COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Rebuff to Adam Burrfoot on the Recent Town Crier and the relation to it in CoEs Riding system

Shown here

You mentioned that anyone can ride a horse easily is wrong, the reason Riding vacation locations accept newcomers to riding is because those horses have done those exact same routes and exercises for a longtime, they are specifically trained to do that essentially without you on the horse. In reality the rider does very little.

Real riding skill happens when you take the horse away from the ride then "newcomers" will fail; Horses naturally follow the one in front as they are herd animals so one trained rider can lead a load of newcomers to riding that way, it is used in the trade to make newcomers feel like they have achieved a lot in the first lesson when in reality you have not progressed much and that you will need to keep doing it to learn the skills needed.

I invite you Adam the next time you are in the UK to come to my Stables and I will give you a lesson in the Arena to teach you some Equestrian skills; As it is a big misconception that "everyone can ride a horse, it is easy!" when it is blatantly false and can be seen as ignorant.

Also the Gaits are Walk, Trot, Canter, I hope SBS doesn't call a Canter a Gallop, gallop is a thing but what many think of gallop is actually a canter.

How does this relate to CoE?

Well the way I see the Riding skill tree progressing is that everyone can at least walk on the horse after a few minute observation of others riding with some basic trot after a short while of riding, the key is the efficiency of your movements increases as you progress along the skill tree. So you will be able to canter, it will reduce the energy usage of the character etc...

Leading up to actions such as jumping, grid jumping, saddle movements (your character sitting back-to-front on the saddle). This allows for actions such as mounted archery, Lancing, throwing Javelins etc..

Kind Regards

Horse Lord

P.S Tom says hi

8/25/2017 8:42:24 AM #1

I always feel such a dislike for you when you argue the semantics like what constitutes a Gallop versus a Canter. Like god forbid SBS calls a canter a gallop.. you tend to come across to me as arrogant with your vast knowledge of horses. That being said, I do like the system you outlined at the end of your post: a very fluid and natural skill progression of starting with a walk by observation and building up to greater skills though riding itself would be a fun way to learn how to ride a horse. As SBS has mentioned any player can become a novice in any skill tree and only higher level skills require professional training so this would fit well into their current philosophy of skill learning. So I like the idea, just not how you approach it lol

Aspiring Lumberjack, NA-W

8/25/2017 8:50:14 AM #2

Posted By CuteLilPuppyDog at 09:42 AM - Fri Aug 25 2017

I always feel such a dislike for you when you argue the semantics like what constitutes a Gallop versus a Canter. Like god forbid SBS calls a canter a gallop.. you tend to come across to me as arrogant with your vast knowledge of horses. That being said, I do like the system you outlined at the end of your post: a very fluid and natural skill progression of starting with a walk by observation and building up to greater skills though riding itself would be a fun way to learn how to ride a horse. As SBS has mentioned any player can become a novice in any skill tree and only higher level skills require professional training so this would fit well into their current philosophy of skill learning. So I like the idea, just not how you approach it lol

Even though I disagree with your first statement, I do agree with your last bit, I incorporated what I believe the SBS method to learning is and put it in my idea for how the Riding skill tree works.

I do not believe it is semantics a Canter and a Gallop are two different movements, a Canter is collected whilst a Gallop isn't, hate to sound arrogant though :(

8/25/2017 10:40:01 AM #3

It is a sad world when expert knowledge is called arrogance.

8/25/2017 10:43:07 AM #4

Posted By GrumpyHobbit at 11:40 AM - Fri Aug 25 2017

It is a sad world when expert knowledge is called arrogance.

Indeed, but I shall continue what I am doing.

8/25/2017 11:34:51 AM #5

It's hardly semantics to get a word right...words have definitions, and when used wrong, it's wrong. The correct response to a correction is "thank you" so you can stop being wrong...

If SBS decided that all in-game assets would refer to the sides of a boat as "left and port," using "port" as a replacement for "right," it wouldn't be semantics to point out that port=left and starboard=right. A lot more people know boats and planes, or have played games with them, than know horses, so that mistake is unlikely and would be more likely called out, but it isn't semantics and no one would say it was fine to launch with such an obvious mistake.

I, for one, hope there is a high degree of fidelity to riding, so long as the mechanic can be made fun. I don't want Black Desert Online type grinding of riding skill, setting a loop and riding a big circle for 10 hours while I'm at work.

I'd be curious, with other species confirmed as mount options, how many details are dependent on equine physiology...what would need to change if riding a wolf, large cat or a bear? In addition to gait differences and being digigrade or plantigrade, what aspects of biology would drive mount suitability, saddle design, or differences in how you would ride?

8/25/2017 12:09:26 PM #6

I know your passionate about horses and such, but if you have a disagreement with something on the Town Crier, shouldn't you go to them with the issue?

