18 October

Announcement of Map Voting!

By Serpentius

Hear ye, hear ye!

Lords and Ladies, Gentlemenn and Gentlewomenn, this is it, the moment you’ve been waiting for! For the first time in gaming history, as far as we are aware, you will be able to vote on the world you will be inhabiting. Never before has this been done on this scale for a massive multiplayer online game. You have the chance to join us in making gaming history! Starting next week, pledged members of the Chronicles of Elyria community will be able to participate in one of the first major milestone events that will forever shape Elyria, for all servers across the world.

With this unprecedented approach, players will take part in a process that has traditionally been the domain of game designers. We're super excited to see what the players decide!!

Requirements to participate

To take part in map voting, you must:

• Have a CLAIMED pledge package of Elyrian or higher
  • Have a Chronicles of Elyria account in good standing (banned accounts are not eligible to participate in Map Voting)

Note: You do not need to have a package to view the maps, but you do need a package to vote.

For mobile users: While the map voting pages are mobile-friendly, we recommend using a desktop computer to view maps at maximum resolution.

Rules & Guidelines

All Chronicles of Elyria Terms of Use, Code of Conduct, and other guidelines and policies will apply to Server Map Voting.

1. Participants will vote on a special landing page by navigating to https://chroniclesofelyria.com/map-voting.
  2. Voting will be done in two (2) rounds (Map Pool Voting, and Final Map Voting), with the goal of each round being slightly different.
    a. The goal of round one (1) is to determine 5 maps for each server to vote on in round two (2). These maps will be drawn from a single pool of twenty (20) maps, and each map may only be added to a single server's round 2 voting options.
    b. The goal of round 2 is to determine, from a set of 5 unique maps per server, which map containing the starting continent will be the map for that server.
  3. Oceanus (OCE) does not participate in round 1 as they already have a unique set of 5 archipelago-style maps. As such, the voting option for Oceanus (OCE) will not be a valid selection in round 1.
  4. A participant’s voting power is equal to their total Influence at the end of the voting round.
  5. Participants can cast a number of votes equal to the number of Sparks of Life they possess either from packages or a la carte purchases.
  6. Each vote cast divides a user's influence by the new total number of votes made.
  7. Participants may distribute their votes across servers and maps in whatever amounts they wish, from their total number of Sparks of Life.
  8. Users cannot exchange, buy, or sell their votes for money in real life. Any users found in violation will be banned from the community.
  9. Users can campaign for different maps by using the official server forums and a Map Voting channel in the official Discord, but should not post about maps in any other forums on our website or any other channels in our Discord. Misplaced posts will be closed or moved. Misplaced chat messages will be deleted.
  10. Estimated results will be continuously displayed in Round 1 as voting occurs to encourage discussion, with the final tally happening at the end of the Round. Results will be hidden in Round 2...to protect from bias.
  11. Users that cast at least one vote will receive a forum badge once badges are enabled.
  12. All votes are final and cannot be changed in any way. Requests to change them won't be considered.
    a. Final calculations will be done at end of each round. Results during the round are estimates due to the nature of IP and the number of used votes per user.

Voting Rounds

Map voting occurs in 2 rounds.

The Map Voting page will allow you to:

• Select a server you are interested in voting for
    • Angelica (NA-W)
    • Luna (NA-E)
    • Selene (EU)
    • Oceanus (OCE) has its own unique pool of maps, so they will not participate in Round 1
  • View the gallery of maps available
    • Map images will be reduced in size if you are on mobile
  • Vote using your available votes
    • You can cast any number of votes at a time from your available votes

Round-specifics:

Round 1

Round 1 is defined as Map Pool Voting.

Only Selene (EU), Luna (NA-E) and Angelica (NA-W) servers will participate in the Map Pool Voting round. (This is because we are creating specialized archipelago maps for Oceanus (OCE)).

• This period lasts 11 days. Round 1 starts on October 22nd at 12pm PDT, and ends on November 2nd at 12pm PDT, 2018.
  • During Map Pool Voting, the details of the maps will be hidden. This is to encourage a focus on the geopolitical boundaries and mechanics of the map, and not the aesthetics. The only things that will be visible are the continent shape and biome, kingdom, and duchy boundaries.
  • You can view the results of the current votes during this round.
    • Results will be shown for each of the 3 servers being voted on in this round, regardless of your personal votes cast.
    • We will provide the results of all maps on the server, regardless of how many votes they've received.

Note: Oceania (OCE) does not vote on maps for their server during this round, however our Oceanic players are encouraged to vote on maps for any servers they intend to play on.

Round 1 Map Selection

To ensure each server is given a selection of maps they like during round 2, while still giving people a voice in which maps they have available to them, we use the following process to determine the votes during round 1.

1. Your influence and votes are used to determine the order of the maps on your server. This is how you influence the maps you want to vote on.
  2. We take the first place maps on each server and assign them in a round-robin manner , then second place, then third place....
  3. If there is a tie for a map on 2 or more servers for the same place, we use the absolute unique number of accounts that voted for that map on that server to break the tie.
  4. The server that did not get the map has their next map moved up into the slot, ensuring they get their next favorite map.

Round 2

Note: Before round 2 begins, each account's available votes will be reset so there's no need to save votes in round 1.

This round is defined as Final Map Voting. All servers will participate in Final Map Voting.

• This period lasts 11 days. Round 2 starts on November 5th at 12pm PST, and ends on November 16th at 12pm PST, 2018
    • Maps will contain additional details than Map Pool Voting and include topographical data, additional coloring and shading
    • Each server will have a unique set of 5 maps to choose from
  • Results will not be shown during round 2 but will be announced to the community shortly after the voting period concludes

How do I vote?

Once you are logged in and visit the Map Voting Page, you can vote. Here's a step-by-step list of the instructions you'll need to follow:

1. Select a server you are interested in viewing maps or casting votes for. You won't be able to view maps unless you select a server.
  2. Once you've selected a server, you will be presented with a gallery of map thumbnails. Browse the maps to see which ones you like.
  3. Once you have selected a map it will be highlighted to indicate it is the map you've selected. You will have an ability to view a larger image.
  4. There is a vote button both below the collection of maps on the main voting page and in the lightbox of enlarged images.. This button will only be visible if you are logged in and have available votes to cast.
  5. Once you decide on a map, click the vote button and you will be presented with the ability to vote using 1 to the maximum of your available votes for that map. Your votes are based on the number of Sparks of Life you possess. Decide wisely, after you commit your votes to a map and confirm, you cannot take it back or reverse it.
  6. Repeat this process until all of the votes you wish to cast have been cast. You do not need to do all of your voting in one session. Your available votes will remain if you need to come back at another time to finish. Just make sure you finish before the deadline!

