COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Concerns

I'm 110% certain that a mod or community manager is going to remove my post, even though it does not break any rules. Simply, because lately both on the website and in the Discord we can't speak honestly/freely and respectful critics of the game are considered taboo. Which is why I created a different account. Since it’s normal for anyone with second thoughts here to be bullied quite or simply banned. I'm tired of having to speak about the elephant in the room in private discords with others like its not a thing. And please don't pretend that there is not a large unhappy part of the community, we're here, we just get censored down.

So, I've been invested in CoE since it opened its Kickstarter doors. I love the idea of the game. However, that's all it's come to be, just an idea. We currently have no actual poof that the game is anywhere close to being solidly in development. And there are starting to be whispers within the community of invested players being upset about the sheer lack of actual solid information, gameplay, etc. Although we can’t speak openly without being targeted. Sure, we have a few YouTube videos, community updates, and lore but that's not actual proof of anything at all. Right now all we really have are fairytales. And I know what's going to be said "please give them time." Well, we have given them time.

I’m starting to view CoE like I view George R. R. Martins next Game of Thrones book. As awesome as it sounds, it’s a pipe dream.

In addition, we have the issue of SBS being hostile toward any critics whatsoever, including invested community members. It’s honestly become a lot like EA and how they handle things. And let us not pretend it's not happened and still isn't happening. Silly outbursts towards media outlets and community members by SBS leadership for just being honest about what they see happening.

I’m not here to try to sell you on anything or cause any trouble. I am simply pointing out very clear concerns that continue to be a issue. I’m heavily invested in CoE at $7,500, which I now feel like a fool for doing so. I now just consider my money a complete loss. This experience has also taught me a lesson. Never ever invest in Kickstarter, crowd funded, or “promise games”. They promise you the whole world and have no actual reason to deliver.

With all this said I do hope I am wrong. But until we see actual proof of a solid game, CoE is a pipe dream, and we the player base need to make it known our investment means something.

9/18/2019 12:38:21 AM #16

Don't bother sharing any concerns here. You just get shut down hard. Pretty much every single thread that has, goes the same way. I'm only surprised the OP hasn't be downvoted to hell yet.

9/18/2019 12:51:37 AM #17

Development is a slow process, that why huge companies take 5 to 6 years before release. We not only kick started a dream , but what many gamers want in an MMO. I remember back in 2015 when I joined and loved the idea, but also thougth back about game called wish that wanted to much of what this team of Devs are tying to do. It takes time, relax enjoy other games follow the forums, stay positive. I have been burned many times but I do not have that feeling here.

9/18/2019 3:29:00 AM #18

Made some life long friends, sure I paid a ton of money but I've made some life long friends that I'm starting to know better than my RL best friends. So I can say money well spent at this time.

9/18/2019 8:04:34 AM #19

Posted By Tarvald at 8:29 PM - Tue Sep 17 2019

Made some life long friends, sure I paid a ton of money but I've made some life long friends that I'm starting to know better than my RL best friends. So I can say money well spent at this time.

I mean honestly THIS

I also have joined a community. Spent hours theory crafting. Games nights. Dance of dynasties type intrigue and fun.

No, the game isnt out and maybe its not making the progress you want but I firmly believe a game will be released. Until then Ill still enjoy the community that wouldn't exist w.o this game.

Money well spent. Will spend more likely.

9/18/2019 8:45:24 AM #20

While I do partly agree on some points you make its also a fact that even AAA studios need more than 3 years to make a game lets alone a MMO.

For example DA:I toke 3.5 years and they where able to reuse alot of mechanics and assets from the previous installments.

WoW the largest MMO to date toke 4-5 years and is rumored to have taken 6-7 years with predevelopment.

9/18/2019 8:47:35 AM #21

Game developing can't be rushed, or it will go horribly wring. If you really have doubts about the way things are going, take a little distance from the matter. Go play something else in the mean time. Don't hang around on this forum. It doesn't help you and the game will not develop any faster, I hope.

9/18/2019 9:32:52 AM #22

I'm well aware I've bought into a promise. I saw a talented team share a resonant vision of where they want to take the industry. Everyone, from those who checked back to this site infrequently, to those who made an account to keep up with news, to those who spent money, carry with each of us at least a mote of trust in their ability to pull this project to the finish.

We're not supporting this game for the promise of commanding a pixel on a map. That's all just a buy-in to their premise—a token for backers to leave their marks, and to posterity say, "We helped this project get underway." Such is the same for every item in their store. They are, each of them, tokens of support—and, I ask: are we not, as the customers, the best arbiters to determine with what and in what manner SbS should be supported? What I am saying is, us giving our vocal-to-material support is the best we can do in the positions we’re in. Our excitement and support, to-date, gave SbS the renown and the means, to attract and hire increased talent that improves our chances of seeing this project completed—and it will be so erroneous for us to abandon them in their work, for what we’ve always expected as the shuffling of timelines and priorities.

Let us remember, we're supporting this game for what its success means to shaping gameplay moving forward. SbS wants to advance the genre, and we want to see that happen, don't we? We know they believe in themselves to accomplish this goal, don’t we? If the passion is there, if the talent is there, if the technology is there, can we not refrain from splintering to the pressures of reclining at the finish line? We stew in our eagerness, right at the end of the marathon—and we want to see them cross that finish, so let’s hang in there.