I don't agree with everything they say but on the stream they were generalising and not trying to belittle horse riders or the skill it takes to do certain things. Their was point mainly was CoE is a game and it shouldn't be difficult to perform tasks of the era.

The era in which we'll be in will be one that horses are a primary mode of transport. IRL horse riding will be hard, but only because we have cars and bikes and other modes of transport that is more readily available and don't take up as much space to keep in comparison to horses.

If we lived in an age where horses were common place for each and every household, we would learn to ride them from an early age, thus they would be easy to ride.

CoE is a game after all and you should really compare it to how things work in the modern world.

8/25/2017 12:22:24 PM #7

I listened to Adam say this, wording was anyone can ride a horse. Now I have rode horses for a long time and gone out with first timers and yes they can ride the horse. Now I do laugh next day when they get the saddle sores. But have gone put with large groups and everyone can at least get on the horse and face in the correct direction. Now we are talking about horses trained and they will do most the work. My wife's first time horseback riding she caught on very fast. So if we are just talking riding the horse than yes any person can do it.

I think we are just being anal about this because Adam said it.

8/25/2017 12:52:44 PM #8

With all due respect, this is the 8th thread you've made about horses. I fail to see why this can't all be compiled into one single thread via reserved posts.

8/25/2017 1:34:57 PM #9

Holy shite this community is getting toxic with these downvotes ! I guess when someone who isn't as popular in the community comes with straight up facts people get flustered and want to shoot it down cuz jealousy ... glad I haven't chosen a community to settle down in yet - it could be a very poor first impression what with all these try hards around .

8/25/2017 1:37:43 PM #10

Posted By Yorick at 1:52 PM - Fri Aug 25 2017

With all due respect, this is the 8th thread you've made about horses. I fail to see why this can't all be compiled into one single thread via reserved posts.

Because I don't know how many threads I will make and the way I been doing it allows each topic to be discussed about more easily.

I have a compendium linked in my signature.

8/25/2017 1:42:49 PM #11

Good points maul and inccubus. So we can conclude riding on trained horses while someone leads is easy compared to some other conditions.

I would like SBS to use proper terminology but i don't think it would be the end of the world if they didn't.

As to the horse thread compilation, this topic refers to a specific situation so I understand it being seperate. I'm sure many people have made many threads that could have easily been compiled together yet this seems to be the only one to catch your eye, yorick.

8/25/2017 2:35:15 PM #12

No offense but someone voiced opinion on a fan made podcast and you become offended and have reaction like Casp himself sat there and said "everyone will be ride a horse because it's easy". Why not bring it to their discord and discuss it with them or PM Adam?

Regarding what's been said, I agree with Nagash, horses are form of transportation, since it's used a lot in elyria why not allow everyone to ride it. Nobody is taking ability to become good/better rider from you, as Adam said, if you train more you will be able to ride more efficiently, but basic travel on horseback from town to town should be available to people.

Another point - horse is not the only mount in CoE, so there is logic in allowing for character to ride mount in the local area/native to biome, so it's ok if nerans know how to ride horse, dras can ride giant spiders (or idk) not vice-versa.

8/25/2017 3:00:48 PM #13

I certainly hope they do not base everything off equestrian style of riding. Would be rather silly to have everyone require to post while trotting. I have been riding all my life. I feel that equestrian is more for show.

As for skill needed to ride. As long as the horse has been trained any newcomer can ride with ease. The horse does not need to be a follow the leader trail horse either. Just trained enough that it does nothing to endanger the new rider.

The barn I first learned at, before having horses myself, did not have any lead animals. They would put you on a horse that they felt you could handle. Sometimes you got thrown off but it is all part of the learning experience.

New riders can generally expect to trot during their first lesson. Unless the rider is young and unsure of himself/herself. Even learning to canter does not take long at all. Anything after is exceedingly more difficult.

I agree that a nice fluid skill progression should occur. It just should not be some overbearing task.

EDIT: When I say learn to canter, I mean a controlled canter. Anyone can canter on a trail horse because you do not need to control the horse. You simply hang on and enjoy the ride.

Imgur

8/25/2017 3:33:58 PM #14

Remember that although CoE has horses, it won't be Horse Simulator 2019, like we get it, you are knowledgeable about horses, this isn't a game all around horses.

8/25/2017 3:43:00 PM #15

It might not be a horse simulator but horses are going to be one of the main modes of transportation. Considerable time should be spent on trying to get them right. I honestly wouldn't know much about the terms of canter, gallop, and such but that doesn't mean I can't learn. Fact is I have learnt a lot from video games that I play about various things. I absolutely don't mind when games teach me about thing that I have no idea about.

Maulvorn knows a lot about horses, and riding, and he is offering free advice on it. Why is this that a problem? Ultimately it is up to the developers on how to use it, if they can; but why get upset because he is offering it?