That's it, once all your votes are spent, you are done. You can still participate in the discussion in the server-specific forums. You can still participate in the special Map Voting Discord channel.

Outcome

Having backers vote on the maps for the servers aligns with our community-centric development approach. It allows each server to be unique, right from the start, and sets the stage for the Dance of Dynasties, trade routes, enemies and allies, conflicts, and even weather patterns! It exemplifies what we've long said and what our community has come to believe - that Chronicles of Elyria is something new and different.

After both rounds of voting conclude, we will tally up the final results and post an announcement about which maps you have chosen on our website. That's right - you. Because while Elyria is a world being built for its inhabitants, it's inhabitants will have the ultimate say in what world they want to inhabit. Talk about terraforming!

So join us in 4 short days when Map Voting begins! We expect to see massive community engagement as players plot and plan and hope and dream, as they are empowered to make their personal vision of Elyria a reality.

Until Monday!

Rojinn - 2 weeks ago

So, that was fun. I notice on many maps, the only way north or south is through one kingdom. Will this not either keep that kingdom in a constants state of devastation or supremely rich depending on how the leader plays things? Interesting...I can't wait to find out. P.S. I voted for H.

LeBron - 3 weeks ago

TBH I really don't care what map I end up with on our server but if I have to decide my fav. it would be H.

randys22 - 2 weeks ago
@LeBron:

Yeah loving the hole in middle. Hating ones with only one path from top to bottom. Assuming those countries would be constant war zones.

Leafbinder - 3 weeks ago

Logged in to post something and to vote for a blue wave Yarr

Tiffany - 3 weeks ago

I wanted more donuts. I don't like the land distribution that H has but NA-E seems heavily gunning for it anyways.

I don't like L that Angelica is gunning for. I voted for S. I like the distribution there along the upper to lower divide and the downward flow.

illutian - 3 weeks ago

ohnoes! I think the server hamster is dying! D: PS: Map I looks suspiciously like Eastern Kingdom. ;P

PixiePunchPie - 3 weeks ago

Is it just me or is the Dras Bog missing from every map?

EDIT: It is just me :) Just going crazy over here LOL!

Linameta - 3 weeks ago

You do know that this is only the Map Pool Voting aka Round 1?

Round 1

Round 1 is defined as Map Pool Voting.

Unless I misunderstood something the shape and where Kingdoms are and which cobination of Tribes they consist of is what we are voting on. During Round 2 additional details are supposed to be shown.

MeltedWater - 3 weeks ago

So now viewing it on PC, I'm still not impressed. Every single map has the same biome types in the north and the same biome types in the south. No diversity whatsoever.

Pieoflords - 3 weeks ago
@MeltedWater:

i'm kinda with you on that. we're basically just voting shape

Lord_Greystoke - 3 weeks ago

ERROR: 404.

GG

VioletWinterlynn - 3 weeks ago
@Lord_Greystoke:

Posted By Lord_Greystoke at 9:53 PM - Mon Oct 22 2018

ERROR: 404.

GG

I'm not sure why you're getting that error, I am able to see the webpage located at this link: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/map-voting

Shimmer - 3 weeks ago

Is it just me, or does the Bog biome appear to be missing from the maps? There are 17 biomes listed in the legend but only 16 on the actual map, and I don't see the Bog's color anywhere outside the legend.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, it appears that some maps have only the Bog biome and others have only the Salt Marsh biome. Interesting…

MeltedWater - 3 weeks ago

Seems like not much to see on mobile. Am I missing something? I know it's not supposed to be much on mobile, but what is PC seeing? Because it'd have to be WAY different to deserve this hype. More than likely, lots of hope over nothing (after yet another delay). Such is the SBS way.

VioletWinterlynn - 3 weeks ago
@MeltedWater:

Posted By MeltedWater at 8:17 PM - Mon Oct 22 2018

You are seeing exactly what is shown on PC.

In order to see the maps you have to click a server -- clicking a server displays all the maps as well as the votes shown in a graph per that server for which maps.

Alazar - 3 weeks ago

I miss some inland sea or an enclosed sea like the Mediterranean Sea. Too many maps very similar to Westeros, but they are amazing, I love them. Good Job!

Zairick - 3 weeks ago

The link is live

HajimeSaito - 3 weeks ago

Works fine for me, but alas I am OCE so still have to wait to vote an a Map that will affect me

VioletWinterlynn - 3 weeks ago

The Devs are aware that the link isn't working. They are currently working hard on getting something out. Please be patient and check Serpentius' post for further information on the current update. More information will come if there is some or the release will happen. <3 be patient ^.^

Serpentius' Comment Update

Zairick - 3 weeks ago
@VioletWinterlynn:

haha I was right the link is now live

Zairick - 3 weeks ago
@VioletWinterlynn:

Not what I was referring to, the link no longer goes to the 404 page. This along with the website refreshing leads me to believe that an update was tried and the link had not been replaced.

edit I was right the link is now live

Zairick - 3 weeks ago

somethings happening. COE Website went down for a sec btw the link has not been updated

TO DEV TEAM

The link is still not live, repeat the link is still not live

Pieoflords - 3 weeks ago

voice is raspy from attempting to continue the scream for 2 hours

here's hoping it's ready tomorrow. gotta head to bed. rather them take their time to make it great then send us something buggy and broken

SolaceOfShadow - 3 weeks ago

Anybody notice the caption under the CREATE A MAP screenshot in the media section says: It is up to you to "explose" the world of Elyria and document the land.

Apparently, there are all sorts of problems involving maps.

Maybe there whoever wrote that had a brain hiccup and merged "Expose" with "Explore"?

coach - 3 weeks ago

no discord at work, updates to be posted here I hope

Neva de Silva - 3 weeks ago

Has anyone been able to vote yet? I'm getting 404'd when I try to visit the map page...

edit: just caught the latest news. Patience seems to be the key!

Leilah - 3 weeks ago

update?

MusaKn - 3 weeks ago
@Leilah:

Posted By Leilah at 4:54 PM - Mon Oct 22 2018

update?

delay

Labbe - 3 weeks ago

Lol, typed it all out and 2 people beat me to it :D

Not too much longer people.

