COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
farmer or miner?

I have been going through here and i know there will be npcs to do some of this but i am curious how many of yall will be a farmer or a miner. It seems like i don't see many people wanting to be one of these things.

Count Weylyn of Vit Kanin. Friend code B7D0EF

6/20/2018 2:21:27 AM #1

I'd go with being a miner if I had to choose between the two, I had a grandmaster miner on UO and the high level ores were a great source of income. Plus it was a risky business mining, so the risk added to the price of the ores.

Farming, well, the house is nearby and maybe help if you need it, at the mines, its just you, your packmule and whatever weapons you bring with you.

6/20/2018 2:35:27 AM #2

I've come across many players who've expressed an interest in farming, but very few who've expressed an interest in mining. Like Krakonz though, if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose mining. It just holds my interest more than farming can.

6/20/2018 2:51:04 AM #3

Hieronymus is correct. There are lots of us interested in farming but I haven’t seen more than a couple people into mining. Both will be needed.

%5D(https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/19014/naw-drakemoore)

6/20/2018 4:13:17 AM #4

Rather be a famer a lot more to farming bees , crops for crafting and supplying troops raising animals for food and crafting. Farming is a big job not sure if all this falls under horticulture which would include tree farming So many aspects of farming going to require people that are dedicated to the profession with a lot of work.

Only problem is I have is you cant be a jack of all trades but was wondering if you could farm and raise animals both, Farmers profession may be split between agriculture and animal husbandry. waiting to see the actual skill sets when in place

6/20/2018 4:39:13 AM #5

I suspect most potential miners have been silent because we have no idea what the actual process will entail. For example we know we can create tunnels underground and can even tunnel off our parcels, but is that violating any laws and if it is does the game warn you? Will there be a physics system in place necessitating shoring up the tunnels as we go? Will prospecting the land above give some indication of the mineral value below or are there no outward indications? If there is a physics system in place does it also affect the property above, i.e. can it cause buildings and pasturage above to collapse into an open quarry? All these unknowns make those interested in the pursuit hesitate to speak up until we hear more about what mechanics will be in place.

6/20/2018 5:51:06 AM #6

There's a whole guild of miners and smiths in Bordweall. Though that's as far as my knowledge expands to any depth. I imagine a lot of people who own land will utilize farming to supplement their main professions

6/20/2018 1:27:32 PM #7

I'd probably be a farmer, honestly. Maybe when my adventuring days are over and if I haven't really done a whole lot of networking I like the idea of buying a plot of land and working it until my character dies. Maybe pass it on to my children so they have a home to come back to after their adventures.

Check out the Village of Astyria! We are recruiting!

NA - East : Bordweall : Bloodoak : Novigrad - Shield Wall Strong! Friend Code: 3D90E8

6/20/2018 2:11:13 PM #8

Going to own a farm myself. But, I can see the appeal of mining for more adventurous personalities. While they are both gathering professions, with farming you can create your own destiny in a sense. With mining, you will probably have to leave the comfort and safety of a town and try to determine the best place to start cracking away on a rock with your pick axe.

If someone does it well, I can see mining being quite a lucrative venture.

6/22/2018 8:43:13 AM #9

i would wait till domain selection and see what tribe/city you will join that might make the choice easier :D

6/24/2018 3:43:59 PM #10

I will be doing farming on the side of my alchemy, mining and blacksmithing is something that i want to try though

6/24/2018 3:46:41 PM #11

It would be a lot easier to decide if we knew what our continent looked like. As it is, it's hard to choose wisely.

• I'm big enough to forgive you. But I'm not stupid enough to trust you again. (A29D00/#9056)
7/14/2018 4:29:06 AM #12

Once a mine has yielded its last resource, I expect it will make a great lair for beasts, monsters or bandits. In turn, this may attract the more adventurous sort who want a bit of dungeon crawling in their days. Win-win over time.

The Shadowmunk bows deeply and shuffles back into the shadows...

7/14/2018 4:38:33 AM #13

Depends if i feel like hitting rocks or dirt at the time :P

7/14/2018 5:51:49 AM #14

Posted By AlphaWolfofthepack at

i am curious how many of yall will be a farmer or a miner. It seems like i don't see many people wanting to be one of these things.

There have been a few players in the OCE Kingdom's expressing an interest in these things. Farming in particular. You see more blacksmiths than miners, but those jobs definitely have some overlap. Plus, mining seems like a basic entry level job anyone can grab.

7/14/2018 6:02:45 AM #15

Could do some small mining while digging wet graves and my fancy flooded crypt.. cant really imagine doing much farming in the swamp, herb gathering perhaps..?