Thanks for sharing your concerns, Miss Miss. We all have them. We groan when plans are scrapped and changed, deadlines missed or mangled, and I’ve been there too, ready to critique methods of SbS—but we can always engage constructively (as really, I sense you’re doing now), and we can ultimately assuage fears of our trust being squandered by chatting with the community here to reflect on how far we’ve all come in CoE’s life.

9/18/2019 10:34:11 AM #23

Now THIS ist how concerns should be discussed! Keep it up! Even if I don't feel like I want to contribute something to the discussion right now I want to thank for almost everything that has been said here. CoE's community at it's best! Much appreciated! Ty

9/18/2019 10:48:52 AM #24

"No proof the game is in development"

literally 2 weeks ago we got alpha gameplay, as well as many snippets of world gen, and dss is out.

I mean, ngl this is even more ridiculous than me

• Proprietor • Programmer • Gamer • PsalmFirewall • NA-W • Friend Code: 62E37D •

9/18/2019 11:14:23 AM #25

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 8:13 PM - Tue Sep 17 2019

Posted By Kyleran at 7:20 PM - Tue Sep 17 2019

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 4:27 PM - Tue Sep 17 2019

I have my fair share of posts out of my 3000 arguing with the developers. I've personally never seen that you can't go against the devs and I do so alot at least imo.

Kind of crappy that a AAA game can hide their development completely and show nothing and still have everyone ready for a sure-fire release but CoE who constantly shares their work is a pipe dream. Must be frustrating as a developer. It's the classic plot theme of the rich kid not having try nearly as hard for the same results. Like a AAA game can literally only give a group of players it's name or sometimes even it's code name and that's all it takes.

AAA games normally fund development entirely on their own, asking little or nothing of their customers until the game is well on the way to delivery, so your comparison is invalid.

Funding source is really irrelevant. All it takes is for one to go on steam or any similar publishing platform and see that any non-AAA game has this issue crowdfunded or not... The second a non-AAA goes even semi-quiet you have tinfoil hats flying.

Perhaps because when game devs of any size suddenly go quiet very often it's a good sign things aren't going well.

SBS and Caspian in particular are practically ghosting their backers these days compared to communications from 2015 to 2017.

There's wisdom in the tea leaves for those who can read them.

😈

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

9/18/2019 11:18:01 AM #26

Posted By Loggy at 8:51 PM - Tue Sep 17 2019

I have been burned many times but I do not have that feeling here.

Neither did the folks who set sail on the Titanic's maiden voyage.. .

😈

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

9/18/2019 11:25:10 AM #27

Posted By Kyleran at 1:14 PM - Wed Sep 18 2019

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 8:13 PM - Tue Sep 17 2019

Posted By Kyleran at 7:20 PM - Tue Sep 17 2019

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 4:27 PM - Tue Sep 17 2019

I have my fair share of posts out of my 3000 arguing with the developers. I've personally never seen that you can't go against the devs and I do so alot at least imo.

Kind of crappy that a AAA game can hide their development completely and show nothing and still have everyone ready for a sure-fire release but CoE who constantly shares their work is a pipe dream. Must be frustrating as a developer. It's the classic plot theme of the rich kid not having try nearly as hard for the same results. Like a AAA game can literally only give a group of players it's name or sometimes even it's code name and that's all it takes.

AAA games normally fund development entirely on their own, asking little or nothing of their customers until the game is well on the way to delivery, so your comparison is invalid.

Funding source is really irrelevant. All it takes is for one to go on steam or any similar publishing platform and see that any non-AAA game has this issue crowdfunded or not... The second a non-AAA goes even semi-quiet you have tinfoil hats flying.

Perhaps because when game devs of any size suddenly go quiet very often it's a good sign things aren't going well.

SBS and Caspian in particular are practically ghosting their backers these days compared to communications from 2015 to 2017.

There's wisdom in the tea leaves for those who can read them.

😈

Cant agree, while communication is less than 2 years back there is still enough. We get a monthly update, q&a and they are fairly active in their communication channels.

9/18/2019 11:37:12 AM #28

Posted By Leiywen at 04:45 AM - Wed Sep 18 2019

While I do partly agree on some points you make its also a fact that even AAA studios need more than 3 years to make a game lets alone a MMO.

For example DA:I toke 3.5 years and they where able to reuse alot of mechanics and assets from the previous installments.

WoW the largest MMO to date toke 4-5 years and is rumored to have taken 6-7 years with predevelopment.

Totally valid point, since we're doing comparisons let's look at CU and SC, both well past the 6 plus year mark in development despite seemingly having greater resources yet each could easily hit 8 yrs before launch.

So, for COE we can see you all in game around 2024, yes?

Better keep digging into those wallets folks...

Those under the bridge well understand taking the long view.

😈

9/18/2019 11:42:08 AM #29

Posted By Gnox at 06:34 AM - Wed Sep 18 2019

Now THIS ist how concerns should be discussed! Keep it up! Even if I don't feel like I want to contribute something to the discussion right now I want to thank for almost everything that has been said here. CoE's community at it's best! Much appreciated! Ty

And then there's me, here keeping it real....

Cheers

😈

9/18/2019 11:50:40 AM #30

Posted By Kyleran at 1:42 PM - Wed Sep 18 2019

And then there's me, here keeping it real....

Cheers

😈

No rule without exception! cheers :)