Short of it is he will drop the maps soon, with kingdom boundaries, and you can either vote after he does that or you can abstain until he adds duchy lines. Remember we still have 11 days of voting!

Serpentius - 3 weeks ago

Update from Caspian as of 3:42pm Pacific time today:

FWIW, the maps still look awesome and there will be plenty to talk about until we can get the duchy boundaries added. Thanks for your patience, everyone."

Steveburger - 3 weeks ago

From Caspian @ 3:42pm October 22nd:

"Hey folks. I've tried like hell to get the duchy lines rendering correctly and the math is just not working out yet. I'm going to keep plugging away at it, but in the mean time, I'm going to table that work and get to final testing of the map voting site. I'll work to get the duchy lines added tomorrow, but for now, it's better that you have something to look at. So, it'll take some time for us to do final testing, deployment to staging and production, and then enabling the features. But, we're in the home stretch now. FWIW, the maps still look awesome and there will be plenty to talk about until we can get the duchy boundaries added. Thanks for your patience, everyone. "

Zairick - 3 weeks ago

@ Imshada that was 3+ hours ago. Any new updates? Why are low res maps borderlines a massive fix? How big are these low res maps?

Imshada - 3 weeks ago

le meme

Here's what Caspian said on Discord:

Worst case scenario, I'll deploy this afternoon, and then continue working to get the duchy lines visible. You'll be able to see the maps, and can wait to vote until the duchy lines are visible if that's your interest.

So it should still be today. It sounds like they just had some last-minute changes they wanted to make before releasing the maps, and those changes took longer than expected, so they're taking a few hours to finish them before letting everyone in.

Jormungandr - 3 weeks ago

excitement palpable

Bretton - 3 weeks ago

If they missed the posted deadline, not a big deal to fix last minute bugs. What is missing is an official notice or new eta, so we don't keep pinging this site. Unless I missed that somewhere?

RedDoggybone - 3 weeks ago
@Bretton:

Posted By Bretton at 5:37 PM - Mon Oct 22 2018

As usual, that seems to have been made on discord. Sigh.

LaLicorne - 3 weeks ago

Having delay is ok.

Rushing to finish the job with bad quality is not ! I prefer SBS take 2-3 more days to finish it properly and having something well balanced.

I don't mind waiting some more days.

Varhukan - 3 weeks ago

link is not clicking! I find so many eyes and they have told me many truths, but not MAP VOtiing!!!

RedDoggybone - 3 weeks ago
@Varhukan:

Posted By Varhukan at 4:55 PM - Mon Oct 22 2018

In the passage below

We are the hobbits.

Caspian is Gollum.

The eyes, faces, lights and dead things are the delays.

The Dead Marshes are where our thoughts go because of the delays and why we should never look into the lights/eyes.

Looking at the lights/eyes and joining them is to disappear!

Sam: There are dead things... dead faces in the water! Gollum: All dead. All rotten. Elves, and Men, and Orcses. A great battle long ago... The Dead Marshes. Yes, yes, that is the name! This way. Don't follow the lights. [Sam slips and almost ends up in the water] Gollum: Careful now! Or hobbits go down to join the Dead Ones, and light little candles of their own. [While they continue to walk, Frodo stops to look at one of the bodies. He looks down at a dead elf. The elf's eyes suddenly open, and Frodo falls face forward into the marshes. When he comes to, horrid looking ghosts are reaching for him. Gollum barely manages to pull him out.] Frodo: ... Gollum? Gollum: [more firmly] Don't follow the lights!

TheUltimatus - 3 weeks ago

Was map voting supposed to have started? The page isn't working for me.

Pieoflords - 3 weeks ago

unintelligible excited screaming

Galliad - 3 weeks ago

aw, right. I am European. Its 10 PM here, so I was confused. :D

Labbe - 3 weeks ago

No maps yet! Definitely going to happen today, but slight delay. Wait for official notices or do what I am doing and refresh every 30 sec. :D

Galliad - 3 weeks ago

are the maps up already? I get an error, when I click the link.

Edwin D. Yatiskulla - 3 weeks ago

Military Precision as ever, it’s the continued high quality Precision such as this the continues to renew my passion for the project.

Botard - 3 weeks ago
@Edwin D. Yatiskulla:

Posted By Edwin D. Yatiskulla at 3:46 PM - Mon Oct 22 2018

Hakeem the Dreamcrafter - 3 weeks ago
@Edwin D. Yatiskulla:

Posted By Edwin D. Yatiskulla at 11:46 AM - Mon Oct 22 2018

Is this some super sarcasm?

RedDoggybone - 3 weeks ago
@Hakeem the Dreamcrafter:

Posted By Hakeem the Dreamcrafter at 4:21 PM - Mon Oct 22 2018

Posted By Edwin D. Yatiskulla at 11:46 AM - Mon Oct 22 2018

Is this some super sarcasm?

I took it as sarcasm. :)

For those of you new to this process of SBS release dates and times. Delays with SBS releases is the same as death and taxes. They are all inevitable. So you don't drive yourself crazy when they say it will be released at such and such a day and time, smile, take a deep breath and hope for the best while expecting a delay. Because there will almost always be some sort of delay. And hoping it is hours and not days. That way you won't drive yourself crazy when the inevitable happens. Thus the sarcasm by Edwin D. Yatiskulla.

They always come through with their promises. Just I think it's a rare occasion that it happens when they first say it will. LOL. So when something is announced, please try not to get too overly excited for that thing for the time it was announced. Or you will be disappointed more often than not.

Zairick - 3 weeks ago

Aaaa it's cool SBS I am late on my assignment as well, hopping for the afternoon release.

Labbe - 3 weeks ago

For those that are not stalking this on the discord like the rest of us, let me summarize this with copy paste

Caspian: Hey folks. Just be patient. I'm working like crazy trying to get the duchy borders to render in our low-res map voting maps. I don't know if I'll be able to get it in time, but I'm trying.

Serpentius: Map Voting is going to be slightly delayed, we will update you regularly as the release is imminent. Also, there may be a promo today but no times for that being pushed live has been announced. We greatly appreciate your patience and thank you for being understanding as we try and make your experience as great as it should be.

