COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Policy restricting mayors from selecting some towns

TL;DR: The current policy prohibiting mayors from selecting town+ settlements in unclaimed counties where only one such settlement exists is IMO unnecessary and will result in a lot of confusion and bad feelings toward SBS. I propose a couple of changes if scrapping the policy entirely is not an option. I welcome readers to point out holes in my logic or errors in my numbers, which I believe are good but not perfect.

There are ca. 1,350 multi-settlement counties on Luna which contain only 1 town+ settlement. That means that mayors will be locked out of selecting over 60% of the towns on that server. Dukes and counts are more likely to select multi-town+ counties, thus leaving an even higher percentage of the remaining towns untouchable by mayors.

I believe the number of players that this policy seems to protect is quite small. They would be:

1) Players that cared enough to pay good amounts of money for count titles.

2) Who then do not care enough to keep track of D&SS such that they know that maps are out and their window is occurring within the next ca. 3 weeks.

3) Who then wake up to the fact that D&SS has started during the ca. 2-3 week period between the end of count selection week and the beginning of the reverse auction.

There are ca. 1,058 Luna count titles currently in circulation (1728 counties and 670 count title upgrades still available in the store at this writing). It seems to me that the number of those that will fit the above criteria will be a very small percentage. Even if it is as high as 20%, and I would be very surprised if it were even half that, the effect is still to lock off a high percentage of town+ settlements from many hundreds of mayors in order to protect the interests of a relatively few players. You will likely end up with mayors selecting hamlets while 300+ unavailable towns beam tantalizingly from the shelves through the end of D&SS.

I realize one intent here is to avoid having to upgrade hamlets and villages to towns after a truant count belatedly selects one in a county where the only town+ settlement is already selected. But this policy will also create the need for similar upgrades: Players will purchase a village or hamlet in a county that does not have a count, purchase that county in reverse auction, and then their original village or hamlet will have to be upgraded to a town to be the county seat. I think this will also result in more hamlet-to-town conversions (as there are many 1 Town+ settlement counties that do not have villages), which could have especially harsh sustainability consequences.

The obvious, and IMO best, solution to this is not to restrict mayors in their settlement selections. However, I believe there are two compromises you could also consider:

1) Do not restrict mayor selections until the number of 1 Town+ settlement counties is equal to the number of outstanding unclaimed county titles. This protects the truant counts while opening up over 1,000 town options to most and possibly all of your player base (some of whom believe they were guaranteed a town+, though I respectfully disagree with them). These are fixed numbers, so I don’t think they would be hard to code into the system (says the person with no real coding experience).

2) In cases where the mayor of a village or hamlet in a 1 town+ settlement purchases the county in reverse auction, allow them the option of exchanging their village or hamlet for the unowned single town+. Not sure how easy that would be in the system, but it seems much cleaner and more sustainable than upgrading a village or hamlet to a second town.

IMO, the current policy will sew confusion among the many mayors who do not religiously read the forums and ill will from those who are forced to pass up juicy towns in favor of options they consider lesser. It will also lead some to mistakenly consider the current $375 count upgrade packages to be expensive work-arounds necessitated by this policy.

That's my analysis based on the information that I have. There are undoubtedly errors in my logic and data, and I know I can count on those here to point them out. 😊 Thanks.

Scorus

8/26/2019 10:38:59 AM #1

The problem is that any County unclaimed by a count will be filled in by an NPC, and a Town+ is need in order to funtion as a government seat, because land management UI unlocks at town

in either scenario, PC or NPC, Soulbound doesn't want to artificially boost a settlement when it becomes the county seat, hence the reason why every county has atleast 1 town+ settlement in it

Soulbound is going for the most organically existing game world possible, so doing something like settlement upgrades just isn't feasible or likely to even be considered

I would love it if us mayors could all get our own town, but we can't force SbS to alter the natural world, thats our job

The best suggestion I can make to counter yours is to make Villages have a Land management UI if ran by a Count+

Mayor of Gartalia, A short distance south of the Holy Capital of Victrovia, Melonia - Friend Code: 464345

8/26/2019 10:40:56 AM #2

I realize one intent here is to avoid having to upgrade hamlets and villages to towns after a truant count belatedly selects one in a county where the only town+ settlement is already selected. But this policy will also create the need for similar upgrades: Players will purchase a village or hamlet in a county that does not have a count, purchase that county in reverse auction, and then their original village or hamlet will have to be upgraded to a town to be the county seat. I think this will also result in more hamlet-to-town conversions (as there are many 1 Town+ settlement counties that do not have villages), which could have especially harsh sustainability consequences.

I think when you get your county in reverse auction, the rule of 1 town+ left is still active. So the town+ probably comes with the count title. Even if you had a hamlet, the county seat is in town. No need for upgrades.

Barony of Kern’s gate

8/26/2019 3:00:08 PM #3

The location of the land management table isn't tied to a specific building. You could place it anywhere as far as I know, which makes the locking of towns for counts a bit odd. Or have they now said that the county table must reside in a town hall and cannot be moved?

