Hopefully you will not suffer any significant and unnecessary delays going forward.

I also hope you took to heart some of the ideas about alternative funding methods suggested throughout those treads, the more hardcore community have clearly shown they are willing to support the game beyond just the sparks as long as it doesn't devolve into micro-transactions. Like how I suggested crowdfunded expansions (on-site, not kickstarter), which means we would get an expansion model that do not burden the casual players less willing to invest.

Either way, again, best wishes going forward.

jennifer - 9 months ago

I'm sorry but publishers are just suits out for profit. They aren't even gamers. It's a REALLY good thing SBS decided against them and I for one am glad. If they had to thin the herd, it was for the well-being of the game as a whole. Good choices Caspian! Onward and upward!

Abigor - 9 months ago

Hm...not the good news I expected, but still good to hear that you do not bend under demands of publishers. Sad to see some people leave, hope it won't hinder game progress too much

Getsurui - 9 months ago

Per ardua ad gloriam. Keep on the good fight Soulbound team!

UDLAlkaline - 9 months ago

Thank you for not caving into the Micro Transaction publishers. They are the bane of the Gaming industry, at least from the perspective of us gamers

DoctorFaust - 9 months ago

I can't even like this post, this is unfortunate and sad. Arguably bitter sweet at the best of times.

Norenna - 9 months ago

Thank you Soulbound team for always working so hard to keep everything pure to vision and true to players not cash. Thank you to both sides of the split for all your hard work we the players really appreciate all of your time, talent and energy.

Trekhner - 7 months ago
@Norenna:

Posted By Norenna at 9:03 PM - Tue Jan 16 2018

I agree. I don't care if it takes another year, maybe even two (although I hope it doesn't lol). I'd rather that than see the game altered from its current vision.

Aneira - 9 months ago

Well it's good to hear they have the resources to continue development without investors. There might be that critical mass if they keep up marketing.

I would offer double the reward for referrals.

I know it sounds crazy, but I would take my friend code, and create some PPC with it, and probably bring in 5-10 people a month with a budget of like 50$.

Doing it in Starcitizen, almost gotten a few hundred referrals this way last year. Think about it, 1 person, brings in hundreds... many of us could do this.

NiHZ - 9 months ago

; A; rip soulbound members. We shall remember you always.

(psst, who left? We must mourn them appropriately.)

Karik - 9 months ago
@NiHZ:

Posted By NiHZ at 8:57 PM - Tue Jan 16 2018

; A; rip soulbound members. We shall remember you always.

(psst, who left? We must mourn them appropriately.)

I asked, and Vye said they weren't saying, so we have to sleuth it to find out.

NiHZ - 9 months ago
@Karik:

-pout-

Karik - 9 months ago

Sorry to see some people go, but happy to hear there is a plan in place that lets you develop the game as it was meant to be!

Matriarch - 9 months ago