Me: Basically doing it right but late is better than wrong and on time

B1ackfish - 3 weeks ago
@Labbe:

Posted By Labbe at 12:12 PM - Mon Oct 22 2018

Me: Basically doing it right but late is better than wrong and on time

Just MS Paint the duchy map lines on!

Calian - 3 weeks ago
@B1ackfish:

Posted By B1ackfish at 12:17 PM - Mon Oct 22 2018

Posted By Labbe at 12:12 PM - Mon Oct 22 2018

Me: Basically doing it right but late is better than wrong and on time

Just MS Paint the duchy map lines on!

That's a stupid idea, a stupid idea that just might work, and you know what they say about that. It's not stupid if it works, MS Paint maps when?

Strix - 3 weeks ago

Serpentius🐲Today at 8:00 PM Map Voting is going to be slightly delayed, we will update you regularly as the release is imminent. Also, there may be a promo today but no times for that being pushed live has been announced. We greatly appreciate your patience and thank you for being understanding as we try and make your experience as great as it should be.

Zairick - 3 weeks ago

And now we wait.... It's been 7 minutes...I have class in 20. Time to check every 30 seconds.

Wolfguarde - 3 weeks ago

Gotcha, thank you Esoba.

CaptainSeli - 3 weeks ago

SbS is on Pacific Coast time. So 3 hours behind the East Coast of the US, and around 8 hours behind GMT I believe. Roughly 5 hours until the votes open up!

Cadnee - 3 weeks ago

:hatching_chick:

Wolfguarde - 3 weeks ago

I'm getting a 404 on the map voting page, is this an issue on my end?

Esoba - 3 weeks ago
@Wolfguarde:

Posted By Wolfguarde at 2:48 PM - Sun Oct 21 2018

I'm getting a 404 on the map voting page, is this an issue on my end?

Map voting is not live until tomorrow at 12:00 SBS time. So not an error, just not live yet.

Kikoso - 3 weeks ago
@Esoba:

Posted By Esoba at 3:51 PM - Sun Oct 21 2018

Posted By Wolfguarde at 2:48 PM - Sun Oct 21 2018

I'm getting a 404 on the map voting page, is this an issue on my end?

What would SBS time be??

Hawkaze - 3 weeks ago

Great to see something on map voting. Personally I am very excited for the event .

deathman115 - 3 weeks ago

Exciting! I enjoy the possibility to vote a percentage on different maps!

HellShadow - 3 weeks ago

awesome cant wait to see the options for the maps!

Solarity - 3 weeks ago

Thank you for the answer.

It is not what I hope as I think it should only divide only in one server but anyway this map voting event is really an exciting event.

Leeahna - 3 weeks ago
@Solarity:

Posted By Solarity at 6:13 PM - Sat Oct 20 2018

Thank you for the answer.

I don't agree because then you'd have people also voting for maps they're not planning to play on. Currently we prolly just have a few Oceanic's voting randomly.

Solarity - 3 weeks ago
@Leeahna:

Posted By Leeahna at 01:49 AM - Sun Oct 21 2018

Posted By Solarity at 6:13 PM - Sat Oct 20 2018

Thank you for the answer.

Well, it could be the case but it also could be in my case that you might still not certain that which server you will play and you are below mayor tier or having mayor tier (the player in high tier should have select their server and even their country by now)

Also you can't just vote for the map if you want to, you will also need spark of life for each vote too and if you have more than one spark you can play in more than one server if you want to so I don't think it is bad for them to vote for the map in any server that they might end up playing later.

VioletWinterlynn - 3 weeks ago

I believe your overall total votes no matter the server you're voting for.

So 1 vote on east and 1 vote on west would make your votes weigh 50% each.

If you want absolute clarification on this you could inquire to a dev if they are online on the discord or I'll see if I am able to ask if they become available for you and let you know on this post as well as a private message letting you know.

SerpentiusToday at 10:01 AM

Let's say you have 10000 IP, and 2 sparks. You vote once on an NA-E map, and once on an NA-W map. Each of your votes would have 5000IP attached, totally all of your IP across both votes. If you voted for only 1 map on NA-W, that 1 spark would be worth 10000 IP.

I hope this is able to answer that question! Its your total votes no matter the server.

Erja - 3 weeks ago

I'm sooo excited! This is gonna be great!

Zsiledifyshk - 3 weeks ago

Hehe, I like the eyes that follow you on the mapvoting page (which isn't up yet).

Xantos - 3 weeks ago

Soooo close. I'll pay attention to how this plays out as it will affect how I go about my character in the future. I miiiiight be able to pledge beforehand, but funds don't agree (at the moment).

Either way, it'll be great to see how it turns out and what kingdoms will officially form.

VioletWinterlynn - 3 weeks ago
@Xantos:

Posted By Xantos at 10:05 PM - Fri Oct 19 2018

Hehe the kingdoms are already officially set, this won't show any of that really because this is just voting on the map for the starting continent. It is not domain/settlement selection

boomel - 3 weeks ago

How do I know if my package has been claimed? And if it's not, how do I claim it?

VioletWinterlynn - 3 weeks ago
@boomel:

Posted By boomel at 5:09 PM - Fri Oct 19 2018

If it is in your inventory as a gifted package you can click the claim button if it is your first package on your account.

If it is not the first package on your account you will not be able to claim it until package claiming and combining becomes available.

Zakarus - 3 weeks ago

Falls asleep until rd 2.

DuMineya - 3 weeks ago

@Serpentius when I click on the link i get directed to error 404. It's saying my page has yet to be seen. I have an account and pledged a package, so what could be the issue?

DuMineya - 3 weeks ago
@DuMineya:

Don't worry, I found out the issue!

Grall - 3 weeks ago
@DuMineya:

Mine redirects me too. How did you fix it?

VioletWinterlynn - 3 weeks ago
@Grall:

Posted By Grall at 5:28 PM - Fri Oct 19 2018

Mine redirects me too. How did you fix it?

Map voting is not available until Monday. This is the announcement post.

ZeroCool - 3 weeks ago

Each server will have a different map. In round 2 voting no one map will exist on more than one server.

EmmaGoldenfeld - 3 weeks ago

We will only see the starting continent. We won't get to see the rest of the world before we get sea travel...

Leeahna - 3 weeks ago
@EmmaGoldenfeld:

Posted By EmmaGoldenfeld at 3:58 PM - Fri Oct 19 2018

Thank you :). Looking forward to it!

