COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Nobles Locked to Majority Tribe Question

Good Afternoon SBS,

I was wondering if it would be possible to get clarification on what is meant by Nobles have to be the majority tribe of the biome they pick as a noble. My question comes out of a concern for nobles that place in transition biomes, as well as the general mechanics behind having to be a particular tribe for the Nobles where as the Aristocracy has more ability to choose. I am wondering if this is a mechanical limitation or more of a "most likely" type limitation.

I'll bring up my own case in point, but will also point out that on the maps there are ALOT of transitional biome duchies.

Lets say for example I was a double King, and I choose Kingdom 1 and 2 on map N. As a King the majority tribe in this Kingdom configuration is Hrothi. Am I obligated in this Kingdom configuration as a King to pick a Hrothi Biome for my duchy and a Hrothi settlement as my city, IE is my choice limited to only those options or is the requirement that my King character either has to be Neran, Hrothi, or Brudvir (one of the main tribes of that Kingdom)?

Further as a King in that Kingdom if I were to, say for example, choose this Duchy, a county in this area, and a City here (see image below)

Would I, placing a settlement in this location, in what seems to be a very transitional biome, in a very transitional duchy, have the choice of choosing either Neran or Hrothi as the King of this Kingdom?

The same could be true of a number of transition biome duchies. case in point this one that is labeled as in the Taiga but seems to be more Hrothi.

In this duchy, though it is in Taiga, it looks like there is alot of mountain in this oddly shaped duchy. If the Duke were to place in the south of this duchy one would think they would be able to get a full Hrothi settlement and be able to choose Hrothi as their tribe.

Can we get some additional clairification on how this selection would work? As of yet the only way that I can think that the nobles would be more restricted than a Mayor is if they are limited on what settlements they will be able to choose at the settlement level of domain selection. Or that perhaps we are only talking about Nobility being limited to the major tribes in a Kingdom, meaning if there were a minority of say Kypiq in their settlement that they selected while a Mayor as aristocracy could choose to be a Kypiq in that settlement a Count or above would have to choose one of the major tribes of that Kingdom or area.

I feel that this is an important consideration for people to look into as they are doing their mock domain selections leading up to domain selection.

If you have additional examples like this one:

would a Duke in this duchy be able to select a Neran as their leader as this is a transitional biome from Shrublands to Grasslands and Neran are a Major tribe in Kingdom 3, Map N?

Please feel free to share your questions or clarifications on this subject as well!

"Pledged to the betterment of the Studio and CoE through realistic, open, honest communication about what players can and will do with the mechanics you give them."

Come follow me on Twitch for CoE News and general hangout stuff n things! https://www.twitch.tv/adamrhyne

11/12/2018 1:58:38 PM #16

Very interesting question.

Thanks for bringing it up here in the forums rather than just in Discord.

I can see there are a lot of theories behind the various viewpoints.

I do hope we get a definitive statement from the Devs on it.

Especially prior to settlement placement.

My own opinions are as follows:

1) I do believe the "racial" restrictions are there for a reason. It's my thinking it has to do with keeping the unique and individual nature of each tribe through launch. As someone already mentioned above, there can be ways that King Wenceslas can lead the Tribe of Mud People even though he is actually descended from space aliens, but I don't think that is what they want coming out of the blocks. It would dilute each tribes particular lore and their individual diversities before they had a chance to develop. It will eventually happen over the course of the ten years. And I think they do want us to do it. I just don't think that is where they want the game to start.

2) I do think the definitions of majority and minority do need to be addressed. Especially in the transitional biome areas. What constitutes the majority? And how is that calculated. Is it the greatest population in the Kingdom? The Duchy within the Kingdom? Each individual county? And if those differ from county to county, as I'm sure they will, which takes precedence? Restating it using your example above, I would say that the King of Kingdom One should probably be either Brudvir or Hrothi. And of Kingdom Two either Hrothi or Neran. He certainly shouldn't be Janoan. But does that mean if you are King of both, that you have to be Hrothi, because it is more dominant in both? Or is it based on the majority of the population in the physical location of the capital? If the capital is located in the Neran section of Kingdom Two, can you then be a Neran as that is the local majority vs. the total Kingdom majority? That is what needs to be clarified in regards to the term majority in my opinion.

3) My last point is one that I know that all the Kings I have come in contact with have been most attentive to following. That the good of the overall game is more important than any individual. No matter their position, or the amount of coin they have spent, or when they spent it, the Nobles first role at this time is to lead and develop the rest of the game for the future players. It is a role of great responsibility and some self-sacrifice. And not cut out for everybody. So far we have seen quality leadership in these positions as we all work collaboratively in putting the foundation together of what will hopefully be a long and very wonderful world. This focus on the big picture needs to stay true as we go forward.