8/26/2019 3:13:42 PM #4

Posted By Kaynadin at 11:00 AM - Mon Aug 26 2019

The location of the land management table isn't tied to a specific building. You could place it anywhere as far as I know, which makes the locking of towns for counts a bit odd. Or have they now said that the county table must reside in a town hall and cannot be moved?

Actually the land table is tied to the townhall

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

8/26/2019 3:15:53 PM #5

Posted By Kaynadin at 10:00 AM - Mon Aug 26 2019

You can’t place a county level LMT in a settlement less than a town in size.

8/26/2019 3:22:44 PM #6

It's not a problem for my community and I'm sure plenty of others because we have merged counties, but I can definitely see the concern when I look at how many counties (especially in the northern biomes) have 1 town and maybe a hamlet or 2.

The best solution I can think of is make it so that counts aren't also mayors by default- by all means let player counts opt in or out of being mayors of their towns without any special requirements, but maybe NPC counts just manage their county while player mayors manage the town itself.

8/26/2019 3:26:23 PM #7

What I would Like to know for us Mayors with Multi-titles what are the limitations on upgrading? For example, if I get a village technically speaking I will get +10 parcels of land and +50 population, Does that mean my settlement becomes a town if it hits the minimum requirements or hamlet into a village? what are the limitations to my bonuses?

Mayor of the City of Widow's Reach, Thane of Clan Hammerbull

8/26/2019 3:40:12 PM #8

Posted By Bhear at 10:26 AM - Mon Aug 26 2019

What I would Like to know for us Mayors with Multi-titles what are the limitations on upgrading? For example, if I get a village technically speaking I will get +10 parcels of land and +50 population, Does that mean my settlement becomes a town if it hits the minimum requirements or hamlet into a village? what are the limitations to my bonuses?

Yes and you will get the required buildings automatically. At least at this point per Snipe they will pop randomly on an unoccupied parcel.

However that doesn’t mean that location will be able to sustain the town/city without spending EP to upgrade the infrastructure first.

In my case any town I select as a count becomes a city with my extra titles.

8/26/2019 4:08:00 PM #9

Posted By Malais at 10:15 AM - Mon Aug 26 2019

So if that town shrinks down the line to a village size does the count lose access to that table? Does the county cease to be? I wonder how that plays out.

8/26/2019 4:45:06 PM #10

can a count then pick a settlement that with their bonuses will upgrade to a town+

Friend Code: 6DEF22

8/26/2019 5:05:07 PM #11

Posted By Kaynadin at 11:08 AM - Mon Aug 26 2019

Posted By Malais at 10:15 AM - Mon Aug 26 2019

So if that town shrinks down the line to a village size does the count lose access to that table? Does the county cease to be? I wonder how that plays out?

I would assume nothing changes...? Once the minimum requirements are met and the town hall is built it won’t suddenly vanish if the town drops below the threshold. The limit is for building the building not keeping it. If you allow it to collapse and don’t maintain it you may not be able to rebuild. That’s the only way to lose it I could see.

8/26/2019 5:05:45 PM #12

Posted By HEGEMONZERO at 11:45 AM - Mon Aug 26 2019

can a count then pick a settlement that with their bonuses will upgrade to a town+

No must be a town + before the extra titles are applied. Snipe did say if there is a fringe case where a town isn’t available they have to pick the next highest one and it would become a town automatically.

8/26/2019 5:13:01 PM #13

Yeah after the counts have had a full week to pick I don't see any reason to keep that rule in place. If anything if late counts place and only have a hamlet just upgrade it to a bare minimum town, we're only talking a couple parcels difference. Or don't even upgrade the parcels just add a town hall and management table.

Still the problem is perhaps a bit overstated as most of the counts will have already picked so a lot of those towns would have already been claimed or even will be folded into multi-counties which no longer have the restriction of single town.

8/26/2019 5:25:50 PM #14

nice thought dekul be nice if they changed it to that

Friend Code: 6DEF22

8/26/2019 5:38:09 PM #15

Posted By Dekul at 1:13 PM - Mon Aug 26 2019

Yeah after the counts have had a full week to pick I don't see any reason to keep that rule in place. If anything if late counts place and only have a hamlet just upgrade it to a bare minimum town, we're only talking a couple parcels difference. Or don't even upgrade the parcels just add a town hall and management table.

Still the problem is perhaps a bit overstated as most of the counts will have already picked so a lot of those towns would have already been claimed or even will be folded into multi-counties which no longer have the restriction of single town.

I could get behind this idea. But I'd even take it a step further and make it so the late Count would have to pick the next highest AND boost it up to a town+ on his own via extra mayor titles, tokens or during expo. If he can't, then he's going to have a very tough time as a Count without access to all the tools needed to run the county. If I remember right, the LMT is tied to a townhall. I don't see anything wrong with dropping one into a village, so there is that option as well that SbS can use.