Leeahna - 3 weeks ago

Will we be voting for the starter continent maps or maps for the whole world in round 1 (and 2 too I guess)?

Strix - 3 weeks ago

Can't wait! Thank you Soulbound!

Calidor - 3 weeks ago

I just hope my server gets its first choice. I’m honestly not too thrilled by the possibility that we won’t get our top choices because another server had more votes. I like the idea of voting to pick a server. It’s a cool idea. But would be demotivating if we get shutout and have to settle for something most of us didn’t pick.

Kava - 3 weeks ago
@Calidor:

Re-reading one of the last paragraphs leads me to believe each server could end up having a different starting continent, correct?

"Having backers vote on the maps for the servers aligns with our community-centric development approach. It allows each server to be unique, right from the start..."

chipla - 3 weeks ago
@Kava:

Posted By Kava at 10/19/2018 3:58:07 PM

Yes the idea is that each server has a different starting map.

This actually helps accentuate the differences in the servers, as the map will to at least some extent determine the path of development and story that the server takes.

HajimeSaito - 3 weeks ago

@kurugi:

Firstly, I want to make it clear that I am not opposed to a fixed voting weight based on level/package.... I don't mind at all.

But I do take issue with your screams of "pay-to-win" and claims that it is unfair for the vote to be weighted so heavily up the package level.

You do understand how big the starting continent and world truly is don't you?

I mean no disrespect, but other than purely aesthetics, can you explain to me (seriously) why the shape of the starting continent really matters for an Elyrian Package up to a Proprietor (perhaps a small amount for the Proprietor)?

The land is so vast that once you've chosen your tribe and biome you can practically go anywhere, settle anywhere and have little to no ties to the land itself.

In fact if you are seeking adventure and exploration, why does the shape and geographical features actually matter at a macro-scale?

Let's jump to the Counts, Dukes and Kings now. Forgive me skipping the Aristocracy, I just want to compare and contrast the extremes in this argument. The shape and geological formations etc become of utmost importance for the Nobility, not because of how much they have spent, but because at that tier, Diplomacy and Politics, Trade, Economics and infrastructure, Resources (speculative), Defense and Offense among other things become vitally important in the decision making process.

Furthermore, while it may seem like semantics, even though the amount an individual has spent should have no baring on the weight of their vote, don't you think the amount they stand to lose by the vote should? Yes these two numbers are the same, ie amount_paid == potential_loss, butwhile this may seem like semantics, I don't think anyone should dismiss what another person stands to lose.

So it's more about the level of impact the map has on an individual (aesthetics vs real impact) and how much that individual stands to lose, not "The Rich guys/girls get preferential treatment..... This is a pay-to-win scam"

Kyaza - 2 weeks ago
@HajimeSaito:

Posted By HajimeSaito at 06:54 AM - Fri Oct 19 2018

I felt compelled to answer your question 😊 The ways in which I see it affecting the general players would be…

The maps that have a narrow channel in the middle instead of many routes between the north and south, could affect travelers, merchants and even outlaws. A kingdom with sole control over a narrow channel could create a blockade and have very strict trade and travel laws/taxes which could ultimately affect every player who travels or buys imported goods.

The shape of the continent and in particular it’s surrounding waters can also affect merchant ships and maritime trade.

If your heart was dead set on living in a bog and your server didn’t vote on a map with a bog, then you might be a bit disheartened.

Some maps have small Neran biomes, which could affect the expected large Neran population, especially during times of expansion. In particular grassland, since that might be a popular Neran biome.

I’m sure there are a number of other scenarios and circumstances where the shape of the map and boundaries/biomes affect general players. Let's face it, the decisions of the government always trickle down and affect the general population since that is what they're designed to do.

If you grouped the general players in one group and the nobility in another, you could say the combined weight of many is equal to the heavy weight of the one percent.

While I agree the maps affect nobility more (on a one to one basis) and the votes should be weighted in terms of package, I still think it is grossly skewed in favor of nobility.

Not mentioning the vast amount of influence some nobility have acquired, but to combine that with the “actual” influence they have in the community, to campaign, sway, or even bully, makes it severely unbalanced.

I might be wrong, but it seems like most nobility would choose a map based on how much power it could amass via trade and target maps with certain territories/positions and popular biomes/tribes to gain the most control, instead of what map is best for all the players in general.

Of course these are just a few thoughts from a girl with too much time on her hands :)

Kestrea - 3 weeks ago

I am beyond ready for this.

EmmaGoldenfeld - 3 weeks ago

I'm so excited for map voting! One step closer to domain selection... :-D

And I'm really happy that we as a community can decide!!

Nyx_Bean - 3 weeks ago

faints dead away from excitement

I notice a couple people saying the period for each vote is too long. To which I would answer: no, it isn't. It gives a decent amount of time for people who are busy or forgetful. Plus, it gives everybody a chance to discuss their choices with one another and perhaps "petition their King", etc.

I understand entirely why less Influence means less sway. While I get there are folks who feel they don't want a shiny they can't have dangled at them, I don't think it has to be that way. If they aren't hooked up with a group already, they can do so now and have a say in whatever player group discussions there are. People with loads of influence paid money towards a massively multiplayer experience, I'm sure at least a few want to hear what others think.

I don't know how much my vote will really impact as I'm just an aristocrat. But I'll be paying attention to what others say they want for the Selene server.

Solarity - 3 weeks ago

I have a question about the vote and server.

Let say, I have 3 sparks.

If I vote one for OCE, one for EU and one for NA-E

will my influence be 100% on each server or 33% on each?

I think as I'm still not sure which server I'll play I should still has full right to vote and full IP for each server?

If my IP got divided between each server that it would mean I need to decide which server I should play and abandon other server even before I have enough information to decide?

ZeroCool - 3 weeks ago
@Solarity:

Posted By Solarity at 08:51 AM - Fri Oct 19 2018

I have a question about the vote and server.

Let say, I have 3 sparks.

If I vote one for OCE, one for EU and one for NA-E

will my influence be 100% on each server or 33% on each?

Let's say you have 4025 IP (an arbitrary amount) and 3 sparks. If you voted for a single map on 3 separate servers, each vote would get 33% of your IP so 1,341.66 IP (not sure how they will handle rounding but it hardly matters.)

Solarity - 3 weeks ago
@ZeroCool:

Posted By ZeroCool at 3:47 PM - Fri Oct 19 2018

Posted By Solarity at 08:51 AM - Fri Oct 19 2018

I have a question about the vote and server.