Well...That was a lot more words than I thought it would be...LOL

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

11/12/2018 8:10:57 PM #17

Transition biomes are still located in specifically named biomes on the map, each of which has a particular tribe shown as dominate.

Until stated here or otherwise, it would be best for royalty to plan as such. In the first example given by the OP that would mean that, regardless of where in the biome the settlement is located, regardless of terrain, they would indeed have to be Hrothi, because it is located in the Rocky Mountain Steppe which are dominate Hrothi.

11/12/2018 8:18:04 PM #18

Posted By Ravenlute at 3:10 PM - Mon Nov 12 2018

Transition biomes are still located in specifically named biomes on the map, each of which has a particular tribe shown as dominate.

Until stated here or otherwise, it would be best for royalty to plan as such. In the first example given by the OP that would mean that, regardless of where in the biome the settlement is located, regardless of terrain, they would indeed have to be Hrothi, because it is located in the Rocky Mountain Steppe which are dominate Hrothi.

While I agree that appears to be the current stance, I think the point is to get them to potentially re-consider that. That is ridiculously restricting once you get to Duke+.

Imgur

11/12/2018 8:48:46 PM #19

"Perhaps I can be of assistance..."

The system, at the broad level, works as we've mentioned but let me explain the specific rules.

First, a piece of information: When Domain and Settlement Selection time arrives, one of the things you'll be able to see for each Biome, Duchy, County and Settlement will be the demographic breakdown of which tribes live there. This means that you'll be able to know precisely which duchies, counties, etc. in your kingdom house which tribes and what percentage of their populations each tribe in the region represents.

So, with that in mind, the rules for tribe selection are going to work like this:

1) When a monarch picks the kingdom, they also pick the biome that represents the Kingdom Seat. The monarch is then bound to the tribe that calls that biome home, irrespective of the demographics for their specifically selected duchy, county, or settlement. (Biome in this case means the overall biome -- as marked on the currently available maps -- and ignores transitional duchies or microbiomes at the borders between overarching biomes.)

2) When a Duke or Duchess picks a duchy, they will be bound to the tribe that is most numerous in that duchy, irrespective of the make up of their selected county or settlement. In the case of a tie in representation, a duke or duchess will be able to pick between them. (At this level a tie would be exceedingly rare, however)

3) When a Count or Countess picks a county, they will be bound to the tribe that is most numerous in that county, or any tribe that has at least 75% as much representation. For example, if the To'resk are the largest block at 40% of the settlement, but the Janoa and Neran each make up at least 30% of the the settlement, the Count or Countess can pick between To'resk, Janoa, or Neran.

4) When a mayor picks a settlement, they will be bound to the tribe that is most numerous in that settlement, or any tribe that has at least half as much representation. For example, if the Neran are the largest block at 40% of the settlement, but Kypiq and Waerd both make up at least 20% of the settlement, the mayor can pick between Neran, Kypiq, or Waerd.

5) At any level below mayor, tribe choice is limited to what families or wards exist in the location you want to start within.

What this means is that you'll want to carefully consider the top-level choice in your "stack" of Biome/duchy/county/settlement choices as a monarch, duke, count, as that's where the deciding factor in your tribe choice will reside. But as I said, you'll be able to see this information during domain and settlement selection at all levels of granularity, so you will have the information necessary to make an informed choice.

In essence, this sort of helps to mirror the effect of history and popular choice among the citizenry: When a monarch picks a biome as the kingdom seat they are, in a sense, saying "This tribe is/was the seed of this kingdom." While the looser choices available to a mayor are more about the reality of the demographic breakdowns, a sort of "in the trenches things are really more like this" view, if that makes sense.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
11/12/2018 8:54:19 PM #20

Thank you so much for the clarification Snipe!

"Pledged to the betterment of the Studio and CoE through realistic, open, honest communication about what players can and will do with the mechanics you give them."

Come follow me on Twitch for CoE News and general hangout stuff n things! https://www.twitch.tv/adamrhyne

11/12/2018 9:21:21 PM #21

So does a Duke with multiple duchies that are in different biomes get to pick which one is representative of his/her duchy?

11/12/2018 9:21:36 PM #22

Wait for clarification:

1) When a monarch picks the kingdom, they also pick the biome that represents the Kingdom Seat. The monarch is then bound to the tribe that calls that biome home, irrespective of the demographics for their specifically selected duchy, county, or settlement. (Biome in this case means the overall biome -- as marked on the currently available maps -- and ignores transitional duchies or microbiomes at the borders between overarching biomes.)

