COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
poison

what types of poisons can we expect to see? are there gonna be real life poisons or will it be poisons that are like WoW?

12/20/2017 12:21:35 PM #1

It's unknown at this time. But this game is trying to be close to real life in a lot of aspects; and SBS has stated that knowing how things are crafted IRL will help with crafting in game. So, we probably will see several IRL poisons in this game.

12/20/2017 10:34:53 PM #2

i hope so because being knowledgeable of herbs IRL i know what combination of herbs can make something deadly but also make it healthy.

12/20/2017 10:54:58 PM #3

Posted By neoclydesdale at 4:34 PM - Wed Dec 20 2017

i hope so because being knowledgeable of herbs IRL i know what combination of herbs can make something deadly but also make it healthy.

Keep in my CoE doesn’t take place on Earth. No idea if nightshade, or belladonna exist there.

That being said poisons are craftable and can have different effects. You may have to search around some but I believe it was one of the grab bag QAs they talk about poisons, illness, injury and treatments for them.

12/21/2017 12:38:14 AM #4

Caspian and I were actually going over toxins, poisons and venoms last weekend, coincidentally. I don't have an answer for you as to "which poisons are going to be in the game," but I can say that the system will allow for a broad variety of effects and won't be easy to circumvent without knowledge of the poison involved and how to treat it.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
12/21/2017 4:35:55 AM #5

As inspiration for the poison system, here are some videos about real people killing animals with poision. In the first video two hunters hit a Kudu with an arrow, but afterwards they have to spend hours tracking it down. In the second video. a hunter use a poison that you cannot feel until it suddenly kills you. (This may be a little too much for an MMORPG, but I like the idea of a delayed effect)

12/21/2017 5:00:21 AM #6

I’d certainly like to see slow acting poisons that build up in the system over time...kill them kings slowly I say.

Here, have some more Tortuga Tea

12/21/2017 6:08:58 AM #7

After launch it could like to research for drugs such as truth serum or modafinil (that allows you to stay awake for a long time) or EPO or anabolic steriods. Alternatively it could be fun to research for a drug that changes one of the personality traits of an NPC.

Perhaps the most potent drugs should degrade pretty fast, so that you have to spend time preparing them on site. If you want to poison a king you have to set up a small secret laboratory somewhere in the castle, and you have to plan ahead so the poison is ready whenever the king decides to throw a tea party.

12/21/2017 6:47:36 AM #8

i like the ideas of slow acting poisons and instantaneous poisons alike. i dont think that a stronger poison should degrade per se, just make it harder to actually make and or research.

12/21/2017 6:50:50 AM #9

Posted By Snipehunter at 7:38 PM - Wed Dec 20 2017

Caspian and I were actually going over toxins, poisons and venoms last weekend, coincidentally. I don't have an answer for you as to "which poisons are going to be in the game," but I can say that the system will allow for a broad variety of effects and won't be easy to circumvent without knowledge of the poison involved and how to treat it.

so does that mean that if the one trying to heal them either has to know exactly what poison was used because they know it themselves or they have the poison from the source of the attack? cause if you make a mistake with some poisons IRL and try and treat for something its not then that can make it worse and even unable to treat.

12/21/2017 7:09:38 AM #10

Some slow drugs could have side effects. If a person is slowly being poisoned, Then the skin color could change or she could slowly lose appetite or feel sleepy all the tme.

12/21/2017 7:16:04 AM #11

oh and maybe the ability to get poison/venom from animals like snakes or the poison frogs

12/21/2017 7:34:16 AM #12

Posted By neoclydesdale at 10:50 PM - Wed Dec 20 2017

so does that mean that if the one trying to heal them either has to know exactly what poison was used because they know it themselves or they have the poison from the source of the attack? cause if you make a mistake with some poisons IRL and try and treat for something its not then that can make it worse and even unable to treat.

It definitely can mean that. It depends on the toxin, poison, or venom. You could also, for example, find such things that can't be cured at all, but are survivable if you can endure them running their course. Or potentially come across others that are incapacitating quickly, unless you can manage to expend no energy before being treated. That sort of thing.

• Snipehunter
12/21/2017 7:54:56 AM #13

How does one decide whom to blame for a poison murder? Here is a fairly elaborate version that might work. I don't know if it can be simplified.

Whenever a PC/NPC sells a food item to another PC/NPC she automatically promises that the food item is safe to eat. This means that you can always blame the seller even though she didn't actually poison the food herself. (In order to prosecute the buyer to be able to present the poisoned food item along with some kind of proof that he bought it from the seller)

Similarly a cook is expected to test the raw materials before creating a dish. If the dish turns out to be poisoned, then the cook gets the blame, even if he is unaware of the crime.

A king can use a cupbearer to test the item before eating or perhaps he can ask the local alchemist to test the dirty dish after the food has been eaten. If the dirty dish is found to be poisoned then the king will know who is to blame for the dish.

EDIT: I guess that you cannot stack poisoned items.

12/21/2017 8:35:13 AM #14

what i had planned was putting poison on something that you wore and was activated after a certain length of time. like a ring with poison that (IRL) would be absorbed into the skin after getting wet by your sweat from your hand.