Let say, I have 3 sparks.

If I vote one for OCE, one for EU and one for NA-E

will my influence be 100% on each server or 33% on each?

Thank you for your reply but I also would like to hear this from SBS staff too.

I understand if the IP got divided in one server as it mean you are not sure yet which map you want for that server and want to select more than one.

However, in my example. you are certain of which map you would like to have for that server and it is just that you still not sure which server you will play which is by the way a separate matter.

This event is a map selection and shouldn't be an event that force me or any person to choose their server to play.

ZeroCool - 3 weeks ago
@Solarity:

Posted By Solarity at 10:58 AM - Fri Oct 19 2018

Posted By ZeroCool at 3:47 PM - Fri Oct 19 2018

Thank you for your reply but I also would like to hear this from SBS staff too.

It's right there in the OP;

Posted By Serpentius here

6 . Each vote cast divides a user's influence by the new total number of votes made. E.g.: A single vote would be equal to 100% of a user's Influence. A second vote would split the first and the second vote into 50% each. A third vote would split each vote into 33% of their total Influence. The more times a person votes, the less each vote is worth. A person can vote on a server more than once in order to distribute their Influence to their liking for example: 2 votes on map A, and 1 vote on map B, would be a 66%-33% split.

Also the FAQ answers your other concern;

Q13: Does voting for a server mean I am locked to playing on that server?

A13: No, it does not.

Solarity - 3 weeks ago
@ZeroCool:

Posted By ZeroCool at 10:25 PM - Fri Oct 19 2018

Posted By Solarity at 10:58 AM - Fri Oct 19 2018

Posted By ZeroCool at 3:47 PM - Fri Oct 19 2018

Thank you for your reply but I also would like to hear this from SBS staff too.

It's right there in the OP;

Posted By Serpentius here

Also the FAQ answers your other concern;

Q13: Does voting for a server mean I am locked to playing on that server?

A13: No, it does not.

Maybe, I was not clear enough about my concern.

I know that by vote on the map will not lock me to that map.

My concern is, I want to have my IP in 100% if I vote only one map in that server

If it is not in 100% because it got divided when I vote in more than one server. It make me feel that I also need to choose the server too if I want to keep my IP at 100% despite the fact that my total IP is still so little compare to top tier player.

About the FAQ rule #6 the last 3 lines make me feel that they are talking about multiple vote in one server only but it could be about the total vote regardless of the server.

Ravenlute - 3 weeks ago

I'm glad that votes can't be moved once cast to avoid wishy-washy voters. They can still vote somewhere else taking away influence from their first vote. Some people will certainly wait until the last minute to try to alter the results just to mess with people. I expect we'll hear all about it.

markof - 3 weeks ago

Those are pure guesses but i think that each phase is longer than a week because it is a community event and as such they both want as many people from the community to be able to take part in the event and to give us enough time to analyze and strategize the thing.

Sure the more IP you have the more your vote count, but also remember that all that its needed to get a map is 1 more vote than the others, so all votes matters, even if it only counts for 1.

With the exception of the cured, the cheapest package were 250 IP worth back during KS so yes a "standard" king's vote weight as much as 400 KS commoner's vote, or 84 of the first KS gentry or 40 "basic" mayors or 20 KS counts, but only 10 courtiers and as little as 2 dukes.....

According to the shop's page at the moment i write this, there is at least 48,486,760 IP worth of community votes, so according to this, a "basic" king is "only" worth 0.206% of total voting power, it is a huge power but definitely one that can be bitten if people work together.

Gunnlang - 3 weeks ago
@markof:

Posted By markof at 5:49 PM - Fri Oct 19 2018

I don't know one king that has stayed at 100k. Much like most dukes I know are way above the 35k they started at. But seeing as OCE community is tiny, that one king with 200k, easily smashed my 10k.

I would have rather each title gets their own fixed amount. That way, those with higher titles can still feel special. Over giving them insane power. Assuming kingdoms can get their followers to vote together, it basically just means the richest kingdoms will be picking. So like Vornair and the rich club that they are. I would be dam surprised if they didn't pick NAE map.

Like I said, I get why they are giving nobles power. Goes with everything about this game, where rich have all the say. Over what Caspian has said, about maps affecting nobles more. Which is where it goes funny, since most believe, nobles now, will lose their title within the first year. Yet there could be so many great leaders, that just didn't have the money to throw at a title. From this vote, makes it come across like what they want doesn't matter. Just nobles now, even if everyone knows most will lose their title dam fast.

But I also get no one will share the same view. Wouldn't expect people that have thrown thousands at the game, suddenly want to lose any power SBS keeps giving them.

Kurugi - 3 weeks ago
@Gunnlang:

Posted By Gunnlang at 10/19/2018 10:10:26 AM

I think Gunnlang nailed it, or at least I concur that using total influence is not the grandiose "player community building the world" announcement I expected, very far from it.

I follow the game since a very long time and there was always such design/orientation decision like this one that made me reconsider getting involved... and I don't think I'm the only one fearing that pattern.

There were other possibilities

A fair solution would have been where all eligible players would a base value for their vote (solving the gifted packages non-sense): a value that would get multiplied by one plus the forum ranks (which is based on influence, not title per se and maxed at 12).

Sure, rounding wouldn't matter too much neither with a base value of 60 points per vote (dividable by 1 to 6 and 10... which is already quite a lot of life sparks and diluted voting).

Recurring bias and mismatching signals

Big spenders already got advantages for what they paid for, just like any other contributors, no need to unbalance it ever more.... taking their support into account, sure, giving them appealing biais, no. Like I shown in the previous section, it was possible, Soulbond Studios chose another way.

Contributors got rewarded time and again for their high (villa for mayors for instance), early (veteran perks) or active (searing plague) contribution. That was a relative good direction to proceed/maintain.

@Markof (and others thinking on the same line) There are no "basic" kings anymore (except maybe the mute ones), plus they are not alone and have wealthy duke-level players behind them.... worth in the current system so much more than hundreds of bloodline players.

Sure my proposal would suck for someone like Ghettomaster (sorry for the spelling) who dwarf anyone around influence-wise, despite wanting to be "only" a count or baron and settled for duke instead if I'm correct.

But for all the majority of players, it sends a loud signal that devs say one thing but don't care about their voices (for instance even ambassadors and moderators are not automatically allowed in the exclusive Q&A access club, reserved to big spenders).

