COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Do you think it will be better to start off playing multiple souls, or only one?

So, we know that you'll start off with 3 souls, but given that they are starting souls they probably won't have much in the way of lifetime experience. We also know that new souls created later on will typically have a boost (to help players who join the game later catch up with those that have already been playing). So the question is, do you think it would be more beneficial to stick to just one soul to start off with, and then maybe start another after your first lifetime runs out (getting the late comer boost) or to start off with 2 or 3 souls right from the start so they all gain experience?

Personally I really want to have one character focused on economic activities and one focused on military activities. The question is whether to start with both right off the bat, or focus on one and then build the other one up later.

2/27/2017 8:16:16 PM #1

Personally, for me I will be creating two characters at the start. Even though it would double my cost per lifetime I think it would be handy a extra character. Now my only reservation is not knowing whether I will go with 2 characters on one account or just go ahead and buy a 2nd copy of the game and make the 2nd character there.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

2/27/2017 8:31:44 PM #2

I actually asked the same basic question back in December and Caspian was nice enough to drop his insights on us.

2/28/2017 12:40:43 AM #3

A related question would be, will never-used souls already on an account receive boosting to match newly-purchased souls as the game gets older?

2/28/2017 4:37:10 AM #4

Thanks for the link, good answer from Caspian. So yea, I'll be making at least 2 different characters to start with, possibly 3 but most likely 2. Allows me to have them master different play-styles without me having to switch back and forth with the same character and just being mediocre.

2/28/2017 4:38:36 PM #5

Taco made me curious.

2/28/2017 4:54:00 PM #6

What do you think? Seems to me that one soul makes sense

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

2/28/2017 5:26:08 PM #7

Many nobles plan alts so that they can take part in more risky lifestyles and be more mobile, something they may otherwise find difficult.

If you don't have the constraints imposed by homes or businesses to manage, there's less point. After all you're only playing one at a time and we've been led to believe you only gain skill while online. Discovery, story points and even age may reward a single character or at least a "main" more, even if it means multi-skilling.

2/28/2017 6:39:39 PM #8

It depends on how much progression really matters. The more progression matters the less viable alts are. For example if it took 6 months of progression to make a name for yourself and your character dies in ~1 year than doing that twice wouldn't really be viable but I don't think CoE is aiming for that. I think they are moving away from progression based stuff and making the individual items and character/player skill more important.

If that is the case than alts may be viable. Also as said above, if your a noble and don't want a bad rep or just want to PvP you may also want an alt.

I don't know anymore.

3/1/2017 5:23:28 AM #9

If you don't use an alt then i can see unused souls having a bit of a 'leg-up' so to say. I think it should all depend on how you progress the souls you use. Giving new players the ability to easily catch up to long term players seem a bit cheap and unfair to those who put great amounts of time and effort into their characters.

3/1/2017 5:26:06 AM #10

I'll more than likely just work with one. It takes time to develop good skills and I don't wish to dilute such things by focusing on more than one character.

- Shmuck

3/1/2017 5:35:02 AM #11

Gonna have multiple here. One for NA-West, one for NA-East - and possibly an alt for NA-West. I can get in 30-40hours+/week of gaming so, hopefully I can get everything done I'd like.

3/1/2017 8:39:18 AM #12

Considering I can play 2 hours a day max, I will happily spend all my gaming time for a single character. Even when I had more time in past, I never actively played with alts.