COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Alts why?

So I've been around a while and given how COEs very design via skill ramps and literal rebirth leads itself to reward those who play a single character.

Why do so many plan on playing alts?

In games of the past I played alts. As a healer I would sometimes get bored and make something new typically a DPS. So I understand the allure. But given how I can just toss myself off a cliff a few times and reroll in my next life with the same soul why run two characters at the same time?

12/18/2016 5:51:57 PM #1

I will have a NA alt.

12/18/2016 6:00:06 PM #2

I personally wont have the time for an Alt. This games isn't a fast paced game, just developing the one character is going to take longer and be harder than people realise even with offline scripting. By the time I've finished a shift at work and got home and eaten I will only manage a few hours gameplay during the week to play, meaning every hour on the one character is gonna be important.

12/18/2016 6:01:19 PM #3

Playstyle choices. In every game I've had alts in, I've had them because I like having specific skillsets on each character I play. CoE is perfectly designed for that.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

12/18/2016 6:02:51 PM #4

Posted By Wolfguarde at 6:01 PM - Sun Dec 18 2016

Playstyle choices. In every game I've had alts in, I've had them because I like having specific skillsets on each character I play. CoE is perfectly designed for that.

The devs have stated that to develop even one skill set to any significant potential will take several lifetimes/reincarnations. People aren't grasping the difficulty they'll have working on multiple characters.

12/18/2016 6:05:07 PM #5

If you fancy doing assassination or other illegal activities in your free time then it's much better to do it on a separate character. Otherwise you could sully your whole reputation etc.

12/18/2016 6:06:22 PM #6

It doesn't mean I can't play 2 characters. I'll do what I want on my "main" and something else on my other character. If I got time and money why not? If I want to be a black smith and maybe something else, why not make a second character just for gathering and supplying my main character?

Carantenum is looking for more citizens. Click on the signature for more information!

12/18/2016 6:10:56 PM #7

Posted By SoulSpark at 04:02 AM - Mon Dec 19 2016

Posted By Wolfguarde at 6:01 PM - Sun Dec 18 2016

The devs have stated that to develop even one skill set to any significant potential will take several lifetimes/reincarnations. People aren't grasping the difficulty they'll have working on multiple characters.

True, but not everyone's looking to be the best in their field/s. For me, proficiency enough to complement whatever skill I bring to the table as a player is sufficient. And my alt is going to be a mostly OPC character levelling skillsets that complement my main character's story, and a character I can mess around on without affecting my main's storyline or spirit.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

12/18/2016 6:11:07 PM #8

I just personally think it will be far too much time investment. If you work and have a life, balancing two characters on top of irl activities is going to make playing the game nothing but a chore.

12/18/2016 6:15:48 PM #9

I think there's a few valid reasons why people may want to have multiple characters at once.

The most obvious for me is their dynamic story. Each soul has a specific pre-determined set of roles they can play in the ongoing 10-year story. Likewise, each character you create has a pre-determined set of conflicts and encounters they may encounter over their lifetimes, depending on the choices they make.

So while you could in theory have just a single character learn multiple skill sets, having more than one character gives you the opportunity to experience and play more than one role in the story.

Another obvious reason is to play multiple characters in different dynasties. You may have different groups of friends playing, each living in different settlements, in different domains, or even different continents.

While you could use VoIP to communicate, the lack of an in-game mail system and the need to physically meet up with guild mates means if you want to be part of more than one circle of friends, you'll likely want more than one character.

Another option I've seen people list are multiple servers. Characters / souls in CoE cannot transfer between regions. This is to preserve the game's balance with respect to souls, talents, etc. So if you've got friends, or you're interested in the story of another region's servers, you may entertain creating a new character on another server.

Another option, related to the multiple story-lines, is the potential for Talents. As Talents are now tied to characters, not souls, the number of characters you create directly increases your chances of having a character receive a Talent. But, as we've said before, you'd still need to activate the Talent, which means being active in the story and world events. So even having multiple characters doesn't increase your chances if you're not playing both regularly.

Finally, while it is possible, given the flexibility of the world, to have a single soul learn different skill-sets rather than play alts, it may still be slightly quicker to have multiple alts learning a broader set of skills. Characters get rested bonuses for sleeping and skill bonuses for eating. Having a couple characters with different sleep schedules and diets could result in slightly faster skill advancement.

That being said, I wouldn't optimize for that scenario and I think the benefit you get in skill advancement from having multiple characters is probably the least efficacious reason.

12/18/2016 6:16:11 PM #10

Edit: Read above.

Carantenum is looking for more citizens. Click on the signature for more information!

12/18/2016 6:50:16 PM #11

Caspian has a (few) valid points but the different dynasties brings to mind a problem.

If you are nobility taking part in the DoD what is stopping someone from using an alt to join a kingdom and acting as a spy?

Sure it adds spice and content as you have to fight without and from within. But with everything I've read about coe focusing on the RPG side of things how does this ultimate in meta-gaming fit in?

I get more chances at a talent and different paths of the story (see SWTOR) but In other pvp games like EVE infiltrators have brought down some of the largest alliances in game. Is that a valid reason to have an alt as well?

Personally I have time for only Mal but I'm not advocating either way. Just curious how things like this will play out/be viewed.

12/18/2016 6:54:41 PM #12

I hadn't given it much thought recently, but think I will. Perhaps that way I can still roll a farmer ;) He'll be offline a fair bit while I focus on running a county but it's a good plan ;)

12/18/2016 6:55:45 PM #13

I do have a counter to the friends bit Caspian mentioned. There are definitely valid points in there, however, I will say that in regards to friends it is early enough where friends can triangulate themselves into the same Kingdom at the very least in order to play together. Even if different duchies or counties appeal to them.

12/18/2016 7:05:36 PM #14

Anyone who's played UO will understand, multiple characters is actually pretty pointless. Just make a list of all skills you want, then do those things. This game literally rewards you for playing the way you want to play, by making that your character's skills. Want to be a combat medic who fights, but can turn and bandage wounds? Can do! Want to be a bard who steals from foreign travelers? Weheheeeell go for it!

12/18/2016 7:05:58 PM #15

Posted By Malais at 10:50 AM - Sun Dec 18 2016

Caspian has a (few) valid points but the different dynasties brings to mind a problem.

If you are nobility taking part in the DoD what is stopping someone from using an alt to join a kingdom and acting as a spy?

Sure it adds spice and content as you have to fight without and from within. But with everything I've read about coe focusing on the RPG side of things how does this ultimate in meta-gaming fit in?

I get more chances at a talent and different paths of the story (see SWTOR) but In other pvp games like EVE infiltrators have brought down some of the largest alliances in game. Is that a valid reason to have an alt as well?

Personally I have time for only Mal but I'm not advocating either way. Just curious how things like this will play out/be viewed.

I don't see how an alt as a spy will prevent role-playing. I doubt there are many who would willingly use their only character in that role if it means they couldn't spend time actually playing with the people they really do give their allegiance to. I also think that the potential existence of spies does make for livelier gameplay as you've said. In Eve there wasn't a single Corp I ever joined that wasn't concerned about spies in the ranks and it added a whole new dimension to the dynamic.