Here we go again

A recurrent state of things that kicks the wasp/bug's nest of "pay-to-win"... again.

Sure it is literally "pay-to-build", but if/when the high spenders get all the votes, others have paid but can't build: it becomes "pay-to-win" material, not even like in a regular auction, as wronged people (those with "normal" influence) have spent to even get the invite.

I wouldn't mind too much personaly (and I'm thrilled for being able to map vote), if it was not advertised as "democratic" or "fair" to the community at large.

00cappello - 3 weeks ago
@Kurugi:

The big spenders are who are essentially funding this game so... Be happy it's being made and play when it comes out? Or not... Whatever you want.

chipla - 3 weeks ago
@Gunnlang:

Posted By Gunnlang at 11:10 AM - Fri Oct 19 2018

Like I said, I get why they are giving nobles power. Goes with everything about this game, where rich have all the say. >

Considering in some of the earliest literature (from the KS era) only the 10K club got to vote on maps I think that the current voting system is fair to the various people.

If you spent more your vote is worth more, yes, but if SBS doesn't reward the whales early on their high-value backers (who continuously spend significant amounts) will begin to become disillusioned very rapidly.

Posted By Gunnlang at 11:10 AM - Fri Oct 19 2018

I wholeheartedly believe I will lose my title within the first year. I will, however, try not to lose my title, and I will have around a year of playing with that title. So yes map selection is more important to nobles than other (less static) groups since it will define at least a year of play for us.

Posted By Gunnlang at 11:10 AM - Fri Oct 19 2018

Considering SbS gave an entire kingdom's worth of nobility packages away for free and gave away 1000s of dollars of free packages there have been several opportunities for the financially challenged leaders to grab a title. Even without a title, an actually good leader would just organise the lower ranked votes. You're a 10k backer? Get six of your cohorts to vote on the same map as you - you're outvoting most dukes. Got 20 mates with Elyrian packages you're basically a count. The lower orders will be through sheer numbers able to outvote the higher ranks - they just need one of those great leaders you're talking about.

VioletWinterlynn - 3 weeks ago
@chipla:

Posted By chipla at 05:16 AM - Fri Oct 19 2018

Less than half a kingdom and definitely not for free lol

Gunnlang - 3 weeks ago
@chipla:

Posted By chipla at 10:16 PM - Fri Oct 19 2018

You are missing my point there completely. Which was, if others within the community that held nothing more than a basic package, could really hold a title for longer that anyone that brought one. Simply cause they are better leaders. Yet it seems like they don't matter right now.

What? You mean the FK event? Wouldn't really call that for free, the counts no doubt got it dam cheap. But all the others, if anything had people pay more for them. Like Phyllain winning, but had people give him 14k worth of tokens. While no doubt, still an awesome move for SBS, still wouldn't say free.

I like that you and others. Are always comparing it to "most dukes" "most kings". When most of both that I know are thousands over their basic packages. Sure if the majority of higher title holders, really didn't move from their package, it wouldn't be overall a problem. But seeing most have, that be where the problem is.

But anyway, I just wanted to share my views. Hope everyone enjoys the map voting process.

Solarity - 3 weeks ago
@markof:

Posted By markof at 1:49 PM - Fri Oct 19 2018

This is also not include the event that the king has select more than one map which will also divide his IP So, I could say your vote is still matter no matter how small it is.

Just it is doesn't matter as much as the vote from the King and Duke :)

NatsyNooNah - 3 weeks ago

Ah. So all of us 'Plagued become Pure' who, although we each have Elyrian and one spark of life, our influence is 0. We haven't yet spent a dime in the store.

So does that mean our vote carries no weight at all?

I'm not bitter, just want the clarification. Can we even vote?

Ravenlute - 3 weeks ago
@NatsyNooNah:

Posted By NatsyNooNah at 10:36 PM - Thu Oct 18 2018

So does that mean our vote carries no weight at all?

I'm not bitter, just want the clarification. Can we even vote?

By the rules you should be able to vote but because you have 0 Influence the vote would mean nothing. I would like to see a response to this as well. Hopefully there will be some consideration given for packages won during an event. (Received gifted packages won't normally count because that Influence already belongs to the person who bought the package. However, in the case of events, no one bought the package so no one has Influence for it.)

ZeroCool - 3 weeks ago

What resolution will the maps viewable on PC be? Also scale, I faintly remember something like 1 pixel = 1 parcel.

Khaltzane - 3 weeks ago

I keep getting an error 404 for the map voting link for some reason... I guess since I'll be OCE it's not too bad though

VioletWinterlynn - 3 weeks ago
@Khaltzane:

Posted By Khaltzane at 11:11 PM - Thu Oct 18 2018

Map voting is not out yet. This is the announcement post.

0__0 - 3 weeks ago

Excited to see what the maps look like.

promise - 3 weeks ago

I’m a bit nervous considering that influence weighs so much in map voting.

PixiePunchPie - 3 weeks ago

Couple of questions cause it's a bit confusing from the OP...

Will OCE peeps be able to vote on anything in round 1? Can they vote on Selene for example? I have talked to a couple of OCE peeps that may join more than 1 server so just interested to see if they can help shape that server as well as their main one.

It might just be me but I'm confused on how the voting percentages work. Does each account have 100% total? So if I have 5 votes and I put one vote on each map in round 2, does that mean each map gets 20% but if I chose only 1 map for all 5 votes it gets 100%? How does that make the people with higher influence have a higher say in which map gets voted?

Thanks!

VioletWinterlynn - 3 weeks ago
@PixiePunchPie:

Posted By PixiePunchPie at 7:52 PM - Thu Oct 18 2018

Couple of questions cause it's a bit confusing from the OP...

Thanks!

Yes, no one is locked to servers yet. You can vote for any server.

Yes, your votes are weighed by your influence, you don't have to do all 5 votes, you can do 1 vote and have it count for all your influence.

They get higher say because they have more influence so their votes are weighted higher. If that makes sense.

telausblade - 3 weeks ago
@PixiePunchPie:

Yes you will be able to vote in round one

Gunnlang - 3 weeks ago

Starting off, seems a dam long time needed to vote in each round. Agree with Mandrake, 7 days seems long enough. 10 days just feels like stretching it out, for whatever reasons.