If I select the Lower Mountain Forest as the representative for the Kingdom seat, and then I pick duchies in the Rocky Mountain Steppe Biome would my King character then be a Neran? Or by selecting the representative Kingdom seat does that bind me to picking a duchy in that biome? In the case where I have 3 duchies and I pick 1 duchy in that biome and 2 in the Rocky Mountain Steppe and place my city/counties in the Rocky Mountain Steppe would I still be a Neran King? Or is my seat of power (my settlement) required to be in the biome chosen as the representative Kingdom seat biome?

Case in point if in the map below I choose Lower Montane Forest as the "biome that represents the Kingdom Seat" and then I choose Y7, Y5, Y3 and place my counties and city in Y5, because I am the King and I chose the Lower Montane Forest as the "biome that represents the Kingdom Seat" my character would start as a Neran "irrespective of the demographics for my specifically selected duchies, counties, or settlement.". Just checking if I am reading that right :-)

The same goes for Multi-package holding Dukes. Do they get the choice based upon the majority tribe in the specific duchy where they placed their counties / settlements or is it combining all of the tribes demographics amongst all of their duchies and they have to choose the majority tribe from there?

As an example if someone had 3 duchies in this Kingdom

They could theoretically sellect Y8, Y5, and R2 and have 1 duchy in 3 different biomes. The majority based off of population could be Neran, or could be Brudvir, or could be Hrothi, however if they place their counties and city in Y8 I wouldnt expect to see many Brudvir there, but it could be possible all 3 tribes are tied for population there and they would be able to choose one of the 3 regardless of where they place their county / city. Which tbh is fine as far as I am concerned I am just making sure that we understand the nuance.

11/12/2018 9:34:21 PM #23

Don't like the answer, but I guess thanks all the same Snipe.

Imgur

11/12/2018 9:39:02 PM #24

To clarify Adam, when you pick the kingdom seat, you're also saying "and this is where the capital will be located" - So if you picked the Lower Montaine Forest, you would need to put your capital, and its county and duchy, in that biome.

• Snipehunter
11/12/2018 9:44:49 PM #25

Posted By Dakota at 1:21 PM - Mon Nov 12 2018

So does a Duke with multiple duchies that are in different biomes get to pick which one is representative of his/her duchy?

If you have multiple duchies the duchies you select must be adjacent and they are then combined into a single duchy, to which your choice is bound to. So if your new larger duchy crosses biome borders, its resulting demographics would be where your choice restriction comes from.

• Snipehunter
11/12/2018 9:45:25 PM #26

Posted By Snipehunter at 2:39 PM - Mon Nov 12 2018

To clarify Adam, when you pick the kingdom seat, you're also saying "and this is where the capital will be located" - So if you picked the Lower Montaine Forest, you would need to put your capital, and its county and duchy, in that biome.

Yes that pretty much covers that little bit of confusion for the Monarch level. The last piece with the Multi-package holding dukes. Is the population added up across all of the duchies they select and averaged from there to determine what tribe they will have to be or it is specifically the duchy that they place their seat of power in that determines their required tribe?

**Edit: Answered already! - Thanks Snipe!

11/12/2018 9:46:03 PM #27

Posted By Snipehunter at 2:44 PM - Mon Nov 12 2018

Posted By Dakota at 1:21 PM - Mon Nov 12 2018

If you have multiple duchies the duchies you select must be adjacent and they are then combined into a single duchy, to which your choice is bound to. So if your new larger duchy crosses biome borders, its resulting demographics would be where your choice restriction comes from.

Yep that covers it, Thank you again Snipe!

11/12/2018 9:59:05 PM #28

Follow up question if possible:

During KoE can we slaughter the locals and bring in characters from other biomes to play as a specific race in a specific biome or will the population numbers reset to what we saw in Domain Selection map before expo / launch ?

11/12/2018 10:38:01 PM #29

Posted By JohnWhite at 9:59 PM - Mon Nov 12 2018

During KoE can we slaughter the locals and bring in characters from other biomes to play as a specific race in a specific biome or will the population numbers reset to what we saw in Domain Selection map before expo / launch ?

Slaughter the locals and you may find a full scale rebellion - so your rule will be the inside of a prison cell!

11/12/2018 10:42:38 PM #30

Posted By JohnWhite at 3:59 PM - Mon Nov 12 2018

Been a while since we had a genocidal post.

My personal hope is no. You can migrate in bloodlines changing the micro level but not the demographics at the macro level. Ie small changes but not enough to change the statistics in Snipes post.