COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
Who will you be? Art Giveaway Results & Portraits!

Who will you be? +Art Giveaway Results & Portraits!

This is a thread for the results of the Who will you be? +Art Giveaway thread. If you haven't already, go ahead and check it out! There are lots of great character ideas.

I just want to thank all who participated in the original thread. Regardless of who won, I had a great time reading all of your ideas. I hope you did too!

I may return to that thread some time and doodle some of the characters there, which of course I'd share with the character's owner. I encourage everyone to continue to post their ideas there and comment on one another's.

If you have concerns, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to leave that feedback here, in the original thread, or PM me.

Without further ado, let's get to the results! I used rolz.org to roll. I typed in a "1d25" command to roll a random number out of 25, the final total reply count (excluding my last post).

alt

Post #2 and post #14 were our winners! Congratulations once again to Violet Winterbourne & Sage Li Wei!

The Portraits

For those interested, I'll explain a little about how I arrived at the current iteration for each character.

I took the person's post, isolated key features of their character (both physical and personality-wise), then studied the dev journals and media that give us a sense of the tribes, their features, their culture, and the way they dress. I made sure to be heavily influenced by both. My goal was to make the character really look like I think they would within the world of Elyria.

I think they turned out pretty well. Let me know what you think!

VIOLET WINTERBOURNE

alt

alt

Violet described their character as a slightly paler Janoa, with bright blue eyes, silky red hair, and a balanced muscle tone. I tried to include these things in the portrait, and thought that while Janoa seem to typically have brown hair and yellow eyes, that genetics can be a surprising and unpredictable thing—thus the unusual bright blue eyes and red hair for a Janoa.

Additionally, I took into account her monarchy status, and began to ask questions like "What does Queen of the Janoa look like? What does she wear?" And I thought, the different hair and eye color could contribute to her royal status. It happens often in our own human culture that rulers are appointed because they have different looks that are deemed "magical." Plus, given the Janoa's religion and showy tendency, a Janoan Queen would be adorned with the spoils of the hunt.

How would you have imagined Violet's character?

ALLUVIAL "ALVY" MARIS THE SAGE

alt

alt

Sage described their character as a Kypiq with a thin face, a beautiful mane of deep red hair, and black eyes. I tried to include these things in the portrait, and similarly scoured dev journals and media regarding the Kypiq. Auburn hair was listed as a Kypiq trait, and so I'd originally wanted to try to draw Alvy with a similar hair color, but felt it took away from what Sage wanted. I kept Alvy's skin lighter because he was described as hardly ever leaving his home.

Once that had been decided, I threw around the idea of a silk and leaf robe. But as I tried iterations of that, I decided a sage researcher would've also likely been somewhat well-traveled. Not to mention, Alvy is a Duke. Surely he would have traded or commissioned a tailor to fashion a Kypiq-friendly doublet! And so I settled on an in-between—a silk shirt and silk/leaf mantle, with a less-Kypiq, more-exotic doublet.

How would you have imagined Sage's character?

Feedback

Once again please leave your thoughts and comments, I read every one and enjoy doing so. If you think I overlooked something, especially about the tribes, or if you had different visions of the characters, I'd love to read your ideas!

2/1/2018 1:43:16 AM #1

Thank you very much Elsy! I'm so glad that you drew Alvy for me. :)

2/1/2018 2:32:53 AM #2

lovely portraits with many nice details. it looks like you put a lot of care into them. i'm greatly impressed.

archer, tamer, survivalist, monster hunter, protector of the weak || duchy of aravier, kingdom of alésia, « næ

2/1/2018 2:37:38 AM #3

I love it so much and I appreciate you making it so much <3 I look forward to more artwork from you in the future ^.^

2/1/2018 5:46:10 AM #4

Thanks everyone! <3

2/2/2018 7:34:25 PM #5

Art work looks great !

You should continue this, great contribution to the community!

I will try and participate next time, if I can :P

If I win I will make you make a hybrid though, all about that biodiversity and mixed bloodlines, right ?

If anyone doesn't know, who reads this, you can mix your genetics ingame by having a child contract with a different tribe, and thus creating different offspring with different traits to some degree.

Anyways cheers !

2/2/2018 8:04:37 PM #6

Flipping Nora. These are bloody gorgeous!

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

2/2/2018 8:49:07 PM #7

Posted By Aneira at 1:34 PM - Fri Feb 02 2018

Art work looks great !

You should continue this, great contribution to the community!

I will try and participate next time, if I can :P

If I win I will make you make a hybrid though, all about that biodiversity and mixed bloodlines, right ?

If anyone doesn't know, who reads this, you can mix your genetics ingame by having a child contract with a different tribe, and thus creating different offspring with different traits to some degree.

Anyways cheers !

Thank you! And I'll be looking out for your post next time. :P

As for hybrids, that'd be interesting! I'd definitely take a crack at it. I like the opportunity to think and speculate on how a character physically exists based on their life situation (thus the write-ups above on my process), and having someone of mixed tribes would make for some interesting thinking on the visual design front, both in their physical features and their dress/adornments.

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 2:04 PM - Fri Feb 02 2018

Flipping Nora. These are bloody gorgeous!

Thanks so much <3

2/2/2018 8:51:38 PM #8

Great concepts. Nice pinecone plug. Encore!

2/3/2018 12:14:31 AM #9

Thanks, Rheika!

And with the new Janoa female images I feel like I wasn't too far off.

2/5/2018 12:48:21 PM #10

wow beautiful concept and great presentation, loved it 😀

2/7/2018 11:42:24 AM #11

Great work there Elsy!

2/7/2018 5:16:21 PM #12

This is exactly the kind of community initiative that I absolutely adore. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this and for doing such fantastic work. I love that you have your own style which is so distinctive but at the same time, these look like they could be concept art from the Soulbound art team!

Amazing work. <3

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

2/8/2018 2:53:50 AM #13

Thanks so much everyone!

Posted By Caelestius at 11:16 AM - Wed Feb 07 2018

This is exactly the kind of community initiative that I absolutely adore. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this and for doing such fantastic work. I love that you have your own style which is so distinctive but at the same time, these look like they could be concept art from the Soulbound art team!

Amazing work. <3

Thank you! I find it fun to host these things and people's (usually positive) reactions are the reasons why I don't mind putting in the work. Though of course SBS's generosity with their IP giving that I didn't even know was a thing until recently is certainly good incentive, heh.

And I'm flattered you think they look like they could be SBS concept art! I'm hoping to be able to get into that field some day. Would be cool.