Which since I'm OCE, sucks that I have to wait even longer to see any maps. I know in one way it wouldn't make sense that we can see our round 2 maps from the get go. At the same hold why can't we?

Following on from that, I'm still concerned that anyone can vote on any map. While the OCE population is dam small, compared to other servers. Letting us vote on any other server feels odd. We could all band together to basically try troll another server. More so since we have nothing to vote on in round 1. While on the flip side, cause we are so small. Wouldn't take much for a few rich people, from other servers to troll us. If surname selection is anything to go off, it's provided, people will be dickheads if they can.

While I also get the logic behind, each vote is weight off influence. The whole game is built around rulers having power and the common class having none. Basically like it was back in that era in the real world.

Just feels weird, still giving people that much power. Even someone with my IP, I feel my vote is pointless. I know how high some dukes/kings are on OCE and feel how I vote doesn't matter. It be up to them. If I feel like this, can only imagine how people will basic packages feel. Which even if they all banded together. They still have less voting say than even one rich count (like me).

Feels like, SBS could have just got the dukes/kings together and picked the maps this way. While sure, people may say "well your vote counts". Yeah I have the illusion it's doing something. But really, it's doing fuck all.

Just my opinion on the whole thing, how it all plays out. Only time will tell. I'm still excited to see which map OCE will end up with. As said above, seems like they could have saved time just getting the dukes/kings together. Then be closer towards all the important domain selection.

Dreamar - 3 weeks ago

Looking forward to round 2 voting!

Aeryn Suun - 3 weeks ago

Will the map be detailed enough to see the types of biome or it is based on the shape of the map?

Aemon_Blackfyre - 3 weeks ago

I truly can't believe the time has come at last! We all love you SBS!

Tarvald - 3 weeks ago

Maps on da menu boyz, lez eat!

Xarkfleur - 3 weeks ago

My mapless self won't know what to do with me!

A world is born.

Augustus_Aquila - 3 weeks ago

October 22nd at 12pm PDT, in Pacific Time is 20:00 pm in United Kingdom.

HajimeSaito - 3 weeks ago

Awesome news.

I do kind of agree with mandrake1980 and feel 7 days should be enough, but I am also eager to vote on the OCE maps in round 2 so feel a little impatient,

Perhaps the extra time is required so that the work doesn't pile up on the already overworked SBS dev team, which is understandable.

Iosef - 3 weeks ago

...and there was much rejoicing!

(No minstrels were harmed in the posting of this comment.)

Iviy - 3 weeks ago

Cant wait to see the maps and be a part in voting on those that will be in our new world. So excited!! :-)

Nobody Special - 3 weeks ago

Yeah, it starts on the 22nd, but I figured we might be able to view the maps and discuss them before people actually start locking in their votes.

Wouldn't that make more sense?

Fieran - 3 weeks ago
@Nobody Special:

Posted By Nobody Special at 5:01 PM - Thu Oct 18 2018

Wouldn't that make more sense?

There are 11 days for each round of voting. You don't have to vote for the maps on the first day.

Nobody Special - 3 weeks ago
@Fieran:

Posted By Fieran at 8:05 PM - Thu Oct 18 2018

Posted By Nobody Special at 5:01 PM - Thu Oct 18 2018

Wouldn't that make more sense?

My vote isn't gonna matter a damn. But I'd like to voice opinions on it before the heavy hitters lay down their votes.

Pieoflords - 3 weeks ago

really excited to vote on the world. knowing the internet the one most shaped like dickbutt will get the majority vote. lol

Cynn - 3 weeks ago

This is indeed an honor..to be part of the making of a game. Every time I log in, I'll remember that I was able to help with choosing the map we play on. Thank you for this!

Leilah - 3 weeks ago

@ nobody special, it starts on Monday the 22nd.

Leilah - 3 weeks ago

Thank the GODS, finally some movement....very excited SBS.

Nobody Special - 3 weeks ago

Yeah, I was wondering if everyone was seeing "Error 404 and red eyes" or just me. Obviously I don't have a pledge yet, but I figured I'd still be able to view the maps ...

Pieoflords - 3 weeks ago
@Nobody Special:

it's just not available yet. four days

Tianna - 3 weeks ago

This hype is unreal! I'm so ready

Augustus_Aquila - 3 weeks ago

I am speechless.. This is really happening..... Please someone pinch me..... If is a dream I don't want to ever wake up. I love you all.... SBS

hinata1711 - 3 weeks ago

jumps in excitement

mandrake1980 - 3 weeks ago

nice cant wait but must ask why it has to take 10 days i figure 7 would be more then enough for each phaze but still looking forward to this process being complete so we can move onto the next one Domain Selection :)

HammerStrike - 3 weeks ago

Yesssss!

Alazar - 3 weeks ago

Awesome, good job!

Casian - 3 weeks ago

So ready for next week!!!

Sagan - 3 weeks ago

Send those emails!

BuddyBear53 - 3 weeks ago

This is great! Excited to see what maps you have in store for us!

Dleatherus - 3 weeks ago

Jazz - 3 weeks ago
@Dleatherus:

Posted By Dleatherus at 7:15 PM - Thu Oct 18 2018

Please?

MyrmexNamykos - 3 weeks ago

Massive Probs ... can't wait ... wait ... oh still 3 more days to go ... okay I got this ... my Vote can be holden!

BaderWray - 3 weeks ago

HISTORY IN THE MAKING OF GAMING.......

I'M HONOURED AND PROUD TO BE A PART OF THAT,

I HAVE NEVER BEEN DRAWN INTO ANYTHING LIKE THIS IN MY 40 YEARS ON THIS PLANET, WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING AND STRIVING TO ACHIEVE IS NOTHING LESS THAN AWESOME.

KEEP UP THE HARD AND GREAT WORK, AND KNOW THAT EVERYTHING ITS COSTS YOU, TIME, EFFORT, STRESS, BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS,

WE APPRECIATE IT.

MANY HANDS MAKE LIGHT WORK.

Esoba - 3 weeks ago

This is gonna be a great few weeks.

chipla - 3 weeks ago

Awesome

KvotheAodhan - 3 weeks ago

Incredibly exciting! Thank you for bringing us this!

Labbe - 3 weeks ago

This is the most excited I have ever been to hear rules before!

SirApetus - 3 weeks ago

Very exciting! Can not wait for Monday!

GodKingPopo - 3 weeks ago

Tis the season to be jolly!

1cec0ld - 3 weeks ago